The Forebay at Hershey Lodge
325 University Drive
Hershey, PA 17033Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
The Forebay at Hershey Lodge
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.dininginhershey.com/
- Phone: 7175205408
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner served daily beginning at 5:00 PM.
Reservations are not available from Memorial Day to Labor Day.
Large party reservations are not available online.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Richard Dingle
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining
A word from The Forebay at Hershey Lodge
The Forebay serves up creative comfort food, including a variety of steaks, chops, and fresh seafood, in a friendly and inviting atmosphere. Enjoy our house-created favorites with a twist and our premium top-shelf bar featuring small-batch spirits and an extensive wine-by-the-glass list, in a relaxed, rustic setting. All of our steaks and chops are char-grilled to your liking, and look for our daily seafood chalkboard specials.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Forebay at Hershey Lodge reviews from OpenTable diners
2 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (1)great for outdoor dining (1)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Excellent service and foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/20/2014Great menu choices and wonderful service. We ate there two nights in a row. Portions are perfect and everything was deliciousSpecial Features:
- The following 283 reviews are from the The Forebay at Hershey Lodge reviews archive.
- We love The Forebay LoungeTraceyFoxDined on 5/25/2014After a long day at Hershey Park, we like to treat ourselves to a delicious dinner at The Forebay Lounge. The atmosphere is always quiet and calm - exactly what we need to unwind after a busy day.Special Features:
- Very impressiveOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/17/2014The food was amazing, and Steve our wait staff was very knowledgable knowledgable about specific wines and recommended proper food preperation when orderingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FindDOCSOLDined on 5/11/2014Every single item we had was made with the freshest ingredients and exceeded our expectations in every way possible. Fine dining and kid friendly. Perfect.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/11/2014pleasant atmosphere , great food. outdoor seating was a bonusSpecial Features:
- Tasted great!camper4everVIPDined on 5/3/2014We loved eating at the Forebay for dinner. The food was great. The servers need to check on drinks more often. There were some loud children in there. We had a reservation and asked for a window table. We were seated where we couldn't see out the windows.Special Features:
- Birthday DinnerbiffsmithDined on 5/1/2014We were in Harrisburg last week for a conference that fell on my husband's birthday. I booked his birthday dinner here and was really glad I did. The food was excellent, the pricing was in-line (not over-priced), and our server, Jim, was TERRIFIC! We were a party of 7 and fit very comfortably. Highly recommend!Special Features:
- Retirement dinnerTaperoDined on 4/25/2014We had booked for 8 and had one last minute cancellation. The staff immediately changed us to another table with a smile and took great care of us all evening. The food was excellent but what made our evening was the service. There is a large terrace (upstairs) which looks inviting for warm weather dining too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Magic26601Magic26601Dined on 4/18/2014Oysters were the size of a dime (smallest I have ever seen). Sever was prompt and polite. Our salads were ok but nothing special. Entrees were poorly seasoned and overpriced. Too many other nice restaurants in the area to waste a trip to Forebay.
- KathyB visitKathyBDined on 4/11/2014I found the service to be fabulous, kid friendly for my 6 year old (I reserved early). The food a I ordered was memorably great, as was the Hershey themed martinis. I loved being able to go there and see the lodge afterwards which has a beautiful lobby. I would definitely recommend The Forebay.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, not greatLeahYDined on 4/8/2014Let me start by saying that the service here was wonderful. Immediately, they let us know that the next time we come, we should use the valet parking as it is complimentary. They sat us at a table by the window; which was nice. The server was very kind, attentive and knowledgeable. As for the food and the ambiance, it was good, but nothing to write home about. Was happy to try it, but probably wouldn't choose to go back with so many other great restaurants in the Harrisburg/Hershey area.
- fatty meatbigmikeDined on 4/6/2014my girlfriend both ordered bbq ribs and they were both fatty.Special Features:
- AmericanagetinmybellyDined on 4/5/2014Food choices were standard American fare. Wine list was just OK. Service was fantastic though. I had the shepherds pie with lamb. Was not a traditional shepherds pie but passed on taste and presentation. The lamb was a bit fatty and there was not much of it. My wife had the filet mignon. Overcooked. The kale salad was done very nicely. Maybe I'll come back in the summer and have a beer and burger out on the patio.Special Features:
- Hits and MissesHersheyFoodieDined on 3/28/2014We were really excited to try the Forebay after an experience at the Hershey Grill. Sadly, our server was being trained by a more experienced member of the staff and I think that's where our service level fell off. She forgot our appetizer (cheese plate that was delicious), until after our entrees arrived. My filet was delicious, but my boyfriend's short ribs were a little on the fatty side. I will say that our experienced server was impeccable, but I think he was held back by having to train someone new. The menu has a lot of high quality items that you'd expect would be amazing, but fell short in the execution.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent diningTammyDined on 3/19/2014The food is always excellent and the wait staff is very accommodating. We make this a part of our dining experience every year.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!!!!!nadine825Dined on 3/7/2014This was our first time at the Forebay and I have to say it was amazing....the food especially was absolutely excellent. We both had seafood dishes!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent food!!!happydinerDined on 3/7/2014Great food & excellent service! Definetly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/18/2014The chocolate covered February small plate selections were my choice. French toast with foie gras butter, chocolate seared scallops, pork belly. and chocolate tart. Wow! My husband had roasted oysters and the seafood mixed grill followed by chocolate cake. All delightful! We enjoyed a beautiful New Zealand savingon blanc with dinner. With dessert, I had the most delicious white chocolate martini, and he chose the Forebay coffee. The service was great, too. A wonderful choice to celebrate my husband's birthday.Special Features:
- Waiter with attitudeRoBoDined on 2/14/2014Did not appreciate waiter suggesting wine two to three times the price of the one I ordered. Also, waiters should be trained to ask "May I take your plate?" not "Are you finished"Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food: Bad serviceJoEiDined on 2/14/2014We had reservations for 2 on Valentines day at 8 PM. We arrived about a half hour early and asked to be seated and they obliged (great). The only problem was it was supposed to be romantic and they sat at us a large table in the middle of the seating area ( a table that was meant for 6). After that, we were not attended to for nearly 15 minutes and it was only moderately busy. I really try my best to treat restaurant employees fairly, but ours really seemed to be having an off night. I am not that wealthy so when I go to a restaurant that charges 25 dollars for a meal I do expect the service to be better then lets say McDonalds, but unfortunately it was not. Food was terrific, ambiance was nice (touristy)Special Features:
- Valentine's Day massacreDisappointedFoodieDined on 2/14/2014I brought my fiancée here on V Day. We expected great food and great service. Food was okay, service was awful. I started out by ordering a bourbon and coke to which the server brought a bourbon and pepsi. The worst part was the server didn't tell me it was pepsi, she just brought it to me. Since she took 10 minutes to come back after bringing the drink, I just went ahead and drank it. I did ask her when she came back if it was pepsi. She said yes and she would have told me but she 'thought I knew', whatever that means. The service was bad from beginning to end. It wasn't very busy and we waited so long for everything. Management just stood around and stared while our drinks needed refilled and dishes needed removed. Not worth all the $$$.Special Features:
- Forebay Valentines Day evening 2014KenBDined on 2/14/2014The drinks and food were all very good, and the restaurant is very nice and roomy, set within the Hershey Lodge. All six of us were quite happy that we discovered Forebay. That happened because we were late making a reservation for Valentine's Day dinner, and OpenTable found this place for us. We are locals to the Hershey area, but did not know about this restaurant, and we are glad we found it. Daniel's service was excellent, and we enjoyed the experience. It is a bit pricey, but we will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic ExperiencedrshDined on 2/14/2014We celebrated Valentine's Day at the Forebay. Food was great and service was outstanding. A great restaurant located the the Hershey Lodge. They have an innovative Small Plates menu that incorporated Hershey chocolate within savory dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food too saltyLutzDined on 2/11/2014service was great...food was very salty and expensive for the quality and quantity.
- loud and uninterestedbigmikeDined on 2/11/2014The noise level was loud and the waiter acted like he was uninterested in serving us until tip time came.
- Good Food, Poor ManagementDougWDined on 2/5/2014I visited the Forebay with a group. From the start, it was very difficult to book a group of 16, all of which were people attending a conference and looking to bond over a nice dinner. The server offered to split our bill individually (or even by tables) to make it easier to figure out the bill. However, a manager came over and told the server that she was not able to split the bill. This is ironic because the server was more than willing (because she knew it would make her life easier). We were told "not to complain" because the Forebay manager felt he went above and beyond by putting large tables together. At the end of the night, we had trouble with the bill (because it was for so many people). The manager was rude and unhelpful!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pricey but worth itMSLKFDined on 2/1/2014Just above the grande lobby of the Hershey Lodge...great ambience. Complimentary pretzel bread & honey mustard started things off nicely...white chocolate scallop appetizer exceptional...filet mignons perfect...white chocolate raspberry martinis YUM...molten lava chocolate cake...out of this world! Service was wonderful. Yes pricey...but you are at the Hershey Lodge...one of the two finest hotels in Hershey...expect a hefty bill but in my opinion worth it. Huge wine list...loved the Jellybean Moscoto. After dinner the great lobby area has a bar, coffee shop and lots of comfy oversize chairs by the HUGE four sided fireplace. The lodge also offers a dining plan...if you are staying overnight check out the details on their website.Special Features:
- Birthday CelebrationDeblouDined on 1/18/2014Went on Jan. 18th with family to celebrate my entrance into a new decade. Service was excellent and food exceeded our expectations! It was our first visit to the restaurant. Loved the combination of flavors in each dish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not bad for a Hotel RestaurantGavinVIPDined on 1/18/2014Atmosphere was very pleasant and server was Jim was very accommodating. Appetizers were Oysters, Shrimp Cocktail and Mussels in broth and we all acceptable but not outstanding. My party of three had the Filet Mignon which was a bit overcooked and did not have much seasoning, Baby Back Ribs with a very weak barbecue sauce, and the star was the NC Tile Fish which was very flavorful and cooked perfectly. All told the meal was very nice in an inviting atmosphere and I would go back next visit to the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Standard restaurant fareJofeDined on 1/17/2014Prices are a bit high for the food and drink, which are good but not spectacular. Wines by the glass are especially expensive. Atmosphere can be noisy at times. Staff is very pleasant. Service is average.
- This is our second time eatingKfromCarlisleDined on 1/6/2014This is our second time eating there, we were not disappointed. The food was wonderful and the servcie was excellent. Nice atmosphere, quiet, although they were not crowed. Very good wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good dining experienceKateDined on 12/31/2013Our service was slow and our waitress forgot our drinks. After sitting at our table for about ten minutes a manager came over and asked if the waitress had been over yet and she hadn't.... Overall the food was good but not worth the price for the small portions. Bonus was free pretzel bread to start with.Special Features:
- Romantic New YearsKoleDined on 12/31/2013Love this gem. I made reservations for New Years Eve to try something different. It was still decorated for Christmas which made it really romantic and changed the whole idea of the day. The service was amazing and more than accommodating. I will recommend this place to anyone looking for a nice and romantic place to eat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Chocolate Martinis andOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/29/2013Great Chocolate Martinis and Oyster Appetizer was amazing.I would recommend this to a friend.
- anniversary dinnermatthewDined on 12/28/2013The staff was amazing from the politeness at which they took our order to them asking what they occasion was. They also took into account the comment that I had attached to the reservation through open table. The food had such rich flavors and where plated very carefully. I also got Oyster Stew and found that the oysters melted in my mouth.Special Features:
- Waiter was great!FunnyfamilyVIPDined on 12/27/2013The atmosphere was perfect and waiter Jim was Awesome!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Expensive and mediocreicookDined on 12/27/2013We spend nearly $200 for a family of 4. The food was OK, nothing special for the price. I should have known given that this is a hotel restaurant. I just thought the food would be better for the prices they charged. My husband's steak was OK, but my son said his was fatty. My chicken was dry and I had to ask for au jus. It came with some sort of bread pudding which was kind of hard and tasteless. I liked the Ceasar salad though and it was plentiful for $10. Overall, save your money and venture off property.
- Great Christmas DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/25/2013Relaxed atmosphere, great menu and food, outstanding service. A place for the family and friends alike.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Christmas Eve Memories 2013OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/24/2013From the time we walked in the door to the time we left the Forebay Restaraunt helped to make our Christmas Eve a specual one. The staff accomadated my mothers special diet, they were fun and pleasent especially our waitress Danielle. Would highly recommentthe restarant the food was AMAZING, we are still raving about it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The perfect spotHedgehogDined on 12/20/2013The Forebay Lounge is the perfect spot for an intimate dinner for two, or a business dinner for 12. Wonderful ambiance, great food, and service that puts bigger restaurants to shame. Whether you are staying at the Hershey Lodge, or just looking for a nice nite out, Forebay is the place to go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.