Fonda - East Village
40 Avenue B
New York, NY 10009Neighborhood:
Contemporary MexicanPrice: $31 to $50
Fonda - East Village
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.fondarestaurant.com/
- Phone: 2126774096
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Monday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 12:00am; Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 11:00am - 4:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary Mexican
- Executive Chef: Raul Leyva
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
A word from Fonda - East Village
Contemporary, authentic Mexican cuisine in a relaxing, fun atmosphere. Incredible margaritas and "best of its kind" Mexican Home Cooking.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Fonda - East Village reviews from OpenTable diners
72 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (40)fit for foodies (37)good for groups (19)great for brunch (19)hot spot (14)vibrant bar scene (14)special occasion (14)romantic (12)late-night find (12)great for lunch (11)kid-friendly (5)notable wine list (3)scenic view (2)Show More
- Great Food, Ok ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/24/2014I had brunch here, love the huevos rancheros. Wish there was more on the plate, but excellent. Service was ok, they were a little rude about switching tables considering the place was practically empty. Also hostess wanted our table back by a certain time, also super rude considering it was empty. Good brunch deal though, and good food. Hostess never checked us into opentable so I had to deal with that after the fact.Special Features:
- MEMargDined on 8/23/2014I've always loved this restaurant, it's one of the only restaurants in NYC with authentic oaxacan style mexican food. But the quality seems to be slipping a bit.
- A great table with very good foodVlo75Dined on 8/20/2014I have discovered this restaurant with Zagat. The ambiance is really cool (but a bit noisy) and the food is very different from a regular mexican restaurant, especially gacamole !Special Features:
- Brunch won't fill you uplifeisfoodDined on 8/17/2014The food is tasty although the portions won't get you full unless you're a light eater. Frozen hibiscus rosalitas are good however you may have to wait a bit for the machine to freeze the drink. You can def taste the tequila, though. Nice, chill spot with good service but don't come here starving.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- amazing place!contajuanDined on 8/16/2014The food was amazing, very much authentic!! Best mexican restaurant in Manhattan!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AverageBkdiner82Dined on 8/9/2014This restaurant was expensive for what it was. Some items were very spicy and we weren't warned. The skirt steak was over-salted. Entrees such as enchiladas which were very simple cost $20. There was a strong draft from he Ac. Table was uneven. Bathroom toilet didn't flush. If it was a $7 entree it would have been ok.Special Features:
- Mexican Food at th very finest.Alex9219Dined on 8/9/2014The food selection was great!. The meals were worth their price. I would recommend anyone who likes Mexican food to come here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FondaDavidDined on 8/8/2014The guacamole was incredible. I had the shrimp and scallops which was really delicious and presented beautifully. The Tres Leches dessert was a tasty treat. Would definitely recommend this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentShojinMonkeyVIPDined on 8/1/2014We thought the food was light and fresh, plated well and tasty. It might compare favorably with Rosa Mexicana's food, although the menu is smaller. We will have to try more dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good TimeLivetoeatVIPDined on 7/24/2014Restaurant week menu was quite good and plentiful. Skirt steak excellent, flavorful. Wife's red snapper equally excellent. Half price wine was very nice. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- Great!foodie47Dined on 7/19/2014My experience was great. I would go back in a heartbeat. We made reservations and had to wait but the manager was very nice and accommodated us with a free drink while we waited to have brunch. Everyone was helpful and the service was very good as well. I totally recommend Fonda.Special Features:
- Fun and good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/13/2014we were very pleased with our experience at Fonda. Food was great and service up to par and atmosphere was trendy and lively.Special Features:
- Fonda MexicanTGsViewDined on 6/29/2014First time at the East Village location. Found the menu choices to be creative with an ample number of items to select. The food was fresh and the taste was enhanced by the addition of herbs and spices. Service was attentive and available when needed. Be prepared for the volume of music which at times impacted our discussion. The manager, Juan was very helpful responding to our questions relating to the food and the other branches located in Chelsea and Park Slope.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KimballVIPDined on 6/22/2014Great guacamole! Everything we ordered was fresh and tasty!!!! We'll be back.Special Features:
- loved everything!ksgshmoopsVIPDined on 6/9/2014Great food, definitely get the guacamole and anything in the mole sauce. Sat by the open windows which was really nice. The drinks were delicious, and our waitress was very sweet. Will definitely be back whenever I am in New York!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply the bestkhaycoxVIPDined on 5/30/2014This is truly one of the best restaurants in the East Village. The food is nothing short of outstanding. It is not your standard Mexican fare. There is an originality to it with huge levels of flavor. Service is absolutely outstanding. Order the duck for an appetizer. You won't regret.Special Features:
- I can't wait to returnGardyngirlDined on 5/25/2014Great dinner and drinks, highly recommend! The Blood Orange Margarita is worth a trip back to the city!Special Features:
- Great food even better service¡aidalizDined on 5/24/2014Great food, but what really sets this place apart is its great service. Been here a few times now, for brunch and dinner, and the service is fast and courteous. Try their guacamole and queso fundido, its so yummy!Special Features:
- MicoleRDined on 5/18/2014Food was absolutely delicious, as always, and the portions are generous. They were so, so accommodating to my family member who has gluten and dairy intolerance - it was awesome. The waiter was super helpful when we were ordering. Only negative comment was that it was very dark in the restaurant - and not only for the older folks at the table. Other than that, spectacular.Special Features:
- The following 220 reviews are from the Fonda - East Village reviews archive.
- Refreshingly DeliciousAshleyDDined on 5/4/2014Boozy brunch was a blast at Fonda in East Village. The Frozen Hibiscus Rosalitas were wonderfully bottomless and the servers were very attentive in refilling our glasses. The Huervos Rancheros were scrumptious and gobbled down with some delectable sides of black beans and rice. This was the perfect place for Cinco de Mayo brunch indulgences. I was there this past Sunday and it was so vibrant and loud. Definitelt a great place for a large group regardless of the occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrible ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/26/2014We waited an hour to get seated for our reservation. After asking for the manager several times, he finally came over and said "don't worry I got you guys". That ended up being the furthest from the truth as we sat down and found out for the first time that we would be charged more for brunch per person because we were a larger party. No one had told me this beforehand. I used to like this place but I can't recommend it to anyone after how insulting they were.
- Good food, ok servicealisonbklynDined on 4/25/2014The service here was pretty spotty. Waiter was not especially attentive and left us sitting for quite a while waiting to place our order. He seemed a little spacy, and was also not overly friendly. Good service would've garnered this place a better review. The food was good, but the drinks were better. I ordered the "fish tacos" as my meal, and while I realize it was on the appetizer section of the menu, it was only 1 taco and very small. For $8, pretty skimpy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun time, good foodvnc202Dined on 4/22/2014Went for a birthday dinner (mine!) as a party of 8. We had plenty of room, but the place wasn't empty. The staff was super friendly. The food and drinks were both delicious and didn't take forever to come out. I've heard the brunch is great too, and will go back to try it. Came highly recommended and will be recommended in return. As a vegetarian, there were a few options for me, so I did have choices.Special Features:
- sdogra416Dined on 4/19/2014Great food, atm and young crowd but was rushed to finish and give up the table for the next party.Special Features:
- Decent but Not ExcellentdavidjenisonVIPDined on 4/18/2014We ordered three items - the cheese/chorizo fondue, cheese//chorizo-stuffed chicken and the shrimp & scallops plate with the hazelnut-chipotle sauce. The latter seafood dish was the only stand out. Others dishes were decent but not outstanding. The partial disappointment may be that we were so impressed by the innovative and progressive menu, and while Fonda does have an admirably different twist on Mexican food, the end result largely fell flat. Likewise, the table was a bit cramped, and the noise levels were extreme. I don't know if it has to do with the dining room dimensions or what, but you could hear conversations at tables all over the room, and unfortunately there were a few shrill customers. Happy hour seemed popular, tho.Special Features:
- Yum! (even if a bit hard to find!)lovestoeatDined on 4/17/2014We were recommended this restaurant from an awesome private tour guide we had on our visit to NYC. Although we had a bit of a hard time finding it, we were glad we did and had an excellent meal. Great authentic, non-traditional Mexican!! Even our kids enjoyed it!Special Features:
- Sun nite groupLuv2eatDined on 4/13/2014My family + another met at 5 on Sunday for dinner. The food was unique and had loads of flavor. I wanted to try every appetizer. My son isnt too adventurous but I dont think he ever ate more in one sitting. He had the plantains and brisket. I had the guacamole shredded beef appetizer and the salmon. Best guacamole ever! Enjoyed leftovers the next day as entree portions were huge. The only issue was they kept changing the air (was often blowing on us and freezing), the lighting, and music level. I think each changed 10 times throughout the meal. I would absolutely frequent Fonda for the food and service.Special Features:
- real mexican food!vegtravelerVIPDined on 4/12/2014amazing mexican food at this lower east side hotspot. everything from the guoc to the tortillas are super fresh and wonderfully tasty.Special Features:
- A letdown after excellent reviewsLIsaLVIPDined on 4/9/2014Came in with high hopes and an appreciation for authentic food from Mexico. Didn't find much to love. No Sangrita to go with the tequilas. Chile relleno was a letdown. I hate to say it, but I would pass on this restaurant and go to Empellon instead.
- Loud but fun Sat night dinnericecreamVIPDined on 4/5/2014We enjoyed our second meal here. The waiter was great-- fun and attentive. Great food, awesome drinks (margaritas and sangria), and they comped us a round after they had to move us from one table to another, which we appreciated. It was really loud when we arrived (a bit before 9) but quieted down around 10.
- DisappointingGodricDined on 4/5/2014We ended up leaving before we even got food. I ordered a Bloody Mary and it was the worst drink I have ever had. The brunch menu didn't have many options so we paid for the drink (even though I couldn't finish it, it was so bad) and went to Waffles and Dinges down the street. Would never reccommend this place.
- Fonda is wonderful!LESFoodloverVIPDined on 4/5/2014I come to Fonda on a near weekly basis for happy hour and the amazing guacamole and it NEVER disappoints. On the dinner menu, I particularly love the pollo norteño and the fish. The dishes are flavored so well and so complexly that as each bite unfolds there is something new about the dish to enjoy. This was my first time at Fonda for the brunch special. The service was fantastic and the food was very good, but it wasn't comparable to the dinner fare. A friend who ordered chileaquiles said they would go for something else next time because the ratio of chips to everything else was off, making it mainly a bowl of chips. I enjoyed my omelette, but there was nothing inventive about it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slow service, excellent food.KateDined on 3/29/2014Took ages to get anyone's attention - the second we asked the waiter for more time to decide on food it was like he just checked out in favor of tables he thought he could turn faster. The food was delicious and indulgent. Fresh guacamole, drinks with flair, and main dishes that tested self control. I had the chicken with mole - complex and rich as expected. My friends had salmon, enchiladas, etc. and all were happy, but if service lacks in the EV it's not worth a second shot.Special Features:
- Brunch HeavenMattVIPDined on 3/23/2014One of the best brunches in NYC - delicious food, drinks didn't stop flowing, attentive staff who knew we needed refills before we even realized it ourselves. Excellent for groups - make a reservation at least a day ahead, though, to secure a table!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Birthday Dinnersoysauce357Dined on 3/18/2014I took my girlfriend to this wonderful Mexican restaurant for her birthday and we had a wonderful evening. The portions are small but absolutely delicious. The ambiance is fantastic - quiet and candlelit. The service is excellent - our waiter knew the menu very well and was able to answer all our questions and suggest a few things. I highly recommend the fish taco, it is mouthwateringly delicious. We were a bit late to our reservation but were seated immediately. There is a full bar as well, but note that they do close down completely at 11.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a bit hurried and heavy on salt ...azaleaDined on 3/14/2014the waitstaff tried on two occasions to take away played with food that was clearly being eaten. that's really unfortunate lack of training. it's punishingly noisey... so at a small table for four there was simply no possibility of heating what the person sitting diagonally across said. that produced interesting conversational dynamics. one dies not wish to have to yell throughout dinner after all. it's hard still to find good Mexican inspired regional cooking in NY city. and this place is better than most. they could use a bit lighter hand with the salt however. some of the plates were overwhelmingly slaty to the point that the salt rather than bringing out complex tastes erased them.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!dmturnerDined on 3/10/2014polished off guacamole, had to order 2 orders it was that good. Mole was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect brunch!Cfnyc722Dined on 3/8/2014Went to Fonda for brunch last Saturday with a group of 6 people. It was recommended by a friend. Great food. Everyone ordered something different and was pleased with their meal. Unlimited brunch is one of the best deals in NYC! You can choose mimosas, bloody Mary's, margaritas, beer or a Rosalita ALL UNLIMITED for 1.5hrs!!! This is probably the best/tastiest food I have ever had at an unlimited brunch place. It also had a very cool ambiance. Would definitely recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really Bad EntreesDanielleDined on 3/7/2014Came here for last day of NYC Restaurant Week. Guacamole starter was good; ordered the Carne Asada for a main and meat was overcooked, under-seasoned and completely flavorless. Only one dessert option left. Really rowdy and noisy, even at 7pm. Not worth the $38 price point per person, and wouldn't come back.Special Features:
- great timeirenaVIPDined on 3/5/2014I took my husband here for his 60th birthday as he loves Mexican food. It surpassed all our expectations. The cuisine was flavorful and well presented. The variety of beers on tap was terrific. The service was prompt and cordial.We'll be back for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.