1300 Robson Street
Vancouver, BC V6E 1C5Neighborhood:
NorthwestPrice: CAN$30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.foragevancouver.com/
- Phone: 6046611400x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday-Friday 630am-10am
Weekend Brunch: Sat/Sun 10am-2pm
Dinner from 5pm nightly
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Unspecified, Northwest
- Executive Chef: Chris Whittaker
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: For information regarding catering, please contact our Catering Manager, Allison Westbridge, at 604.661.1416.
- Private Party Contact: Allison Westbridge 6046611416x
A word from forage
Chef Whittaker’s vision features dishes that are unpretentious and innovatively prepared using products sourced from local and organic farmers, fishers and producers whenever possible. These combine for a menu featuring snacks such as “crackling & popcorn”; a variety of creative dishes from 'sea', 'land' and 'soil', to nosh on together or enjoy solo as a main; and desserts for a sweet (and a bit savoury) finish.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNorthwest
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
forage - Best Restaurants in West End ›
forage reviews from OpenTable diners
226 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (177)neighborhood gem (104)special occasion (79)great for brunch (56)good for groups (47)romantic (44)notable wine list (40)hot spot (35)great for lunch (21)great for outdoor dining (14)vibrant bar scene (13)late-night find (12)kid-friendly (10)scenic view (1)Show More
- I didn't know what to expect!HungryEatsDined on 8/27/2014A very exquisite menu with some uniquely crafted food. The elk dish was delicious! Definitely returning.Special Features:
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/25/2014I've heard a buzz about this new neighborhood restaurant and wanted to try it. The food was good, except one of our dishes. We order halibut and it was WAY OVERCOOKED. Not very appealing for fish. The manager made it right, so that was redeemable. The table they sat us at was the worst table in the restaurant. Its for 2 people in the most high traffic part of the restaurant. We were constantly bumped by the busy wait staff. We had a terrible server. She completely ignored us and missed many opportunities for re-fills on beers we wanted. The wait time in between our salad and entrees was pretty atrocious too. Might not have seemed so long, if she pay enough attention on keeping the drinks following. Overall I would not recommend.
- Great food, crowded spaceOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/25/2014The food and the variety were very good. The space is nice but the tables are so close together that I found it uncomfortable once another couple was seated next to us. The pricing was good and the idea of sharing plates is great. Our waiter was wonderful.Special Features:
- Great unique food with real flairPamieDined on 8/24/2014I would not normally pick this restaurant as many of the table are too close together for my taste. It was a special occasion and after turning down a couple of tables they did move us to a better location. Very accommodating. The food is worth coming for with unique items that just are not available anywhere else that I have been. Roasted corn bread with honey was bursting with corn, the chicken liver parfait with pickled walnuts and IPA mustard was light and creamy. We tried the grilled kale salad with Agassiz hazelnuts and blue cheese honey dressing and could not get enough of it. The wine menu carries lots of BC wines. The server was knowledgeable about the food and the wine. They encourage you to share dishes.Special Features:
- Amazing tasty proper food!1984etDined on 8/22/2014Amazing. Loved all the dishes we had, in particular the kale salad - perfect balance of flavours - and the halibut which was perfect. Love the small plate concept and these really were big enough to share between two so ordering 4 really is enough to be full at the end of the meal. Staff were very knowledgable and polite and friendly, need to go back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/22/2014Good tasty food with nice presentations. Nice neighborhoodSpecial Features:
- Lovely eveningYummyVIPDined on 8/21/2014Setting was comfortable, food was delicious and beautifully presented, and service very good. This sharing concept is getting more popular. The oysters and seafood chowder were excellent. Salads wonderful. The pasta main course however was slightly too salty. And the pork belly crackling was a bit difficult to saw through even with a steak knife. Overall I would say the food was very very good but not outstanding. However, we loved our chocolate creme brulée. That, we will rush back for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good breakfastfrozenyegdinerDined on 8/21/2014I took my family here for breakfast. Between the four of us, we shared a french toast, a pair of scones, a pork cutlet sandwich, a goat cheese omelet, and an eggs benny. Everything was well-made and beautifully put together. It is clear that someone put some thought into each dish as a whole. The real highlights were the scones with honey butter and the house-made preserves. The preserves in particular really made the french toast shine. There is opportunity for improvement in the service speed. It took about 10 minutes to be served after being seated and 30 minutes for food to arrive once ordered. Fortunately, it was worth the wait. A reservation is absolutely required. This place is popular.Special Features:
- Outstanding menu and servicenzeggieDined on 8/19/2014Delicious! My husband and I will definitely return to Fable. The service is excellent; an ideal balance of professional and informal. Staff are knowledgeable, friendly, attentive. The plates are designed for sharing which I like for a date night. The corn bread is crazy-good! The halibut was perfectly perpared. We also enjoyed our kale salad and farro risotto. We planned to have the chocolate dessert but decided to wait until next time. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Great addition to the west endWdeeDined on 8/16/2014Had a breakfast and a dinner at Forage on a recent visit to Vancouver. Liked the food a lot as well as their approach to what they do. Highly recommend Forage.Special Features:
- OutstandingjfrazureVIPDined on 8/15/2014Visiting from Dallas and my wife and I eat higher end meals often.....the service, food, the entire package was great top to bottom. Quite impressive on all levels.Special Features:
- YummymrespressoDined on 8/14/2014Went for a pre-birthday dinner. Food and service were top-notch. Only issue was a very loud woman two tables away. Still, we’d go back in a second. I can't wait to re-order the chocolate crème brulée – perhaps the best chocolate dessert I've ever had.
- Great food and serviceMarkDined on 8/13/2014My wife and I went here while visiting Vancouver. The service was excellent and the food was even better. Highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Values and Great FoodSocialfoodieDined on 8/13/2014Forage stays true to locally sourced, organic, veg-friendly and is absolutely delicious. Salads are outstanding and salmon collar moist and flavourful. The restaurant filled up quickly on a week day so best reserve. It became very noisy and more difficult to talk into the evening. I will go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very interesting tasty foodislandgirl62Dined on 8/13/2014Something different and very good. 4 of us shared many plates. Really injoyed all but most notable were the mushrooms, the halibut and gnocchi. Pace of service was great. We ordered 7 plates and they came out slowly allowing us to sip wine between each.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chef on vacation?IntheknowDined on 8/11/2014We love this restaurant and have been many times. Our latest visit (a Monday) delivered the same awesome service from the same staff. Also, because I am on a very restrictive diet for medical reasons, the server worked with me to assemble a special meal for me. The kitchen obliged and, thank you, I had a delicious meal. My husband's meal -pasta carbonara with Gelderman Pork (a favoured local supplier) was very salty, and he couldn't finish it. Given that this was a Monday night (chef's night off?) and the fact that there are many tourists in town, perhaps his meal was prepared by a junior? Regardless, staff handled everything very well and we will return soon. Definitely worth a visit, but maybe not on Mondays. A favourite spot for us.Special Features:
- LoudcjgaVIPDined on 8/11/2014Had dinner and found it so loud it made it had to hear a word the person next to you is saying. We had trouble getting our water glasses filled despite their charging for tap water. Some courses were fairly good but there seems a tendency to over cook and it is all a bit to precious. We will not be returning
- Best BrunchCarloDined on 8/10/2014Been to Forage more than half dozen times, always outstanding. This time, I had the mushroom omelette. A more delicious omelette I cannot imagine. The coffee is excellent. Their homemade rye bread toasted is amazing, as are their jams also made inhouse. The entire staff and chef/owner are to be commended. There are so few places that really live up to what you hope they will be like. After they opened, and I had read what the owner's goals are, on my first visit I knew that he was successful in attaining those goals. The prices are surprisingly more than reasonable. Same as one would pay at most places for a good to mediocre meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite dinner in Vancouver.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/8/2014Wine maker and foodie from Sonoma County, California enjoyed the entire meal. Did not have a bad course. Of note, the halibut, elk, mushrooms, to mention only several. Had several nice wines by the glass. All from Okanagan (sp?). Had a beautiful pinot. Jonathan was server, and he was awesome. Really great experience. One of my most fun dinners of the year. No surprise- it seems to be a popular choice. Memorable. Would go back and repeat in a heartbeat.Special Features:
- One Night in VancouverPaulyHDined on 8/7/2014Wow, we had one night in Vancouver, and we elected to have dinner at Forage. What a stroke of genius on our part. Their food was great (tapas style) and the service was even better. The waiter was great at explaining how things work, and he provided some guidance on what to orger. Would I go BACK. Most definitely. I would recommend to anyone.Special Features:
- True to its nameOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/6/2014Excellent local wines and beers; servers were very knowledgeable and patient. Ate outside at a communal table which was very pleasant. Excellent chef; would eat there again Ina heart beat.Special Features:
- Unique food experienceCalgary4togoDined on 8/6/2014Had dinner and breakfast. For dinner, there are unique, local dishes - tapas style. So, a larger group of 3 or more is best and you share the dishes. But the potions are large enough that you can pick one dish as individual meal. The prices (as with the food) were excellent. The elk and halibut were our favourite. Breakfast was also well done. but if you add sides the price can get a bit higher. Also, the breakfast took longer to come, so partake on days that you have time for a leisurely meal.Special Features:
- Wonderful and memorablemariabDined on 8/5/2014Had a fabulous dinner. The service was exceptional and everyone went out of their way to make our evening special. The family style menu offerings were interesting and delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best in the West EndDjk802VIPDined on 8/3/2014Set in a sea of tiny Sushi bars and crowded Korean restaurants Forage is a lighthouse of unique locally sourced dining. Small portions meant to be shared offer a chance to sample the carefully prepared and finely crafted menu. The bottom line: forage is a must try when dining in Vancouver's West End area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good!vaniartisticDined on 8/3/2014It happened that we watch the Pride Parade from the restaurant and we had a way better experience than rather being standing outside. Great ambience, delicious and healthy food. Very good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always excellentyummersDined on 8/3/2014This place is always top notch. Great food, great service, nice ambiance. I've been a number of times and will continue to go there. The food is so fresh and delicious.Special Features:
- GracieGracieVIPDined on 8/2/2014We went with our two teenage daughters. Our waiter was fantastic, the perfect combination of friendly and professional. Food was great and the cornbread was amazing.Special Features:
- Friends of the local farmer.TworiverstimDined on 8/2/2014Truly a strong local vibe. It is always a pleasure to dine at an establishment that supports local farmers and local business. Everything is top notch.Special Features:
- Great evening!TemboDined on 8/1/2014What a great time we had at Forage! The service was faultless, the menu was very interesting and the food we had was excellent! Yes, it was noisy, but it was made by a happy bunch of diners. Fully recommend this place and commend the Chef for his ideas.Special Features:
- Great Service & Phenomenal Food!QualityoverQuantityDined on 8/1/2014Forage is most definitely a neighborhood gem. The servers are knowledgeable, kind and very attentive. We ordered the beet salad with goat cheese and a bunch of greens I had never eaten before and was thoroughly impressed. I have never had a salad with flavors that were so well balanced...and it was only a salad! We also ordered the halibut cakes and the pork jowl fettuccine and loved every single bite. The food was phenomenal and everything was very well put together. There were so many other dishes on the menu that looked amazing and it's a must to come back and try them all. These people know what they're doing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/31/2014Great spot featuring all local or house made items. Tasty combinations!Special Features:
- splendidanneDined on 7/31/2014A must visit! Fresh food, great wine. The coffee and desserts are out of this world! You WILL NOT be disappointed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best foodOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/30/2014We enjoyed our dinner at forage. I thought it was the best dinner we experienced during our six day visit in Vancouver. I loved the idea of sampling the dishes. I thought each dish was unique and creative. We grow all of our vegetables, so I knew all of their food was very fresh. It was a wonderful evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Second visit!smwsmwDined on 7/29/2014We loved the first time that we decided to go back with some friends. As the menu changes weekly with some specials it's nice to see the variation. However this time the food was a bit on the salty side, but other than that was good! The bread with spicy honey is our favorite as well as the beet salad. We went on a Tuesday and they had a "Meat-Draw", where one lucky guest also won the lucky draw for a meat package! (Happens Sun-Wed i think). Still a great neighborhood restaurant, and will def visit again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Interesting and delicious!YukonfoodieDined on 7/26/2014We came here after a day of hiking (and we ran late for our reservation). The staff were super friendly and very knowledgeable about the menu. Local food. We ordered 2 appetizers and 2 entrees. The waiter suggested sharing everything - which was a great idea. They were small plates packed with flowers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Locally sourced producefoodiewomanDined on 7/25/2014The waitress was extremely knowledgable and enthusiastic about the food. She obviously loves the food she is serving and that showed. She pointed out the sharing platters and those that were more suitable if we wanted to eat a regular main to ourselves. We plumped for a game burger to share. The burger comprised elk, bison and venison and was delicious topped with cheese and crispy bacon. The fries were plentiful. We had a kale salad on the side. To follow we had artisan cheeses to share. Wine was a local pinot noir from Vancouver Island and absolutely delicious.Special Features:
- didn't disappointcheese4lifeDined on 7/24/2014We value high quality ingredients and do a lot of cooking from scratch at home so it's not very often we find a place that is in line with our food philosophy. You can trust Forage to nourish you and excite your palate, while addressing your every need with excellent service. Highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Innovative healthy fareVancouverFoodieDined on 7/22/2014Forage is a restaurant that must be tried by foodies seeking innovative healthy fare using local sustainable ingredients. Emphasis on innovative: creative combinations of ingredients and methods of preparation. An example is their kale salad, with the kale slightly charbroiled before mixing with dressing and bits of dried fruits. A mushroom medley knocks your culinary socks off. We have been there three times and have been delighted, though on most recent visit a few of the dishes were slightly off their mark. Tapas albeit generous-sized portions meant for sharing, so plan on ordering several so you can sample the creative genius of Forage's chef, who reportedly raises many of the ingredients on his farm.Special Features:
- Original and ScrumptiouswillbebackDined on 7/21/2014Simple, easy, elegant ambiance. Very knowledgeable, friendly and accommodating staff. Unique dishes made with locally grown/made ingredients; each one surprisingly more delectable than the last, made to share, enjoy and revel in together. Great idea with the chef's "meat draw". Music could be a little quieter but great choice in tracks.Special Features:
- DeliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/20/2014The fish soup was excellent/the best I've had in a very long timeSpecial Features: