370 East 900 South
Salt Lake City, UT 84111Neighborhood:
Salt Lake City
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://foragerestaurant.com/
- Phone: (801) 708-7834
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:30pm - close
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Bowman Brown
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Forage
The food at Forage is connected to the land around us. We serve a single set tasting menu each night made up of ingredients from the wild as well as small farms and ranches. We attempt to serve the best ingredients we can find without losing the connection to their natural state. The dining experience is meant to represent the seasons and how they change with warmth, authenticity, excitement, and imagination.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Forage - Best Restaurants in Salt Lake City ›
Forage reviews from OpenTable diners
57 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelQuiet
fit for foodies (51)special occasion (51)romantic (34)neighborhood gem (19)notable wine list (13)hot spot (3)late-night find (2)good for groups (1)Show More
- Birthday giftDateNightDined on 11/21/2014Exceptional dinner evening. Unique, creative, intimate, sensual, romantic, and exquisite presentation. I will do this at least once each season.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Foodie's delight!FoodgloriousfoodDined on 11/6/2014I took my husband to Forage for his birthday. It is an expensive place compared with other dining options in SLC, but not expensive for the type of dining experience. The chef creates a set 12- to 16-course meal each day. We also opted to have the wine pairing with our meal, and we are glad we did! The wine really was paired well! Artistically plated, each course brought to the table is an adventure in flavor--a foodie-delight. We had so much fun tasting and discussing flavors and what we liked and what we didn't love. It was such an enjoyable evening. Service was excellent. Loved all the attention to detail and hospitality. A wonderful experience. I can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PerfectionElegantfood777Dined on 11/6/2014We had the most incredible experience at Forage! Everyone knew it was Doug's birthday and made the night so special for him! I was surprised to see "happy birthday, Doug" on the menu and the added dessert and coffee for him was such a special touch. You went above and beyond what was expected and I can't thank you enough.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AdventureCarr567VIPDined on 11/4/2014Spent my birthday at Forage! What a great present! The food and service were exceptional. The courses were creative and inspired by the area. Staff had a personal touch and chefs came put to serve several course and mingle. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Kudos to an artful chefarordameDined on 11/4/2014My wife and I went to Forage to celebrate our anniversary. It was a singular experience. The service was attentive without being obtrusive. The decor is modern and very simple—a wonderful palette to set off the real star of the show, the food. Each course was thoughtfully prepared and beautifully presented. A wonderfully orchestrated parade of flavors each setting the stage for the next, none overstaying its welcome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Michelin quality dining in SLCRockyMountainHighBallDined on 10/29/201415 course Michelin quality dining in SLC. Chef provides a sensory experience constantly challenging your preconceived expectations. Wine pairing recommended - perfect pairings delivered throughout meal. Non-alcoholic pairing option looked very interesting with juices and other drinks. Plan on 2.5 hours. Felt like being at a play while dining, watching their servers and chefs work in concert. Highly recommended and worth every penny.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- outstandingbillDined on 10/24/2014The chef has excelled himself. The various dishes that make up this dining experience are imaginative and flavorful. The restaurant team worked hard to make the evening flawless.Special Features:
- Unique Experience butdidn't deliverStroshooDined on 10/21/2014Service was great and idea was interesting, but the food did not hit the spotSpecial Features:
- Nothing short of amazing!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/17/2014Background: I'm a food snob and I'm very critical and hard to please. Just moved here from DC so I've been to mini bar, rouge 24, Volt, Komi, etc. Moving to Utah was rough for me but this place makes it easier. I'm used to spending $250(rouge) to $450(mini bar) per person. This state doesn't realize how lucky it is to have a culinary adventure like Forage at a reasonable price. If you like food and don't go to Forage at least once a year you're not taking advance of this gem. I don't have a single complaint which is rare!Special Features:
- Simply wonderful!UsefulDined on 10/11/2014We first visited Forage last year for our anniversary and loved it so much that we went back again this year, and we were not disappointed! The food was amazing - so fresh, creative, unusual and full of flavor. We had the wine pairings with our meal and each wine worked well with the food. The service is flawless as well. It's definitely the best dining experience in Utah!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Salt Lake's Best!blondedinerDined on 10/9/2014Forage is a must for all. The food is spectacular, unique, and quite brilliant. The experience is impressive. I leave this restaurant thinking I have just dined at the best of the best. Service, ambiance, quality, style, taste...Forage has it all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Stupids w/SmartphoneswallybobDined on 10/8/2014Wonderful slow paced tasting menu. Are my wife and I the last people who can enjoy a meal without picking up a phone? At Forage,we most certainly were.It reminds me that multitasking really means doing more things less well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great EveningOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/27/2014Flavorful, creative dinner in an intimate setting. I would definitely recommend Forage for a special occasion and for a true gourmet experience. The only complaint would have been with the wine pairing which missed the mark on a few occasions over the course of the meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional diningTrishDishDined on 9/26/2014Forage is an incredible culinary experience, especially for the small market of Salt Lake. We read previous reviews prior to dining and concur with all the positive comments about Forage being in a class by itself for a uniques and rewarding evening. Staff and service was exceptional as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cerebral cuisineOutoftownerVIPDined on 9/26/2014Quite an unusual restaurant. One menu, and you get what's on it. The dishes you get are riffs on what you see in the printed menu. For example the "duck egg" turned out to be a beignet with a duck filling. The dishes are all very thought out, both as a dish and as part of a culinary progression. This challenging goal was carried out very well, resulting in a journey with few dull points. The wine pairing is highly recommended. While the wines (and a beer) were not fancy, they paired very well with their respective dishes. The service was equally excellent, with timing and presentation of dishes impeccable. Overall, a very different place that will end with you being a different diner than when you came in.Special Features:
- SublimeOutOfTheNorthDined on 9/25/2014Dining at Forage was like stepping into another, epicurean world with a surprise of flavours and textures in every course. The service consists of a series of small, creative dishes that are carefully presented on locally-produced stonewear. Each one is visually beautiful and combines common (and, occasionally not-so-common) ingredients in surprisingly delicious ways. Even the one dish where I don't like two of the ingredients on their own was a tasty discovery of how flavour and texture can be combined in new ways. There is only one menu for the night so you simply need to arrive and put your faith in the hands of the chef. You will not be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Inventive deliciousnessAllegrovVIPDined on 9/20/2014This was our first visit to Forage: what a terrific find! Although not cheap, the restaurant certainly delivered to our utmost satisfaction. All dishes were superbly executed and well paired witha variety of homemade juices. Can't wait to go back. Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/17/2014Excellent service food was excellent atmosphere was quiet and comfortableSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An artistic masterpieceGrow2liveDined on 9/13/2014It had been my pleasure once before to experience food that rose to the level of fine art. The tasting at Forage was 14 vignettes each reaching that rarified level. As an example, Wild Crayfish. A lightly charred wooden box lined with cedar fronds with a delicate wisp of smoke holds perfectly grilled shelled crawfish tails on skewers. It was accompanied by a wooden trencher reminiscent of a bayou pirogue containing a few generous slurps of crawfish broth perfectly seasoned with and barely thickened with a medium brown roux. Each course carried a theme from the previous courses slowly abandoned to new thematic elements. If you understand art, and what and where ingredients come from, once in your life I hope you can have this experienceSpecial Features:
- Food heavenTheEnglishguyDined on 9/13/2014In my opinion this is one of the best restaurants around not just in Salt Lake or Utah. Bowman was one of Food and Wine's Best new chefs a few years ago and he has not dropped his standards. Menu is inventive, prepared perfectly and artistically presented. An evening, and it is a 3 hour experience, at Forage is dinner and entertainment rolled into one. If you like to cook you go home with a slew of new ideas.Special Features:
- Opened up a new world of foodjosephkellerDined on 9/3/2014For our anniversary I wanted to take my wife somewhere really special. I'm glad we went here. With our meal we enjoyed the juice pairings. Sorrel is one plant I've been eager to try and I was so pleased to have enjoyed it in a delicious drink they made. They also used sorrel in at least one other dish. It was just wonderful. Anyone interested in edible native plants will definitely enjoy a dining experience at Forage.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too saltySb001Dined on 8/29/2014We made a reservation for 8:30, our flight was arriving in Salt Lake City at 7. We got a call requesting that we arrive early, fortunately our flight was a bit early and we were able to arrive by 8. The restaurant was nice, the service couldn't have been better, but the food almost without fail was so salty it was just about inedible. When I said something to our server, her comment was that was something heard many times before. We have eaten at many Zagat rated restaurants and have never had good so salty. It was almost as if the chef was forcing the salt. We have eaten at Michelin star restaurants and greatly enjoy good food, to say Forage was a disappointment would be a gross understatement.Special Features:
- Awesome!!!PampapcDined on 8/20/2014Another wonderful special occasion meal! We thoroughly enjoyed every delicious morsel, and it was a really fabulous way to celebrate our 31st anniversary.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Salt Lake is Lucky to have ForagenicknameforthisreviewDined on 8/16/2014We really Love this restaurant. Eighteen charactersSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really Really goodDaveSDined on 8/16/2014The food and service in this place is wonderful. I have no idea how they come up with the combinations that they do but all 14 tastings were marvelous. I would highly recommend having the meal with the wine paring. The pairings were well chosen (even the surprise beer paring :-). The only thing I believe that they could do better is to give more explanatory names to the items on the menu, it would really help to be able to follow (and remember) the food items.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MagnifiqueCedricDined on 8/14/2014Forage is a pearl. A must-try for any foodie in the SLC area. Of the 15 courses on the menu I was expecting to enjoy about half or so. In reality, we loved every single one of them. And the menu worked incredibly well as a whole. Although most of these courses are truly just bites, overall we left full and fully satisfied! Ambience is simple and intimate. Service matches the ambience: discrete, efficient, and doesn't distract from the focal point: the food, which was phenomenal. The 3-glass wine flight was also enjoyable, probably just as good as wine pairing. A wonderful experience we will surely repeat. Our top 3 pick: black currant leaf and tomato; grilled beans with barley and borage; idaho sturgeon with cream and sorrel.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SublimeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/12/2014My boyfriend and I are both foodies and have had some stellar meals in the past, but this one easily ranked as one of the best of our lives. We will definitely be coming back, and have already recommended it to multiple friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic food, great wine, spendy2goodfor2fewmealsDined on 8/12/2014I'm not complaining at all, and I understand supply and demand. This was a great meal and the space was wonderful. It's an absolute special occasion event. Too bad id love to go more often. A++Special Features:
- wineloverfromclaremontVIPDined on 8/12/2014Overall the restaurant was superb, however there were two areas which could be improved. The timing of the dessert service was too slow and, unfortunately, the wines served as part of the pairings were not on a par with the quality of the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine dining for special occasionMadannieDined on 8/9/2014I took my husband for his birthday. They called me ahead of time for food likes/dislikes//allergies. My husband does not like eggs which is in one of their speciality dishes so they had a substitution for him (The duck egg was delicious so he really missed out). Service was very attentive. They explained all of the ingredients in the dishes & answered all of our questions. Their menu changes & is made fresh every night & includes very interesting & beautiful seasons including flower petals, etc. My husband is from NYC so this was a perfect choice to remind him of big city dining. We each had the wine pairings which added fun to the meal. Our evening and the food were perfect.Special Features:
- It's an experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/8/2014You are served a multi-course meal. They time the courses perfectly. It's a wonderful place for a romantic date.Special Features:
- FantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/7/2014Probably the most creative and unusual meal we have had. Everything was delicious as well as being beautifully presented. A real find,Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great mid week Night out!kiwifamilyDined on 8/6/2014We went to Forage mid week so it was not terribly busy, we were greeted by name and seated straight away. The staff where all wonderful and the food was just so taste-full and different. Each dish was explained in detail as it was placed on the table. We will definitely return. Thanks Heaps Guys.Special Features:
- UniqueTrueFoodies2014Dined on 8/2/2014A fun night. Super pricey but a must do! Portions were super tiny but 13 super fun courses.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Creative and true to its nameOnesteptwostepDined on 8/1/2014My boyfriend and I had been looking forward to dining at Forage, and it exceeded our expectation, which were high (as we had heard and read many wonderful reviews). Chef Bowman Brown is nothing short of inspired, creative and resourceful. I would definitely recommend it for a special occasion. We feel fortunate to have this gem in our neighborhood, and the relaxed atmosphere and staff left us confident that we could ride our bicycles next time without feeling too underdressed).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 790 reviews are from the Forage reviews archive.
- make Forage a semi-annual treatvivverDined on 7/25/2014Forage was a dining delight. Amazing creativity and presentation. And peeking through the kitchen window allows guests to see how the chefs are creating their masterpieces. Best bet: visit summer and winter to experience our local bounty.Special Features:
- WowWednesdayNightDelightDined on 7/23/2014So, obviously, this is more of a special occasion/specialty restaurant. However, my wife is a professional chef, so when we heard about Forage, it became a "bucket list" restaurant for her. IT WAS WORTH IT! The food was so meticulously prepared and presented... Just amazing. The only single grip I have is the flies. There were a significant amount of flies in the restaurant due to the door opening and closing (I assume because some of the courses were prepared outside over a fire pit). Having spent significant time in Afghanistan and Iraq, the flies were not quite as bothersome to me as they were for my pregnant wife. That aside, I HIGHLY recommend this restaurant for those who appreciate outstanding food!Special Features:
- IncrediblePaintingleopardDined on 7/17/2014I was looking for a swanky foodie restaurant that used fantastic local ingredients and I found it. It can compete with California wine country restaurants. I don't know why the place wasn't packed. I'd go again. $89 plus tip for a 14 course meal is a deal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- terryDined on 7/16/2014Amazing dining experience. It is difficult to describe the food, I don't think I could ever give the amazing meal the justice it deserves. Chef Brown is so creative. Loved how each course was served I felt like I was in Chef Browns home kitchen.Special Features:
- If you love foodskinnyminnyDined on 7/15/2014It's not the first time I've eaten at Forage and will so again. If you like quality degustation food in Salt Lake City then I'd recommend Forage. I took friends there that I'd say are a bit skeptical when it comes to spending $$$ on food and I was surprised to find they truly enjoyed the food and the matching wines. I will be back to eat there againSpecial Features: