2534 Mission St.
San Francisco, CA 94110Neighborhood:
CalifornianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.foreigncinema.com/
- Phone: 4156487600
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday thru Friday, seating from 6pm until 10pm. Saturday seating from 5:30pm until 11pm. Sunday seating from 5:30pm until 9pm. Weekend Brunch: Saturday & Sunday 11:00am until 2:30pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Gayle Pirie & John Clark
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Movies; see restaurant website for schedule. While we try to honor all request, none are guaranteed.
A word from Foreign Cinema
Foreign Cinema is a 'one of a kind', nationally acclaimed restaurant combining foreign and independent films with Cal-Med cooking. Enjoy an industrial chic setting, complete with outdoor courtyard, mezzanine and full bar.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Foreign Cinema - Best Restaurants in Mission ›
Foreign Cinema reviews from OpenTable diners
463 reviews since May 21, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (304)fit for foodies (301)special occasion (255)romantic (229)neighborhood gem (171)hot spot (170)good for groups (163)notable wine list (122)great for brunch (113)vibrant bar scene (61)late-night find (52)great for lunch (27)kid-friendly (24)scenic view (10)Show More
- Left before dinnerChrisDined on 9/15/2014I've been here quite a bit. My wife and I had our after-ceremony dinner here. I've always loved it so when we had a guest in town, we thought we'd show him one of our favorite spots in San Francisco. Last night; however, was a wholly disappointing experience. Showed up at 8 and our table was ready (awesome). Sat down and waited 20 minutes for a waiter to show. Ordered cocktails and waited another 25 minutes for them with only one visit from the waiter after 15 minutes (at which point he said they were stirring the cocktails). After that, we decided to leave and dine elsewhere. The waiter didn't seem concerned that we left before we even finished our drinks. The couple sitting next to us was having similar issues with the same waiter.Special Features:
- Fabulous evening!GigantefanDined on 9/14/2014We were a large group seated right smack in the center of the outdoor courtyard. Food was excellent-you could here the oohs and ahhs throughout the evening. A perfect way to cap our San Francisco experience. Thank you for a memorable evening.Special Features:
- Awesome!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014We were in from out of town and took a chance that this place would be all its web site said it would and IT WAS ! Great menu, fun atmosphere, exceptional service...the film was a bonus. One of those restaurants where you can tell that all are enjoying the experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun Date NightCaliCuisineLoverDined on 9/13/2014We really enjoyed all the dishes we were served and our wine was fantastic as well. I love finding a restaurant where you can become absorbed in the food and atmosphere and not feel rushed. Worth every penny!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still Don't Get This PlaceDannyGDined on 9/13/2014So many people rave about this place, but I still don't get it. I was underwhelmed on my 1st visit for dinner a while ago but, nonetheless, my friend and I decided to give it a try for brunch. The menu looked decent and had a lot of non-egg and healthy options which are always good to have. Have to say that service was pretty slow (to be fair to them it was toward the end of the brunch session). More worryingly, the food wasn't anything special. The best thing was the salad, and the accompanying bacon with my friend's egg dish was pretty tasty. The squid dish wasn't great - textures and flavors just didn't work. I'll probably give Foreign Cinema one more chance, but not in a hurry to go back.
- Expected moreIHeartFoodExperiencesDined on 9/11/2014My first time here. The ambience was incredible and was probably what saved the evening for me. Food was ok, I ordered the tandoori lamb and left hungry due to the tiny protein portion which was fatty and undercooked to the point of being raw. The flavors were pleasant but I hate leaving a restaurant where I paid $80 for my meal and leave hungry.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- outstanding service - average foodvisitorDined on 9/10/2014we loved the ambiance and were impressed with really good service but the food was only average. It seems as if the chef was insecure about the use of spices and sauces and hence mixed too many things into one dish (trying to be fancy) and therefore ruined the flavour of the individual ingredients. My wife had a rice dish that had (among others) a vinaigrette sauce that was so intense that the whole dish just tasted like that and nothing else. That was pretty boring to be honest. Loved the fresh oysters as our starter though!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun at Foreign CinemaSmarodaDined on 9/9/2014My wife and I were on our honeymoon in SF. Stopped by Foreign Cinema on a Tuesday night, per a local's recommendation. The vibe was happening, it was packed. The wine list was unique, and wines were available in 500ml carafe sizes, perfect for a two person dinner. The pork chop was top notch.Special Features:
- Yummy outdoor charmMiamiNiceVIPDined on 9/8/2014We loved our romantic dinner at Foreign Cinema!! Thanks for your good recommendations, Nina, a special waitress! The movie started as we were finishing....great idea to have outdoor movie!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great setting, average foodPaulHDined on 9/6/2014Setting is great, service was good to OK, food was OK (except for the fried chicken, which is very good). We tried several of the wines, and all were only of fair quality.
- Feel Good FoodarmorettoDined on 9/6/2014The patio was an excellent place to dine. It was fun to see a wedding take place. The menu selection was a nice variety of pairings. The Seabass & hangar steak with Romesxo sauce was outstanding. Strawberry shortcake with nuts & blackberry ice cream was a nice ending to a delightful meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/5/2014Really delicious food and awesome ambiance/atmosphere. Had: Pork chop Seabass Brandade Cod Fish Prosciutto All were delicious. The service was also great and we were able to have a drink at the bar while waiting for our table. Will definitely come back.Special Features:
- Thanks for Perfect birthdayDanielDined on 9/5/2014I've been to Foreign Cinema a few times and always love it. This time I took my father who was out of town visiting for his 70th birthday party. He loved it. The food was amazing as always, we had some excellent wine, and the waiters did a great job of making his special day that much more special. Thanks Foreign Cinema!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food-Poor ServiceBurmeseTravelerVIPDined on 9/4/2014We don't know what we did, but for some reason our server decided she didn't like us. She was the most unfriendly and brusk server we have had in a long time. We saw her talk to other servers who looked at us and laughed. We are not weird. We have eyes, noses, and big smiles. My daughter was wowed when we entered but we were shocked by our server's surly disposition. We have never done this before. We left a 10% tip. She never checked on us once during the meal. On a positive note, the food was outstanding. The Tuscan bread soup and my pasta were delicious. The sea bass & duck fabulous. We went to Mitchell's ice cream where the service was far superior. We may not go back to Foreign Cinema. Poor service should not be tolerated.Special Features:
- Not as good as I'd hopeddanjefferDined on 9/3/2014Heard a lot of hype about this place, but maybe I ordered the wrong things. Maybe a bit overpriced.Special Features:
- BarniDined on 9/3/2014Excellent food, moderately good service, with an indifferent waiter. The noise level was untenable. All parties had a sore throat at the end of the evening from having to almost yell for a normal conversation. About 50% of conversation lost to noise level. I would not describe the noise level as "Energetic" rather give the grade of an "F" in ability to have a reasonalble conversation.Special Features:
- Great Wedding DinnerArkansasJDined on 9/2/2014What a wonderful way to spend a small wedding reception dinner with friends! The food was absolutely cooked perfectly! Flavors married just right. The atmosphere was lovely, and the nice patio heaters to knock the chill out of the air is a nice touch. Outstanding service. The waiter even wrapped up the dinner menu with a rose for us!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- all hypefudExplorerDined on 8/31/2014I'm going to keep this review short. We came to see what the hype was about. I was left very disappointed. The food was ok, the portions were tiny, the wait for the food was terrible. We were seated immediately because we had a reservation. The waitress took our order, and we waited patiently. It took almost an hour to receive our food after ordering. The most absurd part was the price, ~$50 for the both of us. Our meals consisted of a total of 4 eggs, some potatoes and store bought banana chips. Totally not worth it. Bottom line: terrible service, expensive prices, and tiny portions.Special Features:
- Amazing BrunchfoodieforlifeDined on 8/31/2014Foreign Cinema amazes me every time. Delicious food, great ambiance its def a hidden neighborhood gem. The wait for our food was a little long this time (~45 mins), but they had an awesome 3 person band to help pass time. Great for romance, celebrations and just a great outdoor brunch in SF.Special Features:
- You don't want to go thereOrlandoDined on 8/30/2014Extremely pricy food. The greens were not well washed. We complained to the waitress (she was gracious and professional, no complains about her), but were served again lettuces with some soil on the bottom of the stems. And then we had dessert, the most insipid and uninspiring mound of barely-edible stuff we remember. And I asked for English breakfast tea and was served some kind of flavored and slightly colored hot water. In short: don't go there unless you enjoy being ripped off and eating mediocre food.
- What's Not To Like?cwilsonVIPDined on 8/30/2014Have you ever had a bad meal at Foreign Cinema? Of course you haven't. We had a scrumptious lunch and we didn't ever order bacon! Perhaps if we ate at FC every week we would grow tired of it---but no--I don't think we would.Special Features:
- Beautiful and deliciousTheKPDined on 8/29/2014Food and service were fantastic. Duck was prepared PERFECTLY and they graciously honored our gluten free requests. Will be back to try brunch ASAP!Special Features:
- Foreign Cinema Reviewadept2SFDined on 8/29/2014Foreign Cinema had a wonderful ambiance, something like romantic charm and urban cool mixed together. The service was just the right quality of attention to detail, paired with the ability to be completely imperceptible. Food and drink were truly excellent, no doubt these chefs are very accomplished. This would be a very pleasant dining destination for a variety of occasions, most notably a romantic date or an enchanting night out with a group of friends. Explore all Foreign Cinema has to offer, you will not regret it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our First Nite In San FranciscoexopchefDined on 8/29/2014What a pleasant way to start our visit. The prior reviewers were right. Had a most enjoyable meal in a courtyard like setting. Food presentation was spot on. Service was excellent and our waitress was warm and friendly. She was wonderful in helping us navigate the menu. A fine beginning to our San Francisco visit. Look forward to returningSpecial Features:
- Hot spotlceCreamDined on 8/28/2014Lively atmosphere with great food. Outdoor area pleasant and movies shown at night.Special Features:
- highest recommendationkurtdismasVIPDined on 8/25/2014great food, great venue, great staff, terrific wine list. a consistent winner.Special Features:
- You get what you pay for..BinaroundDined on 8/25/2014The servers are healthy! Of course, you are paying for their health care. This is an inexpensive venue but the food is always good to excellent, innovative and pleasurable. The service is very attentive, polite and unobtrusive. One moment you're thinking you need more water and the next your glass if full, you're feeling the table is getting cluttered and the extra dishes are gone, you desire an additional item and the waiter appears. I don't know how they do that! It is my number one venue for Mission District dining, big party or romantic interlude, never disappoints. The bill may surprise you at the end of the meal. All the elements that made your experience delightful and satisfying leave a cumulative impact on your wallet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always fantasticEatingSFDined on 8/23/2014Foreign Cinema is consistently one of my favorite places. Great cocktails, extensive wine list, excellent service and delectable cuisine. Great patio. Go!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fit for foodiesCraigCDined on 8/23/2014Great dinner at foreign cinema. Flavours worked well together and perfectly balanced. Juiciest pork chop I've ever eaten. Desserts were perfect and the cocktails well mixed. Portion sizes perfect for us Europeans not too big but not small. It is quite lively noise wise but you get used to it. Beautiful space. Great understated service. Very reasonably prices for the quality of the food. Dined at Nopa the next night which paled in comparison to FC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mission Gem - StillKiddendadVIPDined on 8/23/2014And great presentation. Brandade is a consistent table pleaser, though every dish showcased attention to detail and innovative pairing of fresh ingredients. But there is clearly a purpose to the matches beyond innovationSpecial Features:
- NinaVIPDined on 8/22/2014The quality of the food was very poor. We don't understand why the Zagst rating was high. Terrible disappointment. Also thought the wines by the glass list was inferior. Very pricey and for what?Special Features:
- InterestingSFORookieDined on 8/20/2014The restaurant, food, service, wine, and decor was all fabulous. Our waiter recommended a wine that the whole table loved. There wasn't a thing on the menu that we didn't love. Having a foreign movie in the background was kind of fun, but honestly we didn't pay attention we were so into the food and the company. The only off-putting part for me was the neighborhood. I've been told by people that live in San Fran that the neighborhood isn't bad and that I'm being silly. But as someone not from the city, I didn't feel comfortable there alone at night. I've traveled to a lot of big cities and found this neighborhood to be on my "don't need to visit again" list. Just a few blocks away things get much nicer, but the Mission has its own charm.Special Features:
- All elements come togetherWellworthrecommendingVIPDined on 8/19/2014This popular restaurant has been 'doing it' well for many years. The innovative, but not contrived, food and excellent service add up to a great dining experience. It's always crowded and definitely noisy, but when you're up for a really upbeat atmosphere with expert cooking and attentive service this restaurant is great.Special Features:
- Excellent!janlikebeerVIPDined on 8/19/2014We had three dishes: the little gem lettuce, monterey calamari, and the herbs de province lamb. All were perfectly prepared, with wonderful ingredients, and nicely presented. However, the lamb stood out as one of the best tasting and prepared that I've experienced and paired with the merguez sausage - wonderful! The service was attentive and accommodating. All around an excellent experience!Special Features:
- Delicious FoodSevillachicaDined on 8/17/2014This was the best meal that we had while visiting San Francisco. My husband and I both ordered the lamb entree which was awesome. We also enjoyed the inventive and original cocktails.Special Features:
- NathanDined on 8/17/2014Great food but a little overpriced. It is a cool and fun place to go and we are glad we went. My only issue is the price. All entrees are basically $30, apps are around $15 each and the oysters are a ripoff at $4 each. Drinks were reasonable for San Francisco. You only see the movie if you are sitting outside which they don't tell you in advance. The good however was my steak was fantastic and my wife's chicken was incredible. The healthy sf tax of 3.5 % is a joke and should averaged in the cost of the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect anniversary dinnerTomZDined on 8/17/2014Couldn't have asked for a more perfect dinner to celebrate. We had made reservation at 9:30, but they were able to accomdate us at 6 because of changes to our plans. Very little wait time (seats at bar for the wait) and a very helpful/friendly waiter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Interesting spacefoodcriticDined on 8/17/2014Located in a fairly grungy area in the Mission. It was a pleasant surprise to open the door and enter a lofty, open space with soaring ceilings and a huge wall which movies are projected on after dark. The food was more than decent, though not extraordinary. My omelette was only accompanied by a small side salad, making the $16 price steep. To not serve toast with an omelette is really chintzy, so hard to give full marks for the meal.Special Features:
- Wonderful restaurantnoladinerVIPDined on 8/16/2014Everything was fabulous! Outstanding food and ambience. I can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Date nightMelissaDined on 8/15/2014Great outdoor dining and perfect for a date night or dining with friends. Goat cheese, charcuterie board and pork dishes were all fabulous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.