Forbes Mill Steakhouse - Los Gatos
206 N. Santa Cruz Ave.
Los Gatos, CA 95030Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $31 to $50
Forbes Mill Steakhouse - Los Gatos
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.forbesmillsteakhouse.com/
- Phone: (408) 395-6434
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner Only: Sunday thru Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm - Friday and Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Californian, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Brian Weselby
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Catering options will be considered. Please call to discuss.
- Special Events: We can make your private function a complete success with numerous options available, birthday, graduation, retirement, you name it we can accommodate it. Please give us a call to set up your next party. Our room can hold 36 comfortably or more if your having a stand-up cocktail function.
A word from Forbes Mill Steakhouse - Los Gatos
At Forbes Mill Steakhouse we offer the finest cuisine, all natural Kobe and Prime Certified Angus Beef. Less than 1.5% of beef is elite enough to meet CAB brand prime standards. Our menu includes, Australian Lamb Chops, Veal Chop, Australian Lobster Tail, fresh Ahi Tuna from Hawaii, and a wide variety of seafood entrees for every guest to enjoy! Our cuisine is perfectly accompanied with a Wine Spectator "Best of Excellence" list featuring the finest domestic and international wines to please any palate or budget, all thoughtfully selected by our resident Sommelier. Our professional staff is dedicated to crafting a memorable dining experience for our guests, and they share a commitment to quality and a passion to serve you. Sit back, Relax and Enjoy the Ultimate Steakhouse Experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
- Diners' Choice WinnerSteak
Forbes Mill Steakhouse - Los Gatos - Best Restaurants in Los Gatos ›
Forbes Mill Steakhouse - Los Gatos reviews from OpenTable diners
149 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (97)fit for foodies (71)romantic (64)notable wine list (61)neighborhood gem (43)good for groups (29)vibrant bar scene (18)hot spot (12)great for outdoor dining (11)kid-friendly (6)great for brunch (2)great for lunch (2)late-night find (2)Show More
- Great time till we saw the bill------OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/21/2014Forbes mill was our favorite for many years the value for the price was one of the best in the valley what happened Alexander's prices or more almost $300.00 for 2 and I brought my own wine! The service was exceptional and knowledgeable .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food is a 10!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/18/2014Unbelievable quality!! Was fiancé burthday. We had stake and ahi with wasabi mashed potatoes and it was amazing . Better than Morton's.I would recommend this to a friend.
- This was no aged steak!1streviewDined on 11/16/2014We both ordered the $52 dollar Dry Aged Steak. I believe it was supposed to be aged 30+ days. However, given there were tough tendons all over the steak and chewy fat, I am going out on a very short limb by saying these were most certainly NOT dry aged, and we consequently bought really expensive average steaks. Finally, the steak knives where uber-dull butter knives. Imagine a steakhouse without proper steak knives, and one that doesn't serve quality steak. A cruel joke I suppose.Special Features:
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/15/2014The Filet was pre-cooked then charred a second time prior to serving. So disappointing for a steakhouse to have Denny's quality steak. No bread was provided until after the appetizers and the restaurant was filled with people in t-shirts running around the tables. Will never return and will go out of our way to dissuade others from going. Very disappointed.
- Anniversary DinnerFoodLoverDined on 11/14/2014We went to Forbes for our 10 year anniversary. The restaurant had the table ready with the flowers I had delivered ahead of our reservation time. The server was excellent keeping our wine glasses full and attentive to when we finished a dish, without interrupting our conversation. The Filet Mignon, Calemari and the Caymus 2012 Anniversary Cabernet were among the best we have ever had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 10kImmortalsDined on 11/8/2014I had a first date dinner in Forbes Mill Steakhouse. I had already left a note on this when booking. We were seated in the side quieter section. The service, food and ambiance were very good. I did whisper to our as tender that it was our first date. He must have misheard me and at the end brought our shared choc lava dessert with a lit candle to my date saying Happy Birthday. That was kind of funny but cute.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Perfect Dinner ExperienceVeggieDinerDined on 11/2/2014This place has very nice décor and comfortable chairs. Our waiter, Tim, was very friendly and provided excellent service. Everyone enjoyed their meal. Two people had the fixed dinner (sample platters) along with the wine pairings. They loved all of it and found it to be very creative. The cocktails came quickly as did the bread....really good bread. The dessert was to die for (Pot du Crème with Salted Caramel sauce). Overall a great experience. We will definitely go back. Also, I'm a Vegetarian and, even though this is a steak house, there were plenty of items for me.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary Dinnerstaycee408Dined on 11/1/2014I came here for our 2 year anniversary dinner and they customized the menu to our special occasion. The service here is a little slow - bare in mind. We did get our ahi tuna appetizer quickly, but service at times was slow because i think there were only a few servers. We sat in the main dining room and ordered the wygu beef and ribeye. The kona coffee creme brulee is a must! Overall good food and service.Special Features:
- Always.greatrsz53Dined on 11/1/2014As.always.service. food, and.ambiance, were all they should be and more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2000VIPDined on 10/30/2014one of our favorite restaurants. A place to go for special celebrations.Special Features:
- Never disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/29/2014One will never be disappointed when they eat at Forbes Mill in Los Gatos. Every drink, appetizer and meal is prepared at the highest level and the waiters are very attentive to a diners need. To top it off we ate there the night the Giants were playing the 7th game of the world series and they had an iPad operating in the bar allowing anyone interested to get the score and inning without interfering with any other diner's dinner. A classy move for a classy restaurant.Special Features:
- Great steakOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/26/2014One of the better steak houses in Silicon Valley. Cooked exactly as ordered. The only thing I would like to see is more grass fed and free range choicesSpecial Features:
- GoodtutalohaDined on 10/25/2014My favorite restaurant in Los Gatos always with good food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food, Bad ServiceMikeRDined on 10/24/2014This is a restaurant we visit 2-3 times a year for a special occasions, and have always had outstanding food and service. This visit, our waiter was almost non-existent. When our food came to the table, it was obvious that it had been sitting under a heat lamp for a period of time - my son's pasta was dried out on top. After the busboy brought our food, it was 20min before we saw our waiter. When it came to ordering drinks and getting drink refills, we were unable to locate our waiter, even after asking for him, and had to go to the bar.Special Features:
- ALK3VIPDined on 10/18/2014Told Waiter I had allergy to mushrooms. Said they could substitute creamed spinach. When food came I had creamed spinach but mushrooms were also on my plate. Everyone else was served and I had to wait to have mine redone without mushrooms. Think I should have gotten some kind of compensation, but none was offered. Food was very good tho, but too bad I had to wait for mine.Special Features:
- Special Birthday DinnerBirthdaygalDined on 10/17/2014We had a lovely Birthday Dinner with great service, good food. We liked the special touch of having a personalized birthday greeting on the menu. Nice touch...Special Features:
- I will return, again!DropdeadmodestDined on 10/15/2014Tim was great and remembered us from February! The food was delicious and we will definitely return.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Birthday DinnereatdrinkplayDined on 10/12/2014I wanted to have a steak & macaroni and cheese somewhere nice but not pretentious, I got that at Forbes Mill Steakhouse. The hostesses were friendly when we entered & quickly seated us. We enjoyed sparkling water & two craft beers, We split a blue cheese wedge & everything was fresh & full of flavor & the perfect amount to share. I was trying to decide between two items & the waitress suggested the Oscar Filet & it was a great recommendation. The filet was cooked perfectly & was topped with fresh crab meat & placed on a bed of asparagus & came with au gratin potatoes. We also shared a side of macaroni and cheese & It was delicious. The staff was great & our waitress was attentive and engaging. It was the perfect birthday dinner.Special Features:
- Forbes Mill ExperienceRibEye22Dined on 10/11/2014This place has everything you want in a steak house. Aged, prime cuts, stylish interior, great wine list, and some of the best service anywhere. They have surprisingly good selections on seafood as well. If you want quiet conversation ask to be seated in the back since the main dining room and bar area can get noisy. They have an extensive wine list but corkage is only $20. Our meals were cooked perfectly. When you leave you think only about how good it was and how soon you can return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice birthday dinnerFoggyVIPDined on 10/9/2014Overall, an excellent birthday dinner I had the crabcakes, then the filet & lobster combo. (My husband had the same entree and his lobster was a little undercooked). Mine was done exactly as requested, so I was a happy camper. Regarding the ambience, it seems a little stark (or industrial?) maybe they could dim the lights or do something to soften the overall feeling.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Celebration!happyeaterDined on 10/9/2014We had my grandsons' birthday dinner here and it was very nice. They printed a special menu with his name on it which was especially touching and unexpected. The food is very good but this is an expensive place to eat! I noticd 3 dollar signs and it should definitely be 4!! It is a place for special occasions and not in my budget for frequent visits. Servers were exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food and great serviceScoopieDined on 10/5/2014Wagyu was excellent, melts in your mouth but ribeye could use a little more seasoning, otherwise it was still very good. Appetizers were excellent as well. Our server Haven did a great job! Excellent service! Would go back again and recommend to family and friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Restaurant!ThereseDined on 10/4/2014The food was excellent as was the service. Our go-to restaurant for special occasions.Special Features:
- Good food but below average nightBritcritVIPDined on 10/3/2014Not the first time I have been to Forbes Mill by any means - food continues to be of a good standard. Service/staff however did not do their part to make sure the overall experience matched up. Someone who I assumed to be the maitre'd challenged me as I arrived as though I was trespassing - bizarre style. Our waiter was non existent for large parts of the evening but we got by. Most annoying was the drunk, loud fool at the bar - near to which our table was situated. Clearly should have been cut off and/or told to quieten down - instead bar staff seemed to be encouraging him. Perhaps he was a friend of theirs. Bar area seems to have become a hang out for the entitled youth of Los Gatos. Not what I expected from Forbes Mill.
- Loved it the place but...ninaDined on 10/3/2014a few more veggies rather than the 3 strips of bell pepper that I do not eat. They looked more like a garnish that a veggie portion. Could you do some carrots maybe??Special Features:
- Consistent ExcellenceStringsaverDined on 9/21/2014This is one of our favorite spots for special occasions. The have a well deserved excellent reputation for their beef entrees. They also have a wonderful selection of appetizers, salads and desserts. The wine service was wonderful without being pretentious. The cocktail menu was extensive offering something for everyone from tea total to beer connoisseur. The Filet was to die for, having fork tenderness and a marvelous melt in your mouth flavor. I had the Blackened Rib Eye and must say it is the only disappointment I have ever experienced there. It was without flavor and the particular serving I received was composed of almost half in fat. It is the only thing I would avoid on the excellent menu. Our server, Tim, was superb.Special Features:
- Great place for an anniversary dateraredatenightDined on 9/20/2014Had the prix fixe option and it was delicious. Portions were perfect in size and the wine pairings were great. The noise from the bar was a little loud but you could still hold a nice conversation. Will definitely be going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great time!OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/17/2014We ate so much food! It was good - expensive but nice for a special occasion. Service was excellent!Special Features:
- buckDined on 9/13/2014the creamed spinach was great, steak ok, drinks very good. was a bit disappointed vs my last dining experience with you.A bit pricey vs the quality this time.Special Features:
- Excellent Service!jd03Dined on 9/12/2014Our server was Alex & he was outstanding! Very relax meal, no rush - perfect & meal was delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and servicecamytangDined on 9/7/2014Fantastic steaks for dinner. The quality of the ribeye was amazing. Beet salad was terrific, so was the au gratin potatoes. The coffee creme brûlée is quite simply the best creme brûlée I've ever tasted.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special Occasion SpotCynzinVIPDined on 9/6/2014Nice romantic spot. Special menus printed for special occasions (ex: Bday). Wine list is on the high end, so bring your own bottle to skip markups. Even though menu is steak heavy, the fish was amazing!Special Features:
- Swing and a MissInKilterDiningDined on 9/6/2014We dined here on 9/6 with a group of four. The service level was on par with the better experiences we've ever had. Unfortunately, the food quality was all over the map. The meal started with white corn chowder, one of the best soups I have ever experienced. The sautéed mushrooms, creamed spinach and au gratin potatoes were of equal quality. Unfortunately the steak, what should have been the star of the meal, left much to be desired. All four steaks, while cooked to our preferred temperature, were under seasoned. In some cases, they also left much to be desired in the tenderness category. Some very high notes, but the main entrée left us disappointed overall. The soup and side dishes brought it up from what would have been a two star ratingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just okay....JackDined on 9/6/2014We haven't been to Forbes Mill for a four years or so, but remember it being better.
- Overpriced for ambienceVictoriaDined on 9/5/2014The food is expensive and they stuck us in the back near the bathrooms. My view was the restrooms and kitchen area. Real disappointment for the $$$.
- Foody123Dined on 9/5/2014I was delivered the wrong order by kitchen staff a T-bone and I ordered a filet. I had a seating at 7:30 apparently our waiter wanted to go home. Approx 9:15 He insisted on presenting the desert menu and we were not ready to order coffee or desert yet He came back frequently trying to move us out the door It was not as relaxing and certainly disturbingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great personalized experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/2/2014My husband and I went to Forbes Mill for our anniversary. We were greeted by our first names and presented with a menu that said "Happy 5th Anniversary, Amy and Christopher". The wine was amazing, the food outstanding and the service terrific. At the end of the meal, we received our dessert with Happy Anniversary written on the plate. Such a wonderful, personalized experience. Well worth the price.Special Features:
- Wonderful anniversary dinnerMistyVIPDined on 8/31/2014This is one of our favorite special occasion places. Haven took excellent care of us and we had wonderful service. The steaks were right on, although the lobster was a bit chewy (it was Australian instead of from Maine), but still very flavorful. My only complaint is prime rib is missing from the menu.Special Features:
- Don't order NY stripCocoDined on 8/31/2014I ordered NY strip medium rare. First it was well over cooked. The second time was rare.Special Features:
- late night birthday dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/30/2014Our late night dinner at FMS was great and we think it was because of Jennifer, our wait-person. She gave great recommendations and made sure we were pleased. Even though it was very busy, our starter and entrees came out very fast. The swordfish was perfect, not dry at all, and the filet was cooked exactly as described.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.