1052 Folsom Street
San Francisco, CA 94103Neighborhood:
FonduePrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.fonduecowboy.com/
- Phone: 4154315100
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Sunday: 5:00PM - 10:00PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Fondue, Comfort Food
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Fondue Cowboy
Located in San Francisco's SOMA district Fondue Cowboy is where you will find the non traditional fondue experience. They keep things untamed and wild with their fondue offerings. It's a great place to enjoy something new and unique. Come lounge in a cozy inviting space and watch Western movies while you indulge.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Fondue Cowboy reviews from OpenTable diners
27 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (14)romantic (13)neighborhood gem (13)special occasion (12)good for groups (10)hot spot (4)vibrant bar scene (3)late-night find (3)kid-friendly (1)notable wine list (1)Show More
- go to for birthday partiesOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/26/2014delicious cheeses, delicious chocolates, sweetest staffSpecial Features:
- Very good fondues, but tinymiopeDined on 10/17/2014The fondues are delicious, but are really tiny, they say is one for two people but is more like you actually need 2 per person. Truly 1/4 of the size of a normal fondue in Switzerland or France. Anyway, the price matches the size and they are very tasty, so I don't mind that much
- Best experienceAngelicag93Dined on 10/12/2014Tried fondue for the first time at Fondue Cowboy and it was the best! Great service, excellent food, and adorable decor! Definitely a great place to go with a couple of friends or on a date.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- threeredshoesVIPDined on 9/17/2014Fondue Cowboy has been a consistent dining treat. Cozy atmosphere creates a wonderful sharing experience and this is before the Fondue! The meat platter is a must. Generous portions, great variety, fun wines and a sweet, helpful staff.Special Features:
- Interesting fondue choicesjaa55901Dined on 9/16/2014The main course fondues are cheese only, but there are 6 combinations, each serving 2 people. What we had was excellent, and I've seen other reviews indicating that others are just as good. You get vegetables, fruit and bread to dip, and there was plenty. We ordered the side dish of slam and prosciutto and it was a nice addition, but could have been skipped. I wish we had room for dessert as they have 3 different chocolate fondues to choose from. There were other choices on the menu, but we were there for the fondue, and it seemed like almost everyone else there that might was too.Special Features:
- Fondue wonderful & service greatdcarlDined on 9/14/2014We thoroughly enjoyed our time at Fondue Cowboy. Was with my daughter and 2 teenage grandsons. All of us enjoyed the fondue offerings. We shared a large arugula salad and then had Stagecoach and Rawhide fondues plus a meat platter. We ended with the dark chocolate/cayenne fondue. All were excellent. Wines were also excellent and the service was outstanding. Would definitely recommend - a unique spot.Special Features:
- best fondue in San FranciscowintercitrusDined on 9/12/2014Rawhide is our favorite. we missed the steak plate this time; hoping it will be back next time.Special Features:
- Great food-- but gnats...FlyonthewallDined on 8/16/2014The ambiance is ruined by the fly/gnats in the entire building. Makes me wonder if there are any dead in my food. A screen door would be an excellent addition.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One complaintlove2eatDined on 7/24/2014A small restaurant. We were there for the 14th birthday of my granddaughter. She had chosen it by a web search. We had a very nice time. My granddaughter did not realize it was a more adult restaurant. The service personnel were lovely. The only complaint I have was the restaurant served no meat as a fondue option.
- Excellent second date!ShaniDined on 7/23/2014Our date was going very well and they let us stay until they closed. Service was great, very attentive. The food was good, but, if you are used to Swiss portions of fondue, you will be very disappointed. However, with the addition of a salad and about 5 ciders, it was filling. Just don't come starving.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 224 reviews are from the Fondue Cowboy reviews archive.
- We Love healthy fondue!kemevaVIPDined on 6/13/2014Healthy fondue! Who would have ever thought it could happen?! The fresh salads and fondue dipping bites are delicious! Love this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great fonduejoaoDined on 5/31/2014If you like cheese, you'll like cheese fondue. If you like cheese fondue you'll love this restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FonduexamrepusDined on 5/23/2014We came here at 9:00 pm with reservation. All tables were occupied but they cleared a table for us in a couple of minutes. They have good selection of draft beers. We took salads, traditional fondue with additional meat plate and a sweet fondue. Found all that great. Someone here wrote that the portion of sweet fondue is small. But we two were not able to finish that all - the size is really big and so many tasty things is included. And the price is reasonable. We're totally happy with that. We have stayed half-hour their time of close but nobody rushed us - we appreciate it. Hope to get here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ReservationOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/23/2014When you reserve it's important to specific that you have two hours to dinner, we were celebrating a birthday and we had to eat quickly because they have another reservation.
- Great Place!RNaviaDined on 5/17/2014I've been here several times and have introduced friends to this place. I's a great place to meet with friends, catch up and enjoy an experience.Special Features:
- Fondue lovers try this placeLovefrenchfoodDined on 5/17/2014My husband loves fondue so he was excited when we saw this place on a way to another restaurant. A week later we tried the place and we left the restaurant so full. It is defenitely a place of indulgence. They had yummy roasted potatoes to dip and I love that they also served fresh slices of green apples and grapes.the dessert fondue had generous amount of very fresh fruits. If you like fondue, you shall try here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We enjoyed ourselvesavantARLDined on 5/1/2014We were celebrating my friend's acceptance into Berkeley and this place turned out to be really nice for it. The space is cozy and modern, just the way we like it. It was a (rare) warm evening so it got a bit toasty inside but they kept the door open to get air circulating so it wasn't too uncomfortable. I felt bad for the chefs in the kitchen. The service was pleasant and attentive. The food was good, though my partner and I went through our fondue pot rather quickly. Not as much fondue as I would have imagined for $25, but the assortment of items in which to dip was quite nice. I ordered the mango-tini and it was 'meh'. I'd come here again, though I'm curious to try other fondue joints just to have something to compare it to.I would recommend this to a friend.
- fun date, decent foodMattDined on 4/4/2014The savory fondues were okay, but man, the chocolates were great. We had both the milk chocolate w/ hazelnut and the dark chocolate with chilies. The atmosphere was very relaxed, if slightly hipster.Special Features:
- Unique and tastyBroseVIPDined on 3/29/2014We gave Fondue Cowboy a try and enjoyed our meal. The cheese fondues (several varieties) all come with multiple dipping options including bread, roasted fingerling potatoes, broccoli, grapes, apples, olives and gherkins. Delicious and fun to share! The dessert fondue was also tasty - we loved the dark chocolate and cayenne fondue with dippers including house made marshmallows, fruits, cookies, etc. Nice selection of beer and wine. You can also supplement the meal with sides including a large salad (good to share), cured meats and spicy hot links. Casual vibe. We had a great server. Give this place a try.
- Cheesy FunMemlouiseVIPDined on 3/27/2014Wow. That was fun and delicious. The theme of cowboys and fondue really seemed to work in this funky little haven on Folsom. The fondue was really yummy and the kitchen very generous with extra bits of broccoli we requested for dipping. I'll definitely go back and, next time, add the meat side. What fun.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious food. Cute lay outKelSepDined on 3/21/2014For the fondue foodie in you, this place is a gem. The menu is small, but everything is fresh and tastes amazing. My only critique would be there isn't much seating, so make reservations ahead of time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun PlaceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/1/2014My girlfriend loves two foods: bread and cheese. So for her birthday we brought her here and she loved it. Great fondue varieties—we had two savory and one dessert—and classic dip-ables made this a fun night. Plus, the craft beer selection was solid.Special Features:
- Great place! Awesome food!dbaqDined on 2/19/2014The waitress was extremely friendly. The food is really really (...) really good. The place is convenient for small party. Otherwise make a reservation! If you want to take a date there, don't hesitate, the atmosphere is great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FUNdo!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/18/2014Great food and who can deny the fun of fondue? Great selection of veggie items to dip come standard, and were more than enough for our party of three. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- THE DESSERT WAS AMAZING!!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/15/2014Don'teave without trying the milk chocolate fondue!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love Fondue!FondOfFondueDined on 2/13/2014I love going here. The Buckeroo is amazing and I would go and just eat dessert! I definitely recommend this place to anyone who desires a fun, but still classy restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great findOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/8/2014Comfortable dining experience. Ample Supply of delicious choices. Friendly Atmosphere. Very helpful wait staff. Although there is not a full service bar We were very satisfied with the drinks We selected. Delicious delicious deliciousSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- decent fondue but felt rusheditsnotcarlosVIPDined on 2/5/2014Actually, we WERE rushed. I totally get that this place is small and we were a big party. As soon as we paid, they literally kicked us out. The bar was empty, so the smart thing to do was to offer the bar to us -- they could have made more money on drinks! That said, the fondue options are decent -- we tried them all. The steak pieces are a disappointing. They look like chipotle diced meat!! I dislike reviews that are just one sided and negative, so let me end my review by saying if you plan to go, go as a pair or as a group of 4 max. Make sure you get the chili chocolate fondue for dessert. Overall, you will enjoy the options and you will leave the place with a full stomach. :-)I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cheesy DelightSFNativeYumDined on 1/14/2014We had reservations for a Tuesday night which was totally unnecessary. The vibe was laid back with a touch of modern cowboy. Service was good and suggestions that were made seemed genuine. Traditional and Cowboy fondues were awesome! The dark chocolate dessert fondue was also a nice way to finish off the meal. Happy bellies were had all around.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great twist on FondueFondueReviewDined on 1/4/2014If you're looking for Cowboy looks and Swiss delights then look no further. This cowboy themed cutie delivers just what the Rodeo ordered. The portions aren't cowboy in size but you'll leave full without emptying your wallet. The restaurant is small so I'd suggest getting a reservation (hence.. why you're here) but they aren't small on service. There are only a few negatives if you're looking for your standard darkly lit Fondue joint with plenty of privacy this might not be the place for you but if you love great fondue, great service and a unique spin on cheese and chocolate then you'll need to book your next date here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved this place!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/29/2013We were visiting San Francisco from LA, and our foodie friends recommended Fondue Cowboy. So glad they did! It was romantic, delicious, and super-friendly staff. It was a bit of a dodgy walk to get to this place from our hotel, so we ended up taking a cab home. However, once inside, you feel a million miles away from the "transitional" neighborhood that surrounds it. We definitely plan to go back the next time we are in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cheese/chocolate fonduesOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/21/2013The portion of the fondues are SO small !!! We usually count between 0.44 to 0.66 pounds per person for the cheese. The chocolate fondue could be bigger too, even if it is a desert. However, both taste very good !
- Good fondue but service not greatYummyDined on 12/20/2013Went for a bday celebration. Food was ok but was told after 1 hour that we needs to hurry up and finish because they had other reservations. We had planned to have a long meal and hang out because we had all driven a long way to meet and don't get to see each other often. They were rude To us and would not accommodate our request to sit and leisurely enjoy our meal. Then they wound up not having people show up for the reservations and there was plenty if room in the restaurant when we left. Overall I thought there were better ways to handle the service. The food was not memorable and the ambiance was ok. I would not I back to this restaurant.
- This place has really goodOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 12/14/2013This place has really good fondue and salads. I can't do fondue all the time, but when I'm in the mood, this place is perfect!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Engaging and HipErikahDined on 12/14/2013Very enjoyable. I chose the restaurant for an interactive meal with my teenage kids, they found it engaging and hip. We selected a more basic meal that they offered as our foundation for my picky eater then added sides that my more adventurous eater requested. It was not overly priced, for the quantity and we found our hunger more then satisfied. If you enjoy small bites, small flavor tasting and sharing, I would recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun group dinneraerie4Dined on 12/14/2013Group of 6 for dinner. Loved the restaurant. Awesome atmosphere. The owner was our waiter and he was so gracious and personable. Dinner was amazing and dessert… Wow! Loved it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Fun Great Service Great Food!OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 12/6/2013What a find! This place is a smartly designed to make use of a small space. The decor is subtle, effective and clever. The star of the night had to be a combination of the service and excellent fondue choices. Always thoughtful and attentive to your needs, the staff provides unsurpassed customer service. We tried two different savory cheese fondues. The traditional and one that was Gorgonzola-based - WINNER! So good! I have had fondue many times before but these guys truly had the perfect consistency and taste down. I must get. We finished our experience with the milk chocolate and walnuts fondue. Truly, we had to fight each other for the last bit. We will be back many times to come. Enjoy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So much funLtuxDined on 11/24/2013Fondue Cowboy is a great spot for a couple people or a large group. We celebrated a birthday here with a party of 12. Fondue w/a big group was festive & fun. The fondue was delicious (I love the Rawhide) and the salads were great too. Very fun ambiance. I highly recommend Fondue Cowboy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun place for after work happy hourYummystuff525VIPDined on 11/23/2013My husband & I have been here twice and both times we have had a good experience. The food is good. We always get a glass of wine on tap and a sausage plate to go with the fondue. Both times there was a large group and the restaurant was lively.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Waaaayyy to expensive forOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/14/2013Waaaayyy to expensive for small sized average fondue The restaurant would be fine at half the priceSpecial Features: