801 Pleasant Drive
Rockville, MD 20850Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.fontinagrille.com/
- Phone: (301) 947-5400
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Sunday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Lunch: Daily: 11:30am - 5:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Full Bar, Takeout
A word from Fontina Grille
Fontina Grille, in the King Farm, offers the best of the best when it comes to oven-fired pizzas, fresh fish, gourmet pastas, bountiful salads and sandwiches. The granite bar divides two dining areas. To the left, a full service carry out counter offering everything from pizza and pasta, to ribeye steak and Lavazza coffee and cappuccino. To the right, the casual but elegant dining area can seat about 125 people, with a back area for semi-private parties and corporate events. Fontina Grille also offers private and corporate catering, with a variety of options to suit any budget.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerKid Friendly
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
Fontina Grille - Best Restaurants in Rockville ›
Fontina Grille reviews from OpenTable diners
58 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (34)good for groups (23)great for lunch (15)kid-friendly (14)fit for foodies (13)great for outdoor dining (9)hot spot (6)vibrant bar scene (6)great for brunch (5)special occasion (5)romantic (5)late-night find (4)notable wine list (4)Show More
- Excellent performance under stress.HardToPleaseDined on 11/15/2014Faced with serving parties of 30 and 40 teenage girls from a soccer tournament restaurant management kept its reservation times, provided excellent food and most importantly, its level of service. While I have eaten there often, this evening said to me that "This is a place worthy of visiting time and time again."Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HopsVIPDined on 11/8/2014The apps were good (mussels & eggplant). The entrees had too much pasta mixed in with the main attraction. So it makes for an overwhelming portion and takes away from the main dish which should be the focus. The service is consistent but not attentive.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great specialsCrazeeebabyVIPDined on 11/6/2014I don't know how they make money with specials like they have. The early bird specials for only $14, especially the grilled salmon, are amazing. But the gourmet pizza's are to die for! Love ladies night half priced wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mediumHDined on 11/1/2014We eat here about three times a month since it opened and we have never had a bad experience. We've introduced Fontia to several friends who have since become regular customers and they live at a distance but still come here. The wait staff is awesome, food is not only delicious but ample; we always have left overs and the prices are reasonable. The dessert menu is limited but we never have room for dessert anyway.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently very goodRWoodBVIPDined on 10/31/2014The mussels are always plump and moist, and the sauce has just the right balance of garlic and butter. The Ahi tuna salad I had after finishing the mussels was also very good, both as to the freshness of the ingredients and the preparation. The list of wines by the glass, while limited, reflects careful choices of wines that are good values--usually $7 or $8 for a six-ounce pour. I have not tried the lunch buffet, but it is clearly very popular. Unfortunately, the constant movement of people past one's table on their way to or from the buffet is distracting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday Lunch CelebrationOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 10/29/2014A group from the office had lunch and it was delicious. We all had the lunch buffet and thoroughly enjoyed the mussels. The waitstaff was professional and constantly cleaned dishes from our table.Special Features:
- pleasing findsimplereviewDined on 10/25/2014I happened upon this restaurant by actually just doing an internet search for restaurants close to our hotel in Rockville. It was all beyond my expectations. My only disappointment was that I couldn't finish my meal because the portions were very generous. And I was also disappointed I couldn't take home the leftovers because we were heading out on our 8 hour trip home the next morning. I've eaten at restaurants that were twice as expensive but had half the class. Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Didn't have reservationOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/11/2014When I showed with my party of 9, they said the table wasn't ready but it would be in ten minutes. The host said that since the reservation was made that day they couldn't accommodate us. 45 minutes later we were seated. They did give us free appetizers for the long wait.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JaybeeJayBeeDined on 10/7/2014I have had many meals at fontina grill and have not been disappointed yet. I shall returnSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not too much bang for the buckexperience1Dined on 10/5/2014We arrived with a reservation at 6pm on a Sunday night. VERY LOUD inside. We placed our order, waiter forgot the appetizer and forgot us most of the time. Even forgot us after we paid by gift card and we needed to pay tip. He said he assumed we were paying tip with cash. How would anyone know that? Bus staff was great. Manager seemed attentive. The prices were high for very average food. We used up a gift card. I would not return. I could not hear my husband who sat just across from me.Special Features:
- Nice placeCrazeeebabyVIPDined on 9/25/2014Nice place with good Italian food and nice bar area.Special Features:
- Pasta dishes were disappointing!SpanishVisitorsVIPDined on 9/13/2014The restaurant and service was excellent. First course was great however we were disappointed with the entrees (shrimp scampi and calamari siciliana)- these were linguini dishes served with ALOT of broth at the bottom of the plate and limited taste! Just disappointing since the rest of the dinner was great! Highly doubt I would order pasta (if we ever go back). Good wine list though.Special Features:
- AAWGVIPDined on 9/5/2014Realized the middle dining session is alot more noisier than at the end dining session.
- Friends go-to spot for LunchtheatergeekDined on 9/5/2014My friends and I enjoy going to the Fontina Grille for lunch. Convenient location in King Farm. Their buffet is prefect - something for everyone, mussells, pizza, ravioli, meatballs etc. The price is fair and the atmosphere is good. Don't usually drink with lunch, however they have a full bar.Special Features:
- Overcooked salmonRWoodBVIPDined on 8/11/2014The salmon entree was a big disappointment as it was not cooked to medium as requested. It was solid, rather than flaky. The bed of spinach was soggy and lacked proper seasoning. The list of wines by the glass was well chosen.
- Great placeIcecreammanDined on 8/5/2014Nice selection with good food. Service is always good. Prices are reasonable. What else could you want?Special Features:
- The following 284 reviews are from the Fontina Grille reviews archive.
- Job celebratinSewinggirlDined on 7/19/2014We took our daughter there to celebrate her first career job. I had the shrimp Rissotto,my husband had the chicken Valdostano & daughter had shrimp fra diablo. The Rissotto had lots of shrimp and fresh vegetables. The Chicken dish with Fontina cheese & prosciutto & wine was thoroughly enjoyed by my husband who went out of the box to order this. He always orders chicken Parmesiano. Our daughter said her shrimp fra diablo was a little to spicy. Lauren our server did and excellent job. We have been to this restaurant for New Years celebration. And other occasions and will return again.Special Features:
- Consistently DeliciouspickyDined on 7/18/2014Great food at reasonable prices. Been at least 50 times and each time all diners were very happy with the food. Only complaints are the tables are small and they get easily crowded, and it gets really noisy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JLK007VIPDined on 7/16/2014We enjoy this restaurant, although the noise level is extremely high. I don't think that the waitress was particularly attentive though. I did return my meal to be heated more. The restaurant is decorated nicely and is always well attended in spite of the above report. We do eat here often as it is near my apt.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gem of a restaurant.LaurieMDined on 7/12/2014My husband and I recently returned to Fontina Grill after several years. It has changed owners three times. We were seated right away and ordered a roasted romaine salad to share, white pizza and chicken with spaghetti dish. Warm bread with oil was provided, a welcome change from the prevailing custom of no bread. It was very good. The salad was very tasty, accompanied with a house made dressing. Our entrees were excellent. The chicken was made perfectly, tender and flavorful. We didn't have room for dessert, but we intend to return soon. Service was excellent, attentive and prompt.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful RestaurantSharkzDined on 6/26/2014I have been here several times with my husband and daughter for dinner and on other occasions for lunch with friends. I have always had a great experience. The food is excellent and reasonably priced and the service is excellent. A group of us have sat there for several hours during lunch and have always been treated well. In at least one other restaurant we were made to feel uncomfortable while we sat and talked.Special Features:
- Good food, excellent serviceDaveCDined on 6/15/2014Fontina Grille in the King Farm area is worthy of a casual dining visit. The service was excellent, with prompt seating and careful table service. The food was good, but not outstanding. It's a good place for lunch too.Special Features:
- Father's DaybrockDined on 6/15/2014Found this place on open table for Father's Day, as dad likes pasta/bread dishes. Hidden in the middle of King Farm (I thought it was all residential). Started off with a generous portion of the wild mushroom appetizer, which was pretty good, and warm bread. For entrees I ordered the veal picatta, mom the spinach rollentini, and dad got grilled salmon. My picatta was a tad too lemony for my taste. Mom enjoyed the rollentini, as did father his salmon. Service was quick and dishes came out promptly. May try to come for a casual sit down lunch in the future to try their pizza and sandwiches.Special Features:
- Good, efficient diningSteveVIPDined on 6/14/2014We chose this restaurant because it was close to family and we needed a quick dinner on a Saturday evening. At 8:30, the restaurant was only about a quarter full, mostly locals and several families. Service, menu and preparation were all good. We were in and out in about 45 minutes, which was fine for us. I am sure you could linger and turn this into a romantic spot but that wasn't what we were looking for this particular evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Seems to be decliningPSBDCVIPDined on 6/5/2014I have eaten at Fontina Grill over 20 times, and some of the meals have been really good. I have noticed recently that I am enjoying my meals less and that recipes that I used to like are either changing or disappearing from the menu. Hopefully, all of this is temporary.Special Features:
- Romantic & calmRomanceDined on 6/3/2014A nice quiet and romantic restaurant that was very reasonably priced. I also appreciated their cloth tablecloths and that there was no overhead music.Special Features:
- Family GatheringsERMRDined on 6/1/2014For the past several years we have held family gatherings at Fontina Grill and have found that they are always happy to make any accommodations we require.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pickyeaterDined on 5/31/2014We were well treated, though our waiter's inexperience showed. Food was good though not as good as our last experience. My glass of wine was excellent. I like that Fontina can and will accommodate my gluten-free needs. That alone will get my husband and me back. Hope I can order pizza, too.Special Features:
- mothers dayscoperDined on 5/11/2014we made a reservation for 6 at 7pm mothers day, we were seated at 7 30, a business assoc was at the bar and is a regular at Fontina. He told the manager to give us the VIP. Maybe because it was mothers day and they were busy but after we were seated and got 1 basket of bread for 6 it was like our waiter disappeared. I had to stop the manager and ask to order the appetizers, the main course very slow to come out. Overall the food was ok, not as good as Mama Lucia's at Falls Grove. That is our go to place for the family so I kinda compare it to their service and food. By the time we got our check the place was empty and the banged a 20% grat on the check, lol. oh well all for MamaSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great mother's day outingoccasionaldinerDined on 5/11/2014Our family find this neighborhood easy and convenient for the two members who are wheel chair bound at the moment easy access and friendly staff and owners.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great neighborhood restaurantVickiDined on 5/10/2014always delicious and consistent. great atmosphere and service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- was goodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/8/2014Service was good. I got the buffet. The meatballs were lukewarm and the fruit salad was below OK. Just a few types of fruit.Special Features:
- good experieceDonaldVIPDined on 4/23/2014I like this place. A nice neighborhood restaurant and feel to it. There wine list is ok and prices very reasonable. The flavor of their red sauce is very good and the prices and quality of their preparation are above average. I look forward to my visits here and if you have not tried it, you should. My only fault is the wait service is inconsistent and last evening our waiter while "ok", did not yield anything positive to the experience. He was more interested in everything around us...than us.Special Features:
- Great Spot for Get TogethersRoamingDinerDined on 4/20/2014We dined at Fontina Grille on a busy Thursday evening and returned for Sunday brunch. The place is popular for dinner and deserves more attention for its Sunday brunch. It has a nice mixed menu of brunch items (e.g., Crabmeat Benedict, steak and eggs, and omelettes) plus its regular lunch menu. Pizza is delicate thin crust, delicious, and some novel toppings, like "Philly Cheesesteak." Brunch even offers a "breakfast pizza," with scrambled eggs, ham, and mozzerella. Appetizers are very good -- try the mussels. Salads came with a generous helping of the fish we ordered. Rockfish salad has delicately crusted pistachios. The salmon is simply grilled. We have yet to find a dish we did not enjoy. And the service was warm and inviting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- okayalexDined on 4/12/2014The plates are a little big. So if you look for size over quantity this is your place. It's decent Italian eating.definitely good for cravings .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Okay Visitdragonfly953Dined on 4/6/2014We've been to Fontina Grille before and their food is great. But this time when we went, I order the pizza siciliana and the pizza was really salty. I'm not sure if that's the way it is or not so I didn't really complain.Special Features:
- Our favorite Italian in MarylandBeatwellDined on 4/4/2014been eating out at italian restaurants for forever -- a native New Yorker, I've had my choice. and experienced many. in the five years living in Montgomery county we've tried many and this one hits the spot ! the food is fabulous and the servers are wonderful .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great French MartiniSnootyfoodieVIPDined on 4/3/2014Food ok, a little heavy-handed with salt. Service not very friendly. But will go back to try other drinks at the bar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Girls Night OutYumaliciousDined on 4/1/2014Great place to catch up with gal pals. 1/2 price bottles of wine but because the server didn't mention this (we had to ask, i gave it 4 instead of 5 stars. Very accommodating and friendly staff - food was delicious and the place stayed open for us as we gabbed away past mindnight!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dinner with friendsLauraLDined on 3/31/2014This was my second time in 3 days to visit this restaurant. First time, I had the salmon dinner and it was just okay. Bread was delicious, company was great and the staff was good. Second time, I got salmon on the salad and it was overcooked and not so great. Bread was surprisingly also over-baked. Staff was terrific again. Steak salad got good reviews from my friends- it is highly recommended. We had 2 desserts the first night - chocolate cake - a bit dry, tasted like it came out of the fridge/freezer, but the peanut butter bombe was fantastic. Both times the wait staff was super accommodating and the staff at the host stand was very welcoming.Special Features: