288 Fore Street
Portland, ME 04101Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.forestreet.biz/
- Phone: 2077752717
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm, Sunday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm; Bar opens daily at 5:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Organic, Seafood, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Sam Hayward
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Fore Street
Located in Portland's Old Port District, Fore Street opened in June, 1996. The interior surrounds a unique brick and soapstone hearth with a wood-burning oven, grill and turnspit; visible from most tables. We believe that good food travels the shortest possible distance between the farm and the table. Our menu changes every day and is founded upon the very best raw materials from a community of Maine farmers, fisherman, foragers and cheese makers. Most of the Maine foods are organically grown or harvested wild, each brought to us at the peak of its season. In 2002 and again in 2007, Fore Street was named by Gourmet Magazine as one of the Top Fifty Restaurants in the United States. In 2004, Chef-Partner Sam Hayward was named Best Chef: Northeast by the James Beard Foundation.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
Fore Street - Best Restaurants in Portland ›
Fore Street reviews from OpenTable diners
98 reviews since May 21, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (72)special occasion (66)romantic (38)neighborhood gem (35)notable wine list (30)hot spot (30)good for groups (17)vibrant bar scene (14)scenic view (10)great for brunch (2)late-night find (2)kid-friendly (2)great for lunch (1)Show More
- DianeMDined on 9/13/2014First time..the mussels were outstanding I would recommend and would go backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SLIPPED A BITpalu22Dined on 9/12/2014Did not get blown away as usual. Even the mussels, which we looked forward to were off the mark compsred to previous times. And the cheese on the salad was like rubber, tasteless and chewy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still wonderful in a repeat dinner.TouringDined on 9/11/2014We had been to Fore Street two years ago while visiting Portland and found it be be very good. We returned, knowing that it's difficult to repeat magic, and found it to be just as wonderful as the first time. I would recommend this restaurant to anyone.Special Features:
- Fantastic!OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 9/8/2014Adam our server knew how picky we were (coming from NYC) he gave us the best recommendations and we enjoyed everything! Such a great place!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!SusanDined on 9/5/2014Our waitress was very attentive but not intrusive. Food was excellent. We had a nice table on the upper level overlooking the kitchen which was fun to watch the chefs. Our first time to Portland and would return to Fore Street. We had a reservation and would recommend making one.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What's the Fuss?SallyDined on 9/4/2014It was very convenient to our hotel, actually right behind the Hilton. It was booked every night. The food was creative and good. The chef used the best quality of foods. However, the portions could have been a little more. I was glad I went, but wouldn't go back. The food for the price just wasn't there. I really don't know what all the fuss is about this place. If it's your first time in Maine, just go get some lobster at a reasonable price.Special Features:
- One the best restaurants anywhereOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/29/2014Every summer we stop at Fore Street on out way to and from a location much farther in Maine, and while there are other great restaurants in Portland we just can't imagine missing a dinner we could have had at Fore Street. The best ingredients impeccably and creatively prepared.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reputation uphelddavidDined on 8/27/2014We have eaten many times at Fore St. over the years -- often, as this time, with visiting friends and relatives. The menu is unfailingly creative and the food excellent. On a busy late summer evening, the place was crowded, the noise level high, and the service a bit slow -- all of which we anticipated: it's the price of excellence.Special Features:
- Good FindMissDeeGeeDined on 8/27/2014Great food, nice ambiance and exceptional service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- outstanding mealRegulardinerVIPDined on 8/25/2014This was one of our vacation highlights. We had been in Acadia for a week, and relived all the sound and smell memories with the seafood here. Great casual vibe, but excellent service, and food is just suberb. We also succombed to the deserts, even though we were all full. Fabulous. A fine food experience that was as relaxed as a back yard barbecue. Did not want to leave.
- Overpriced/Small PortionsoverpricedDined on 8/14/2014Noise level was very high. Service was slow but polite. Everything had a smoke flavor due to the wood ovens. OK for meats, not for cauliflower. Wine by the glass, high price not all that good. Would not return.Special Features:
- OutstandingCookiemonsterDined on 8/11/2014I know the gourmet mag top 50 list is old, but I have yet to go to a restaurant on it that isn't out of this world. Fore street is more a more casual variant of the nations' top dining spots - consistent with Maines laid back feel. It is similar to chez panise w/ menu changes daily based on the market & the different station chefs then create options based on what's available. A few standards stay on the menu year round - one of these was the wood fired mussels which we tried & was great. The front page of the menu were small plates I ordered quail which was a full bird & could have been a meal to itself. The wine list was approachable for any budget which was nice. My wife enjoyed watching the food being prepared in the open kitchenSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RiverheadDestinationVIPDined on 8/11/2014To be the best in Portland - the foodie town of the northeast - is really saying something. Year in, year out, Fore Street continues to stand as the best of the best in Portland's fine dining landscape. Recommended without reservation.Special Features:
- Almost perfectPoppyVIPDined on 8/7/2014We have dined here whenever in Portland. Their reputation is exceptional, as has been our experience during previous visits. This time, while everything was wonderful, our main coarse was off the mark. We had the Lobster with Garlic Scapes and Corn Pudding; it was disappointing. The Lobster was tough, the Garlic Scapes were overdone, but the Corn Pudding was to die for! Our appetizer was fabulous, as was the dessert. Do visit them!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fore Street Portland MaineScottGDined on 8/6/2014We recently celebrated both our and my parents anniversaries with dinner at Fore Street. Every aspect met our expectation of one of the highest rated restaurants in the country. The food was spectacular with mixes of ingredients that just work together perfectly. The atmosphere is friendly and not pretentious. Dinner was on the high side cost wise but the value for the money is unquestioned. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh delicious foodfoodie2Dined on 8/5/2014I took my Mom to Fore Street for her birthday. The staff welcomed her with birthday wishes and left a birthday card on the table. Our waitperson was knowledgeable and friendly. We started off with a caprese salad with heirloom tomatoes of varying colors and sizes topped with a soft ricotta cheese, homemade, I believe. For the main course I had the mussel appetizer which was very good and very large. My Mom had the scallops which were delicious. We finished with a blueberry crisp served in a canning jar-fun. The only negative was the view out the window which overlooked garbage dumpsters.Special Features:
- PerfectionAliGVIPDined on 8/1/2014Fore Street is top notch. My husband and I try to get to this restaurant every time we visit Portland. Food is out of this world and service is excellent. We come from Boston and can honestly say this is one of the best restaurants we've ever eaten at. Celebrated multiple occasions here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Flawless fooddiner88Dined on 7/31/2014Our food was delicious, creative, and perfectly portioned. Highlights were the chilled and smoked seafood platter, pork belly with beets and rhubarb jam, and chocolate torte with chocolate pecan ice cream. Service was polite and knowledgable but felt rushed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- yumFitzVIPDined on 7/31/2014Loved every bit of our dining experience here. Loved the decor, the service was wonderful, and the food was absolutely delish!Special Features:
- Just the bestOpentablenomoreDined on 7/30/2014We dined here last year thanks to Open Table and made two reservations for this summer way ahead of time in order to return. The experience is unparalleled. The oysters and mussels are so fresh, the appetizers and entrees just superb, and the desserts - let me just say that the description of the blueberry crisp as "a summer day in Maine incarnate" was right on target. An important aspect of this restaurant experience is the waitstaff. The waiters and waitresses are so smart that you want them to sit down and talk with you about food or anything else. Wow. The authenticity of this place and the people (who really are the place, along with the amazing ingredients that combine to make the meals) is just so special. Thanks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PeteDined on 7/23/2014A "must try" place for Portland. Consistently good - recommend highly!I would recommend this to a friend.
- jlp0000Dined on 7/22/2014The food was outstanding. Like beyond. We ordered too much food and wanted to explode. The only part my husband did not enjoy was his cocktails because both were very watered down.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Meal EvermesmDined on 7/21/2014A definite must if you are going to be in Portland. Make sure to get reservations well in advance. At 5:30, people were told there was a 2 hour wait for a table on a Monday night. The menu changes every day so it's a surprise as to what will be served. Fabulous old building. You can watch what is going on in the kitchen if you are seated in that section. The food is amazing! The only problem is we wanted everything on the menu. Our meals were perfection on a plate, from apps to dessert. We usually don't eat dessert, but it's a must at Fore Street. We left full, but not stuffed, and very happy. We will definitely be going back as much as possible. You'd be hard pressed to find a better restaurant in any other city in the U.S.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always wonderfulfoodievickieVIPDined on 7/17/2014We have come here many times and are never disappointed. The service is warm and efficient and the food always wonderful.Special Features:
- Absolutely delicious!allergyeaterVIPDined on 7/16/2014Everyone told us to eat here when we came to Portland and we were not disappointed! Best mussels I have ever eaten! Hanger steak and scallops were fantastic. The waiter was personable & knowledgable. He and the chef were wonderful and accommodating with serious food allergies. Dessert was out of this world! We will be back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredible Foodohays7Dined on 7/16/2014Hadn't been to Fore Street (or Portland) in years - food was just amazing. Will go back next year!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A superb experience3RosettesVIPDined on 7/15/2014We celebrated another anniversary at Fore Street recently and once again, Fore Street provided an evening to remember. Our starters (oysters and charcuterie) were excellent. The scallops were perfect with their unusual red cabbage accompaniment. The duck was phenomenal -- the best I have ever had -- and the chanterelles and cauliflower puree were wonderful. The service was attentive and just right. What a treasure Fore Street is!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodGatorDined on 7/15/2014Reservation were honored timely. Service and food excellent.drinks were perfect. Pricey but worth itSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The real dealJrpmDined on 7/9/2014Fore Street has it all inspired menu,great wine list,well trained staff, great service and a very cool room. Clearly they go for the freshest in season produce and local protein. The plates are simple but clearly well Thought out with complimentary and subtle favours. The wait staff know their stuff and can match the menu To your preferences and experience you want. Great diverse wine list. Would highly recommend for foodies.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Been better.upintheairDined on 7/8/2014We've been to Fore Street many times but this time was a bit disappointing. The mussels, one of their signatures, tasted very funky--low tide-ish. Several of the plates seemed smaller than we remembered, such as the shared vegetables and some of the fish dishes. Portions were small, prices still top dollar. All in all, at the price, it wasn't our best experience at a restaurant that is usually a home run. However, some of the dishes were as tasty as ever and the service was excellent.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/3/2014Great restaurant...super menu and delicious tastes by chefsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great DiningTar10VIPDined on 7/3/2014Freshest food, and masterfully presented. Well informed staff on the ingredients and food preperation. Our waitress guided us through the entire dining experience from appetizer, to side dishes and drinks. Highest rating possible!Special Features:
- Impeccably professional service!TripledocDined on 7/3/2014Fun to deal with a knowledgable server with whom you can have repartee.Special Features:
- Le Grande DameAvatar910Dined on 7/1/2014Of Portland and still fabulous. Not a trendy spot any longer, just damn good food served appropriately with knowledgable staff.Special Features:
- Roasted to perfectionWallyVIPDined on 6/28/2014Roast quail appetizer is delicious. Roast mussel in sizzling pan is perfectly seasoned. Tip: Dip the sauce with bread. Roast half chicken, spit roast pork and whole roast sea bass are simpler seasoned and very flavorful. Will be back again soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AllanDined on 6/27/2014My wife and I try to dine at Fore Street every time we visit Portland. The food and service was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Better than mostOpenTable Diner Since 2001VIPDined on 6/27/2014Although the food was good. The tempo was rushed. Dessert was excellent.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fab on Fore StreetSchwankyVIPDined on 6/17/2014So hard to choose from the appealing menu, but I went for the linguini with fresh mozzarella followed by the grilled quail with hush puppies. My husband had smoked cod fritters followed by blue fish with sardine aioli. We shared a side of braised chard with pork belly. Ok, we shared everything because we wanted to taste everything. So, so good. Wines by the glass were well-priced, nice choices. Crunchy, caramelized banana with house made ice cream for dessert was terrific.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't Miss!pumpkin1Dined on 6/17/2014Any trip to Portland, Maine must include a dinner at Fore Street. The food, service and ambiance were impeccable. We have dined here before and brought friends from New York with us to sample the marvelous experience of dining at Fore Street. The wood-roasted mussels were beautifully prepared and were absolutely delicious as was the pork belly and duck two ways. Desserts were decadent and worth the calories. We will return soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not what we expectedsjeanVIPDined on 6/14/2014Couldn't get a reservation after 5:30pm and made the reservation 2 weeks prior. So we order a cocktail, our appetizer was rush to our table right after receiving our cocktail. My partner ordered as a main course the scallops that is listed as a entree. 3 scallops for 37$, I ordered chicken and that was about it in the plate, I think this restaurant is over rated for what it is. We will not go back, we can find better restaurant in Portland then this one.