2534 Mission St.
San Francisco, CA 94110Neighborhood:
CalifornianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.foreigncinema.com/
- Phone: 4156487600
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday thru Friday, seating from 6pm until 10pm. Saturday seating from 5:30pm until 11pm. Sunday seating from 5:30pm until 9pm. Weekend Brunch: Saturday & Sunday 11:00am until 2:30pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Gayle Pirie & John Clark
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Movies; see restaurant website for schedule. While we try to honor all request, none are guaranteed.
A word from Foreign Cinema
Foreign Cinema is a 'one of a kind', nationally acclaimed restaurant combining foreign and independent films with Cal-Med cooking. Enjoy an industrial chic setting, complete with outdoor courtyard, mezzanine and full bar.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Foreign Cinema - Best Restaurants in Mission ›
Foreign Cinema reviews from OpenTable diners
466 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (314)great for outdoor dining (299)special occasion (256)romantic (215)hot spot (186)neighborhood gem (181)good for groups (170)notable wine list (120)great for brunch (103)vibrant bar scene (56)late-night find (42)great for lunch (25)kid-friendly (17)scenic view (9)Show More
- Excellent Sunday BrunchmeganrehmVIPDined on 10/19/2014We came here for the first time on Sunday and really enjoyed it. It gets rave reviews all the time so I was hesitant that it wouldn't live up to expectations. Service could've been better - she was friendly, but absent most of the time. I had the omelette, husband had the pork with fried egg, friends had french toast, and duck confit and everyone was happy with their meal and left satisfied. The ambiance was great and loved the patio feel and we had no wait, which was a nice change compared to most SF brunch spots. Will definitely return.Special Features:
- seethruDined on 10/18/2014Place draws a hip crowd, and the ambience is good. But thumbs down for food. Brunch took almost an hour to arrive, it was not even rush hour. when it did it was small and bland (truffle omelete - looked like one maybe one and a half eggs cooked in a bit of truffle infused oil --> $17). Had to eat something immediately after to stop being hungry. My boyfriends dish was better, so maybe I picked badly. But although we live round the corner, probs wont be going again.
- Lacking a noteworthy bite...PacifictravelerDined on 10/17/2014Great cocktails but food fell subpar. Would have loved to dine outside, especially considering it was our first time at the restaurant, but alas we were stuck between a rock and a hard place (literally sat up between a fireplace and arguing couple). Good service helped bring this up to a three star.Special Features:
- Loved the foodScholzoisDined on 10/17/2014Great atmosphere. Got seated inside but could still see the movie playing in the background (recommend the outdoor seating). We were seated promptly but the waiter did not come by for about 20 min. He did not give us his name, just handed us the menus and left. We were quite surprised about this as all the other waiters around seemed very happy and interactive with the guests at the tables they were serving. We had the lavender goat cheese, beef carpaccio, lamb, and mahi mahi. They were all very good. We would return again but would request changing tables if we had the same server.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great place in the missionvegtravelerVIPDined on 10/14/2014Wonderful food at this Mission location.. We sat inside -- first time I have not sat outside. The place is gorgeous and somewhat unexpected as you walk in the door. Food was wonderful. Lots of unique items and a few veg friendly options.Special Features:
- BrunchflajemmingDined on 10/12/2014We went there for brunch and had really excellent food and stellar cocktails! Cocktails were mostly gin-based which is our style and the two bartenders did a great job of cranking out cocktails for the whole restaurant. The atmosphere at Foreign Cinema goes without saying, now I want to find out what it's like at night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was disappointed!BostonDined on 10/10/2014It was a very special occasion for me to celebrate my friend's birthday. I wanted it to be a special memorable dinner for us. There were not much of a choice for dinner and the quality of the food was disappointed. I do not understand why this place was so popular. She later told me the day was perfect except dinner.Special Features:
- Loved it!DdggVIPDined on 10/9/2014We had the best dinner here for my birthday the other night. The cocktails were delicious, the salads were small but perfectly composed and still shareable. I had the pork chop and my husband had the ahi- we loved both. For dessert we had the ginger cake with pistachio sorbet. Phenomenal. Not overly sweet, nicely spiced and packed with ginger kick. We will be back!Special Features:
- Romantic ambiance & upscale dining!BraeRaeDined on 10/8/2014We walked into a warm and romantic setting. Partially outdoors, there were heat lamps above, and the space was adorned with stringed lights above our heads, while a foreign film played on a massive screen on the back wall. The "Ceasar salad" was delicious with its corn chip like croutons. My husband ordered the steak with red wine reduction and it was cooked perfectly, medium rare, and full of flavor. My swordfish was divine with a delicious sweet and nutty sauce and mini potatoes. We drank wines pared by our sommelier server, who knew the food and wine list well. We are on our honeymoon and shared the Pino Noir dessert as a gift from our server. Overall, we enjoyed excellent service and food at the hip and romantic Foreign Cinema.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't miss it!SuburbanguyintocityVIPDined on 10/8/2014Visiting from Boston. Thought this restaurant was awesome. Great menu, great wine list!Special Features:
- Date NightOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/8/2014Came here for a date night on vacation and it was wonderful!Special Features:
- SeatingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/7/2014The only complaint is that we had to sit inside away from the cinema and it was the birthday girls first time to dine at your restaurant. The outdoor cinema was part of the experience we were looking for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unfortunate Bad server, great spotDisappointedDined on 10/7/2014Food was great! We had a great time despite our server. There were 7 of us and we asked upon arrival for separate checks. Our server said it would 'take a long time to do that' but we said that was fine since he knew ahead of time. We were still brought one check and our server put up a fight about splitting it up. We asked several questions about the oysters and he had zero knowledge or helpful comments. He avoided our table for the entire meal and we were never asked for second drinks. We saw him giving perfectly acceptable service to other tables. So, it was just obvious he did not want our table. We even saw him pointing as he talked about us. Unfortunate because I know Foreign Cinema is a lot better than the service we received.Special Features:
- Consistently 5 Stars!DebbEVIPDined on 10/7/2014Half way thru the meal…"Why don't we eat here more often"! Just can't beat it! Thank you Team Foreign Cinema for a great night!Special Features:
- don't botherfcmfcmVIPDined on 10/6/2014Expensive. Beautifully presented food, but not much of it.Special Features:
- One of our favoritesOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/5/2014We love brunch at Foreign Cinema. Its extremely reasonable and the menu is AMAZING. We have been several times and always try to book there when we stay up in the city for the weekend. The only negative is the sound level in the restaurant. It would be great if they could figure that out without ruining the beautiful architecture of the building.Special Features:
- Give it a tryTaconic84Dined on 10/4/2014Mixed review is all we can offer. The front desk (the girls in this case) apparently decide where you will sit. Well, that did not 'sit' well, being seated by the walkway/kitchen...after having made a reservation 5 weeks in advance. Even a waiter said "you're waiting to be moved, right?" ...right. And we were. After that, everything went smoothly. Our waitress was very friendly and helpful with menu, delivery and timing of coffee...even offering to remove the delivered desert while we enjoyed the coffee. The food was pretty good as well. So, it's OK.. give the place a whirl...the neighborhood is rough, but there is a hopping bar nextdoor, so grab a cab on your way out from one of their patrons arriving for some late night music.Special Features:
- Step it up, FC!brunchloverDined on 10/4/2014This has always been my favorite brunch spot in the city! However, the last few times I have been there to eat have been disappointing. I finally went to dinner there and was very disappointed by the two bottles of wine we ordered and the dinner entry was kind of bland. I just went again for brunch last weekend and was very surprised that they messed up my brunch order 3 times, and then did not even discount the bill. After asking the server about it, he revised the bill (after speaking with his manager), but frankly I was quite surprised that I even had to ask. Again, I want to LOVE this place... I will try one more time.Special Features:
- Great night!shornDined on 10/3/2014Had a super delicious meal here with a friend and FC never disappoints. I celebrated my 40th here with a large group and got just as amazing service as when it was two of us. Perfect food, unrushed service, and though the tables are close together it doesn't feel crowded. Swordfish was amazing and truly a stand out dish. Cocktails are imaginative and flavorful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun and FantasticLauriDined on 10/3/2014We were in San Francisco visiting our son and met several of his friends for dinner. The food was fantastic! Such a fun and energetic environment. I would definately recommend this to friends.Special Features:
- Great place but...CarlosDined on 10/2/2014The great thing about the place is that you have dinner watching the movies but the table that I got through Open Table was not where the screen is so I couldn´t watch the movie.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/1/2014I had a great time!! Me and my boyfriend were celebrating our 5 year anniversary and thy even brought us a candle in our dessert!!! We will be back for sureSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A WinnerSarasotaLadyVIPDined on 10/1/2014Last week I hosted three friends to dinner at Foreign Cinema and the vibe was great. We had a good table and the good service. Everyone loved the food and having the movie playing was a nice touch for ambience but don't go if that's why you are going as you cannot hear. I will go back.Special Features:
- Previous experience much betterChowhoundVIPDined on 10/1/2014Went here about a month ago and it was a great experience. This time not so much. Both dishes significantly undercooked and the service was extremely slow. Not a big fan of the vinegar/onion sauce with the raw shellfish either but that's more of a personal preference.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinnerJonasDined on 9/29/2014overall great experience - food, service and environment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful spotJewelsDined on 9/29/2014Our first time at Foreign Cinema and we will definitely go back. The wine list, our waitress, the food, our whole experience was wonderful. We eat out in SF a lot and this is by far one of the cities best places to eat. Great evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as good as it wasJBlackDined on 9/28/2014I went to Foreign Cinema for brunch about 18 months ago and was blown away by it. I still remember what I ordered and how great it was. It took a while for me to get back there but when I did this passed weekend I was a bit disappointed. I scanned the menu for a long while and nothing off it jumped out at me - the options were quite 'breakfasty' whereas last time i remember the options being quite interesting and different. I don't think i'd bother going back - well I'd definitely check the menu out online first before going. The service was amazing though, our waitress was superb!Special Features:
- Real and excellentNativesfDined on 9/28/2014What a gift! Real food creatively prepared! Friendly and helpful staff in an aesthetically pleasing brick environment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SFOvsitorDined on 9/27/2014Very cool vibe. Hidden away, but explodes with energy when you get to the dining area. Wait person was a real pro and really understood how the food was prepared. Little neck Clams were some of the best I've had.Special Features:
- Fantastic as alwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014Great food across the board - selection, flavors, presentations all very appetizing and w/ skilled culinary touch. Fun cocktail list. Wine list very good for the menu. Outdoor courtyard ambience, with the B/W foreign film, very rustic, artistic and European-ish. Table service was outstanding. First class place with a great neighborhood appeal ... without the downtown restaurant snobbishness.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experience, service dippyJB10VIPDined on 9/27/2014Always love coming to Foreign Cinema for Sunday brunch. Place busy but it took a long while to get some water. Server did not know what ingredients were in their Regents Park cocktail although that was the one they were recommending on their menu. Brought deserts without any utensils. Food portions did not seem as large as on previous visits. That said still a great experience.Special Features:
- Stopped in for desertOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/26/2014Visited Foreign Cinema after and evening at Urban Putt (just 2 blocks away). Got the Cheesecake with blueberries, very yummie.Special Features:
- Long wait, terrible serviceearnshaw416Dined on 9/26/2014Arrived at 9:15 for a 9:30 reso. Sweated it out in the bar until seated at 10:45. First course arrived at 11:30. I could live with that if everything else was good. But the service was terrible. The check-in guy should not be working with people. The waiter tried harder, but made odd recos such as ordering the steak medium. When I noticed the kitchen forgot 30% of my mixed grill, the waiter offered me a free dessert. I ordered a chocolate dessert for us to share as we finished our wine. The waiter brought my dessert (charged to bill) along with a second "free dessert" which no one wanted - an acidic pineapple granita that did not go with our wine. Didn't get out till 12:30+. Only plusses- wine list ok and nice space.Special Features:
- Sit in the "patio"Almost5staraDined on 9/26/2014I had made a note that we were celebrating my daughters 21st birthday and that I would like a special table. It was our first time and I would have liked to have been in the room with the strings and the foreign films playing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lived up to hypeSwhyteDined on 9/25/2014Had a great oyster selection and great small plates. Has a great Mission location next to a bar if you want to pre-gameSpecial Features:
- Delicious.lefrancescaDined on 9/23/2014Food was incredible (dinner), outdoor seating is awesome. Definitely going back for brunch.Special Features:
- 2 $$ or 3 $$$?JaneVIPDined on 9/23/2014While everything was delicious and the experience was excellent. Prices are high and not what I thought they should be for a restaurant that Open Table has rated as $$. I felt I was deceived.Special Features:
- YumMinSF01VIPDined on 9/22/2014finally made it there after a decade! Well worth the wait.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic All AroundCaroline925Dined on 9/20/2014Great food, great service, great ambiance. I would definitely return. Our appetizers of Early Girl tomato soup and carpaccio were excellent, and the pork chop and bavette steak were delicious main courses. Justin provided excellent service and paired wine perfectly for us.Special Features:
- ExcellenthiredgoonDined on 9/20/2014Great food great service great ambiance. Been here twice and continually impressed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.