370 East 900 South
Salt Lake City, UT 84111Neighborhood:
Salt Lake City
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://foragerestaurant.com/
- Phone: 801-708-7834
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:30pm - close
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Bowman Brown
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Forage
The food at Forage is connected to the land around us. We serve a single set tasting menu each night made up of ingredients from the wild as well as small farms and ranches. We attempt to serve the best ingredients we can find without losing the connection to their natural state. The dining experience is meant to represent the seasons and how they change with warmth, authenticity, excitement, and imagination.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Forage - Best Restaurants in Salt Lake City ›
Forage reviews from OpenTable diners
64 reviews since May 21, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (58)fit for foodies (54)romantic (36)notable wine list (18)neighborhood gem (17)hot spot (3)good for groups (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- An artistic masterpieceGrow2liveDined on 9/13/2014It had been my pleasure once before to experience food that rose to the level of fine art. The tasting at Forage was 14 vignettes each reaching that rarified level. As an example, Wild Crayfish. A lightly charred wooden box lined with cedar fronds with a delicate wisp of smoke holds perfectly grilled shelled crawfish tails on skewers. It was accompanied by a wooden trencher reminiscent of a bayou pirogue containing a few generous slurps of crawfish broth perfectly seasoned with and barely thickened with a medium brown roux. Each course carried a theme from the previous courses slowly abandoned to new thematic elements. If you understand art, and what and where ingredients come from, once in your life I hope you can have this experienceSpecial Features:
- Food heavenTheEnglishguyDined on 9/13/2014In my opinion this is one of the best restaurants around not just in Salt Lake or Utah. Bowman was one of Food and Wine's Best new chefs a few years ago and he has not dropped his standards. Menu is inventive, prepared perfectly and artistically presented. An evening, and it is a 3 hour experience, at Forage is dinner and entertainment rolled into one. If you like to cook you go home with a slew of new ideas.Special Features:
- Too saltySb001Dined on 8/29/2014We made a reservation for 8:30, our flight was arriving in Salt Lake City at 7. We got a call requesting that we arrive early, fortunately our flight was a bit early and we were able to arrive by 8. The restaurant was nice, the service couldn't have been better, but the food almost without fail was so salty it was just about inedible. When I said something to our server, her comment was that was something heard many times before. We have eaten at many Zagat rated restaurants and have never had good so salty. It was almost as if the chef was forcing the salt. We have eaten at Michelin star restaurants and greatly enjoy good food, to say Forage was a disappointment would be a gross understatement.Special Features:
- Awesome!!!PampapcDined on 8/20/2014Another wonderful special occasion meal! We thoroughly enjoyed every delicious morsel, and it was a really fabulous way to celebrate our 31st anniversary.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Salt Lake is Lucky to have ForagenicknameforthisreviewDined on 8/16/2014We really Love this restaurant. Eighteen charactersSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really Really goodDaveSDined on 8/16/2014The food and service in this place is wonderful. I have no idea how they come up with the combinations that they do but all 14 tastings were marvelous. I would highly recommend having the meal with the wine paring. The pairings were well chosen (even the surprise beer paring :-). The only thing I believe that they could do better is to give more explanatory names to the items on the menu, it would really help to be able to follow (and remember) the food items.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MagnifiqueCedricDined on 8/14/2014Forage is a pearl. A must-try for any foodie in the SLC area. Of the 15 courses on the menu I was expecting to enjoy about half or so. In reality, we loved every single one of them. And the menu worked incredibly well as a whole. Although most of these courses are truly just bites, overall we left full and fully satisfied! Ambience is simple and intimate. Service matches the ambience: discrete, efficient, and doesn't distract from the focal point: the food, which was phenomenal. The 3-glass wine flight was also enjoyable, probably just as good as wine pairing. A wonderful experience we will surely repeat. Our top 3 pick: black currant leaf and tomato; grilled beans with barley and borage; idaho sturgeon with cream and sorrel.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SublimeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/12/2014My boyfriend and I are both foodies and have had some stellar meals in the past, but this one easily ranked as one of the best of our lives. We will definitely be coming back, and have already recommended it to multiple friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic food, great wine, spendy2goodfor2fewmealsDined on 8/12/2014I'm not complaining at all, and I understand supply and demand. This was a great meal and the space was wonderful. It's an absolute special occasion event. Too bad id love to go more often. A++Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 8/12/2014Overall the restaurant was superb, however there were two areas which could be improved. The timing of the dessert service was too slow and, unfortunately, the wines served as part of the pairings were not on a par with the quality of the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine dining for special occasionMadannieDined on 8/9/2014I took my husband for his birthday. They called me ahead of time for food likes/dislikes//allergies. My husband does not like eggs which is in one of their speciality dishes so they had a substitution for him (The duck egg was delicious so he really missed out). Service was very attentive. They explained all of the ingredients in the dishes & answered all of our questions. Their menu changes & is made fresh every night & includes very interesting & beautiful seasons including flower petals, etc. My husband is from NYC so this was a perfect choice to remind him of big city dining. We each had the wine pairings which added fun to the meal. Our evening and the food were perfect.Special Features:
- It's an experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/8/2014You are served a multi-course meal. They time the courses perfectly. It's a wonderful place for a romantic date.Special Features:
- FantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/7/2014Probably the most creative and unusual meal we have had. Everything was delicious as well as being beautifully presented. A real find,Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great mid week Night out!kiwifamilyDined on 8/6/2014We went to Forage mid week so it was not terribly busy, we were greeted by name and seated straight away. The staff where all wonderful and the food was just so taste-full and different. Each dish was explained in detail as it was placed on the table. We will definitely return. Thanks Heaps Guys.Special Features:
- UniqueTrueFoodies2014Dined on 8/2/2014A fun night. Super pricey but a must do! Portions were super tiny but 13 super fun courses.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Creative and true to its nameOnesteptwostepDined on 8/1/2014My boyfriend and I had been looking forward to dining at Forage, and it exceeded our expectation, which were high (as we had heard and read many wonderful reviews). Chef Bowman Brown is nothing short of inspired, creative and resourceful. I would definitely recommend it for a special occasion. We feel fortunate to have this gem in our neighborhood, and the relaxed atmosphere and staff left us confident that we could ride our bicycles next time without feeling too underdressed).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- make Forage a semi-annual treatvivverDined on 7/25/2014Forage was a dining delight. Amazing creativity and presentation. And peeking through the kitchen window allows guests to see how the chefs are creating their masterpieces. Best bet: visit summer and winter to experience our local bounty.Special Features:
- WowWednesdayNightDelightDined on 7/23/2014So, obviously, this is more of a special occasion/specialty restaurant. However, my wife is a professional chef, so when we heard about Forage, it became a "bucket list" restaurant for her. IT WAS WORTH IT! The food was so meticulously prepared and presented... Just amazing. The only single grip I have is the flies. There were a significant amount of flies in the restaurant due to the door opening and closing (I assume because some of the courses were prepared outside over a fire pit). Having spent significant time in Afghanistan and Iraq, the flies were not quite as bothersome to me as they were for my pregnant wife. That aside, I HIGHLY recommend this restaurant for those who appreciate outstanding food!Special Features:
- IncrediblePaintingleopardDined on 7/17/2014I was looking for a swanky foodie restaurant that used fantastic local ingredients and I found it. It can compete with California wine country restaurants. I don't know why the place wasn't packed. I'd go again. $89 plus tip for a 14 course meal is a deal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- terryDined on 7/16/2014Amazing dining experience. It is difficult to describe the food, I don't think I could ever give the amazing meal the justice it deserves. Chef Brown is so creative. Loved how each course was served I felt like I was in Chef Browns home kitchen.Special Features:
- If you love foodskinnyminnyDined on 7/15/2014It's not the first time I've eaten at Forage and will so again. If you like quality degustation food in Salt Lake City then I'd recommend Forage. I took friends there that I'd say are a bit skeptical when it comes to spending $$$ on food and I was surprised to find they truly enjoyed the food and the matching wines. I will be back to eat there againSpecial Features:
- Excellent tasting menurghaDined on 7/12/2014We really enjoyed our meal; and the wine pairing was nicely done.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Elegance without pretensionCapistranoDined on 7/8/2014Forage provides a stunning glimpse into mindful eating; the courses were beautifully arranged, as you expect, but also varied in temperature, textures, color and, like the art they were, often housed atop pebbles, ensconced in smoke-filled jars, etc. The spices enhanced the different ingredients without stepping on them. Both of us are vege-quarians and asked for any flexibility away from meats, and Forage substituted ... in the manner we'll now think "typical", with kind and delicious aplomb. Each serving was quite small, which meant we were still enjoying the 9th and 11th courses. The "final" frozen toasted elm and cherries dessert arrived artistically nested but Chef Bowman brought a few shortbreads for another birthday gift.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A jewel in Salt LakesuperDined on 6/28/2014Dining at Forage is almost a theatrical experience, each course being a separate act. The wine pairings are superb.Special Features:
- Juice pairing was a mistakeMeandmineDined on 6/26/2014I wanted to have the full experience, because dining at Forage isn't something you do everyday. I went ahead and purchased the juice pairing to go along with my meal. There wasn't any great culinary skills behind these pairings. I was given plain celery juice, beet juice, strawberry juice, apple juice, etc. I guess I had higher expectations from this restaurant. There choices seemed lazy, but maybe they were just excited about a juicer they had purchased on an infomercial that day.Special Features:
- Good Food NOT So Good ServiceAlexVIPDined on 6/24/2014I returned to Forage this week expecting a great meal & service. The food did not disappoint. The wait staff, however, treated me like I had a disease. I was dining alone, so it seemed like they couldn't be bothered with a single diner. I watched as they interacted with all the other tables. No table side conversation, drink refills took forever. Timing of courses was paced better at tables seated 1/2 hour after me. In fact, those tables caught up to me and finished about the same time. I saw the last "treat" brought to tables then later their check came. Mine were delivered at the same time. Nobody asked me how my meal was. I was so annoyed it was hard to enjoy my meal. I even thought about leaving early. I was VERY disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun foodie eveningcotrailDined on 6/14/2014Thoroughly enjoyed our tasting menu evening. Thoughtfully prepared and beautifully presented unique meal in an intimate setting.Special Features:
- Wonderful for a memorable eveningspudhawkDined on 6/14/2014I chose Forage as the venue for a joint celebration of my now-fiancée's birthday and our engagement. We could not have been more pleased with the selection. The presentation, execution, and flavor of each dish was nigh-flawless, and we'll remember it for years to come. Our experience consisted of ~14 courses spread over 2.5 hours. The steady pacing and the calm atmosphere made that time fly. We look forward to returning on future anniversaries to experience the creative menu again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding dining experienceSteveDined on 6/12/2014Molecular cuisine comes to Utah ... Forage is pricey but the dining experience is interesting and the overall experience is wonderful. We particularly enjoyed the emphasis on local ingredients and the interesting preparations. Online menus give an idea of what to expect, but your experience will likely differ because the menu changes every night. I had the full wine pairing which was good, but perhaps not up to the excellence of the food itself. My wife had the juice pairing which was sophisticated and surprisingly interesting - good adaptation to the local market! This is a dining experience to savor and enjoy slowly, combine with conversation and friends for a great night out.Special Features:
- An experience!FloridaVisitorVIPDined on 5/31/2014It was a dinner, it was an experience. Plan 3 hours - you'll enjoy every minute!Special Features:
- Great RestaurantacesVIPDined on 5/28/2014Best restaurant I've been too in such a long while. Great dishes with great service.Special Features:
- Double Date Night - Lovely EveningShanaDined on 5/24/2014My husband and I dined with good friends at Forage on 5/24/14. Our friends had recommended it and it was our first time dining there. Service and ambiance were outstanding! Food was creative and the presentation amazing! Some of the dishes were a bit too salty for our taste, and some items were a bit too adventurous for me (i.e. tar tar). However, the majority were delicious and ingeniously prepared. I especially loved the edible flowers and chocolate rocks. The staff was attentive and worked hard to ensure our evening was enjoyable and memorable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExquisiteOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/22/2014Forage is less a dining experience, and more of a journey though your senses. Each bite is expertly crafted into a flavor explosion, completely disproportionate to its diminutive size. The staff are courteous, engaging, and attentive. Forage is pure class through and through. If you've got the dough, and the time, it's an experience worth having at least once in your life.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 771 reviews are from the Forage reviews archive.
- Each course was a delish Art pieceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/14/2014Service was friendly, professional and hospitable. Flavors were beautifully executed. Every course was delious! Items ranged from simple to complex and each course was prepared perfectly. You must be able to appreciate quality over quantity and realize how fortunate you are to experience one's creativity, and finally you must be able to appreciate simplicity and local ingredients! Otherwise don't bother - you simply won't get it! We were visiting from San Francisco and this venue is a must do!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AMAZINGkajenravenDined on 5/10/2014What an incredible dining experience! The service was impeccable. The custom made pottery was gorgeous. I love not having to make any decisions since you get to taste everything on the menu. It was perfect. Not inexpensive, but worth every penny.Special Features:
- Still the bestMattDined on 5/7/2014I first went to Forage about a year ago. This was my second trip. The food was phenomenal (yet again) and (as always) incredibly unique. I just did Kiin Kiin (Michelin 1-star in Copenhagen) the week prior, and in my opinion, Forage was well ahead of that. Forage is clearly still the top restaurant in SLC.Special Features:
- A Utah treasure - pls never go awayannerie107Dined on 5/6/2014An amazing dining experience. The rich subtlety and variety of flavors and textures of the expertly prepared courses made from local ingredients was nothing short of superb. You won't believe what they serve and how good it can taste! 13+ small course set menu for $87 is a great value (relative to other similar gourmet restaurants) and the accompanying juice menu (for an additional charge) should not be missed. A different dining experience for most Utahns but on par with many great restaurants worldwide. We've recently moved back to Utah from Europe and will definitely be dining here regularly. Definitely 'the Noma of Utah'. Those who don't go don't know what they are missing!Special Features:
- Amazing Dining ExperienceForageForBirthdayDined on 5/3/2014Everything about our experience was amazing. Every single course was absolutely delicious. The entire staff was incredibly friendly and the service they provided was great. We had 13 courses (plus bread and a chocolate course) and it is impossible to pick a favorite. Each course was stunning. Thanks for the great dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TommDined on 5/2/2014We very much enjoyed our dinner for two: We praise you for your use of local herbs and produce, and the food, service, and ambience were excellent. The only drawback is the price - $ 300 plus for dinner is for us a one-time thing. We realize that with foraging and use of local produce, you spend a lot of time in the surrounding hills collecting. Still, your price can only be afforded once, in our case. But - Thanks for a wonderful evening. We will recommend Forage to friends who we think can afford and appreciate Forage.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Once and doneScottVIPDined on 4/24/2014How to be objective? I was looking forward to Forage, am totally open minded and the menu on line looks incredible. Creativity I give a 5, artistry I give a 5, presentation a 5, but I did not taste one dish that even wowed me. There was not one dish that I tasted that I would ever order again but I will blame that on my lack of taste. In fact in many of the dishes the taste nuances were totally lost, such as the potato and lovage and the duck egg with oats. I would have loved to say this was the best I have ever tasted but I can not, and I come from a place known for food! The wine pairings were mediocre at best and I never felt that any complemented the dishes. I know I am perhaps the only voice of dissent but I left disappointed.Special Features: