Forbes Mill Steakhouse - Los Gatos
206 N. Santa Cruz Ave.
Los Gatos, CA 95030Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $31 to $50
Forbes Mill Steakhouse - Los Gatos
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.forbesmillsteakhouse.com/
- Phone: 4083956434x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner Only: Sunday thru Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm - Friday and Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Californian, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Brian Weselby
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Catering options will be considered. Please call to discuss.
- Special Events: We can make your private function a complete success with numerous options available, birthday, graduation, retirement, you name it we can accommodate it. Please give us a call to set up your next party. Our room can hold 36 comfortably or more if your having a stand-up cocktail function.
A word from Forbes Mill Steakhouse - Los Gatos
At Forbes Mill Steakhouse we offer the finest cuisine, all natural Kobe and Prime Certified Angus Beef. Less than 1.5% of beef is elite enough to meet CAB brand prime standards. Our menu includes, Australian Lamb Chops, Veal Chop, Australian Lobster Tail, fresh Ahi Tuna from Hawaii, and a wide variety of seafood entrees for every guest to enjoy! Our cuisine is perfectly accompanied with a Wine Spectator "Best of Excellence" list featuring the finest domestic and international wines to please any palate or budget, all thoughtfully selected by our resident Sommelier. Our professional staff is dedicated to crafting a memorable dining experience for our guests, and they share a commitment to quality and a passion to serve you. Sit back, Relax and Enjoy the Ultimate Steakhouse Experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
- Diners' Choice WinnerSteak
Forbes Mill Steakhouse - Los Gatos - Best Restaurants in Los Gatos ›
Forbes Mill Steakhouse - Los Gatos reviews from OpenTable diners
142 reviews since June 28, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (92)romantic (64)fit for foodies (64)notable wine list (60)neighborhood gem (41)good for groups (28)great for outdoor dining (16)hot spot (15)vibrant bar scene (15)kid-friendly (7)late-night find (4)great for brunch (2)great for lunch (2)Show More
- ALK3VIPDined on 10/18/2014Told Waiter I had allergy to mushrooms. Said they could substitute creamed spinach. When food came I had creamed spinach but mushrooms were also on my plate. Everyone else was served and I had to wait to have mine redone without mushrooms. Think I should have gotten some kind of compensation, but none was offered. Food was very good tho, but too bad I had to wait for mine.Special Features:
- Special Birthday DinnerBirthdaygalDined on 10/17/2014We had a lovely Birthday Dinner with great service, good food. We liked the special touch of having a personalized birthday greeting on the menu. Nice touch...Special Features:
- I will return, again!DropdeadmodestDined on 10/15/2014Tim was great and remembered us from February! The food was delicious and we will definitely return.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Birthday DinnereatdrinkplayDined on 10/12/2014I wanted to have a steak & macaroni and cheese somewhere nice but not pretentious, I got that at Forbes Mill Steakhouse. The hostesses were friendly when we entered & quickly seated us. We enjoyed sparkling water & two craft beers, We split a blue cheese wedge & everything was fresh & full of flavor & the perfect amount to share. I was trying to decide between two items & the waitress suggested the Oscar Filet & it was a great recommendation. The filet was cooked perfectly & was topped with fresh crab meat & placed on a bed of asparagus & came with au gratin potatoes. We also shared a side of macaroni and cheese & It was delicious. The staff was great & our waitress was attentive and engaging. It was the perfect birthday dinner.Special Features:
- Forbes Mill ExperienceRibEye22Dined on 10/11/2014This place has everything you want in a steak house. Aged, prime cuts, stylish interior, great wine list, and some of the best service anywhere. They have surprisingly good selections on seafood as well. If you want quiet conversation ask to be seated in the back since the main dining room and bar area can get noisy. They have an extensive wine list but corkage is only $20. Our meals were cooked perfectly. When you leave you think only about how good it was and how soon you can return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice birthday dinnerFoggyVIPDined on 10/9/2014Overall, an excellent birthday dinner I had the crabcakes, then the filet & lobster combo. (My husband had the same entree and his lobster was a little undercooked). Mine was done exactly as requested, so I was a happy camper. Regarding the ambience, it seems a little stark (or industrial?) maybe they could dim the lights or do something to soften the overall feeling.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Celebration!happyeaterDined on 10/9/2014We had my grandsons' birthday dinner here and it was very nice. They printed a special menu with his name on it which was especially touching and unexpected. The food is very good but this is an expensive place to eat! I noticd 3 dollar signs and it should definitely be 4!! It is a place for special occasions and not in my budget for frequent visits. Servers were exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food and great serviceScoopieDined on 10/5/2014Wagyu was excellent, melts in your mouth but ribeye could use a little more seasoning, otherwise it was still very good. Appetizers were excellent as well. Our server Haven did a great job! Excellent service! Would go back again and recommend to family and friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Restaurant!ThereseDined on 10/4/2014The food was excellent as was the service. Our go-to restaurant for special occasions.Special Features:
- Good food but below average nightBritcritVIPDined on 10/3/2014Not the first time I have been to Forbes Mill by any means - food continues to be of a good standard. Service/staff however did not do their part to make sure the overall experience matched up. Someone who I assumed to be the maitre'd challenged me as I arrived as though I was trespassing - bizarre style. Our waiter was non existent for large parts of the evening but we got by. Most annoying was the drunk, loud fool at the bar - near to which our table was situated. Clearly should have been cut off and/or told to quieten down - instead bar staff seemed to be encouraging him. Perhaps he was a friend of theirs. Bar area seems to have become a hang out for the entitled youth of Los Gatos. Not what I expected from Forbes Mill.
- Loved it the place but...ninaDined on 10/3/2014a few more veggies rather than the 3 strips of bell pepper that I do not eat. They looked more like a garnish that a veggie portion. Could you do some carrots maybe??Special Features:
- Consistent ExcellenceStringsaverDined on 9/21/2014This is one of our favorite spots for special occasions. The have a well deserved excellent reputation for their beef entrees. They also have a wonderful selection of appetizers, salads and desserts. The wine service was wonderful without being pretentious. The cocktail menu was extensive offering something for everyone from tea total to beer connoisseur. The Filet was to die for, having fork tenderness and a marvelous melt in your mouth flavor. I had the Blackened Rib Eye and must say it is the only disappointment I have ever experienced there. It was without flavor and the particular serving I received was composed of almost half in fat. It is the only thing I would avoid on the excellent menu. Our server, Tim, was superb.Special Features:
- Great place for an anniversary dateraredatenightDined on 9/20/2014Had the prix fixe option and it was delicious. Portions were perfect in size and the wine pairings were great. The noise from the bar was a little loud but you could still hold a nice conversation. Will definitely be going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great time!OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/17/2014We ate so much food! It was good - expensive but nice for a special occasion. Service was excellent!Special Features:
- buckDined on 9/13/2014the creamed spinach was great, steak ok, drinks very good. was a bit disappointed vs my last dining experience with you.A bit pricey vs the quality this time.Special Features:
- Excellent Service!jd03Dined on 9/12/2014Our server was Alex & he was outstanding! Very relax meal, no rush - perfect & meal was delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and servicecamytangDined on 9/7/2014Fantastic steaks for dinner. The quality of the ribeye was amazing. Beet salad was terrific, so was the au gratin potatoes. The coffee creme brûlée is quite simply the best creme brûlée I've ever tasted.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special Occasion SpotCynzinVIPDined on 9/6/2014Nice romantic spot. Special menus printed for special occasions (ex: Bday). Wine list is on the high end, so bring your own bottle to skip markups. Even though menu is steak heavy, the fish was amazing!Special Features:
- Swing and a MissInKilterDiningDined on 9/6/2014We dined here on 9/6 with a group of four. The service level was on par with the better experiences we've ever had. Unfortunately, the food quality was all over the map. The meal started with white corn chowder, one of the best soups I have ever experienced. The sautéed mushrooms, creamed spinach and au gratin potatoes were of equal quality. Unfortunately the steak, what should have been the star of the meal, left much to be desired. All four steaks, while cooked to our preferred temperature, were under seasoned. In some cases, they also left much to be desired in the tenderness category. Some very high notes, but the main entrée left us disappointed overall. The soup and side dishes brought it up from what would have been a two star ratingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just okay....JackDined on 9/6/2014We haven't been to Forbes Mill for a four years or so, but remember it being better.
- Overpriced for ambienceVictoriaDined on 9/5/2014The food is expensive and they stuck us in the back near the bathrooms. My view was the restrooms and kitchen area. Real disappointment for the $$$.
- Foody123Dined on 9/5/2014I was delivered the wrong order by kitchen staff a T-bone and I ordered a filet. I had a seating at 7:30 apparently our waiter wanted to go home. Approx 9:15 He insisted on presenting the desert menu and we were not ready to order coffee or desert yet He came back frequently trying to move us out the door It was not as relaxing and certainly disturbingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great personalized experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/2/2014My husband and I went to Forbes Mill for our anniversary. We were greeted by our first names and presented with a menu that said "Happy 5th Anniversary, Amy and Christopher". The wine was amazing, the food outstanding and the service terrific. At the end of the meal, we received our dessert with Happy Anniversary written on the plate. Such a wonderful, personalized experience. Well worth the price.Special Features:
- Wonderful anniversary dinnerMistyVIPDined on 8/31/2014This is one of our favorite special occasion places. Haven took excellent care of us and we had wonderful service. The steaks were right on, although the lobster was a bit chewy (it was Australian instead of from Maine), but still very flavorful. My only complaint is prime rib is missing from the menu.Special Features:
- Don't order NY stripCocoDined on 8/31/2014I ordered NY strip medium rare. First it was well over cooked. The second time was rare.Special Features:
- late night birthday dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/30/2014Our late night dinner at FMS was great and we think it was because of Jennifer, our wait-person. She gave great recommendations and made sure we were pleased. Even though it was very busy, our starter and entrees came out very fast. The swordfish was perfect, not dry at all, and the filet was cooked exactly as described.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just OKMistyTDined on 8/30/20146 people at a round table by the fireplace is not conducive to a fun evening - we felt packed in and were not comfortable - sat right up to the fireplace. You could not move once you were seated. Not sure why we sat at this small table - made to be a big table with chairs out in the open up to the fireplace, when we made our reservations 2 weeks prior - plenty of other areas to sit, but apparently this was the only "option" - food was ok, not great and service was ok, not great. Waiter needed a tic-tac and please don't speak down to your customers, and other wait staff needs to listen, and not hurry you through your meal and make you feel as if you have overstayed your welcome.Special Features:
- Forbes Mill reviewJmasonDined on 8/29/2014We had the most warm & elegant dinner with my son's girlfriends parents. The atmosphere is conducive to conversation and relaxation. We so enjoyed the filet mignonette prawns and Cabernet. What a great pairing. I can still remember the warm feeling our table had in quiet conversation enjoying the Cabernet Sauvignon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Be spoiled!BibiDined on 8/28/2014I was looking for a place to celebrate my husband birthday close by our home! On my search this place was highly recommended so I made reservation. It was our first time. When I made reservation I mentioned that is my hubby's birthday if there they could have candle or cake! The lady said they will take care of it & surely they did both my husband & I were surprised to see birthday wishes when we opened our menue! Then food was just awesome, service was absolutely great. We sure go back & highly recommand this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional ServiceSkkyupDined on 8/25/2014Exceptional service, presentation and the food to match. I had the prix fixe menu starting with prosciutto wrapped figs, wow, followed by a trio of lamb, swordfish and beef, all perfect. They also offered a matching wine flight that was amazing. My wife had the steak and lobster combination and commented on the quality of the tail. Over all it was a very enjoyable evening. Yes it's a bit pricey but they delivered on making a special occasion a memorable one.Special Features:
- Slightly disappointedAP2014Dined on 8/24/2014This was my third time coming to Forbes Mill and the food was not as great I as I remember from the last couple of times I was here. I ordered the blackened rib eye and the steak was cooked as requested, however my steak was sitting in a plate of grease. The top of my meat was completely covered with sauteed onions and the plate just looked unappealing. I tried to enjoy this but I couldn't. I felt like I could have prepared a better steak and definitely didn't feel it was worth the price.Special Features:
- SublimeFoodLoverDined on 8/20/2014We absolutely love Forbes Mill, especially when celebrating a special occasion. They never disappoint!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food good, but disappointedtinadonovanVIPDined on 8/16/2014A mixed review follows our Saturday evening dinner for four. The hostesses (four !!) were polite, but un-helpful. The bar area was full with people dining & very little space for enjoying a drink before dinner. The bar staff did not venture out from behind the bar to provide any service to the four of us. The dining area is very open with a "cattle" feeling! Tables very close together! Our waiter (Tim) was great & the food was very good. But, I won't rush back :(
- Not impressedOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/16/2014If I hadn't been to Press in Napa the week before, I might have enjoyed our dinner at Forbes Mill more than I did. The salads and steaks were fine but certainly nothing spectacular. The hostess stuck us in the back room behind the bar with a couple of large parties, and the waiters seemed more intent on taking care of them than us. There was a long delay between our salads and entrees, and my water glass was empty for most of dinner. I hadn't been to Forbes Mill in a couple of years, and based on this experience, I'm not in any hurry to go back.Special Features:
- Anniversary DinnerliketoeatDined on 8/16/2014Went to Forbes for our Anniversary.. Decided to sit outside,since we have never sat outside. The first table they seated us at was sort of hot, even with the shades.. we asked if we could move and they were fine with us moving down to more shade.. Ken was out waiter, whom we have had before , we just love him! Dinner was awesome, as usual.. It was fun to sit outside and people watch. Since it was our anniversary, they comped us a delicious chocolate fudge brownie and big scoop of vanilla ice cream with a candle it in.. Also they had "Happy Anniversary"written in chocolate that had been chilled around the edge of the plate. you'll also have a special page in the menu with your names on it if you mention your names at reservation time.Special Features:
- EnjoyableDrChrisDined on 8/10/2014Asked for a quiet, nice table and was put in a noisy, crowded area in spite of there being lots of empty tables. The hostess did reseat us when we asked. Service excellent. Steak a little overdone. Lambs Chops excellent. Lots of food with entree. Lamb came 2 vegies and beef with potatoes and vegie. Not a romantic place but quite enjoyable.Special Features:
- great spot in LG!OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/9/2014really enjoyed our dinner at Forbes Mill. They happily accommodated our gluten-free requests as well as my weird prejudice against garlic. Definitely would returnSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love it!!!!FoodLoverDined on 8/4/2014I wish I could give Forbes Mill more stars! This is our special occasion restaurant, and they always please us. The service is fantastic, we weren't rushed through our meal. Our server this evening, Haven(sp?), was just the best. We came to celebrate my husband's birthday, with our two young daughters, and we were all impressed with our entire experience.Special Features:
- Always a great meal.diner2013Dined on 7/28/2014We dined here to celebrate a family member's 1st wedding anniversary and wasn't disappointed. The meal was delicious and the service was excellent. This was our guest's first time at the restaurant and they greatly enjoyed their visit. We had an enjoyable time and didn't feel rushed. Thanks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous ServiceMandRDined on 7/27/2014The wait staff and hostess were exceptional. They made special accommodations for my elderly mother and were charmingly attentive throughout the evening. Although we were having a light meal, without wine, they treated us like we were high rollers. We enjoyed the decor, lighting, and quiet ambience. A charming place to enjoy a meal, which brings me to the food . . . The steak melted in our mouths, as did the sea scallop appetizer. We thought the al dente asparagus was nice, but kind of blah. A drop of lemon juice or something would have been nice. The blue cheese dressing on the wedge salad didn't seem freshly made (tasted like bottled), so that was disappointing. Still, we'd return for the delicious ribeye and the warm people!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.