801 Pleasant Drive
Rockville, MD 20850Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.fontinagrille.com/
- Phone: 301-947-5400
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Sunday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Lunch: Daily: 11:30am - 5:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Full Bar, Takeout
A word from Fontina Grille
Fontina Grille, in the King Farm, offers the best of the best when it comes to oven-fired pizzas, fresh fish, gourmet pastas, bountiful salads and sandwiches. The granite bar divides two dining areas. To the left, a full service carry out counter offering everything from pizza and pasta, to ribeye steak and Lavazza coffee and cappuccino. To the right, the casual but elegant dining area can seat about 125 people, with a back area for semi-private parties and corporate events. Fontina Grille also offers private and corporate catering, with a variety of options to suit any budget.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
Fontina Grille - Best Restaurants in Rockville ›
Fontina Grille reviews from OpenTable diners
52 reviews since May 27, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (33)good for groups (18)kid-friendly (17)great for lunch (15)special occasion (13)great for outdoor dining (10)fit for foodies (7)romantic (7)vibrant bar scene (7)late-night find (5)hot spot (5)notable wine list (3)great for brunch (3)Show More
- Pasta dishes were disappointing!SpanishVisitorsVIPDined on 9/13/2014The restaurant and service was excellent. First course was great however we were disappointed with the entrees (shrimp scampi and calamari siciliana)- these were linguini dishes served with ALOT of broth at the bottom of the plate and limited taste! Just disappointing since the rest of the dinner was great! Highly doubt I would order pasta (if we ever go back). Good wine list though.Special Features:
- Friends go-to spot for LunchtheatergeekDined on 9/5/2014My friends and I enjoy going to the Fontina Grille for lunch. Convenient location in King Farm. Their buffet is prefect - something for everyone, mussells, pizza, ravioli, meatballs etc. The price is fair and the atmosphere is good. Don't usually drink with lunch, however they have a full bar.Special Features:
- Overcooked salmonRWoodBVIPDined on 8/11/2014The salmon entree was a big disappointment as it was not cooked to medium as requested. It was solid, rather than flaky. The bed of spinach was soggy and lacked proper seasoning. The list of wines by the glass was well chosen.
- Great placeIcecreammanDined on 8/5/2014Nice selection with good food. Service is always good. Prices are reasonable. What else could you want?Special Features:
- Job celebratinSewinggirlDined on 7/19/2014We took our daughter there to celebrate her first career job. I had the shrimp Rissotto,my husband had the chicken Valdostano & daughter had shrimp fra diablo. The Rissotto had lots of shrimp and fresh vegetables. The Chicken dish with Fontina cheese & prosciutto & wine was thoroughly enjoyed by my husband who went out of the box to order this. He always orders chicken Parmesiano. Our daughter said her shrimp fra diablo was a little to spicy. Lauren our server did and excellent job. We have been to this restaurant for New Years celebration. And other occasions and will return again.Special Features:
- Consistently DeliciouspickyDined on 7/18/2014Great food at reasonable prices. Been at least 50 times and each time all diners were very happy with the food. Only complaints are the tables are small and they get easily crowded, and it gets really noisy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JLK007Dined on 7/16/2014We enjoy this restaurant, although the noise level is extremely high. I don't think that the waitress was particularly attentive though. I did return my meal to be heated more. The restaurant is decorated nicely and is always well attended in spite of the above report. We do eat here often as it is near my apt.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gem of a restaurant.LaurieMDined on 7/12/2014My husband and I recently returned to Fontina Grill after several years. It has changed owners three times. We were seated right away and ordered a roasted romaine salad to share, white pizza and chicken with spaghetti dish. Warm bread with oil was provided, a welcome change from the prevailing custom of no bread. It was very good. The salad was very tasty, accompanied with a house made dressing. Our entrees were excellent. The chicken was made perfectly, tender and flavorful. We didn't have room for dessert, but we intend to return soon. Service was excellent, attentive and prompt.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful RestaurantSharkzDined on 6/26/2014I have been here several times with my husband and daughter for dinner and on other occasions for lunch with friends. I have always had a great experience. The food is excellent and reasonably priced and the service is excellent. A group of us have sat there for several hours during lunch and have always been treated well. In at least one other restaurant we were made to feel uncomfortable while we sat and talked.Special Features:
- Good food, excellent serviceDaveCDined on 6/15/2014Fontina Grille in the King Farm area is worthy of a casual dining visit. The service was excellent, with prompt seating and careful table service. The food was good, but not outstanding. It's a good place for lunch too.Special Features:
- Father's DaybrockDined on 6/15/2014Found this place on open table for Father's Day, as dad likes pasta/bread dishes. Hidden in the middle of King Farm (I thought it was all residential). Started off with a generous portion of the wild mushroom appetizer, which was pretty good, and warm bread. For entrees I ordered the veal picatta, mom the spinach rollentini, and dad got grilled salmon. My picatta was a tad too lemony for my taste. Mom enjoyed the rollentini, as did father his salmon. Service was quick and dishes came out promptly. May try to come for a casual sit down lunch in the future to try their pizza and sandwiches.Special Features:
- Good, efficient diningSteveVIPDined on 6/14/2014We chose this restaurant because it was close to family and we needed a quick dinner on a Saturday evening. At 8:30, the restaurant was only about a quarter full, mostly locals and several families. Service, menu and preparation were all good. We were in and out in about 45 minutes, which was fine for us. I am sure you could linger and turn this into a romantic spot but that wasn't what we were looking for this particular evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Seems to be decliningPSBDCVIPDined on 6/5/2014I have eaten at Fontina Grill over 20 times, and some of the meals have been really good. I have noticed recently that I am enjoying my meals less and that recipes that I used to like are either changing or disappearing from the menu. Hopefully, all of this is temporary.Special Features:
- Romantic & calmRomanceDined on 6/3/2014A nice quiet and romantic restaurant that was very reasonably priced. I also appreciated their cloth tablecloths and that there was no overhead music.Special Features:
- Family GatheringsERMRDined on 6/1/2014For the past several years we have held family gatherings at Fontina Grill and have found that they are always happy to make any accommodations we require.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pickyeaterDined on 5/31/2014We were well treated, though our waiter's inexperience showed. Food was good though not as good as our last experience. My glass of wine was excellent. I like that Fontina can and will accommodate my gluten-free needs. That alone will get my husband and me back. Hope I can order pizza, too.Special Features:
- The following 272 reviews are from the Fontina Grille reviews archive.
- mothers dayscoperDined on 5/11/2014we made a reservation for 6 at 7pm mothers day, we were seated at 7 30, a business assoc was at the bar and is a regular at Fontina. He told the manager to give us the VIP. Maybe because it was mothers day and they were busy but after we were seated and got 1 basket of bread for 6 it was like our waiter disappeared. I had to stop the manager and ask to order the appetizers, the main course very slow to come out. Overall the food was ok, not as good as Mama Lucia's at Falls Grove. That is our go to place for the family so I kinda compare it to their service and food. By the time we got our check the place was empty and the banged a 20% grat on the check, lol. oh well all for MamaSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great mother's day outingoccasionaldinerDined on 5/11/2014Our family find this neighborhood easy and convenient for the two members who are wheel chair bound at the moment easy access and friendly staff and owners.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great neighborhood restaurantVickiDined on 5/10/2014always delicious and consistent. great atmosphere and service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- was goodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/8/2014Service was good. I got the buffet. The meatballs were lukewarm and the fruit salad was below OK. Just a few types of fruit.Special Features:
- good experieceDonaldVIPDined on 4/23/2014I like this place. A nice neighborhood restaurant and feel to it. There wine list is ok and prices very reasonable. The flavor of their red sauce is very good and the prices and quality of their preparation are above average. I look forward to my visits here and if you have not tried it, you should. My only fault is the wait service is inconsistent and last evening our waiter while "ok", did not yield anything positive to the experience. He was more interested in everything around us...than us.Special Features:
- Great Spot for Get TogethersRoamingDinerDined on 4/20/2014We dined at Fontina Grille on a busy Thursday evening and returned for Sunday brunch. The place is popular for dinner and deserves more attention for its Sunday brunch. It has a nice mixed menu of brunch items (e.g., Crabmeat Benedict, steak and eggs, and omelettes) plus its regular lunch menu. Pizza is delicate thin crust, delicious, and some novel toppings, like "Philly Cheesesteak." Brunch even offers a "breakfast pizza," with scrambled eggs, ham, and mozzerella. Appetizers are very good -- try the mussels. Salads came with a generous helping of the fish we ordered. Rockfish salad has delicately crusted pistachios. The salmon is simply grilled. We have yet to find a dish we did not enjoy. And the service was warm and inviting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- okayalexDined on 4/12/2014The plates are a little big. So if you look for size over quantity this is your place. It's decent Italian eating.definitely good for cravings .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Okay Visitdragonfly953Dined on 4/6/2014We've been to Fontina Grille before and their food is great. But this time when we went, I order the pizza siciliana and the pizza was really salty. I'm not sure if that's the way it is or not so I didn't really complain.Special Features:
- Our favorite Italian in MarylandBeatwellDined on 4/4/2014been eating out at italian restaurants for forever -- a native New Yorker, I've had my choice. and experienced many. in the five years living in Montgomery county we've tried many and this one hits the spot ! the food is fabulous and the servers are wonderful .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great French MartiniSnootyfoodieVIPDined on 4/3/2014Food ok, a little heavy-handed with salt. Service not very friendly. But will go back to try other drinks at the bar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Girls Night OutYumaliciousDined on 4/1/2014Great place to catch up with gal pals. 1/2 price bottles of wine but because the server didn't mention this (we had to ask, i gave it 4 instead of 5 stars. Very accommodating and friendly staff - food was delicious and the place stayed open for us as we gabbed away past mindnight!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dinner with friendsLauraLDined on 3/31/2014This was my second time in 3 days to visit this restaurant. First time, I had the salmon dinner and it was just okay. Bread was delicious, company was great and the staff was good. Second time, I got salmon on the salad and it was overcooked and not so great. Bread was surprisingly also over-baked. Staff was terrific again. Steak salad got good reviews from my friends- it is highly recommended. We had 2 desserts the first night - chocolate cake - a bit dry, tasted like it came out of the fridge/freezer, but the peanut butter bombe was fantastic. Both times the wait staff was super accommodating and the staff at the host stand was very welcoming.Special Features:
- A local favoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 3/29/2014I have been going to Fontina Grille for years and it is always excellent. The wines are reasonable, the food is tasty and the atmosphere is inviting. I'm never disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Dinner!LongbeachlindaVIPDined on 3/28/2014We try to go to Fontina Grille about once a month. The food is always great. The service is terrific and the management makes sure everything runs smoothly. This restaurant really is a "neighborhood gem."Special Features:
- Sad to see a good restaurant declinRobertoVIPDined on 3/22/2014We've been regulars at Fontina Grille since they opened, but in recent months our experience has been disappointing. The quality of the food has become quite uneven. EXAMPLES: I still love the mussels and the vodka penne, for example, but my last two fish entrees have been dry and accompanied by a heap of unimaginative vegetables barely cooked. My companion had a chicken piccata recently that was so tough and salty that it was inedible. It appears the kitchen is on auto-pilot and quality control has been a victim of the the routine. Sadly, we'll be going down the street to Il Pizzico more often. We'll check back to see if things have gotten better, but our fondness for this place is wearing pretty thin.
- Brad's reviewBradDined on 3/14/2014Fontina Grille is a mixture of a neighborhood restaurant and a place for a special occasion. Having the Open Table option is a definitely plus, especially for a special occasion. Menu is well organized for both light and hearty eaters, servers are professional and very attentive, food is well prepared and great tasting. For those more health conscious, there is a nice wheat penne option. Overall, we have been to Fontina Grille a number of times and always leave happy and full. Keep up the good work.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love the Fontina GrilleAmericanTeacherDined on 3/13/2014The food is almost always great. Our waiter left much to be desired. We've had him before. We learned his name this trip. From now on, when we make reservations or when we arrive at the restaurant, we will ask to have any other waiter but him. Everyone else who worked our table was great.Special Features:
- Treated like royalty!!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/28/2014From the moment we arrived, we were given the royal treatment. Every part of the dining experience was amazing- ambiance, service and quality.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love, love, love Fontina Grille.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/25/2014Love, love, love Fontina Grille. They are a hidden gem in King Farm. We have been going there for years and just love it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a delicious mealOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/22/2014We were a group of 10 people. We all ordered different dinners and everyone enjoyed what they selected. I selected this restaurant for two reasons, the noise level is decent so you can talk to one another and the food is consistently good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food , but....BeachdinerDined on 2/22/2014Arrived on time for a 7:00 reservation. Did not get seated until 7:40. Uncomfortable waiting space. Was promised a round table- tried to sit us at 2 tables pushed together , where 2 would have been on the crack. Eventually got to the round, but shaky start to what was eventually a good meal.Special Features:
- Great good!JohnnySacDined on 2/21/2014Adequate portions, great flavor, not over spiced or over seasoned. One of the best Italian places in the DC/MD area.Special Features:
- Great for a date night!FooD77VIPDined on 2/14/2014I really liked the food at this place and the ambiance is great! They have great wine and their prices are fair! I'm defiantly going back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Italian food in Rockville areaDentman333Dined on 2/14/2014You can't go wrong with Fontina Grill! Everything is excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.