1300 Robson Street
Vancouver, BC V6E 1C5Neighborhood:
NorthwestPrice: CAN$30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.foragevancouver.com/
- Phone: 6046611400x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday-Friday 630am-10am
Weekend Brunch: Sat/Sun 10am-2pm
Dinner from 5pm nightly
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Unspecified, Northwest
- Executive Chef: Chris Whittaker
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: For information regarding catering, please contact our Catering Manager, Allison Westbridge, at 604.661.1416.
- Private Party Contact: Allison Westbridge 6046611416x
A word from forage
Chef Whittaker’s vision features dishes that are unpretentious and innovatively prepared using products sourced from local and organic farmers, fishers and producers whenever possible. These combine for a menu featuring snacks such as “crackling & popcorn”; a variety of creative dishes from 'sea', 'land' and 'soil', to nosh on together or enjoy solo as a main; and desserts for a sweet (and a bit savoury) finish.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerNorthwest
forage - Best Restaurants in West End ›
forage reviews from OpenTable diners
215 reviews since July 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (178)neighborhood gem (109)special occasion (79)good for groups (57)great for brunch (50)romantic (45)hot spot (41)notable wine list (38)great for lunch (22)vibrant bar scene (19)late-night find (15)kid-friendly (12)great for outdoor dining (10)scenic view (1)Show More
- creative food but noisygolfkatVIPDined on 10/27/2014Chef really tries to be creative, some are really good, some fall short on taste. But the places is too noisy, with tables too close to each other. No privacy , and certainly difficult for normal conversation. Prefer quieter place, meals that are more complementary to each other.Special Features:
- Excellent food and ambiance.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/25/2014Great ambiance. Love eating at the counter and the idea of sharing plate Like tapas. Food well cooked. Definitively I will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingTdecgoodDined on 10/23/2014Thoroughly enjoyed the menu choices. We ate family style and experienced a wide range of local fare. Great presentation. Charming waitressSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just excellentOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/23/2014The staff were all great and they did a nice job of accomodating my wife and daughter's vegan needs. Mushroom dish should not be missed. The special take on passta carbonara was to die for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious pricey foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/22/2014Food was perfect in flavour and texture. Pricey though for what it was, but kinda think that might be the norm for this part of Vancouver.Special Features:
- Great local menuTmbgDined on 10/20/2014The waiter introduced the menu well, explaining how to mix and match the items. We were assured it wasn't tapas, but you might want to choose your selection with this in mind. If was all, without exception, delicious. Larger than European tapas for sure, but you'll probably need more then on or two...!Special Features:
- Outstanding serviceJakeskitchenDined on 10/19/2014Great food, reasonable mark up on wine and outstanding service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dinner at forageMaryVIPDined on 10/18/2014We had some out of town guests and took them here - great choice. It's a tapas kind of thing - you order dishes and then share them. They come out one at a time. The mushrooms were amazing, as was the grilled kale salad and the albacore tuna. The waiter was helpful, although the place was really busy we got our food in a very timely manner. The only thing we regretted ordering was the salmon collars... the pickled veg were kind of sparse and IMO didn't complement the taste of the salmon very well. ANd they're hard to eat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Search No More! The Earth's BountyMWHGoshawkDined on 10/18/2014Forager's never found so many treasures of the earth in one place. This was an amazing find for a foodie let alone a forager. Smart modern decor and warm inviting buzz. The food was amazing from small plate to small plate. Seasonal twists on modern recipes bringing out the best of ingredients and marrying flavors with herbs and spices. The eco-friendly Albacore with yellow squash was exceptional. Salmon collar with fennel delectable. Nice bio and Canadian wines by the glass. Friendly and informative service. The food beyond expectation. Wonderful value for money.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great... buteat4thewinDined on 10/11/2014The service was fantastic. My wife and I loved the fact that everything came from local places. The beer menu was brilliant (seriously, that Black Plague has ruined other Stouts for me). The food was tasty, but my only complaint was that I left hungry. We had 3 courses, plus oysters, and I ha to go find a hotdog stand later on in the night. After spending $140, that was my only disappointment.Special Features:
- the best meal of 2014goodloveDined on 10/9/2014The service, atmosphere and food were all excellent. I loved hearing about how each dish was sourced and prepared. I asked lots of questions and out server was happy to answer them. To be clear, I love that this restaurant sources their food and drink locally. However, even if where your food comes from doesn't cross your mind on a regular basis, you'll still be impressed by the chefs creations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatgstarrDined on 10/4/2014Really enjoyed our brunch. Would go back for sure.Special Features:
- Love ForageMissk8Dined on 10/1/2014We had a lovely dinner there this week. Forage is a dependable, high quality establishment with good staff. We always feel welcome there, the staff is friendly and professional, but not stuffy. The food is fantastic. We shared three dishes plus a small cheese plate for dessert, all with a bottle of wine, and found the cost very reasonable. The food is creative and has a modern flair without being weird, or sparse. Just go, you wont' be disappointed!Special Features:
- Great Food and ServicevanvegDined on 9/30/2014I am a vegetarian and so there were not too many choices for me as I also try to avoid cheese. The menu is always fresh however so anything can be substituted. I went for the Kale Salad and the corn bread with out the cheese topping and they were both amazing. I am not really a huge fan of Kale, but decided to try it and glad I did. My co diners got the Elk and an order of Lamb and said they were amazing, especially the lamb. The service was extremely friendly and attentive. No complaints at all from any of us.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/28/2014Fresh, delicious, locally sourced food, attentive service...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experience :)grateful4foodDined on 9/27/2014We went for brunch for my dad's birthday, and the food was so fresh and flavorful. My dad loves chowder, and he quite enjoyed the famous seafood chowder. Our server made the meal even better, being engaging and enthusiastic, and providing an excellent recommendation when I didn't know what to order. Thanks for the great food! We'll be back soon :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brilliant concept!PhillinUKDined on 9/26/2014As visitors from UK we were looking for "something different". This is exciting, innovating and surprising food (salmon collars - superb!) served in a vibrant atmosphere with very friendly and knowledgable staff. Thoroughly recommended for a stand-out food experience. Seafood Chowder absolutely the best ever - and we have tasted many! Must try "Brutus"! - awesome cocktails!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/26/2014Creative, well priced, non pretentious foodie-food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I enjoyed lots!!UetanDined on 9/26/2014I love the simple but good foods which I can enjoy the ingredients themselves. I really enjoined all the dish!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent StaffSEAdinnerVIPDined on 9/26/2014Matthew the maitre d made us feel so welcome. The excellent service on top of great food will bring us back.Special Features:
- Wonderful restaurantFltravelerDined on 9/25/2014Forage is a great restaurant for grazing through the menu. Most dishes are easily enough for two people. Even my desert was more than enough for two people. Fresh ingredients, great service and everyone was friendly and didn't mind my asking so many questions about where the food was sourced or how it was prepared. Not a cheap place, so would consider it a once or twice a year dinner out. We were visiting Vancouver for three days and glad we made a reservation and ate at this restaurant.Special Features:
- Top notchKwdinerVIPDined on 9/25/2014Unusual food designed for sharing. Knowledgeable servers. Not for timid diners who want the mundaneSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So soDMtravellerDined on 9/20/2014The place looks nice and open, although our table was small considering that there were 3 of us and the food comes out as soon as it is prepared. It (the table) soon became very crowded and too small to be comfortable. We ordered mushrooms with goat cheese, which was probably the better of all dishes we had. We also ordered beet salad, tomato salad, charcuterie, duck croquette, and seared tuna. The last dish was by far one of the stranger ones: a nice piece of tuna that was ruined by the cocoa. We felt that Forage cares more about being different than it does about the food. All dishes were very salty, too. The ambiance is nice and it's probably not a bad place for a drink at the massive bar before dining somewhere else.
- Wonderful dining experiencenightoutwithfriendsDined on 9/20/2014We thoroughly enjoyed our first (but definitely not our last!) visit to Forage. The food was inspiring in it's elegant simplicity and beautiful presentation, and absolutely mouthwatering. Our service was excellent and personable and contributed to a wonderful evening out. We couldn't pick a favourite dish, as they were all amazing. As a dessert, the Lemon Verbena Neufchatel cheese puff was truly outstanding. We're looking forward to our next visit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It is decentOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 9/13/2014Forage is interesting. Three of the dishes we got were very good (Albacore Tuna, Elk Striploin, and the Tomato Risotto). One dish was very bad, not one of the three of us enjoyed it, the salmon collars. Not sure what the chef was thinking there. Surprisingly the kale chips were also very bad. Not flavour to them. Simply, dried Kale chips. No salt, no nothing. I rather eat bark than kale with no flavour. Service was exceptional. Really stand out.
- Great food, not intimateJulieVIPDined on 9/12/2014The food was amazing. Unique dishes with locally sourced ingredients. Not an intimate spot though--the tables are close together and it's quite loud with all the people talking about themselves. If you don't mind that, or can go on an off night, we would definitely recommend it for the food.Special Features:
- DelightfulBethBVIPDined on 9/12/2014We stumbled upon Forage a year ago and made reservations to return the minute we had plans to come back to Vancouver. It's a local, fresh, seasonal menu that allows you to try things you normally may not. The food is delicious and the dishes are creative. Every dish served is explained to you as it's delivered. We have only ever sat at the bar because it allows you to see everything going on and meet knew people. Also, the bartenders are attentive and just wonderful in explaining the menu and making suggestions. One of my most favorite restaurants.Special Features:
- Not that ImpressivegerbDined on 9/11/2014Tables extremely close together. With noisy room and large table I was unable to hear the conversation from across the other side. Our server was attentive and well versed with the menu. The 5 oz glass of wine is a little on the chincy side. Nice if there was a 9 oz option. My wife had to visit the washroom the next day for an unscheduled and unplanned occasion if you know what I mean and said it was a result of our dinner out the night before. Sorry, but won't be back.Special Features:
- Very goodbthepalmDined on 9/7/2014Excellent service from Sebastian, interesting and tasty food options. Kale salad best I've ever had!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/6/2014Food good, healthy fare. Good service. Salads imaginative.Special Features:
- A Nice FindHaveHopeDined on 9/5/2014My friend and I were staying in a hotel on Robson and came across forage while out on a walk. We checked the menu posted outside and decided to give it a try. We made a reservation for dinner and were not disappointed. The food and service was great! We enjoyed it enough to return for breakfast the next morning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Forage always deliversCammiDined on 9/4/2014This was our third visit to forage, and we were not disappointed (except for the fact that they had no pork belly)! The food was outstanding, so tasty and unique, and the servings were perfect in size and quantity. The server was attentive and not pushy. We will definitely be back!Special Features:
- sustainabledavidVIPDined on 9/3/2014The restaurant stresses sustainability, and uses only locally sourced materials -- for example, instead of an olive, my wife's martini was garnished with a fiddle-head fern, and, yes, the vodka was locally brewed. I had a Sazerac, with similar locally-brewed spirits. We split the octopus appetizer, which came with toasted sourdough bits and a sauce which tasted mild but had a delayed bite. For dinner, we shared the elk and the halibut entrees. The elk was served in a walnut mole sauce with potatoes, squash, and greens. The halibut was served over gnocchi with mushrooms and bacon. All good. The prices do not reflect the small portion sizes -- perhaps the cost of sustainability. Overall, the experience was average to better-than-average.
- Loved it!GinnyDined on 8/31/2014Wonderful dining experience from beginning to end. Visiting from Portland Oregon, where we are spoiled by a vibrant and diverse food culture, we were very happy to have discovered Forage in Vancouver. We will definitely eat here on our next visit.Special Features:
- Good experience overallvsbyVIPDined on 8/31/2014Food was very good, only bit salty. Seafood bouillabaisse and zucchini flour tempura was the highlight.Special Features:
- Cheerful with interesting foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/31/2014We were there for brunch and the menu offered variations on the usual themes. My spiced lentils and merguez sausage with eggs hit the spot. The coffee was excellent. Service was brisk but welcoming. The only downside was that it was very noisy - but it was cheerful noise.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- local ingredients in top formAChiangDined on 8/30/2014Loved the idea that the menu changes in accordance with the availability of the freshest ingredients. Food was delectable, well prepared, and throughtful. Service was friendly. Would come again.Special Features:
- I didn't know what to expect!HungryEatsVIPDined on 8/27/2014A very exquisite menu with some uniquely crafted food. The elk dish was delicious! Definitely returning.Special Features:
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/25/2014I've heard a buzz about this new neighborhood restaurant and wanted to try it. The food was good, except one of our dishes. We order halibut and it was WAY OVERCOOKED. Not very appealing for fish. The manager made it right, so that was redeemable. The table they sat us at was the worst table in the restaurant. Its for 2 people in the most high traffic part of the restaurant. We were constantly bumped by the busy wait staff. We had a terrible server. She completely ignored us and missed many opportunities for re-fills on beers we wanted. The wait time in between our salad and entrees was pretty atrocious too. Might not have seemed so long, if she pay enough attention on keeping the drinks following. Overall I would not recommend.
- Great food, crowded spaceDeanDined on 8/25/2014The food and the variety were very good. The space is nice but the tables are so close together that I found it uncomfortable once another couple was seated next to us. The pricing was good and the idea of sharing plates is great. Our waiter was wonderful.Special Features: