735 Forest Ave.
Birmingham, MI 48009Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.theforestgrill.com/
- Phone: 2482589400x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner Monday - Saturday 5:00 pm - 11:00 pm
Feel free to call with any special requests or party information!
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Italian, French
- Executive Chef: Nick Janutol
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Artistic, fresh, locally inspired Epicurean cuisine. Set with elegance and designed for the senses. From small plates to custom tailored event, our gourmet fare is unrivaled.
Off site, restaurant buy out available.
- Private Party Facilities: The suite incorporates luxurious finishes with an edgy, urban design. A board room with seating for 14, a sophisticated lounge, top-of-the-line kitchens, and an elegant lobby define this space.
The suite offers the ideal location to host corporate meetings, personal or private events, cocktail parties, or lectures. With numerous room configurations, the suite remains highly adaptable to creating a unique environment to suit any of your event needs. The lounge can seat 48 guests for dinner and up to 100 guests for auditorium style presentations. The board room offers a myriad of opportunities from conference arrangements to intimate dinner parties and cocktail gatherings. State of the art technology and communication equipment enhances your experience.
- Private Party Contact: Kaitlyn 2482589400x
- Special Events: Call to ask about up coming wine and beer dinners, cooking classes, and special event parties!
A word from Forest Grill
Cooking what nature provides, The Forest Grill serves an ever-changing menu inspired by local produce, served up in a sophisticated and chic space, in the Triangle Disctrict of Birmingham, Michigan.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
Forest Grill - Best Restaurants in Birmingham ›
Forest Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
49 reviews since June 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (36)special occasion (26)notable wine list (21)neighborhood gem (20)romantic (15)good for groups (5)great for outdoor dining (5)vibrant bar scene (1)kid-friendly (1)late-night find (1)hot spot (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Dessert was the best part!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/13/2013My husband and I dined here on a Saturday evening in July and sat outside. The atmosphere was great and the food was good. Our server was somewhat new and was very nice but some of the service seemed a bit slow. We weren't sure why they didn't serve us bread BEFORE the appetizers came out, as we had to ask for it. My pasta appetizer was too oily but otherwise had a nice flavor. My husband enjoyed his charcuterie tray of meats. The entrees that we ordered were both good - the halibut and the salmon - but the best was the dessert! The lemon dessert had the perfect flavor inside a flaky crust that was topped with berries - one of the best desserts I have ever had! My husband also enjoyed his chocolate dessert which was served in a coffee cup.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- simple and excellentOpulentinOrlandoDined on 7/12/2013the menu is limited to what they can prepare well. Start off with the charcuterie and then consider the dinner for two. we had the trout. It was perfect. the wine list had some good pairing by the glass. If you have a group, I would start to explore the bottle service. overall a great dinner. we'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Forest GrillOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 7/6/2013We were pleasantly surprised at how great this restaurant is. While we expected the food to be good based on what we had read, we loved the fact that we could talk and hear each other without yelling, and that the wait staff were well informed and helpful, but not intrusive. It was a great evening.Special Features:
- New chef reenergizesJmdskylineDined on 7/6/2013The new young chef at Forest Grill is bringing some great new menu ideas and executes them very well. We had a whole duck for two and it was prepared and presented perfectly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent experienceAk3536VIPDined on 7/6/2013The food and service were wonderful. The manager was very attentive and informative. I cannot wait to come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good local gem3daughterswhineDined on 7/5/2013A very creative menu. Had the watermelon and cucumber salad which was excellent, very flavorful combination. For an entree, I had the salmon, which was under seasoned, but the squash blossoms were excellent. My husband had the sirloin, which he really liked and the potato cannoli was fabulous. The wine menu was almost too large, and they had a nice selection of dessert wines and port. Desserts were all wonderful, refreshing and light.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SuperbDavidDined on 6/26/2013We are not easy customers - Vegan, allergic to mushrooms, berries, and melons and we came to The Forest Grill on a whim with no notice (and no prep time). Chef, Nick Janutol ,and server, Lindsay rose to the challenge and delivered a superb, off the menu, meal. Our first course was a lovely endive, orange, & asparagus citrus salad. Crisp, light, just a touch of dressing, a perfect starter. Our main course was phenomenal - tempura squash blossoms, roasted red pepper & tomato confit. Tasty, unusual, innovative. Dessert was simple and delicious - black mission figs in lime and mint syrup. Service was top notch. Both Chef Janutol and the manager checked in with us throughout the evening. This meal exceeded our expectations!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chef Brian always scores highFinediningexpertDined on 6/19/2013Very creative menu (could use a few more options, like adding a chicken protein and a another beef entree). service was god although the kitchen got hit hard with three large parties so there was a 30 minute lag between appetizer and entree.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's back!opentablefanVIPDined on 6/15/2013We took a chance and returned to Forest Grill for our anniversary dinner despite being underwhelmed on our last few visits. Our server a young blonde woman whose name escapes me was spectacular. We normally are very decisive when ordering and want/need little help in choosing our menu. In this case our server's snthusiasm was contagious and we allowed her to help us choose and didn't regret it. The food was the best I have ever had at Forest Grill. Congrats to the new chef and management. We can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- We had waited a few monthsMsmcVIPDined on 6/14/2013We had waited a few months for the new chef to settle in after a couple of disappointing meals during the transition. This dinner was much better, and the menu has filled out. We had the duck, halibut, and pork belly, all of which were well prepared and delicious. The new chef's style is much simpler than Chef David's - really no sauces and very pared down accompaniments but much better overall.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great and Interesting FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/1/2013Third time at this restaurant. Very interesting menu and food was well presented and tasted great. Would definitely return but only with guests who are into different types of food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good stuff!OneThinDineDined on 6/1/2013Forest Grille is a quality, friendly, somewhat fancy-pants neighborhood restaurant that takes care of its customers. Because it's not a food factory like the big steak houses there's not a huge selection but specialize in all fresh, creative recipes that are nicely presented. The clientele is a bit older with some arty types mixed in and definitely not kid-friendly all making for a pleasant and quiet experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner with FriendsOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/25/2013We went to the Forest Grill to celebrate dinner. Our waiter did a great job recommending different appetizers and entrees. All of the food was excellent, but I did not feel like it was worth the money.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New Chef & GM = Wow!SteakMonsterVIPDined on 5/10/2013The new chef and general manager have stepped up the game. The food is amazing and even better than before. If you love food, you will love Forest Grill. This is a Michelin star like cuisine! Bravo.Special Features:
- Watch the help...OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/10/2013Food was amazing. Waitress belonged more at a diner than at Forest Grill. Nice person but when ordering an Orin Swift wine and the waitress replies "Now which one is that again hon?", you know she either needs to be better trained or replaced.Special Features:
- Another great mealJFRuschVIPDined on 5/1/2013Duck for 2 - lavender honey glazed with fennel and brulee grapefruit - what is not to like? Appetizers do not disappoint. Everything is fresh and memorable. The service fits a great evening of food and wine. Servers are knowledgeable about the menu and the wine choices. Lots of great by-the-glass options. Great for a special occasion or just a great meal. Once you have dined here, it will make it to your favorite list. Valet parking is also available.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Took friends from Washington,D.C.glassguyVIPDined on 4/27/2013Took friends from Washington,D.C. We are all foodies and loved it. Ambience, food, service was all wonderful!Special Features:
- All steak, no sizzle. EverythingOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/26/2013All steak, no sizzle. Everything is done on a high end, and the service was excellent, but food was under seasoned and portions small. Would likely not go back. Appreciated the effort bybthe staff and even the chef/owner, put into making an anniversary dinner memorable, but it fell short of our expectations food wise...Special Features:
- We were very pleasantly surprisedfoodfreakVIPDined on 4/23/2013We were very pleasantly surprised upon our return to Forest Grill after a long absence. The drinks are still too small, but not as bad as they used to be, and the portions are larger and more worth the cost. The food is delicious. The Farm Egg is not to be missed. I could have licked the plate! Also noteworthy was the halibut in parchment and the strip steak. The server was also helpful and friendly and the wine list offered some reasonably priced selections.Special Features:
- Had the beet salad with goatgolferDined on 4/23/2013Had the beet salad with goat cheese and greens. It needed seasoning, the goat cheese was just a small dab of cheese hidden by the greens. Sent my salmon back to the kitchen so that it could be cooked all the way through. There was no problem with 5 different checks for our group of 8.
- Bland Food Missed the MarkOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/20/2013We have been regulars at FG since it opened. However, our most recent visit was very disappointing. The charcuterie was excellent, as usual. However, three out of four main dishes from the limited menu were marginal at best. The Salmon, the Braised Veal and the Chicken Confit were all bland and relatively tastelss despite the nice presentation. We supposed the chef was going for a light spring approach to the preparation. He missed. On top of the marginal food, they ran out of our favorite bottle of pinot on the limited wine list. We will not go back for some time.Special Features:
- Consistently GoodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/20/2013We've celebrated a number of special occasions at the Forest Grill and have never been disappointed. The atmosphere and dining experience make for a pleasant and satisfying evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good, interesting foodLORJARDined on 4/20/2013Very good, interesting food with small portions. Nice and quiet for talking with our friends.Special Features:
- Had higher hopes based onOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/18/2013Had higher hopes based on others' reviews. Went there with a friend for lunch. Restaurant wasn't very busy, which surprised me. Service was friendly but slow. Food was OK, but the menu was much more limited than what was shown on-line. Prices were too high for what we received. May try again, or may not.
- None of the dishes we hadOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/16/2013None of the dishes we had that night were especially interesting. We have been to Forest Grill many times before and things just felt off that night. We ordered a bottle of very fine Burgundy and that was the best part of the meal.Special Features:
- ExcellenceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/16/2013Yet again we were transported by the chef's extraordinary menu. We had the assorted charcuterie, lamb, veal and cod. It is amazing to eat so many dishes and not be able to say which is "best" when each is perfect.Special Features:
- Don't goCRedVIPDined on 4/13/2013Was very late to seat us, and many other couples, for reservations. Service was slow, food was served lukewarm and wine was not at proper temperature. Manager was rude and hostess had a nasty disposition. Some people who complained enough were treated to an appetizer for their inconvenience, but not everyone. Looks like they cater to regulars and don't care about everyone else's inconvenience. We booked in middle of day Saturday and were surprised to find so many open spots when most finer restaurants were booked solid. Now we know why.....We won't go back and it appears many other people have stopped going.Special Features:
- Never again!!OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 4/13/2013The service was terrible from the moment we stepped on the door. The hostess was not friendly. After waiting for our table for 30-40 minutes we kept waiting once again for a waitress. We ordered two drinks and asked multiple times to order dinner. After an hour had gone by we decided to leave. I spoke with gentleman in charge, and explain the situation. We have dined at Forest Grille at least 10 times and have experienced 1 good experience to 2 bad experience over the years. We are done trying to frequent Forrst Grille. On an entertaining note the waitress said she had the same table leave the night before!
- One to remember...OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/13/2013All in, one of the best dining experiences I've had in the state of Michigan. Exceptional food, consistent and attentive service, and a balanced, relaxed atmosphere that is missing in most fine dining establishments. I thoroughly enjoyed each item we sampled from the menu (though the preparation of the olive oil poached black cod with fava bean ragout stands out). I imagine that I would've felt similarly had I ordered completely blind. The menu was that well executed. Very highly recommended.Special Features:
- Good but not greatOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 4/13/2013We dined Saturday night. Our waitress was cheerful and helpful. Appetizers arrived promptly. Farm egg was outstanding. Arugula salad fine, not outstanding. Prosciutto pizza with fig sounded great, but was boring. Lots of crust with not much going on. Entrees took forever to arrive -- clearly the kitchen was having a BIG problem, yet no one discussed that with us. Luckily we were with good friends and a bottle of wine so we weren't too annoyed....but we had a right to be, for sure. When the entrees arrived (two fish dishes, one lamb, one veal) they were outstanding. We also ordered dessert. Pear and apple tarts. Which were bland and unexciting in presentation. The chef was in the house Saturday night. I hope he took notes.Special Features:
- Grab your Lipitor and come2particularVIPDined on 4/12/2013Grab your Lipitor and come on down for the most un "Heart Smart" cuisine in Michigan. If you like veal belly, yes, belly, fat laden, slow cooked, then this is the place for you. How about a $75 whole duck, carved off the bone into two 6 oz portions, not including the duck fat. I don't hate my money or my coronary arteries that much!Brian Polcyn was an outstanding chef who has done private parties in my home. What happened?
- Great appetizer - the FarmOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/6/2013Great appetizer - the Farm Egg. Wonderful fresh fish entrees. Best Hummer in town.Special Features:
- Great cocktails. OK food.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/6/2013Great cocktails. OK food. We had steak and veal which were both tough and chewy.Special Features:
- The menu was small and veryOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/5/2013The menu was small and very complicated. I work for a private chef and I had to ask ten minutes of questions to understand the dishes. Bryan needs to stop being on another planet with his descriptions. The one dish that was recommended and sounded terrific was the Farm Egg app. SO sad I had to ask for a salt shaker after two bites. Tried the black cod for main course. It was ok. no flavor added and again, needed the pepper and salt. Why no beef on menu? Two veal dishes, seafood, lamb..... very pricey and would not recommend it to anyone as it was a burden to get through....Special Features:
- New chef and be menu!Joyful1VIPDined on 4/5/2013I was wary of the new menu as I was a fan of several items on the original menu. I was not disappointed though! The lunch menu is abbreviated but has such creative choices. The salad options are lovely and unique. There is a lot to select from if you eat meat, which I do not. The choices for vegetarians are limited, but everything I had was perfect! I can't wait to return. (Chef even delivered our choices to our table and said hello!)Special Features:
- We had a big party there.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/2/2013We had a big party there. Everything was nice, but the service. They barely refilled the wines if you don't ask them. Normally, they will serve breads, but this time we have to ask for(our entrees already came out). Maybe, they were busy...Special Features:
- Food was very tasty! I hadMarkyDined on 3/27/2013Food was very tasty! I had duck breast, and it was delicious! The letdown for me was the creme brûlée. It had the thickest layer of burnt sugar on top :^( It's supposed to be delicately thin! And if it's thin it doesn't have to be burned to caramelise the sugar.Special Features:
- The food was not tastefulOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 3/23/2013The food was not tasteful at all. The prawns were undercooked, the rest of the meal was lacking. Very limited menu and be prepared for a long dining experience. Staff was nice and table was great, got seated very quickly. We've been here several times and it is usual very good food.
- Second Time Not So GoodOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/23/2013First time at Forest Grill in winter 2012 was wonderful. Great food, great service. Not so much this time. The egg appetizer was way overdone. The onion and bacon pizza seemed doughy for such a this crust. Very greasy as well. Nobody ever asked how the pizza was, or I would have certainly told them. Creme brulee was good. Wine with dinner was good. For only two of us, We were there a long time.Special Features:
- Forest Grill revised and greatAnnmDined on 3/20/2013The new chef and menu are amazing! The duck specials were terrific and they have a good wine list--in that you can find a nice wine for a reasonable price. The new concept of some small plate offerings make great sense WE will bring back a gang!Special Features: