276 South Exchange Street
St. Paul, MN 55102Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.forepaughs.com/
- Phone: 6512245606
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday-Thursday 5pm-9pm, Friday and Saturday 5pm-10pm. Sunday brunch 11am-2pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Donald Gonzalez
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Chef's Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Private Party Options Available. Please contact the restaurant.
- Private Party Contact: Joan Frantz 6512245606
A word from Forepaugh's
Forepaugh’s Restaurant is located in a beautiful Victorian mansion in the lovely Irvine Park area of Downtown St. Paul; a stones throw from Excel Energy Center and the Ordway Center for the Performing Arts. The building itself is a gorgeous, multi-functional (read: wifi), state of the art venue disguised as a charming, quaint and thoroughly authentic Victorian mansion. The seven intimate and artfully decorated dining rooms straddle the past and future gracefully, featuring both period décor and brilliantly conceived, cutting edge New American Cuisine. The wine list is expansive and supported by a wine cellar/chef tasting room that is available for small, intimate gatherings. The bar, comfortable and cozy, --featuring the finest in distinctive liquors and specialty drinks. And the service is excellent. Join us for a big night or a cozy romantic dinner. Business groups, rehearsal dinners, wedding receptions and parties of any shape or size are encouraged.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Forepaugh's - Best Restaurants in St. Paul ›
Forepaugh's reviews from OpenTable diners
114 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.7Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (93)romantic (88)fit for foodies (53)great for outdoor dining (49)neighborhood gem (45)scenic view (28)notable wine list (22)great for brunch (20)good for groups (19)late-night find (6)great for lunch (5)hot spot (4)kid-friendly (4)vibrant bar scene (3)Show More
- ForepaughsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014Amazing food, ambiance, etc. On top of this, the employees (especially the manager) are the best in town. Incredibly friendly. I love this place.Special Features:
- Your staff was outstanding.SatisfactionDined on 8/26/2014My wife and I celebrated our anniversary and it great. John and your staff was outstanding.Special Features:
- Perfect for an Intimate CelebrationBigRedDined on 8/26/2014My wife and I celebrated our first anniversary here. The food was delicious, the drinks were even better, and the history of the building is outstanding. Afterwards, go take a look at the wine cellar if it's not being used.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sharing AppetizersEclecticEaterDined on 8/24/2014My girlfriend and I went to Forepaugh with my sister and her husband. The ambiance was very elegant and quiet - great for a romantic dinner or celebrating a special occasion. We decided to share Appetizers after salads and I highly recommend it. It was a great experience and something different the staff was impressed with as well. The staff were very knowledgeable, friendly, yet courteous. Definitely pricey and probably won't go there all the time, but certainly a place to go again.Special Features:
- Great for Anniversary DinnerkrispyDined on 8/12/2014This was our first time visiting Forepaugh's. We went for our anniversary. Highly recommend this restaurant for special occasions. The food was delicious. My husband loved his angus filet which was cooked perfectly. My favorite was their deconstructed banana cream pie. I also enjoyed the waldorf salad and asparagus. The staff was friendly, well trained and not one bit intrusive. It was quiet in the restaurant and really allowed us to have a enjoyable time.Special Features:
- CelebratingBucks250Dined on 8/10/2014We celebrated my wife's birthday and a return to the restaurant where we had our first date 26 years ago. We had a very nice meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday BrunchMzJakeDined on 8/10/2014Food was good - not great. Portions were very small. We definitely left hungry, and we're small people. Had to ask repeatedly for coffee & water refills. Is NOT handicap friendly! Not an experience we would care to repeat. Would not recommend.
- First VisitJackieVIPDined on 8/9/2014My husband and I were in St Paul for a weekend getaway. Forepaugh's was an easy walk from the St Paul Hotel. We were greeted warmly and taken to a table on the upstairs terrace that we had requested. Service staff were knowledgeable and friendly. The food was lovely. Highly recommend the corn soup, Caesar/wedge collision salad and the Walleye.Special Features:
- Dinner for twoLoloDined on 8/9/2014I took my husband here for our anniversary. We were let down by the quality of food. The Beef Wellington was tasteless. The steak itself was quite cool in the center. Halibut was average. Dessert menu was sparse and, to us, lacked "comfort desserts". Needless to say, we didn't have dessert. It would take a lot for me to consider dining here again.Special Features:
- AmbianceSaintPaulGirlDined on 8/8/2014No place lovelier... The house itself is a gem with all the original fixtures, etc. The lighting, views, even the little gem-of-a-neighborhood. The Ceaser Salad was the best.Special Features:
- A Flavor ExplosionBoPeepDined on 8/8/2014The salad, the BLT Collision, was one of the best I've ever had. Everything was bite size & the flavor delicious. The blue cheese vinaigarette dressing left you wanting to eat another salad. I had the 8 Oz. Beef Wellington wrapped in a puff pastry that was succulent! The filet melted in your mouth. The Deconstructed Banana Cream Pie was delicious but share it. The praline, custard, banana, etc. was a bit too sweet for me only because the portion was large. Once seated, the service was slow. Slow to get our drinks, get our food & get dessert. We could see our waiter was busy so maybe they were understaffed.Special Features:
- For a quiet and memorable evening ~MichelleDined on 8/2/2014For a quiet, lengthy and memorable evening alone with your spouse...This is the place to go! The food is fresh and flavorful with an elegant setting. Our wait staff was amazing, knowledgeable and attentive. This place will be a new tradition for our wedding anniversary celebration for year to come!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great local optionbpjdDined on 7/31/2014Excellent food and service This is our second trip it will not be the last! Loved the wine choices and the dining experience was fantastic. I have the opportunity to travel and experience many fine restaurants, nice to have a great local option! We dined here again to finalize the wedding rehearsal dinner choices, we loved everything we tried. We sampled several items on the menu from appetizers to dessert. The attention we received was outstanding!Special Features:
- Perfect Evemomg4wewilleatagainDined on 7/26/2014We ate on the upstairs deck with two dear friends. There was a breezy that made the temperature perfect, the view was spectacular and the food was perfect for each of us. Our friends shared a salad and several appetizers. I had the walleye and it was the best I have ever eaten. It was easy to hear each other which was great because one of us is hard of hearing and a noisy restaurant is exhausting for him. We are going back in the fall when the leaves are turning to sit on the deck and eat their Beef Wellington.Special Features:
- good but loudfrenchieDined on 7/25/2014The walleye was great tasting. The chicken was surprisingly more on the deep fried genre. The biggest disappointment was a noisy loud table. I wish I asked to be moved.Special Features:
- ExcellentMarshalDined on 7/25/2014We had the cheese platter which was very good. I had the beef wellington and my wife had the pork chop both were cooked perfectly and tasted great! Evidently our food took longer than normal (we didn't notice) because the chef sent us a free dessert!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Magical Date NightCyprusDined on 7/24/2014Outstanding service and food, very friendly staff we will be there again for sureSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was greatHappyDayDined on 7/24/2014I would recommend getting one of the steaks they offer for dinner. It was def one of the bestSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ForepaughsjimmyDined on 7/24/2014We had been to Forepaughs for years when we saw the restaurant week invitation. The sampling menu was nice and the service pleasant. We especially liked the corn soup.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/23/2014We had a wonderful evening sat outside in the yard with 4 adults a 2 year ols and baby and it was delightfulSpecial Features:
- Over priceddumplingsDined on 7/23/2014Nice deck dining! The walleye was really good but my husbands steak was over priced and not top quality. We have been customers for many years but will probably not be back for a long time. Sorry because we had always enjoyed it so for so long.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unprofessional WaiterMemberVIPDined on 7/23/2014Beautiful location, but food quality and quantity have diminished. We were here for Restaurant Week last year and this year; what a difference! Last year, we had wonderful service and the prix fixe was outstanding -- the best RW menu of the 4 we tried last year. Huge problem with our waiter, who said he'd been there since it opened under new management. We asked for a small taste of the chicken sauce (on the RW menu) to determine if we wanted to order it. He brought out a ramekin of the sauce, NEVER mentioning there was a charge for it. To our surprise, when the bill came, he had charged $6 for the little ramekin! In addition, he had charged $8 for the gin type, even though he had asked us which gin we wanted!! VERY UNPROFESSIONAL.
- History, Charm and QualityTiffanyDined on 7/23/2014Eating at this restaurant is a true experience! We sat on the terrace above the old porte-cochere with lovely views of Irvine Park and the grounds below. My husband had the Seared Walleye which, while exceptional, was a rather small portion. My Strozapreti was beyond words delicious! I usually only get entrees with meat, but this one sounded too good to pass up and did not disappoint. The range of flavors and textures was superb. Service was great and we poked around at some of the beautiful dining rooms before leaving. The library room looks especially inviting for cold winter night dining. After dinner we walked through Irvine Park and felt like we're been transplanted to Europe. Highly recommend the restaurant and post-dinner walk!Special Features:
- A wonderful eveninggreengalDined on 7/22/2014We had a great meal. We went as part of the restaurant week and therefore took advantage of that specific menu. Therefore, I can only comment on those dishes. Our cheese and fruit plate was quite fun and very delicious. Our dessert was nothing amazing - but was tasty. Our entrees ere good, but I wouldn't say fantastic. I had the walleye - it had a very nice curry flavor and was a good dish. However - for the price they normally charge - it should have been fantastic. My partner had a pasta dish that he really enjoyed. He too would say though - that for the normal price, it could have been better. The ambience and service was some of the best we have had. The entire night was enjoyable and I think we will return and try food from the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nothing Short of SpectacularthegoyimfromrochesterDined on 7/20/2014Summer Restaurant Week - first very accommodating for the vegetarian in the group. Subbed in straight off the menu. The pasta was not just some thrown together dish. Goat cheese, chili oil, 3 kinds of peppers, harissa sauce, and more. We ordered the scallion flat bread as an extra and it was great. Cheese plates were individual portions but very well done with good variety and accompaniments. Walleye with curry sauce was most delicious and I got the chicken to cover our bases and the skin was oh so crisp (similar to Peking duck). The sauce and extras were composed just right. Peanut butter crunch bar was excellent. This is a beautifully restored Victorian mansion. We sat on the balcony outdoors this time but also have been inside.Special Features:
- Unique dining experienceDivermanDined on 7/18/2014Great ambiance in an old period mansion, with a very interesting and unique menu. The food and drinks and were top notch. We had a fantastic evening. A great spot for a special experience. It is pricy, but they deliver the goods and make it feel worthwhile.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnusualZoomDined on 7/15/2014One of our entrées (walleye) and one of our appetizers (shrimp) were the most unusual and delicious we have had in a long time….truly memorable. The only reason I did not give the food 5 stars was that we asked for beef Wellington medium rare and it came overdone, i.e. medium. The atmosphere in small, historically decorated rooms is charming. The history of the building makes for an interesting ghost story. The staff were friendly and efficient. It was a fabulous way to celebrate a birthday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special occasion dinningluv2dine6754Dined on 7/12/2014This a unique restaurant in an excellent location away from the downtown area. The food is excellent with good presentation. There are too many stairs for people with disabilities and the elevators are share by the wait staff for food delivery thus creating traffic jams.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperienceHistorybuffDined on 7/11/2014We dined here before an event at the Ramsey House. We were warmly greeted right away. I was also impressed that they read my special request to eat in the bar area because of the time constraint and desire not to spend too much money. The food was great and the service was friendly and fast. It was also fun to eat in an old mansion with cool a history!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very enjoyableJujieDined on 7/10/2014We absolutely enjoyed our experience at Forepaughs. Food was excellent and service was prompt and friendly. The price was a little high. The rooftop dining space was very nice.Special Features:
- Kal40Dined on 7/8/2014Lovely...from our greeting when we arrived, until our friendly goodbye. Food was wonderful. Everyone in our group had a wonderful time and an amazing meal. Presentations were beautiful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love ForepaughsMommaBDined on 7/6/2014We had a great brunch. Everything was fabulous. We have eaten dinner here as well and enjoyed it very much. The old house is very lovely. They have a porch and upper terrace. Both are so funSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday DinnerBlueSADined on 7/2/2014My date's first time and I haven't been in years- we were both so pleased with everything. The food was delicious (scallops with pork belly- would assuredly recommend it, mango chicken mimosa, coconut trout(?) ). It was a quiet evening and all the staff were so friendly and gracious and didn't mind us 'snooping' around at all, in fact they encouraged it. Would be happy to return.Special Features:
- AmazingOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/2/2014from the host to the waiter outstanding. took a first date here and wow we were both blown away i will be dining here againSpecial Features:
- Still a dining gemjimpyDined on 6/29/2014We've been dining at Forepaughs for over 30 years, most often for special occasions like anniversaries. The Sunday brunch remains an outstanding offering and is quite affordable. Ownership changed a number of years ago and the menu for some time was a bit too eclectic for our tastes, but recently has been changed up to offer some of the more traditional menu items as when it used to be oriented mainly to French cuisine. The Victorian era structure and premises continue to be very well maintained and inviting, and the atmosphere in any of the many dining and casual areas is intimate and unique.Special Features:
- Special treatmentstillinluvDined on 6/27/2014We had our wedding reception here 16 years ago. We requested something not on the menu that we had at our wedding. They fulfilled that request beautifully. Great, unique food. They treated us well. Very romantic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- awesome foodfoodieatheartDined on 6/27/2014we had the best time for dinner. It was terrific. The food was spectacular, the service was spectacular, and the ambiance was wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We will be back!chilDined on 6/27/2014My fiance and I both had steaks. They were one of the best we ever had! It was worth the price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special PlaceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/25/2014The quiet neighborhood, the historic and beautiful space, the gracious service and excellent food. SpecialSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friendly Spot!EaterDined on 6/25/2014We had dinner at Forepaugh's mid week. Service and staff are friendly and helpful and the atmosphere in the old Victorian house is quiet and relaxing. The main menu is small but has some inventive taste selections. The appetizer selection is a great chance to try a new flavor or preparation and we enjoyed the goat cheese in smoked grape leaves.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.