276 South Exchange Street
St. Paul, MN 55102Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.forepaughs.com/
- Phone: 6512245606
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday-Thursday 5pm-9pm, Friday and Saturday 5pm-10pm. Sunday brunch 11am-2pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Donald Gonzalez
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Chef's Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Private Party Options Available. Please contact the restaurant.
- Private Party Contact: Joan Frantz 6512245606
A word from Forepaugh's
Forepaugh’s Restaurant is located in a beautiful Victorian mansion in the lovely Irvine Park area of Downtown St. Paul; a stones throw from Excel Energy Center and the Ordway Center for the Performing Arts. The building itself is a gorgeous, multi-functional (read: wifi), state of the art venue disguised as a charming, quaint and thoroughly authentic Victorian mansion. The seven intimate and artfully decorated dining rooms straddle the past and future gracefully, featuring both period décor and brilliantly conceived, cutting edge New American Cuisine. The wine list is expansive and supported by a wine cellar/chef tasting room that is available for small, intimate gatherings. The bar, comfortable and cozy, --featuring the finest in distinctive liquors and specialty drinks. And the service is excellent. Join us for a big night or a cozy romantic dinner. Business groups, rehearsal dinners, wedding receptions and parties of any shape or size are encouraged.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Forepaugh's - Best Restaurants in St. Paul ›
Forepaugh's reviews from OpenTable diners
117 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.7Noise LevelQuiet
special occasion (101)romantic (92)fit for foodies (57)neighborhood gem (55)great for outdoor dining (46)scenic view (23)good for groups (22)notable wine list (21)great for brunch (15)late-night find (7)great for lunch (5)hot spot (4)vibrant bar scene (4)kid-friendly (3)Show More
- Wonderful Once AgainOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/17/2014My wife and I have been here a few times to eat, and loved the feel of it so much we had our wedding at Forepaugh's. This was our anniversary dinner and the food, drink and service were wonderful. This ranks up in our top 5 for best meals. We had Beef Wellington and Scallops, both tender and delicious. We are both very picky on red meat and highly recommend the Beef Wellington. All told this is a great place for a night out, especially if you want a place with character.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great evening!HeatherDined on 10/17/2014I received repeated recommendations from a friend to try Forepaugh's and it didn't disappoint. Innovative, delicious food and a lovely setting. It is an exceptional place. My only critique would be service. While our server was very nice and well-intended, details like replacing missing flatware before the next course were lacking.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- angela379Dined on 10/11/2014We went to Forepaugh's for a special birthday and were very dissappointed. We ordered the Beef Wellington and although it was a bigger portion it was a tough piece of flavorless meat and at 45.00 a plate it should have cut like butter and tasted exquisite. One of us ordered the Walleye and the portion to be extremely small, the joke at the table was " I didn't know it was possible to only catch 1/2 a fish". We also ordered a side of mashed potatoes but the waitress forgot to bring them to the table. The Beef Wellington did come with fingerling potatoes, however, you got about 6 pieces of potato the size of a nickel. For $ 200.00 for 3 people, with no alcohol include we were not impressed at all and will not return.Special Features:
- Great experience, will be back612GuyDined on 10/10/2014We had a great night, we will be back many times. Beautiful building. Great service. Excellent food.Special Features:
- Excellent food and serviceRussDined on 10/10/2014One of the best meals we've had in a long time and with wonderful service and atmosphere. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Historicalpb222VIPDined on 10/5/20146 of us (including 2 10 year olds) ate on second floor, near the window for a birthday celebration. They served us at the table: eggs, eggs benedict, sausage, bacon, wonderful coffee cake, mimosas, coffee, milk, crisp fried potatoes, and fruit with yogurt. The meal was wonderful. Only problem was getting the bill when we were done....took an hour. Will ask for the bill right away next time;).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Forepaugh's in St PaullovesgoodfoodDined on 10/4/2014Forepaugh's maintains its reputation for being a special occasion fine dining restaurant. The menu was extraordinary, the food perfectly prepared. the presenteation and service outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great hostbilyouDined on 10/4/2014Our waiter was terrible, but the food, bartender and host made our night... Your host (African american man in his 40's with glasses) told us many histories and ghost stories that we loved and really made our experience for coming back!Special Features:
- Great ambiance and serviceOkayDined on 10/3/2014This is a wonderful place for a romantic dinner and conversation -- the ambiance is great, and the service is superb. Stellar. However, the food needs to come up quite a bit. This is our first time back to Forepaugh's since the menu was revamped. While the menu selections look good in the descriptions, they leave something to be desired, taste-wise and presentation-wise. For example -- the scallop and pork belly dish I had did not have anything acidic to balance out the richness of the pork and the scallop. The chile flower and chorizo appetizer WAS fantastic, though. More like that! With the plethora of exciting and romantic spots in the Twin Cities today, it's doubtful we'll be back anytime soon.Special Features:
- Loved it…AnivfeastDined on 9/28/2014Arrived an hour early and they slid us in. We were there celebrating our anniversary and they gave us a complimentary champagne glass for each of us. Each course was delicious and dessert was phenomenal. I don't have anything bad to say everything was clean, cocktails were good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and atmosphereEdinaDined on 9/27/2014We went there for our anniversary and it didn't disappoint in the least. Great food, service, and atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Long time favoriteJAKEMS92913aDined on 9/26/2014Started with happy hour. Great happy hour food and coctails. Had wedding reception there and celebrated anniversary. Love the place!!!Special Features:
- Great Sunday BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/21/2014We celebrated my mother in law's 90th birthday, and took her to brunch here. The staff was wonderful and attentive. The food was delicious....loved hat it was an all inclusive menu served family style. We also enjoyed a glass of mimosa that was included. That also brought her a complimentary dessert with a candle in it which she loved. A great dining experience.....the best place we've been for Sunday brunch.Special Features:
- Fun BrunchHappyDinerDined on 9/21/2014Great find for a girls brunch spot. Family style brunch, great atmosphere- made for a lovely start to our day!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 15 year anniversaryOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/20/2014Great evening with wife and daughter to celebrate 15 year wedding anniversary. The wine tablet is awesome. so many great choices. I enjoyed the chef's evening special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- "Most romantic dinner I ever had"epeteDined on 9/18/2014That's the comment I received from the woman I took there for dinner. My steak was done perfectly. It is a bit on the high priced side, but I've always said if I pay a lot for a meal, and it turns out great, I'm ok with that. It was a special night and Forepaugh's delivered.Special Features:
- good food, but too fastRandTDined on 9/14/2014We dined at Forepaugh's for our anniversary. The food was scrumptious. We especially enjoyed the charcuterie plate and the samosas. The walleye was excellent and the NY strip like butter. The biggest negative was that we felt rushed by our waiter (65 minutes for drinks, appetizers, entrees, and dessert) and weren't offered coffee with dessert (though we each had a cup). Also, the deconstructed banana cream pie was an "almost" - if the banana had been sliced thinner, it would have been much better, and easier to eat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An off night26pt2runnerVIPDined on 9/5/2014We've dined at Forpaugh's a number of times and although often slowly paced - think European pacing, we felt the experience was gentile and relaxed. On this particular night however, it was annoying. Our bread arrived after our salads which took almost 40 minutes. Shortly thereafter our server announced that they had run out of the Salmon I had ordered. Which meant another 40 minute wait and a mismatched bottle of wine which we had ordered with the original entree in mind. We were offered desert on the house, which we accepted if only because the portions were so small we were still hungry. We departed after 2-1/2 hours, which left no time for other activities we had planned for the evening. It may be a while before we return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unexpected AWESOME!FarEastsideFoodieDined on 9/5/2014I chose the restaurant because I thought it would be a beautiful location for my wife and I's anniversary dinner. To our great surprise, my wife and I was greeted by the friendliest and most welcoming host I have ever met in all my years of dining. We felt welcomed immediately and was quickly lead to our table in a gorgeous room with a chandelier and comfortable chairs. The wait staff was very accommodating and the service was friendly, courteous, and very very efficient. The food was surprisingly plentiful (we were expecting tiny portions with a lot of decorations and fluff) but we were absolutely stuffed by the end. The food... What can I say? DELICIOUS, FRESH, FLAVORFUL, EXQUISITE! Definitely going back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RogerGVIPDined on 9/4/2014We went here for our 43rd anniversary. The food, service, and ambiance were all outstanding. We hadn't been here in many years and it was as good as we remembered. We definitely will come back again.Special Features:
- ForepaughsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014Amazing food, ambiance, etc. On top of this, the employees (especially the manager) are the best in town. Incredibly friendly. I love this place.Special Features:
- Your staff was outstanding.SatisfactionDined on 8/26/2014My wife and I celebrated our anniversary and it great. John and your staff was outstanding.Special Features:
- Perfect for an Intimate CelebrationBigRedDined on 8/26/2014My wife and I celebrated our first anniversary here. The food was delicious, the drinks were even better, and the history of the building is outstanding. Afterwards, go take a look at the wine cellar if it's not being used.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sharing AppetizersEclecticEaterDined on 8/24/2014My girlfriend and I went to Forepaugh with my sister and her husband. The ambiance was very elegant and quiet - great for a romantic dinner or celebrating a special occasion. We decided to share Appetizers after salads and I highly recommend it. It was a great experience and something different the staff was impressed with as well. The staff were very knowledgeable, friendly, yet courteous. Definitely pricey and probably won't go there all the time, but certainly a place to go again.Special Features:
- Great for Anniversary DinnerkrispyDined on 8/12/2014This was our first time visiting Forepaugh's. We went for our anniversary. Highly recommend this restaurant for special occasions. The food was delicious. My husband loved his angus filet which was cooked perfectly. My favorite was their deconstructed banana cream pie. I also enjoyed the waldorf salad and asparagus. The staff was friendly, well trained and not one bit intrusive. It was quiet in the restaurant and really allowed us to have a enjoyable time.Special Features:
- CelebratingBucks250Dined on 8/10/2014We celebrated my wife's birthday and a return to the restaurant where we had our first date 26 years ago. We had a very nice meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday BrunchMzJakeDined on 8/10/2014Food was good - not great. Portions were very small. We definitely left hungry, and we're small people. Had to ask repeatedly for coffee & water refills. Is NOT handicap friendly! Not an experience we would care to repeat. Would not recommend.
- Forepaughs visitPatCDined on 8/9/2014We went to Forepaughs after last being there in 2005 and while the menu is new and we both enjoyed our appetizer courses. We had the chicke samosas which I could have happily eaten all night and we also had the flatbread which was fresh and had a wonderful tartness from the goat cheese. The main course unfortunately did not measure up quite as well. My plate was cold as it had been waiting for my husbands plate. He had the beef wellington which was was quite dry. My scallop dish was ok but it was almost like they were trying to hard. Not sure I would go back for the costSpecial Features:
- First VisitJackieVIPDined on 8/9/2014My husband and I were in St Paul for a weekend getaway. Forepaugh's was an easy walk from the St Paul Hotel. We were greeted warmly and taken to a table on the upstairs terrace that we had requested. Service staff were knowledgeable and friendly. The food was lovely. Highly recommend the corn soup, Caesar/wedge collision salad and the Walleye.Special Features:
- Dinner for twoLoloDined on 8/9/2014I took my husband here for our anniversary. We were let down by the quality of food. The Beef Wellington was tasteless. The steak itself was quite cool in the center. Halibut was average. Dessert menu was sparse and, to us, lacked "comfort desserts". Needless to say, we didn't have dessert. It would take a lot for me to consider dining here again.Special Features:
- All very goodAllinDined on 8/8/2014Brought new girlfriend on her birthday. She was very impressed. Points for me. :-)Special Features:
- AmbianceSaintPaulGirlDined on 8/8/2014No place lovelier... The house itself is a gem with all the original fixtures, etc. The lighting, views, even the little gem-of-a-neighborhood. The Ceaser Salad was the best.Special Features:
- A Flavor ExplosionBoPeepDined on 8/8/2014The salad, the BLT Collision, was one of the best I've ever had. Everything was bite size & the flavor delicious. The blue cheese vinaigarette dressing left you wanting to eat another salad. I had the 8 Oz. Beef Wellington wrapped in a puff pastry that was succulent! The filet melted in your mouth. The Deconstructed Banana Cream Pie was delicious but share it. The praline, custard, banana, etc. was a bit too sweet for me only because the portion was large. Once seated, the service was slow. Slow to get our drinks, get our food & get dessert. We could see our waiter was busy so maybe they were understaffed.Special Features:
- For a quiet and memorable evening ~MichelleDined on 8/2/2014For a quiet, lengthy and memorable evening alone with your spouse...This is the place to go! The food is fresh and flavorful with an elegant setting. Our wait staff was amazing, knowledgeable and attentive. This place will be a new tradition for our wedding anniversary celebration for year to come!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great local optionbpjdDined on 7/31/2014Excellent food and service This is our second trip it will not be the last! Loved the wine choices and the dining experience was fantastic. I have the opportunity to travel and experience many fine restaurants, nice to have a great local option! We dined here again to finalize the wedding rehearsal dinner choices, we loved everything we tried. We sampled several items on the menu from appetizers to dessert. The attention we received was outstanding!Special Features:
- Perfect Evemomg4wewilleatagainDined on 7/26/2014We ate on the upstairs deck with two dear friends. There was a breezy that made the temperature perfect, the view was spectacular and the food was perfect for each of us. Our friends shared a salad and several appetizers. I had the walleye and it was the best I have ever eaten. It was easy to hear each other which was great because one of us is hard of hearing and a noisy restaurant is exhausting for him. We are going back in the fall when the leaves are turning to sit on the deck and eat their Beef Wellington.Special Features:
- good but loudfrenchieDined on 7/25/2014The walleye was great tasting. The chicken was surprisingly more on the deep fried genre. The biggest disappointment was a noisy loud table. I wish I asked to be moved.Special Features:
- ExcellentMarshalDined on 7/25/2014We had the cheese platter which was very good. I had the beef wellington and my wife had the pork chop both were cooked perfectly and tasted great! Evidently our food took longer than normal (we didn't notice) because the chef sent us a free dessert!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Magical Date NightCyprusDined on 7/24/2014Outstanding service and food, very friendly staff we will be there again for sureSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was greatHappyDayDined on 7/24/2014I would recommend getting one of the steaks they offer for dinner. It was def one of the bestSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.