276 South Exchange Street
St. Paul, MN 55102Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.forepaughs.com/
- Phone: (651) 224-5606
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday-Thursday 5pm-9pm, Friday and Saturday 5pm-10pm. Sunday brunch 11am-2pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Donald Gonzalez
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Chef's Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Private Party Options Available. Please contact the restaurant.
- Private Party Contact: Joan Frantz 6512245606
A word from Forepaugh's
Forepaugh’s Restaurant is located in a beautiful Victorian mansion in the lovely Irvine Park area of Downtown St. Paul; a stones throw from Excel Energy Center and the Ordway Center for the Performing Arts. The building itself is a gorgeous, multi-functional (read: wifi), state of the art venue disguised as a charming, quaint and thoroughly authentic Victorian mansion. The seven intimate and artfully decorated dining rooms straddle the past and future gracefully, featuring both period décor and brilliantly conceived, cutting edge New American Cuisine. The wine list is expansive and supported by a wine cellar/chef tasting room that is available for small, intimate gatherings. The bar, comfortable and cozy, --featuring the finest in distinctive liquors and specialty drinks. And the service is excellent. Join us for a big night or a cozy romantic dinner. Business groups, rehearsal dinners, wedding receptions and parties of any shape or size are encouraged.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Forepaugh's - Best Restaurants in St. Paul ›
Forepaugh's reviews from OpenTable diners
98 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.7Noise LevelQuiet
special occasion (88)romantic (79)fit for foodies (47)neighborhood gem (46)great for outdoor dining (21)notable wine list (19)good for groups (16)scenic view (11)great for brunch (10)late-night find (4)hot spot (3)great for lunch (2)vibrant bar scene (2)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- Just greatOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/19/2014Just great - that would explain the food, service and atmosphereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely SpectacularShaeJ9Dined on 11/15/2014Before I went to this place I did my homeworhomework; read the ghost story, read the reviews, and asked around. This place was so incredible I'm going to gratefully go balk and thankfully the prices weren't outragious! I went here for a romantic first date and what I got was a romantic first date with many more dates promised with her at this same location! She loved it. Outstanding host and enjoyable waiters and waitresses. But most of all the host was very accomidating. The food was great! Enjoyable atmosphere!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EntreesOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/14/2014They need to broaden the entree choices. For example, the beef Wellington was good but. 16 ozs of beef is very large. Also, there should be a modest entree such as broiled chicken breast or broiled shrimp for the patron that doesn't want a high calorie meal. I noticed that a couple of nearby diners looked at menu and chose an assortment of salads instead of selecting an entree.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceajdixonDined on 11/8/2014The service is impeccable, from the friendly host who greeted/seated us to our wonderful server who explained the property and food expertly. This is a must-do for a special occasion. We split a collision salad which was fantastic. My husband had the walleye, which the server expertly recommended to use a spoon with it to enjoy all of the broth. I had the scallops with pork bellies - what a wonderful combination. And we had the cheese curd mashed potatoes which was definitely not on the low fat section of the menu, but worth it for a special dinner! Limoncello for after-dinner drinks rounded out the evening. It was a great time and the property is beautifully maintained.Special Features:
- Grrrr-eat!yummymommyDined on 11/8/2014Wonderful host--excellent server--fabulous food--We'll certainly be doing this one again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional In Many Waysjer522Dined on 11/6/2014This restaurant was an excellent choice for a special birthday and two-month wedding anniversary! My wife and I were both excited and we can attest that this restaurant as well as the staff exceeded our expectations. We began our evening at the bar and had fantastic martinis done to perfection. Then we moved to dinner. Our waiter provided great explanations about the menu and had good recommendations. The food was exceptional from "soup to nuts" and the ambiance was notable. We will definitely return to experience the terrace during the warmer months and we will keep Forepaugh's in our list of "special" experiences.Special Features:
- Overpriced, over-ratedKAB0414Dined on 11/4/2014Though we were loyal in earlier years and we raved so much that six friends joined us. Huge disappointment. Food way overpriced; portions too small for price. Really ridiculously so. Forepaugh's has lost 8 customers for good. The award winning walleye, which 5 of us ordered, was a joke. Listed on menu as coconut, curry, fingerling potatoes and green vegetables at $32, we naturally assumed the meal actually included "normal" size side dishes of fingerling potatoes and veggies. No! 2-3 teensy slices of teensy potatoes (about 1 T worth of potatoes! were floating in a coconut flavored sauce. We expected a coconut crusted walleye with curry sauce. Now I know why obnoxious patrons ask wait staff EXACTLY how dishes are prepared.Special Features:
- Good locationKokopeli1951Dined on 11/2/2014Walking distance to Excel Center, only about 2.5 blocks. Service was excellent but food was just so-so. Collision salad was very good. Walleye was small portioned and rather tasteless. Brussels sprout side was very good. Deconstructed Banana Cream pie was excellent but lacked a crust component. Butter toasted graham cracker sprinkle would have completed it nicely.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Brunch to celebrate 25thFamilyof8Dined on 11/2/2014Our 25th wedding anniversary celebration at Forepaugh's was perfect! The food was excellent, service marvelous and we loved strolling around the area after brunch soaking up the old St. Paul neighborhood. I highly recommend Forepaugh's!Special Features:
- First time, wish we had come soonerRosemountFamilyDined on 11/1/2014Great atmosphere, great history, great neighborhood, great service, and great food. Forepaugh's has it all plus such a unique setting. I had the beef wellington and my wife had the walleye-both excellent. The squash soup, the collision salad, the wine, and the banana dessert were all excellent as well. We will be back!Special Features:
- BaileyDined on 10/30/2014The meal was wonderful. Beef Wellington was excellent! Our seating was a littlle small when the restaurant wasn't busy we certainly could have had a larger table and not near a table that was loud. Although we had a wonderful meal and the waiter was quite knowledgeable, I would return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingSljslj3Dined on 10/25/2014What a wonderful spot! Haven't been there in years and it is still as heavenly as I remember! Service was spectacular and the food was a perfect 10! Thanks for a wonderful night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Flavors!Bob42Dined on 10/19/2014Salads and Entrees earned very high marks for flavor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/19/2014Enjoyed the Sunday brunch - food was good although one of our dinners can't have poultry but oatmeal was requested and you were able to accommodate. Will return!Special Features:
- Wonderful Once AgainOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/17/2014My wife and I have been here a few times to eat, and loved the feel of it so much we had our wedding at Forepaugh's. This was our anniversary dinner and the food, drink and service were wonderful. This ranks up in our top 5 for best meals. We had Beef Wellington and Scallops, both tender and delicious. We are both very picky on red meat and highly recommend the Beef Wellington. All told this is a great place for a night out, especially if you want a place with character.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great evening!HeatherDined on 10/17/2014I received repeated recommendations from a friend to try Forepaugh's and it didn't disappoint. Innovative, delicious food and a lovely setting. It is an exceptional place. My only critique would be service. While our server was very nice and well-intended, details like replacing missing flatware before the next course were lacking.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- angela379Dined on 10/11/2014We went to Forepaugh's for a special birthday and were very dissappointed. We ordered the Beef Wellington and although it was a bigger portion it was a tough piece of flavorless meat and at 45.00 a plate it should have cut like butter and tasted exquisite. One of us ordered the Walleye and the portion to be extremely small, the joke at the table was " I didn't know it was possible to only catch 1/2 a fish". We also ordered a side of mashed potatoes but the waitress forgot to bring them to the table. The Beef Wellington did come with fingerling potatoes, however, you got about 6 pieces of potato the size of a nickel. For $ 200.00 for 3 people, with no alcohol include we were not impressed at all and will not return.Special Features:
- Great experience, will be back612GuyDined on 10/10/2014We had a great night, we will be back many times. Beautiful building. Great service. Excellent food.Special Features:
- Excellent food and serviceRussDined on 10/10/2014One of the best meals we've had in a long time and with wonderful service and atmosphere. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Historicalpb222VIPDined on 10/5/20146 of us (including 2 10 year olds) ate on second floor, near the window for a birthday celebration. They served us at the table: eggs, eggs benedict, sausage, bacon, wonderful coffee cake, mimosas, coffee, milk, crisp fried potatoes, and fruit with yogurt. The meal was wonderful. Only problem was getting the bill when we were done....took an hour. Will ask for the bill right away next time;).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Forepaugh's in St PaullovesgoodfoodDined on 10/4/2014Forepaugh's maintains its reputation for being a special occasion fine dining restaurant. The menu was extraordinary, the food perfectly prepared. the presenteation and service outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great hostbilyouDined on 10/4/2014Our waiter was terrible, but the food, bartender and host made our night... Your host (African american man in his 40's with glasses) told us many histories and ghost stories that we loved and really made our experience for coming back!Special Features:
- Great ambiance and serviceOkayDined on 10/3/2014This is a wonderful place for a romantic dinner and conversation -- the ambiance is great, and the service is superb. Stellar. However, the food needs to come up quite a bit. This is our first time back to Forepaugh's since the menu was revamped. While the menu selections look good in the descriptions, they leave something to be desired, taste-wise and presentation-wise. For example -- the scallop and pork belly dish I had did not have anything acidic to balance out the richness of the pork and the scallop. The chile flower and chorizo appetizer WAS fantastic, though. More like that! With the plethora of exciting and romantic spots in the Twin Cities today, it's doubtful we'll be back anytime soon.Special Features:
- Loved it…AnivfeastDined on 9/28/2014Arrived an hour early and they slid us in. We were there celebrating our anniversary and they gave us a complimentary champagne glass for each of us. Each course was delicious and dessert was phenomenal. I don't have anything bad to say everything was clean, cocktails were good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and atmosphereEdinaDined on 9/27/2014We went there for our anniversary and it didn't disappoint in the least. Great food, service, and atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Long time favoriteJAKEMS92913aDined on 9/26/2014Started with happy hour. Great happy hour food and coctails. Had wedding reception there and celebrated anniversary. Love the place!!!Special Features:
- Great Sunday BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/21/2014We celebrated my mother in law's 90th birthday, and took her to brunch here. The staff was wonderful and attentive. The food was delicious....loved hat it was an all inclusive menu served family style. We also enjoyed a glass of mimosa that was included. That also brought her a complimentary dessert with a candle in it which she loved. A great dining experience.....the best place we've been for Sunday brunch.Special Features:
- Fun BrunchHappyDinerVIPDined on 9/21/2014Great find for a girls brunch spot. Family style brunch, great atmosphere- made for a lovely start to our day!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 15 year anniversaryOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/20/2014Great evening with wife and daughter to celebrate 15 year wedding anniversary. The wine tablet is awesome. so many great choices. I enjoyed the chef's evening special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- "Most romantic dinner I ever had"epeteDined on 9/18/2014That's the comment I received from the woman I took there for dinner. My steak was done perfectly. It is a bit on the high priced side, but I've always said if I pay a lot for a meal, and it turns out great, I'm ok with that. It was a special night and Forepaugh's delivered.Special Features:
- good food, but too fastRandTDined on 9/14/2014We dined at Forepaugh's for our anniversary. The food was scrumptious. We especially enjoyed the charcuterie plate and the samosas. The walleye was excellent and the NY strip like butter. The biggest negative was that we felt rushed by our waiter (65 minutes for drinks, appetizers, entrees, and dessert) and weren't offered coffee with dessert (though we each had a cup). Also, the deconstructed banana cream pie was an "almost" - if the banana had been sliced thinner, it would have been much better, and easier to eat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An off night26pt2runnerVIPDined on 9/5/2014We've dined at Forpaugh's a number of times and although often slowly paced - think European pacing, we felt the experience was gentile and relaxed. On this particular night however, it was annoying. Our bread arrived after our salads which took almost 40 minutes. Shortly thereafter our server announced that they had run out of the Salmon I had ordered. Which meant another 40 minute wait and a mismatched bottle of wine which we had ordered with the original entree in mind. We were offered desert on the house, which we accepted if only because the portions were so small we were still hungry. We departed after 2-1/2 hours, which left no time for other activities we had planned for the evening. It may be a while before we return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unexpected AWESOME!FarEastsideFoodieDined on 9/5/2014I chose the restaurant because I thought it would be a beautiful location for my wife and I's anniversary dinner. To our great surprise, my wife and I was greeted by the friendliest and most welcoming host I have ever met in all my years of dining. We felt welcomed immediately and was quickly lead to our table in a gorgeous room with a chandelier and comfortable chairs. The wait staff was very accommodating and the service was friendly, courteous, and very very efficient. The food was surprisingly plentiful (we were expecting tiny portions with a lot of decorations and fluff) but we were absolutely stuffed by the end. The food... What can I say? DELICIOUS, FRESH, FLAVORFUL, EXQUISITE! Definitely going back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RogerGVIPDined on 9/4/2014We went here for our 43rd anniversary. The food, service, and ambiance were all outstanding. We hadn't been here in many years and it was as good as we remembered. We definitely will come back again.Special Features:
- ForepaughsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014Amazing food, ambiance, etc. On top of this, the employees (especially the manager) are the best in town. Incredibly friendly. I love this place.Special Features:
- Your staff was outstanding.SatisfactionDined on 8/26/2014My wife and I celebrated our anniversary and it great. John and your staff was outstanding.Special Features:
- Perfect for an Intimate CelebrationBigRedDined on 8/26/2014My wife and I celebrated our first anniversary here. The food was delicious, the drinks were even better, and the history of the building is outstanding. Afterwards, go take a look at the wine cellar if it's not being used.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sharing AppetizersEclecticEaterDined on 8/24/2014My girlfriend and I went to Forepaugh with my sister and her husband. The ambiance was very elegant and quiet - great for a romantic dinner or celebrating a special occasion. We decided to share Appetizers after salads and I highly recommend it. It was a great experience and something different the staff was impressed with as well. The staff were very knowledgeable, friendly, yet courteous. Definitely pricey and probably won't go there all the time, but certainly a place to go again.Special Features:
- Great for Anniversary DinnerkrispyDined on 8/12/2014This was our first time visiting Forepaugh's. We went for our anniversary. Highly recommend this restaurant for special occasions. The food was delicious. My husband loved his angus filet which was cooked perfectly. My favorite was their deconstructed banana cream pie. I also enjoyed the waldorf salad and asparagus. The staff was friendly, well trained and not one bit intrusive. It was quiet in the restaurant and really allowed us to have a enjoyable time.Special Features:
- CelebratingBucks250Dined on 8/10/2014We celebrated my wife's birthday and a return to the restaurant where we had our first date 26 years ago. We had a very nice meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.