Fonda - East Village
40 Avenue B
New York, NY 10009Neighborhood:
Contemporary MexicanPrice: $31 to $50
Fonda - East Village
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.fondarestaurant.com/
- Phone: (212) 677-4096
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Monday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 12:00am; Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 11:00am - 4:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary Mexican
- Executive Chef: Raul Leyva
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
A word from Fonda - East Village
Contemporary, authentic Mexican cuisine in a relaxing, fun atmosphere. Incredible margaritas and "best of its kind" Mexican Home Cooking.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Fonda - East Village reviews from OpenTable diners
60 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (31)neighborhood gem (29)good for groups (19)great for brunch (18)vibrant bar scene (16)special occasion (15)hot spot (14)romantic (9)great for lunch (8)late-night find (8)kid-friendly (3)scenic view (1)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Great food, lack of service.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/22/2014So I had heard a lot about Fonda and decided to make a reservation here for a friend's birthday. The reservation was for 7:30 and we were very late and reached around 8:30. When we got there, the host said he obviously couldn't hold the reservation for that long and he'll give us the next available table. We agreed and decided to hit the bar for a bit. The place started getting crowded immediately after our arrival. Some had reservations for that time and got their tables right away which was totally understandable. There was group of four people (We were three) who kept pushing the host for a table. After waiting a long hour and a half to two hours, the host ended up giving our table (which he mentioned was being cleared for us) to the group of four because they kept pestering him. At this point, my friends and I were clearly fuming but decided to stay since we had already waited so long. While that group got a comfy booth near the center of the restaurant, we finally got a table 15 minutes after them right next to the door. Mind you, it was 30 degrees that night and the cold air kept hitting us. The food was worth the wait, but I still think it was wrong of the host to push us down the list for some other party who had arrived after us and clearly had no reservation. Great food, but a serious lack of good customer service. Also, our appetizers ended up arriving after our entrees.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing bottomless birthday brunch!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/16/2014Came here for my birthday brunch on a Sunday! My server was so fun & kept our drinks filled for the full 1.5 hours! The food was delicious & came in large portions. Would definitely recommend this place to groups looking for a fun atmosphere as it is a little bit loud.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Brunch!Cfnyc722Dined on 11/8/2014Came with a group of 10. Had a reservation but had to wait 20 minutes to be seated, which was the ony negative. We arrived at prime brunch hour so I guess it's to be expected when you have a large party and are waiting for a table to open. Once seated, the waitress was very attentive always refilling our drinks! No complaints there!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BrunchJoeDDined on 11/8/2014Great brunch with the girls. Very loud and lots of people. Generous open bar - even with every table full they still refilled and didn't forget about you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Date nightFoodfoodfoodfoodfoodDined on 10/31/2014Really good for date night. Small, quite and intimate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A very boozy brunch...123456789Dined on 10/18/2014Typical brunch deal with unlimited drinks. Ran out of bloody mary's, but the classic and frozen rosalita margaritas were on point. Food was tasty and came out hot and fresh. Very satisfying!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Guacamole MustOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/17/2014Seriously. It's the best. Have been there for brunch and dinner now. Dinner was really good, but I'd probably go back for brunch because it's has great bottomless drinks, a ton of food, and the guacamole.Special Features:
- Great Brunch!foodloverDined on 10/5/2014Delicious food and drinks! The Huevos Divorciados is delicious paired with their unlimited drinks. The ambiance is great (they even have a TV for Football on Sundays). I highly recommend this place for brunch! You can also get fresh made guac with varying level of spice.Special Features:
- Great GuacamoleNYFoodieDined on 10/4/2014Their Guac is really good. Very fresh. You can taste the tomatoes in the mix. The drinks were strong (I had the frozen hibiscus drink) but not as thick as the 7th av location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SpectacularTinaDined on 10/2/2014A great restaurant with a spectacular dining area and very tasty dishes and suprising combination.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MrlucasDined on 9/29/2014Ac in the back was really high was cold during the whole stay but other than that great food and great serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- StMarksGalDined on 9/21/2014Good brunch special with drinks included! Tasty meal and good service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Watchful eyeDineOutFrequetlyDined on 9/20/2014Brunch as great as they have a $27.00 all you can drink along with SUPERB FOOD We elected to order a la carte and get the Hibiscus Margarita on the rocks (superb) We ordered the food and it was perfect except the the salad which as very salty Upon notifying the server he quickly wisked it away and removed of from the bill. When leaving Fonda someone asked us how the food was and I told him it was great except for he salad. He was the owner and said he tasted it in the kitchen and responded that I was right and that it was over salted. I appreciate the fact that he cared enough to check it for himselfet us know. HANDS-ONSpecial Features:
- AndyjoDined on 9/2/2014Very pleasant atmosphere, gracious service. Great drink menu. Decor quite pretty. And it was quite affordable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food, Ok ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/24/2014I had brunch here, love the huevos rancheros. Wish there was more on the plate, but excellent. Service was ok, they were a little rude about switching tables considering the place was practically empty. Also hostess wanted our table back by a certain time, also super rude considering it was empty. Good brunch deal though, and good food. Hostess never checked us into opentable so I had to deal with that after the fact.Special Features:
- MEMargDined on 8/23/2014I've always loved this restaurant, it's one of the only restaurants in NYC with authentic oaxacan style mexican food. But the quality seems to be slipping a bit.
- A great table with very good foodVlo75Dined on 8/20/2014I have discovered this restaurant with Zagat. The ambiance is really cool (but a bit noisy) and the food is very different from a regular mexican restaurant, especially gacamole !Special Features:
- Brunch won't fill you uplifeisfoodDined on 8/17/2014The food is tasty although the portions won't get you full unless you're a light eater. Frozen hibiscus rosalitas are good however you may have to wait a bit for the machine to freeze the drink. You can def taste the tequila, though. Nice, chill spot with good service but don't come here starving.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- amazing place!contajuanDined on 8/16/2014The food was amazing, very much authentic!! Best mexican restaurant in Manhattan!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AverageBkdiner82Dined on 8/9/2014This restaurant was expensive for what it was. Some items were very spicy and we weren't warned. The skirt steak was over-salted. Entrees such as enchiladas which were very simple cost $20. There was a strong draft from he Ac. Table was uneven. Bathroom toilet didn't flush. If it was a $7 entree it would have been ok.Special Features:
- Mexican Food at th very finest.Alex9219Dined on 8/9/2014The food selection was great!. The meals were worth their price. I would recommend anyone who likes Mexican food to come here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FondaDavidDined on 8/8/2014The guacamole was incredible. I had the shrimp and scallops which was really delicious and presented beautifully. The Tres Leches dessert was a tasty treat. Would definitely recommend this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentShojinMonkeyVIPDined on 8/1/2014We thought the food was light and fresh, plated well and tasty. It might compare favorably with Rosa Mexicana's food, although the menu is smaller. We will have to try more dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 230 reviews are from the Fonda - East Village reviews archive.
- Good TimeLivetoeatVIPDined on 7/24/2014Restaurant week menu was quite good and plentiful. Skirt steak excellent, flavorful. Wife's red snapper equally excellent. Half price wine was very nice. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- Great!foodie47Dined on 7/19/2014My experience was great. I would go back in a heartbeat. We made reservations and had to wait but the manager was very nice and accommodated us with a free drink while we waited to have brunch. Everyone was helpful and the service was very good as well. I totally recommend Fonda.Special Features:
- Fun and good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/13/2014we were very pleased with our experience at Fonda. Food was great and service up to par and atmosphere was trendy and lively.Special Features:
- Fonda MexicanTGsViewDined on 6/29/2014First time at the East Village location. Found the menu choices to be creative with an ample number of items to select. The food was fresh and the taste was enhanced by the addition of herbs and spices. Service was attentive and available when needed. Be prepared for the volume of music which at times impacted our discussion. The manager, Juan was very helpful responding to our questions relating to the food and the other branches located in Chelsea and Park Slope.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KimballVIPDined on 6/22/2014Great guacamole! Everything we ordered was fresh and tasty!!!! We'll be back.Special Features:
- loved everything!ksgshmoopsVIPDined on 6/9/2014Great food, definitely get the guacamole and anything in the mole sauce. Sat by the open windows which was really nice. The drinks were delicious, and our waitress was very sweet. Will definitely be back whenever I am in New York!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply the bestkhaycoxVIPDined on 5/30/2014This is truly one of the best restaurants in the East Village. The food is nothing short of outstanding. It is not your standard Mexican fare. There is an originality to it with huge levels of flavor. Service is absolutely outstanding. Order the duck for an appetizer. You won't regret.Special Features:
- I can't wait to returnGardyngirlDined on 5/25/2014Great dinner and drinks, highly recommend! The Blood Orange Margarita is worth a trip back to the city!Special Features:
- Great food even better service¡aidalizDined on 5/24/2014Great food, but what really sets this place apart is its great service. Been here a few times now, for brunch and dinner, and the service is fast and courteous. Try their guacamole and queso fundido, its so yummy!Special Features:
- MicoleRDined on 5/18/2014Food was absolutely delicious, as always, and the portions are generous. They were so, so accommodating to my family member who has gluten and dairy intolerance - it was awesome. The waiter was super helpful when we were ordering. Only negative comment was that it was very dark in the restaurant - and not only for the older folks at the table. Other than that, spectacular.Special Features:
- Refreshingly DeliciousAshleyDVIPDined on 5/4/2014Boozy brunch was a blast at Fonda in East Village. The Frozen Hibiscus Rosalitas were wonderfully bottomless and the servers were very attentive in refilling our glasses. The Huervos Rancheros were scrumptious and gobbled down with some delectable sides of black beans and rice. This was the perfect place for Cinco de Mayo brunch indulgences. I was there this past Sunday and it was so vibrant and loud. Definitelt a great place for a large group regardless of the occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrible ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/26/2014We waited an hour to get seated for our reservation. After asking for the manager several times, he finally came over and said "don't worry I got you guys". That ended up being the furthest from the truth as we sat down and found out for the first time that we would be charged more for brunch per person because we were a larger party. No one had told me this beforehand. I used to like this place but I can't recommend it to anyone after how insulting they were.
- Good food, ok servicealisonbklynDined on 4/25/2014The service here was pretty spotty. Waiter was not especially attentive and left us sitting for quite a while waiting to place our order. He seemed a little spacy, and was also not overly friendly. Good service would've garnered this place a better review. The food was good, but the drinks were better. I ordered the "fish tacos" as my meal, and while I realize it was on the appetizer section of the menu, it was only 1 taco and very small. For $8, pretty skimpy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun time, good foodvnc202Dined on 4/22/2014Went for a birthday dinner (mine!) as a party of 8. We had plenty of room, but the place wasn't empty. The staff was super friendly. The food and drinks were both delicious and didn't take forever to come out. I've heard the brunch is great too, and will go back to try it. Came highly recommended and will be recommended in return. As a vegetarian, there were a few options for me, so I did have choices.Special Features:
- sdogra416Dined on 4/19/2014Great food, atm and young crowd but was rushed to finish and give up the table for the next party.Special Features:
- Decent but Not ExcellentdavidjenisonVIPDined on 4/18/2014We ordered three items - the cheese/chorizo fondue, cheese//chorizo-stuffed chicken and the shrimp & scallops plate with the hazelnut-chipotle sauce. The latter seafood dish was the only stand out. Others dishes were decent but not outstanding. The partial disappointment may be that we were so impressed by the innovative and progressive menu, and while Fonda does have an admirably different twist on Mexican food, the end result largely fell flat. Likewise, the table was a bit cramped, and the noise levels were extreme. I don't know if it has to do with the dining room dimensions or what, but you could hear conversations at tables all over the room, and unfortunately there were a few shrill customers. Happy hour seemed popular, tho.Special Features:
- Yum! (even if a bit hard to find!)lovestoeatVIPDined on 4/17/2014We were recommended this restaurant from an awesome private tour guide we had on our visit to NYC. Although we had a bit of a hard time finding it, we were glad we did and had an excellent meal. Great authentic, non-traditional Mexican!! Even our kids enjoyed it!Special Features: