288 Fore Street
Portland, ME 04101Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.forestreet.biz/
- Phone: (207) 775-2717
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm, Sunday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm; Bar opens daily at 5:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Organic, Seafood, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Sam Hayward
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Fore Street
Located in Portland's Old Port District, Fore Street opened in June, 1996. The interior surrounds a unique brick and soapstone hearth with a wood-burning oven, grill and turnspit; visible from most tables. We believe that good food travels the shortest possible distance between the farm and the table. Our menu changes every day and is founded upon the very best raw materials from a community of Maine farmers, fisherman, foragers and cheese makers. Most of the Maine foods are organically grown or harvested wild, each brought to us at the peak of its season. In 2002 and again in 2007, Fore Street was named by Gourmet Magazine as one of the Top Fifty Restaurants in the United States. In 2004, Chef-Partner Sam Hayward was named Best Chef: Northeast by the James Beard Foundation.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Fore Street - Best Restaurants in Portland ›
Fore Street reviews from OpenTable diners
113 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (89)special occasion (78)neighborhood gem (37)romantic (36)notable wine list (33)hot spot (32)good for groups (18)vibrant bar scene (12)scenic view (4)late-night find (4)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- Birthday celebrationAidyDined on 11/17/2014The restaurant was chosen for us by our granddaughter and it was the right choice! The evening began at the corner lounge with some great wine. We were then escorted to our table on the upper level where we enjoyed a wonderful meal topped off with their special dessert. We plan to return soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Return to Fore StreetOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/12/2014It has been a few years since my wife and I have been to Fore Street. We always have many family with us in August while in Maine. This year we were fortunate to spend a few months in the Portland area taking in the restaurant scene. Fore Street is one of the very best in all the region. Great menu, great service, and great food. Difficult to get a reservation, but we persevered. It was worth the wait.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great midweek dining stopMikeKDined on 11/12/2014We dropped in with a grou of four after work one night. It was next door to our hotel so convenient to walk to. Our server took care of us and took the time to provide insights to the selections which helped us make decisions for dinner this evening. Food was prepared well and everything tasted good. Definitely will come back in spite of the high level of noise that is generated when the place is full.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- eternallytnbDined on 11/10/2014As per usual, our experience at Fore st was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticmedfailureDined on 11/8/2014My husband and I took our teenager and 12 year old (they are 'restaurant trained') here for our 20th Wedding Anniversary. It was perfect. We live in Boston, but I am from San Francisco and my husband spent 15 years there, and we love the fresh, changing menus that we were used to in the SF Bay Area. Fore Street evokes that, but with its own Portland charm. When asked where I wanted to go for this significant event, the only place I could think of was Fore Street. So, we went. And the food, ambiance, service, and, well, everything, was just what I'd wanted. Highly recommended, for people who love great, curated, but not silly food, in a warm, lovely, yet comfortable space. We stayed overnight, but I'd drive up and back for a meal here.Special Features:
- NoiseOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/5/2014the food was fantaastic along with the waitstaff. the only negatie was the noise level. it was difficult to take with our tablemates and after a while the background noise become oppressive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall very enjoyable experience.ItaliancookDined on 11/4/2014Great waitress very attentive but discreet. The food was excellent with the exception of a need for more sauce/ garnishing on the sage rubbed pork. The whole sea bass was excellent. The aroma of the sauce itself made your mouth water. We would definitely suggest that the water served with the meal needs to be served with ice and lemon to counter act the city water. It was the only real displeasing part of the evening. When we asked for this it came immediately.Special Features:
- OutstandingPcmassVIPDined on 11/3/2014We have eaten here a number of times over the past several years and it remains our favorite restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedEllieDined on 11/1/2014We have heard so much about this restaurant - food was disappointing. Over rated - menu was not desirable to us at all.
- Love Fore Street's FoodgymgirlDined on 10/28/2014The food is always exceptional. Probably our favorite restaurant - anywhere.... A few issues... room was really really dark, could barely see our food. I also felt like we could have had a slightly better table - because plenty were open... not sure if it was random, but we were celebrating our anniversary, which I am almost certain I added to our reservation(?) I can overlook both of those, my biggest issue, the server seemed to not care at all. She was not friendly, not engaging, and seemingly not interested at all. It was odd. Not that we are there to make friends, but if you are spending $200 for dinner, maybe acting interested would have been "nice". It was a sour note in our dinner.Special Features:
- Great AgainGeddy2007Dined on 10/28/2014My wife and I are just never disappointed with a dining experience at Fore Street. The muscles were the best we've had, the entrees were well portioned and delicious, and the desserts stole the show. Next time we go (and I've said this before), we are splitting the muscles, each getting a salad, then splitting three desserts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Capecodfoodlover14Dined on 10/21/2014This is the one place we always visit when we come to Portland and the first reservation we make once we know we will be visiting Portland. It is always a wonderful experience in a city of many fine dining choices.Special Features:
- Excellent restaurantwakerutlandDined on 10/18/2014Fantastic dining experience. Food was exceptional, service was great and the open kitchen provided an amazing show. Would highly recommendSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the BestthebrasilianDined on 10/18/2014This is definitely one of the best restaurants in Portland, Maine, and I'd venture to say "one of the best" in the entire U.S. Great selection of food, which changes very regularly (sometimes daily), depending on local availability and seasonality. Very attentive staff. Great views of the "open kitchen" from just about every table. It's a place to go to have an exciting and interesting dining experience. Just be sure to make advance reservations so as to not be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Put it on your dining wish list!OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 10/17/2014Fantastic. From the extensive (but pricey) wine list to the absolute freshest salads and perfectly cooked meats and fish, Fore Street is at the top of our 'must eat there' list when in Portland. Service was right on, no hovering but our waitress always seemed to know when we needed something. You know it will be great when you can see the kitchen staff all smiling! Now if only the hostess would do the same.Special Features:
- DeliciousTimetoEatVIPDined on 10/16/2014We had some drinks in the bar before dinner that were great. Dinner was delicious. We started with soup and salad and had monkfish and steak for dinner. Everything was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingDemogenesDined on 10/15/2014As a chef I tend not to over-analyze my dining experience. Chef's are traditionally overly critically for the sake of their own ego. So I make it a point to brag about everyone else's cooking. I can't do that here. I must have gone on an off night, because the food was bland, dry and the selections were completely uninspired (as in they seemed designed to be completely bland and dry). Perhaps they're resting on their laurels and just writing their menu ideas kind of slap dash? Or perhaps I went on a bad night for me to go. Hopefully the latter.
- Amazing dining experienceFoodiejules27Dined on 10/14/2014The restaurant was gorgeous and we enjoyed watching the kitchen in the middle of the restaurant. The bar was exquisite, the plush chairs were inviting for you to relax before you dine and the overall design and layout was divine, food included. Would recommend making this a destination while visiting Portland. Gourmet magazine was on point.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fore sure!CharslinkDined on 10/13/2014We had an amazing experience here. The waiter was friendly and helpful. The food was phenomenal. Worth every penny.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fore St exceeds expectations!RDridesDined on 10/13/2014Both my wife and I are pretty accomplished chefs and are often disappointed when dining out and the meal is not as well prepared as we felt it would have been if we had cooked at home. At Fore St last Monday that was certainly not the case. We had guests in from London and all 4 of us were extremely pleased with our meals. I sampled all 4 of the fish dishes and found them very remarkable. The Bluefish special is the reason for writing this review. It was incredible! Not only cooked delicately and presented beautifully, the balance of flavors complimented what can be a difficult fish to prepare. My sincere compliments to the chef!Special Features:
- Over the TopSandyDined on 10/13/2014Have eaten in numerous excellent restaurants but this was over the top. This was a recommendation so we expected a good meal but that does not begin to describe it. From the hostess who seats you and remembers your name from check in, to the well informed waitress who was so very into every part of our meal, to the chefs you observe preparing the entrees as you waited for your meal, to one of the best meals we have ever had. Main courses of swordfish and hanger steak with indescribable sides. We shared two mini desserts, carrot cake and chocolate brownie which was served with a dollop of caramel, two raspberries, fresh whip cream and taste size special pop corn, oooh so delicious. Cannot say enough about this unassuming Portland gem.Special Features:
- Still good, but not great.CTFrequentDinersDined on 10/10/2014First time we went there, everything was great. This time, a year later, everything was good, but not great. And at this price point, they should be focused on being great. Getting a reservation is still difficult, so we settled for a very early dinner time. That was a mistake. From the moment we sat down, although the waiter was professional, it was structured that we would eat on their schedule and get out so that they could turn the table. I don't like being rushed through dinner, and no sooner did we finish the apps, the main arrived, just as we finished the mains, the dessert menu arrived. If the food were better, I would have been very upset. We'll no doubt try it again, but only if it's a late res for the last seating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just a RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/9/2014It was good but it was "just a restaurant". We can't figure out the hype. Food was ok but we have had better at a lower price. Hangar steak was ordered medium but was served red! Sardine appetizer was about 5 inches long with large bones. Fish entrees were nothing to rave about. Waitress was pleasant but seemed hurried. The noise level was high. The seats were uncomfortable for short people, our feet did not touch the floor, this was especially bad for my pregnant friend (5'2"). Do not think we will return, it is not worth dhowing up on time for your reservation and not being seated because 2 members of your party were not there yet. And then being told that if they were much later our table might be given away! That's rude!Special Features:
- DisappointingPandaFoodDined on 10/7/2014We wanted to love Fore Street. We are major foodies and were in Portland on basically a self guided beer and food tour of the city. Fore Street was our only disappointment. The food was under seasoned and lack luster. The ethos and presentation are spectacular (fresh and local ingredients) but execution was a miss. Foie gras was boring - how do you mess up foie gras? :(Special Features:
- Incredible!JuneauDined on 10/3/2014Best chicken we ever had (spit roasted). We visit Portland every year and so look forward to dining at ForeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurant!ShellyVIPDined on 9/29/2014I have wanted to dine at the restaurant for a long time, and I finally got the opportunity. The food was excellent, especially the foie gras, something we can no longer get in California. We were seated in a room off the main dining room at a table for two by the window. We both thought that was nice and that it would be quieter. Not so, across the room there was a table of 10 people, 3 women and 7 men who were enjoying their evening, but were VERY loud. A very unpleasant distraction to our dining experience. Not sure if the restaurant has the space for a separate room for large groups, but should consider that option. I would definitely dine at the restaurant again, but would make sure I was not seated near a large group.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExpectationsTastyVIPDined on 9/27/2014As good as it gets. Wondrous, savory food, perfectly paced, and excellently described.The best duck I ever had. A must visit in Portland.Special Features:
- UnderwhelmingSoPoFoodExplorerVIPDined on 9/26/2014Over the past 18 months, our visits to Fore Street have steadily declined from knock your socks off delicious to good, but not spectacular.Special Features:
- Friday NightTAC49VIPDined on 9/26/2014What an absolutely incredible dining experience. The SERVICE was probably the best I've experienced. We enjoyed Mussels, Chicken Livers, Squid as starters and then Venison, Hake and Flounder entrees and all three were wonderful. The chocolate souffle with caramels was unbelievable !!! The portions are large...so if I was to do this again, I'd cut way back. As an example, the mussels starter is more than enough as an entrée. The entire menu also a little pricey...so be forewarned.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 9/24/2014Very unique menu - fresh daily. Waiter was very patient with questions - delicious recommendationsSpecial Features:
- Good but over rated.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/23/2014Food was good, fresh and large portions. It's trendy right now. I have eaten at better restaurants not in Portland though.Special Features:
- One of the BestluvfoodDined on 9/23/2014One of the best restaurants ever! Hard to get reservation, but well worth trying!! Food is superb, service is great. Lives up to its reviews. Came from RI to try restaurant, will be back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful food, big excellent menuSteveVIPDined on 9/22/2014Outstanding food in an exciting, energenic setting, served by friednly, attentive wait staff. Always very satisfying to dine here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pepper8Dined on 9/22/2014Waiter's recommendations were spot on, food was delicious, hostess was very accommodating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very NiceDenisVIPDined on 9/17/2014This restaurant came with high reviews, and it performed accordingly. The food was excellent, the service sharp and professional. As it was our anniversary I was especially pleased at finding this place for this particular occasion.Special Features:
- Still amazingTravel2eatDined on 9/16/2014Go here every time I'm in Portland...so happy to see it hasn't lost anything over the years. Outstanding service, food is just so tasty and well prepared. Loved the pork belly, hangar steak and monkfish...excellent wines and couldn't even eat dessert...we took home a little box of the chocolates - WOW!I would recommend this to a friend.
- DianeMDined on 9/13/2014First time..the mussels were outstanding I would recommend and would go backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SLIPPED A BITpalu22Dined on 9/12/2014Did not get blown away as usual. Even the mussels, which we looked forward to were off the mark compsred to previous times. And the cheese on the salad was like rubber, tasteless and chewy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spotty ServiceBetsymomVIPDined on 9/11/2014Enjoyed dinner here with one exception. Two of our appetizers arrived about 20 minutes before the other 2 (there were 4 of us). The server came by a couple times and said they were on their way, but nothing came. Since the two that didn't come were hot appetizers, the other two cold appetizers could have waited until all of them were ready. The tomato pie was delicious, as were our entrees. We didn't have dessert, but I've been told they have a wonderful pastry chef. The decor didn't seem to be much to look at.Special Features:
- Still wonderful in a repeat dinner.TouringDined on 9/11/2014We had been to Fore Street two years ago while visiting Portland and found it be be very good. We returned, knowing that it's difficult to repeat magic, and found it to be just as wonderful as the first time. I would recommend this restaurant to anyone.Special Features: