2534 Mission St.
San Francisco, CA 94110Neighborhood:
CalifornianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.foreigncinema.com/
- Phone: 4156487600
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday thru Friday, seating from 6pm until 10pm. Saturday seating from 5:30pm until 11pm. Sunday seating from 5:30pm until 9pm. Weekend Brunch: Saturday & Sunday 11:00am until 2:30pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Gayle Pirie & John Clark
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Movies; see restaurant website for schedule. While we try to honor all request, none are guaranteed.
A word from Foreign Cinema
Foreign Cinema is a 'one of a kind', nationally acclaimed restaurant combining foreign and independent films with Cal-Med cooking. Enjoy an industrial chic setting, complete with outdoor courtyard, mezzanine and full bar.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Foreign Cinema - Best Restaurants in Mission ›
Foreign Cinema reviews from OpenTable diners
463 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (307)great for outdoor dining (303)special occasion (256)romantic (223)hot spot (180)neighborhood gem (177)good for groups (169)notable wine list (129)great for brunch (109)vibrant bar scene (65)late-night find (51)great for lunch (27)kid-friendly (23)scenic view (10)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/27/2014Very cool vibe. Hidden away, but explodes with energy when you get to the dining area. Wait person was a real pro and really understood how the food was prepared. Little neck Clams were some of the best I've had.Special Features:
- Great experience, service dippyJB10VIPDined on 9/27/2014Always love coming to Foreign Cinema for Sunday brunch. Place busy but it took a long while to get some water. Server did not know what ingredients were in their Regents Park cocktail although that was the one they were recommending on their menu. Brought deserts without any utensils. Food portions did not seem as large as on previous visits. That said still a great experience.Special Features:
- Long wait, terrible serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/26/2014Arrived at 9:15 for a 9:30 reso. Sweated it out in the bar until seated at 10:45. First course arrived at 11:30. I could live with that if everything else was good. But the service was terrible. The check-in guy should not be working with people. The waiter tried harder, but made odd recos such as ordering the steak medium. When I noticed the kitchen forgot 30% of my mixed grill, the waiter offered me a free dessert. I ordered a chocolate dessert for us to share as we finished our wine. The waiter brought my dessert (charged to bill) along with a second "free dessert" which no one wanted - an acidic pineapple granita that did not go with our wine. Didn't get out till 12:30+. Only plusses- wine list ok and nice space.Special Features:
- Sit in the "patio"OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/26/2014I had made a note that we were celebrating my daughters 21st birthday and that I would like a special table. It was our first time and I would have liked to have been in the room with the strings and the foreign films playing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lived up to hypeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/25/2014Had a great oyster selection and great small plates. Has a great Mission location next to a bar if you want to pre-gameSpecial Features:
- Delicious.lefrancescaDined on 9/23/2014Food was incredible (dinner), outdoor seating is awesome. Definitely going back for brunch.Special Features:
- 2 $$ or 3 $$$?JaneVIPDined on 9/23/2014While everything was delicious and the experience was excellent. Prices are high and not what I thought they should be for a restaurant that Open Table has rated as $$. I felt I was deceived.Special Features:
- YumMinSF01VIPDined on 9/22/2014finally made it there after a decade! Well worth the wait.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic All AroundCaroline925Dined on 9/20/2014Great food, great service, great ambiance. I would definitely return. Our appetizers of Early Girl tomato soup and carpaccio were excellent, and the pork chop and bavette steak were delicious main courses. Justin provided excellent service and paired wine perfectly for us.Special Features:
- ExcellenthiredgoonDined on 9/20/2014Great food great service great ambiance. Been here twice and continually impressed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- hot date nightge8moodVIPDined on 9/20/2014Loved this place. Thoughtful menu and bar items. Unique atmosphere outside with film showing in background. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- Great ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 9/20/2014We have lived in SF for 2.5 years and been to many great restaurants. For some reason we had not been to Foreign Cinema but now I look forward to coming back soon. We loved the appetizer menu so we decided we (my wife and I) would share one entree (Pork) and also share 4 appetizers (tuna, beef carpaccio, cod, calamari. That turned out to be a great approach. All the food was amazing. We loved every dish. It truly was a great experience and can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- Cute place, food was okjcsunVIPDined on 9/19/2014My husband and I came here while on our first trip to San Francisco. I chose this restaurant because of the reviews and how unique and different of an experience I thought this would be. The ambience and setting were absolutely great. I wanted to like the food more but was mixed. Portions were small, the dinner entrees a bit simple. I liked my sole though but my husband was underwhelmed by the swordfish. Dessert was awesome though, got the chèvre cheesecake. Our server was great. She was friendly and attentive.Special Features:
- Nice Spot --Still On the FenceLopakaVIPDined on 9/19/2014Nice spot. Gave us a great table and a nice memento from the restaurant's 15 anniversary party. Great server he even laughed at my jokes. Calamari was really memorable. We ordered a ton of food multiple starters with our entree - but walked away kinda hungry. I guess my personal bottom line? Small portions - stopping it from being the complete package! But I Liked it..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, beautiful settingwchamDined on 9/17/2014Always enjoy my dinners here!:) Great food, beautiful setting.Special Features:
- Great special occasion dinnerfoodaholicDined on 9/17/2014We went for husband and son's birthdays. It was pricey but worth it. Great service by our waiter Robbie and interesting set up to be able to watch a movie on the side of the brick building. Funky little bar next-door with upstairs seating so can relax and converse or check out the neighborhood. Recommend bringing own wine. Parking wasn't a problem at 5:45pm. We had a duck appetizer, poke, oysters (yum) and sautéed calamari in chile sauce (meh). The pork chop was oh so good. Tender and juicy with a lick-the-plate sauce.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best in the MissionWandersoloVIPDined on 9/15/2014Came here for brunch or dinner and both were fantastic. The New West brunch cocktail is a great take on the Aperol Spritz. Loved the Lavender baked goat cheese in a fig leaf and the Plancha of Monterey calamari with Oaxacan-style mole was to die for! I mean, that's the best mole I've ever had and wanted to lick it clean off.Special Features:
- Left before dinnerChrisDined on 9/15/2014I've been here quite a bit. My wife and I had our after-ceremony dinner here. I've always loved it so when we had a guest in town, we thought we'd show him one of our favorite spots in San Francisco. Last night; however, was a wholly disappointing experience. Showed up at 8 and our table was ready (awesome). Sat down and waited 20 minutes for a waiter to show. Ordered cocktails and waited another 25 minutes for them with only one visit from the waiter after 15 minutes (at which point he said they were stirring the cocktails). After that, we decided to leave and dine elsewhere. The waiter didn't seem concerned that we left before we even finished our drinks. The couple sitting next to us was having similar issues with the same waiter.Special Features:
- Fabulous evening!GigantefanDined on 9/14/2014We were a large group seated right smack in the center of the outdoor courtyard. Food was excellent-you could here the oohs and ahhs throughout the evening. A perfect way to cap our San Francisco experience. Thank you for a memorable evening.Special Features:
- Awesome!PizzamanDined on 9/13/2014We were in from out of town and took a chance that this place would be all its web site said it would and IT WAS ! Great menu, fun atmosphere, exceptional service...the film was a bonus. One of those restaurants where you can tell that all are enjoying the experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun Date NightCaliCuisineLoverDined on 9/13/2014We really enjoyed all the dishes we were served and our wine was fantastic as well. I love finding a restaurant where you can become absorbed in the food and atmosphere and not feel rushed. Worth every penny!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still Don't Get This PlaceDannyGVIPDined on 9/13/2014So many people rave about this place, but I still don't get it. I was underwhelmed on my 1st visit for dinner a while ago but, nonetheless, my friend and I decided to give it a try for brunch. The menu looked decent and had a lot of non-egg and healthy options which are always good to have. Have to say that service was pretty slow (to be fair to them it was toward the end of the brunch session). More worryingly, the food wasn't anything special. The best thing was the salad, and the accompanying bacon with my friend's egg dish was pretty tasty. The squid dish wasn't great - textures and flavors just didn't work. I'll probably give Foreign Cinema one more chance, but not in a hurry to go back.
- Expected moreIHeartFoodExperiencesDined on 9/11/2014My first time here. The ambience was incredible and was probably what saved the evening for me. Food was ok, I ordered the tandoori lamb and left hungry due to the tiny protein portion which was fatty and undercooked to the point of being raw. The flavors were pleasant but I hate leaving a restaurant where I paid $80 for my meal and leave hungry.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Up there with the best.DiningCharlestonVIPDined on 9/10/2014Every detail of this place is interesting. Someone put their heart and soul into the eclectic, tasteful decor at Foreign Cinema. The menu has Indian, Latin and Mediterranean influences and a plethora of delicious small plate to try. If you're not in the mood for small plates, there were some delicious looking entrees on offer. Bravo.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- outstanding service - average foodvisitorDined on 9/10/2014we loved the ambiance and were impressed with really good service but the food was only average. It seems as if the chef was insecure about the use of spices and sauces and hence mixed too many things into one dish (trying to be fancy) and therefore ruined the flavour of the individual ingredients. My wife had a rice dish that had (among others) a vinaigrette sauce that was so intense that the whole dish just tasted like that and nothing else. That was pretty boring to be honest. Loved the fresh oysters as our starter though!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun at Foreign CinemaSmarodaDined on 9/9/2014My wife and I were on our honeymoon in SF. Stopped by Foreign Cinema on a Tuesday night, per a local's recommendation. The vibe was happening, it was packed. The wine list was unique, and wines were available in 500ml carafe sizes, perfect for a two person dinner. The pork chop was top notch.Special Features:
- Yummy outdoor charmMiamiNiceVIPDined on 9/8/2014We loved our romantic dinner at Foreign Cinema!! Thanks for your good recommendations, Nina, a special waitress! The movie started as we were finishing....great idea to have outdoor movie!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great setting, average foodPaulHDined on 9/6/2014Setting is great, service was good to OK, food was OK (except for the fried chicken, which is very good). We tried several of the wines, and all were only of fair quality.
- Feel Good FoodarmorettoDined on 9/6/2014The patio was an excellent place to dine. It was fun to see a wedding take place. The menu selection was a nice variety of pairings. The Seabass & hangar steak with Romesxo sauce was outstanding. Strawberry shortcake with nuts & blackberry ice cream was a nice ending to a delightful meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/5/2014Really delicious food and awesome ambiance/atmosphere. Had: Pork chop Seabass Brandade Cod Fish Prosciutto All were delicious. The service was also great and we were able to have a drink at the bar while waiting for our table. Will definitely come back.Special Features:
- Thanks for Perfect birthdayDanielDined on 9/5/2014I've been to Foreign Cinema a few times and always love it. This time I took my father who was out of town visiting for his 70th birthday party. He loved it. The food was amazing as always, we had some excellent wine, and the waiters did a great job of making his special day that much more special. Thanks Foreign Cinema!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food-Poor ServiceBurmeseTravelerVIPDined on 9/4/2014We don't know what we did, but for some reason our server decided she didn't like us. She was the most unfriendly and brusk server we have had in a long time. We saw her talk to other servers who looked at us and laughed. We are not weird. We have eyes, noses, and big smiles. My daughter was wowed when we entered but we were shocked by our server's surly disposition. We have never done this before. We left a 10% tip. She never checked on us once during the meal. On a positive note, the food was outstanding. The Tuscan bread soup and my pasta were delicious. The sea bass & duck fabulous. We went to Mitchell's ice cream where the service was far superior. We may not go back to Foreign Cinema. Poor service should not be tolerated.Special Features:
- Not as good as I'd hopeddanjefferDined on 9/3/2014Heard a lot of hype about this place, but maybe I ordered the wrong things. Maybe a bit overpriced.Special Features:
- BarniDined on 9/3/2014Excellent food, moderately good service, with an indifferent waiter. The noise level was untenable. All parties had a sore throat at the end of the evening from having to almost yell for a normal conversation. About 50% of conversation lost to noise level. I would not describe the noise level as "Energetic" rather give the grade of an "F" in ability to have a reasonalble conversation.Special Features:
- Great Wedding DinnerArkansasJDined on 9/2/2014What a wonderful way to spend a small wedding reception dinner with friends! The food was absolutely cooked perfectly! Flavors married just right. The atmosphere was lovely, and the nice patio heaters to knock the chill out of the air is a nice touch. Outstanding service. The waiter even wrapped up the dinner menu with a rose for us!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- all hypefudExplorerDined on 8/31/2014I'm going to keep this review short. We came to see what the hype was about. I was left very disappointed. The food was ok, the portions were tiny, the wait for the food was terrible. We were seated immediately because we had a reservation. The waitress took our order, and we waited patiently. It took almost an hour to receive our food after ordering. The most absurd part was the price, ~$50 for the both of us. Our meals consisted of a total of 4 eggs, some potatoes and store bought banana chips. Totally not worth it. Bottom line: terrible service, expensive prices, and tiny portions.Special Features:
- Amazing BrunchfoodieforlifeDined on 8/31/2014Foreign Cinema amazes me every time. Delicious food, great ambiance its def a hidden neighborhood gem. The wait for our food was a little long this time (~45 mins), but they had an awesome 3 person band to help pass time. Great for romance, celebrations and just a great outdoor brunch in SF.Special Features:
- You don't want to go thereOrlandoDined on 8/30/2014Extremely pricy food. The greens were not well washed. We complained to the waitress (she was gracious and professional, no complains about her), but were served again lettuces with some soil on the bottom of the stems. And then we had dessert, the most insipid and uninspiring mound of barely-edible stuff we remember. And I asked for English breakfast tea and was served some kind of flavored and slightly colored hot water. In short: don't go there unless you enjoy being ripped off and eating mediocre food.
- What's Not To Like?cwilsonVIPDined on 8/30/2014Have you ever had a bad meal at Foreign Cinema? Of course you haven't. We had a scrumptious lunch and we didn't ever order bacon! Perhaps if we ate at FC every week we would grow tired of it---but no--I don't think we would.Special Features:
- Beautiful and deliciousTheKPDined on 8/29/2014Food and service were fantastic. Duck was prepared PERFECTLY and they graciously honored our gluten free requests. Will be back to try brunch ASAP!Special Features: