Forbes Mill Steakhouse - Los Gatos
206 N. Santa Cruz Ave.
Los Gatos, CA 95030Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $31 to $50
Forbes Mill Steakhouse - Los Gatos
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.forbesmillsteakhouse.com/
- Phone: 4083956434x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner Only: Sunday thru Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm - Friday and Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Californian, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Brian Weselby
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Catering options will be considered. Please call to discuss.
- Special Events: We can make your private function a complete success with numerous options available, birthday, graduation, retirement, you name it we can accommodate it. Please give us a call to set up your next party. Our room can hold 36 comfortably or more if your having a stand-up cocktail function.
A word from Forbes Mill Steakhouse - Los Gatos
At Forbes Mill Steakhouse we offer the finest cuisine, all natural Kobe and Prime Certified Angus Beef. Less than 1.5% of beef is elite enough to meet CAB brand prime standards. Our menu includes, Australian Lamb Chops, Veal Chop, Australian Lobster Tail, fresh Ahi Tuna from Hawaii, and a wide variety of seafood entrees for every guest to enjoy! Our cuisine is perfectly accompanied with a Wine Spectator "Best of Excellence" list featuring the finest domestic and international wines to please any palate or budget, all thoughtfully selected by our resident Sommelier. Our professional staff is dedicated to crafting a memorable dining experience for our guests, and they share a commitment to quality and a passion to serve you. Sit back, Relax and Enjoy the Ultimate Steakhouse Experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSteak
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
Forbes Mill Steakhouse - Los Gatos - Best Restaurants in Los Gatos ›
Forbes Mill Steakhouse - Los Gatos reviews from OpenTable diners
144 reviews since May 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (98)romantic (64)notable wine list (63)fit for foodies (53)neighborhood gem (31)good for groups (28)vibrant bar scene (16)great for outdoor dining (15)hot spot (10)kid-friendly (8)late-night find (5)great for lunch (4)great for brunch (3)Show More
- late night birthday dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/30/2014Our late night dinner at FMS was great and we think it was because of Jennifer, our wait-person. She gave great recommendations and made sure we were pleased. Even though it was very busy, our starter and entrees came out very fast. The swordfish was perfect, not dry at all, and the filet was cooked exactly as described.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Be spoiled!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/28/2014I was looking for a place to celebrate my husband birthday close by our home! On my search this place was highly recommended so I made reservation. It was our first time. When I made reservation I mentioned that is my hubby's birthday if there they could have candle or cake! The lady said they will take care of it & surely they did both my husband & I were surprised to see birthday wishes when we opened our menue! Then food was just awesome, service was absolutely great. We sure go back & highly recommand this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional ServiceSkkyupDined on 8/25/2014Exceptional service, presentation and the food to match. I had the prix fixe menu starting with prosciutto wrapped figs, wow, followed by a trio of lamb, swordfish and beef, all perfect. They also offered a matching wine flight that was amazing. My wife had the steak and lobster combination and commented on the quality of the tail. Over all it was a very enjoyable evening. Yes it's a bit pricey but they delivered on making a special occasion a memorable one.Special Features:
- Slightly disappointedAP2014Dined on 8/24/2014This was my third time coming to Forbes Mill and the food was not as great I as I remember from the last couple of times I was here. I ordered the blackened rib eye and the steak was cooked as requested, however my steak was sitting in a plate of grease. The top of my meat was completely covered with sauteed onions and the plate just looked unappealing. I tried to enjoy this but I couldn't. I felt like I could have prepared a better steak and definitely didn't feel it was worth the price.Special Features:
- SublimeFoodLoverDined on 8/20/2014We absolutely love Forbes Mill, especially when celebrating a special occasion. They never disappoint!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food good, but disappointedtinadonovanVIPDined on 8/16/2014A mixed review follows our Saturday evening dinner for four. The hostesses (four !!) were polite, but un-helpful. The bar area was full with people dining & very little space for enjoying a drink before dinner. The bar staff did not venture out from behind the bar to provide any service to the four of us. The dining area is very open with a "cattle" feeling! Tables very close together! Our waiter (Tim) was great & the food was very good. But, I won't rush back :(
- Not impressedOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/16/2014If I hadn't been to Press in Napa the week before, I might have enjoyed our dinner at Forbes Mill more than I did. The salads and steaks were fine but certainly nothing spectacular. The hostess stuck us in the back room behind the bar with a couple of large parties, and the waiters seemed more intent on taking care of them than us. There was a long delay between our salads and entrees, and my water glass was empty for most of dinner. I hadn't been to Forbes Mill in a couple of years, and based on this experience, I'm not in any hurry to go back.Special Features:
- Anniversary DinnerliketoeatDined on 8/16/2014Went to Forbes for our Anniversary.. Decided to sit outside,since we have never sat outside. The first table they seated us at was sort of hot, even with the shades.. we asked if we could move and they were fine with us moving down to more shade.. Ken was out waiter, whom we have had before , we just love him! Dinner was awesome, as usual.. It was fun to sit outside and people watch. Since it was our anniversary, they comped us a delicious chocolate fudge brownie and big scoop of vanilla ice cream with a candle it in.. Also they had "Happy Anniversary"written in chocolate that had been chilled around the edge of the plate. you'll also have a special page in the menu with your names on it if you mention your names at reservation time.Special Features:
- EnjoyableDrChrisDined on 8/10/2014Asked for a quiet, nice table and was put in a noisy, crowded area in spite of there being lots of empty tables. The hostess did reseat us when we asked. Service excellent. Steak a little overdone. Lambs Chops excellent. Lots of food with entree. Lamb came 2 vegies and beef with potatoes and vegie. Not a romantic place but quite enjoyable.Special Features:
- great spot in LG!OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/9/2014really enjoyed our dinner at Forbes Mill. They happily accommodated our gluten-free requests as well as my weird prejudice against garlic. Definitely would returnSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love it!!!!FoodLoverDined on 8/4/2014I wish I could give Forbes Mill more stars! This is our special occasion restaurant, and they always please us. The service is fantastic, we weren't rushed through our meal. Our server this evening, Haven(sp?), was just the best. We came to celebrate my husband's birthday, with our two young daughters, and we were all impressed with our entire experience.Special Features:
- Always a great meal.diner2013Dined on 7/28/2014We dined here to celebrate a family member's 1st wedding anniversary and wasn't disappointed. The meal was delicious and the service was excellent. This was our guest's first time at the restaurant and they greatly enjoyed their visit. We had an enjoyable time and didn't feel rushed. Thanks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous ServiceMandRDined on 7/27/2014The wait staff and hostess were exceptional. They made special accommodations for my elderly mother and were charmingly attentive throughout the evening. Although we were having a light meal, without wine, they treated us like we were high rollers. We enjoyed the decor, lighting, and quiet ambience. A charming place to enjoy a meal, which brings me to the food . . . The steak melted in our mouths, as did the sea scallop appetizer. We thought the al dente asparagus was nice, but kind of blah. A drop of lemon juice or something would have been nice. The blue cheese dressing on the wedge salad didn't seem freshly made (tasted like bottled), so that was disappointing. Still, we'd return for the delicious ribeye and the warm people!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MeatLissaDined on 7/27/2014Definitely go for the wine and mixed drinks, stay for the meat!Special Features:
- What a meal!lynpowDined on 7/25/2014We had a great time. The steaks were fantastic, as were all the sides, the service was wonderful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good food, great servicecogwacDined on 7/19/2014very professional and experienced service from the waiters. We chose an outdoor table on a nice evening and felt it was much better than what we saw inside -- darker and nosier.Special Features:
- Special Event SpotTryAlexandersVIPDined on 7/17/2014I dine here for my special occasions, special birthdays and special celebratory events. The service is great and the food expertly prepared. They prepare their steaks precisely as requested, so medium rare is really medium rare, and the sides are large enough for sharing. They have a great wine list and represents a complete and high-quality dining experience!Special Features:
- Food was good but not exceptionalPolluxDined on 7/16/2014Had $65 pris fixe menu. The main dish was good but not exceptional. I would have given it 3.5 stars ff that kind of resolution in the ratings were available. The dessert was fantastic and the service was exceptional. I found it to be too noisy, however. I like some noise to have that "high energy" feeling, but this was loud enough that it made it difficult to understand what my table mates were saying.Special Features:
- Great service; food, not so muchOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/13/2014We're not newbies to pricey steakhouses. We took my mother out for her 80th birthday, The Good - waiter service was great (Benjamin). He did everything well. Some ribeyes were good. Mac and cheese was great. The bad - wine list is very expensive. My rib eye was too fatty. Some side dishes were not hot when served. Restaurant was too bright for our tastes. The ugly - the bathrooms It just seemed VERY pricey for average cuts of meat and average kitchen performance.
- Nice night outHowieDined on 7/10/2014As a party of four, we each ordered something different. We each found our dinner fixed perfectly and delicious. Our waiter, Tim, was very attentive. It was a birthday celebration and the restaurant had a special Happy Birthday for her on the menu and brought her a special dessert. As expected, the cost was quite high, but worth it.Special Features:
- very goodgapsmomDined on 7/3/2014Forbes Mill was a good choice for a "grown up" night out. Noise level was good, waiter was excellent, knowledgeable and helpful with suggestions. Parking was easy, location was good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary Dinner!RbtaylorDined on 6/29/2014I made reservations that afternoon, stated it was our 18th anniversary. The chef had put together a special menu (3 course), with a 'Happy 18th' on the top. The waiter gave us wonderful wine suggestions. We ordered off the standard menu and everything was absolutely delicious. Dessert came on a plate with 'happy anniversary' written on it in chocolate. The meal was very pricey ($300 inc tip & 2 half bottles of wine), but for a special night out, it was worth every penny!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- comeagainDined on 6/26/2014Enjoyed our dinner very much. Good food, good service. We went on a Thursday eve and it was fairly full and pretty quiet. One of my top priorities for a restaurant these days is a noise level low enough to have a pleasant conversation. FM passed the test. Would have to try the restaurant on the weekend to compare.Special Features:
- Perfect Filet MignonElsieVIPDined on 6/26/2014Again we descended upon Forbes for an occasion - belated Happy Fathers Day. By providing them with this information beforehand, they printed the specials of the day with our occasion title at the top. Classy! The service was excellent. When one of our group made a last-minute decision to get a side dish, it was met with a smile and the side dish delivered immediately. Four of our seven ordered the filet mignon. All were cooked to perfection. We tried the potatoes au gratin this time and it was delicious. Thinly sliced rounds of potato with a light cheesy cream sauce. A different, but delightful take on the dish. All in all, it was perfect... again. Thanks Forbes!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Steakhousereviewer3Dined on 6/24/2014I think this is a typical upscale steakhouse. Service was very good and all the food was tasty. Server made good wine recommendations. If you want an expensive steak, this is great place to go.Special Features:
- Things are not the sameDsnakeDined on 6/22/2014Service was great, but steaks were not what we remembered from last time, think they may have changed the recipe.Special Features:
- My favorite steakhouseOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/21/2014Always consistent quality and I love to entertain guests here.Special Features:
- Awesome Steaks!OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 6/20/2014I can't remember a better tasting steak. I asked for A1 out of habit but after the first few bites I quickly realized that any sauce would have ruined such a perfectly tasting steak. If you like a good steak, this is the real deal. Pricey, but I guess you get what you pay for.Special Features:
- ContentSatisfiedDined on 6/14/2014Staff was very friends, ambience was amazing. It's a bit pricey but it's worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/14/2014wait staff very forgetful and poor memory. He could not get the order straight. Tried over four times. He should have written the order on his hand. Lighting is very, very dark-- bring a flash light. Maybe good for date night, when you really don't want to see the person across from you. Food just ok.
- Have Had BettersuszzDined on 6/14/2014Hubby wanted steak for Father's Day. Have had fabulous blackened ribeye in the past. Ordered this on busy Saturday night before Father's Day. The meat was definitely not prime quality, had a little "beefy gamey taste." Served on our plate like it has been stacked. Carmelized onions were flat and not tasty. Was a little disappointed with the overall food, but the service was great. Maybe the secret is not to go on Father's Day weekend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for special events!KelliDined on 6/13/2014High touch service for special events - really makes you feel special!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KarendaDined on 6/13/2014Forbes Mill Steakhouse is an excellent restaurant to go to for a special occasion. Haven is an very attentive server, and very friendly. We were seated near the bar area and at times it got a little louder than my liking for fine dining. We were celebrating a 50th anniversary, a birthday, and Father's Day and Haven and Forbes Mill definitely helped is celebrate! Thank you for a memorable evening, and we will definitely be back!Special Features:
- Wonderful serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/7/2014I took my boyfriend there for his high school graduation dinner and was pleasantly surprised that the waiters treated us no differently than they treat other guests. Many restaurants don't take teenagers seriously so I was a little concerned, but it was not an issue at allSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ok but enormously overpricedfoodinatorDined on 6/1/2014Nice setting. Service was excellent, no complaints there. Food was good but not outstanding, yet the prices were definitely outstanding; outstandingly high. Dinner for three $400. As an example: the wine list starts around $100; very few bottles under that. I expect wine in a restaurant to run at most 2x retail, for an average or moderate bottle. I'm pleased when I find a restaurant that only charges 1.5x. We had such a bottle that retails for $50, their price was $125, or 2.5x retail. The special prix fixe was nice. Veal chop was good. The blackened ribeye was a disappointment; they drown the steak in a mediocre sauce, which is not appropriate for anything blackened.
- over pricedsteak2steakDined on 5/30/2014I paid $67 for a porterhouse steak that was good, but not $67 good . Wife had the salmon for $30 that was OK but have had better for cheaper . We also had sampler appetizer with prawns, scallops, and crab cakes for $36 and the best thing on the plate was the prawns . For a $240 dinner for two I expected more . If you sell a $67 steak it better be awesome, not just put a high doller amount on something and expect it to taste better or be a better piece of meat . This will be a one time experience for my wife and I . ( rethink pricing )
- Thank goodness - great steak houseSpikeDined on 5/28/2014Walking into the softly lit warm wood foyer being met by smiling and welcoming young ladies is consistent. They checked my reservation and after being greeted by the manager and sommelier we were led to the table we had requested. It is in a quiet corner and near enough to the bar that we can enjoy the interactions of guests and the bartenders. The steak I ordered was slightly over, but not enough to send it back and it was presented in a simple and very appetizing fashion by our attentive and professional server. The wine recommendations were perfect with our dinner choices. FORBES is consistently our 'go-to' steak/chop house with food, service and ambience comfortably reassuring and worth the drive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Meal and Exceptional Service.CasualDinerDined on 5/28/2014We ordered from the 3 course Prix Fixe menu. Although this restaurant has a reputation as fairly pricey, the Prix Fixe menu price was quite acceptable considering the service, presetation, quality and amount of food served. We will certainly return as a repeat customer.Special Features:
- Too expensive!BillDined on 5/27/2014Food and service were excellent, but still not worth the price. We spent $240 for three people who only ordered one glass of wine!.
- Superb dining in the neighborhoodjanjack0702Dined on 5/25/2014Forbes Mill is an outstanding steakhouse. This experience was outstanding. Despite the fact that it is busy, there is a relaxed atmosphere and the service was excellent. I guess you could call it pricey. I feel we get what we pay for and it was well worth it. We had a superb steak and a most delightful Argentinian Malbec. We live close by in Los Gatos and it is great to have this treasure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.