735 Forest Ave.
Birmingham, MI 48009Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.theforestgrill.com/
- Phone: 2482589400x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner Monday - Saturday 5:00 pm - 11:00 pm
Feel free to call with any special requests or party information!
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Italian, French
- Executive Chef: Nick Janutol
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Artistic, fresh, locally inspired Epicurean cuisine. Set with elegance and designed for the senses. From small plates to custom tailored event, our gourmet fare is unrivaled.
Off site, restaurant buy out available.
- Private Party Facilities: The suite incorporates luxurious finishes with an edgy, urban design. A board room with seating for 14, a sophisticated lounge, top-of-the-line kitchens, and an elegant lobby define this space.
The suite offers the ideal location to host corporate meetings, personal or private events, cocktail parties, or lectures. With numerous room configurations, the suite remains highly adaptable to creating a unique environment to suit any of your event needs. The lounge can seat 48 guests for dinner and up to 100 guests for auditorium style presentations. The board room offers a myriad of opportunities from conference arrangements to intimate dinner parties and cocktail gatherings. State of the art technology and communication equipment enhances your experience.
- Private Party Contact: Kaitlyn 2482589400x
- Special Events: Call to ask about up coming wine and beer dinners, cooking classes, and special event parties!
A word from Forest Grill
Cooking what nature provides, The Forest Grill serves an ever-changing menu inspired by local produce, served up in a sophisticated and chic space, in the Triangle Disctrict of Birmingham, Michigan.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
Forest Grill - Best Restaurants in Birmingham ›
Forest Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
52 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (39)special occasion (28)neighborhood gem (26)notable wine list (26)romantic (15)good for groups (5)great for outdoor dining (3)late-night find (3)hot spot (2)vibrant bar scene (1)kid-friendly (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- JanvierDined on 10/11/2014The apps in particular were phenomenal!! We will definitely be back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always wonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/11/2014My husband and I have dined here 4-5 times and we continue to look forward to each experience. Knowledgable, attentive staff, innovative and delicious selections and a consistently warm atmosphere make Forest Grill our favorite Birmingham restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Middling for the MoneySteveStDined on 10/4/2014I had dinner with my wife and son at Forest Grill. Service was attentive, but not intrusive. The food was mediocre. I had ribeye steak that appeared to be prepared sous-vide style. At least that was what my tablemates thought when it came out. The steak was dry and bland, and not very good. My wife had the monkfish, which was prepared by wrapping it in pig caul so that it came out like a sausage! The dominant flavor was salt. It might have been a much better dish if less salt was used in its preparation. My son's pork shoulder was also unimpressive. tender, but unimaginatively seasoned. Overall, a disappointing meal for the money!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 9/27/2014Forest Grill has been around for a number of years and has had its ups and downs, but since Chef Nick has taken over the dining experience has been very much up. Our dinner on this visit was nothing less than superb. We were there on the first night of the new fall menu. Both my husband and I ordered the chicken dish with lentils and mushrooms. The chicken was done to perfection and the smokey flavor of the bed of lentils and mushrooms was a tasty complement to it. Add to this attentive service, a robust Manhattan and tasteful wine list and you have a great place for a Saturday night date.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An excellent findmtbrenfoodiesDined on 9/26/2014With many choices, fortunately we found the Forest Grill. There was a brief point where our server was not available, but Josh filled in and became our server for the evening. Josh did an excellent job explaining the charcuterie options (we asked several times because there were some great options!) Josh also recommended some excellent bottles of wine outside of our taste comfort range, but they are now in the favorites list. We ordered more than we typically would and did not regret it. The Farm Egg, Cauliflower Ravioli, Pork Shoulder - all excellent. The Monk Fish had a much milder flavor profile, so did not stand up well against the charcuterie and other dishes, but we would order it again, but with different wine and appetizers.Special Features:
- We'll still come back...BloomfieldHillsDined on 9/19/2014The good: great service team. Owner/Sommelier very involved and open to feedback. Great wine list. Ambience "clean" and friendly. And not loud. The bad: Entrees were not great. Kudo for creativity. But execution not so great. Monkfish had a fishy taste. Short rib cannelloni with pasta too al dente and meat too dry. Would have benefitted from a sauce as well. Almond cake/pastis ice cream could have been great, if the cake had been more moist and the ice-cream more of the pastis/licorice taste. A bit bland.Special Features:
- Expected amazing...meh!FrancoisDined on 9/18/2014Took some people out to celebrate a contract getting signed. Expected greatness...was met with mediocrity. I ordered the snap pea risotto with prawns. I make better risotto and the "prawns" had to have been one prawn cut into five pieces. My dinner companions' portions were minuscule and bland. Throughout dinner, we all had the impression this place would not be around for very long. Will not go back.Special Features:
- njoywinewfoodDined on 9/11/2014Great atmosphere, the restaurant is well set and comfortable, reminded me of the European modern style. My wife and I decided to go for the full menu with wine pairing. Food quality and variety were excellent. Dishes were nicely presented and full of different and interesting ingredients and flavors. My wife particularly enjoyed the charcuterie as a starter. The conversations with the sommelier gave an extra dimension to the enjoyment of the food and the selection of the off-the-beaten path wines was excellent. Great experience, highly recommended for special ocassions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Local ChefOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/11/2014Bottom line: Very good food & presentation (though small portions), service "average", ambiance "average" = mediocre value, not the complete package for the price.Special Features:
- PerfectionAlyssaDined on 9/8/2014My husband and I, along with a friend, decided to have dinner here while our friend was in town. We definitely came to the right spot! We started the meal with champagne & Manhattans (the Manhattans are fantastic - the cherries they use are pickled and still taste sweet & incredible) before moving on to the appetizers. My favorite appetizer was the Farm Egg - honestly, such a unique and delicious appetizer! We also enjoyed the charcuterie board & tarte flambe. For dinner we all split 3 entrees: Pea Risotto, Short Rib Cannelloni, and a fish (I can't remember which one - it may have been a daily special). For dessert, we split the Brioche Monkey Bread. AMAZING! Loved it all - can't wait to come back! The service was great, food impeccable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice surprisenoneDined on 9/3/2014Forest Grill is all around well done. The staff really knows the food and wine well. The menu is nicely varied though pork is definitely the forte. I ordered the pork shoulder which came with mashed potatoes, both were wrapped in a very delicate cannelloni pasta. The flavors, textures, and intensities of each bite were very well balanced and full. I would recommend Forest Grill to anyone serious about food (not fast food).Special Features:
- Great evening out.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/23/2014One of the best metro restaurants. Great food, good wine list, attentive staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Forest grill is solidEblondeDined on 8/23/2014Food consistently excellent. Pastry chef amazing! Not too sweet and unusual combinations that went together perfectly. Fish dishes cooked and seasoned perfectly so that the flavor of the fish is center stage. All ingredients super fresh.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Foodie nicheNotafoodieDined on 8/9/2014The chefs are passionate about creating a unique exotic dish however it's almost goes too far and in the end the restaurant is not for most. It is very expensive, but pretty average setting. The for is creative, but probably so far out of the mainstream that it might not make it.Special Features:
- Casual atmosphere and great food.TdysohDined on 8/1/2014We have been to Forest Grill twice. We had great service both evenings. The food is fun and nice to share if you have a group. The cocktails are delicious. We went early because we have a thirteen year old. Reservations were for 6:30. We did not have to wait and the service was very prompt but not rushed. I would go back again for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome dinner experienceRandyDined on 7/29/2014This was my fourth time to Forest Grill and each time I go, the staff is great and the food is delicious!Special Features:
- Worth trying againReviewer36Dined on 7/26/2014We gave up on Forest Grill a couple of years ago because it's service was not good at all. We tried it again ten days ago and our service was superb. So we went back again Saturday and found the service not so hot again. The problem seems to be with the level of staffing, not with the attitudes of the servers.Special Features:
- Outstanding SommelierOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/24/2014My wife and I truly enjoyed our dining experience at Forest Grill - with two young kids, we don't get out much, and we looked forward to the Beard-nominated restaurant. Joseph, the GM/Sommelier provided extraordinary service - both by explaining some specific wine-pairing distinctions (including terroir information that was very informative) and by making some suggestions that really enhanced the experience. The charcuterie plate was exceptional, and the monkfish entree was one of the best restaurant meals I've enjoyed in years. I would wholeheartedly recommend Forest Grill as a not-to-miss choice, even in this highly competitive restaurant area. We will certainly return!Special Features:
- The Best Birmingham Restaurantdrcunn1VIPDined on 7/12/2014Forest Grill is a foodies delight. We live in Bloomfield Hills and dine in Birmingham at least twice a week. Forest Grill's menu is innovative and truly"fine dining". The salads are superb their signature soups are exquisite. I frequently have a chicken dish and my husband fish. His halibut was prepared in parchment and seasoned to perfection. You'll have room for dessert because the portions are just the right size. We suggest the monkey bread with banana fosters ice cream and a pineapple drizzle (served on the side). We're fortunate to have many very good restaurants nearby but Forest Grill is a cut above.Special Features:
- eh...flavoerloverDined on 7/5/2014The dishes were prepared in interesting ways but they were lacking in flavor. I was disappointed.
- Excellent MealjfeechDined on 6/27/2014Our first experience with this place was great. The charcuterie was exceptional and all courses were cooked perfect. Definitely a keeper.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/27/2014This is the restaurant we dine at on a regular basis. The food is not the type you find on a menu with pics, just in case you don't know what a hamburger looks like! There are no pictures! Just food prepared like none other ( and we have eaten world wide) in the area. Salmon and Halibut to die for. Special small plate combination for those who want just a bit! Try it, you will come back again and again!Fresh, seasonal ingredients! Bryan (owner) has done it again.Special Features:
- The following 352 reviews are from the Forest Grill reviews archive.
- Unexpected and horribleDisappointedDined on 6/21/2014Gone to FG many times before, and it's usually for a special event. This time was for my husbands' birthday. He attempted to order the NY strip and was told that they were out of that and instead had a bone out prime rib steak etc. They also said they recommended it medium rare which my husband said was perfect, that's what he would have ordered. After an hr wait they brought us some pasta because they didn't like the first steak. Steak 2 that they served was completely overdone, pretty much medium well to well. I had to eat while he waited for a 3rd steak which came out and was STILL OVER COOKED! At FG, this is completely unacceptable. I know the named chef wasn't back there but if you can't trust your line cooks to cook steak...Special Features:
- Great meal and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 6/21/2014My wife and I just moved home to the Detroit area after 10+ years away and we were pleasantly surprised to try Forest Grill as one of our first meals out back home. I can honestly say that the food quality and creativity was on par with the better restaurants we frequented in Chicago.Special Features:
- Fresh, delicious, delightful!TheresaDined on 6/9/2014My husband and I had the five course tasting menu along with the wine pairing, and every course was well-prepared, well-timed, appropriately proportioned, and so tasty. It was a lovely evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 5/31/2014Food was really just ok. I have had much better around town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very underwhelming.AnonymousDined on 5/28/2014Food was ok, not bad, just ok. Considering the price for dinner, I don't see any reason to go there again. Service was rather weak to say the least. I should specify that it was the waitress. Those who served the food where fine, but the waitress was terrible. The ambiance is loud. Everything was just plain ok. For a $200+ dinner for two, it was extremely disappointing and I won't bother with them again? NY Strip was bland, though the Grouper was pretty good. Bread is hard and the cheese board is fair at best. At the end the listless waitress just dropped the bill on the table without as much as a simple would you like anything else. We just laughed and said, well I guess we are done. Do yourself a favor, don't bother!
- We will be back.OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 5/24/2014Our great experience started with the bartender who recommended some fun, clever, original cocktails. He clearly takes his job seriously. We met friends and all of us enjoyed our meals - everything was delicious and the wine recommendation was on target. The short rib cannelloni was incredible.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another great mealJFRuschVIPDined on 5/14/2014Had a business dinner with folks that love food. The food was wonderful - try the Farm Egg, really. Everyone enjoyed their food. The wine choices were wonderful and we got valuable help in making our selections. You come for the food and wine but the service - which was great - makes the evening.Special Features:
- If you're in to wine...OldWinoDined on 5/10/2014This place has quite the extensive wine list, and also a sommelier so guide you through it if need be. I had an excellent NY strip and apple tart for dessert and washed it all down with a petite sirah of exquisite taste.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TastyGreatFoodButExpensiveDined on 5/9/2014I love that they had a daily changing 5 course chef's special. It was delicious! And perfect portion size! I'll definitely be back. Even though my date and I look young, we were still treated with respect and had great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Creative MenuOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/2/2014The menu was full of interesting items and unique flavors. the service was excellent and the waitress knew each dish well.Special Features:
- Outstanding food and service!ZvilleFoodieDined on 4/16/2014The food was top notch...real focus on quality organic ingredients. The wait staff and sommelier were very knowledgeable and extremely attentive. I highly recommend this place for foodies or anyone willing to be a little adventurous (not too much...just enough).Special Features:
- Fit for foodiesCorkladyGKSDined on 4/12/2014Finally! A Detroit menu that is thoughtful, exciting and different! We've lived here for four years and have been disappointed by the "same old thing" at most restaurants in metro Detroit. Not so at Forest Grill! Delicious, thoughtful food with equal care taken with the extensive wine list and perfect wine pairings on the tasting menu. Excellent service as well! We'll definitely be back frequently! Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gourmet FoodjetskiboatVIPDined on 4/11/2014Great experience. Good at a quality level above the rest. Even the simple things are unique.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food!Aggie80Dined on 4/9/2014Really nice Charcuterie selection. The Farm Egg in the starters is excellent! Really enjoyed the food, nice selection and really wonderful flavors.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pricey but goodopentablefanVIPDined on 4/5/2014I miss the veal. I am always sad when my favorite item isn't on the new seasonal menu. Forest Grill has a very limited menu but I can usually find something delicious despite my dietary restrictions.
- The table service was good,MichaelPDined on 4/3/2014The table service was good, but this particular evening, and not overly busy, they were short-staffed with the manager filling in as he could. The drinks were very slow in coming but the bartender seemed content doing whatever non-tending thing he was doing that precluded him from pouring four glasses of wine. Our waiter was very nice and did the very best he could to cover our table as well as the others her was responsible for. The appetizers and entrees were good to very good..no complaints. However our two desserts were uninspired. The Opera Cake was as dry as dust and the apple tart was nuked to its demise.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Did not live up to the billinglivetoeatDined on 3/22/2014Restaurant came highly recommended but we came away disappointed. The service left a lot to be desired and the food took a long time to arrive at the table but in all fairness they were quite busy. There were some exotic dishes on the menu but we went with the steak and fish options. The fish was not very well seasoned and the quality of steak was average at best. The ambience was nice and the décor was elegant.Special Features:
- Great food but slow kitchen tonightMikeDined on 3/22/2014The food was stellar as always, but the food took forever to arrive. I felt like the waitress wanted us to finish a bottle of wine before the soup arrived so that we would order another one. Not cool. But, as we had a lot of time, it didn't matter that much. I also mentioned that we were having a rehearsal dinner in the Open Table reservation, but no one at the restaurant even mentioned it. Odd. Oh, and we had to find our own coats at the coat check. A rather odd evening for a restaurant of this caliber.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.