Fonda - Brooklyn
434 7th Ave.
Brooklyn, NY 11215Neighborhood:
MexicanPrice: $31 to $50
Fonda - Brooklyn
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.fondarestaurant.com/
- Phone: (718) 369-3144
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday - Monday: 5 - 10:00pm
Tuesday - Thursday: 5 - 10:30pm
Friday - Saturday: 5 - 11:30pm
Saturday & Sunday: 11- 4:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Executive Chef: Gustavo Osorio
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Delivery, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please call for catering information.
A word from Fonda - Brooklyn
Contemporary, authentic Mexican cuisine in a relaxing, fun atmosphere.Continued
Incredible margaritas and "best of its kind" Mexican Home Cooking.
Incredible margaritas and "best of its kind" Mexican Home Cooking.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMexican
Fonda - Brooklyn - Best Restaurants in Park Slope ›
Fonda - Brooklyn reviews from OpenTable diners
48 reviews since August 1, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (33)fit for foodies (29)great for outdoor dining (19)romantic (12)great for brunch (11)kid-friendly (8)hot spot (7)special occasion (6)vibrant bar scene (5)great for lunch (4)good for groups (3)late-night find (1)Show More
- 2nd times a charmBklynfoodieDined on 11/8/2014I first made reservations over the summer when they were remodeling showed up and it was closed a little disappointed but I knew I would return and I did and well it was worth the wait the drinks were great and the food was fresh and tasty and service was outstanding this is more of an upscale atmosphere then most of the Mexican resturants in the Bklyn area. I would be frequenting this establishment in the future and recommend everyone also.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- special night outfun2dineDined on 11/4/2014Unexpected ending to great beginning. .weather was great. .food...great...staff....overly greatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Mex. in the SlopegoveglivelongDined on 10/22/2014If you are looking for real Mexican food in the Slope that is at a level way above the typical TexMex fair Fonda is your place. I have been going there for years and it never disappoints. The rice and beans are my daughters favorite dish of all time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and cocktails!Soccergirl13Dined on 10/18/2014I thoroughly enjoyed the food and cocktails at Fonda. I had the camarones adobadas and it was delicious! We also shared guacamole, which was quite spicy, and a tortilla soup. The food was all very flavorful. The portions are not very big, so if you're hungry, you should probably order a few appetizers. Our server was friendly and helpful while we maneuvered the menu. A couple irritating things were: it was chilly on the patio where they seated us and there were not heaters; the food was sort of lukewarm; and I made a reservation and was seated a half hour late. Overall, Fonda was good and I recommend it with the caveats I've listed above.Special Features:
- Enjoyable eveningRKinNYCDined on 9/29/2014We enjoyed dinner last night at Fonda in Park Slope, Brooklyn. The guacamole was yummy. I'm not eating corn or wheat now and the waiter and kitchen staff were very accommodating in providing carrots in place of the chips and tortillas. The veggie dish was very good (though it could have used a little less sauce) and the red snapper special way yummy. Wish I'd known there was a lovely under-utilized garden in the back. The weather would have been perfect for dining alfresco. The cocktails made for a festive evening.
- Starting the night off terriblyOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/27/2014I left my name with the Hostess and told her I'll wait outside. The Hostesses ends up ignoring my reservation and seats three parties of the same size who came after me with no reservations. When we did get seats (for two), the seats were placed right before a busy and narrow door way separating the dining area and the final prep area for food. I found myself constantly looking around because of how many people who walked right next to my table. Thankfully the food and waiters were good. However it was difficult to recover from such a terrible start.Special Features:
- Get outsideAble2ThinkDined on 9/26/2014This is at least my fourth time at Fonda, but my first time sitting outside. The backyard patio is beautiful and unlike the main dining room, is actually quiet. Fonda's food is excellent and the service is very good. Like many small restaurants, however, it gets really loud on a busy night. My party of four went on a Friday and could barely have a conversation at the bar while waiting for our table. As soon as we got outside, it was a different experience and we all relaxed. I gave 2/4 for noise, because the inside would be a 3/4, outside 1/4. There's really nothing else I'd change about Fonda. Next time we visit, we'll make it a weeknight.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always great!almin1204VIPDined on 9/14/2014I love Fonda Park Slope. I'm a regular and I will keep going! This was my first time for brunch and they serve THE BEST French Toast EVER! Also their Tortilla Soup is out of this world!!!Special Features:
- Great brunchBHH2VIPDined on 9/13/2014The prices at brunch are a bit better than their dinner fare, but everything was delicious. I will say, it was quite load, almost painfully so at some points. Still a very worth while choice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great local spotDaveDined on 9/1/2014This was our first time and we will definely be back. All the food was flavorful and more interesting than your typical Mexican. Guacamole was excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FondaTiggerDined on 8/6/2014Great REAL MEXICAN FOOD, if your looking for Tex-Mex and burritos don't waste your time coming. This is for a really good dinner and drinks. Romantic, great for 1st dates or for a couple on there regular date night out. Wide variety of dishes (meat,fish and shellfish) and appetizers, save room for dessert or at less share it at the table.Special Features:
- The following 233 reviews are from the Fonda - Brooklyn reviews archive.
- Delicious and great outdoor seatingjennkayVIPDined on 7/19/2014The food was all amazing. We ate on the outdoor patio and loved looking up at the brick apartments. Service was friendly but slow for our party of four. The couple that came in with us was eating and gone before we got our appetizers so it was inconsistent, but I'd wait forever for the homemade tortillas which were fantastic. Everything we ordered was spot on and worth having again.Special Features:
- Fonda Park SlopeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/11/2014Drinks and food were excellent. Hostess was a bit odd. Had a reservation, restaurant not very full. Many available seats in the front, near and in the window. She choose to seat us at table in the back near the kitchen. We of course asked if we could sit in the window and she did seat us there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DianneDined on 7/8/2014We used a gift cert, so decided to go for dinner. The outside could have used a bit more grooming, but otherwise it was nice ambiance. I don't like spicy food and just about everything on the menu had a kick. The waiter was extremely accommodating and said he'd tell the chef to leave off the "heat"...but that left me with a plain grilled steak and some shriveled string beans (even the rice and beans had heat). The guacamole was AMAZING and the plaintains were delicious as well. Overall, this is a nice place, but I wish they'd put a few more things on the menu for people don't like spicy food...that would be ideal for me!! All in all, I'd still go back but most likely for margaritas and appetizers - the guac and plaintains for me!Special Features:
- Just okOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/5/2014The guy at the door was nice. Service is not good. It's a shame places don't know hospitality. Were your guest treat us like kings. We sit down greet us say hi. Thanks for coming how are you? Ask if we want a drink suggest something make us feel welcomed. Not like a stranger. Treat us like you want to be treated. Be kind and make us have a experience. Follow that and you will have more people coming. Trust me.
- Terrific first visit!OpenTable Diner Since 2000VIPDined on 7/4/2014Three friends, one Park Slope couple with more than 30 years in the neighborhood, one visiting, former Park Sloper of eight years, trying the relatively new Fonda. Service excellent and helpful --!allowed us to have dinner at just the right pace. Food excellent -- prepare for delightful spice. Looking forward to next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food always good!MariamechiDined on 7/2/2014So far the only Mezican restaurant where I can eat Nopal Salad! The food is always fresh and nicely prepared. Chef Roberto Santibañez was at the restaurant the day we dined there. He took care of every Detail and mese sure his clientes were Happy and satisfied w the service! I keep going, never had a bad meal there!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Modern Mexican DeliciousnessAndynyc646VIPDined on 6/20/2014This is one of our fav restaurants on 7th Ave in Park Slope. Everything is tasty and the energy is festive. Can't wait to try their Mexican casual bites place, Boqueria, across the street!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious Father's DayLeffertsgardenmamaDined on 6/15/2014Just what we were looking for--amazing Mexican food within walking distance from our house. I have to say it's been the best Mexican dining we've had in Brooklyn. The staff was friendly. We ordered a few appetizers and margaritas and for the entrees we had the Chicken Norteno and Chile Rellenos. All equally delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- consistantly greatdoschalupasDined on 6/14/2014As a native of southern Texas, this is one of the only Mexican restaurants I visit in NY. The food is consistently great and the bar tenders make a great michelada and margarita. I enjoy getting a drink across the street at La Botaneria, sister bar/tapas restaurant before meeting up with friends for dinner.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/13/2014Fonda has a relaxed feel, great cocktails, friendly and professional service and delicious food. It's a fun place for a group, big or small.Special Features:
- Never Disappoints!BrooklynShaynaDined on 6/9/2014We have been to Fonda a handful of times and every time we go we fall more in love with the food. The sauces are so good you could drink them! The restaurant is always energetic, the service is always spot on. The guacamole is not to be missed!Special Features:
- Great appetizer, good food, noisyNewatthisDined on 5/28/2014Great appitizers, good food but noisy! Was nice bar seen but very hard to have a conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BrilliantClancyBDined on 5/28/2014Everything was brilliant. We had guests for overseas and they loved it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fonda BrooklynEsticDined on 5/25/2014Not your typical mexican food place. We have been here a few times before. Make sure you have a reservation, this place books up quickly and you will either wait forever or not get seated at all. The food is delicious! The drinks are delicious! This is a place you want to go to for a special occasion or just a nice night out.Special Features:
- tastysmp430Dined on 5/17/2014I recommend the food is very good. I highly recommend making reservations because the place gets packed my only downside is I find it to be a little pricy for Mexican food overall food is good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We love Fonda!ozjazzDined on 5/16/2014We've been to Fonda for happy hour, romantic dinners, group birthday dinners - my fave is to go for a late night meal, just the two of us! The chipotle sauce they serve with the guac is the best and our favourite drink is the rosalita!Special Features:
- Always great!almin1204VIPDined on 5/14/2014I'm a regular at Fonda and always a good experience. This time though, food was quite salty. Also, there was a long wait for the entrees but overall it was great! Waiter Luis was wonderful!Special Features:
- Great Happy HourGreatDined on 5/11/2014Came to Fonda for Happy Hour a few times and recently for brunch. It was great but service was slow, I still recommendSpecial Features:
- the Hazelnut Mole is Delicioso!DsgnXdirectnDined on 5/10/2014Only wish there were more options for kids, given that Park Slope is kid-central... Other than that, it was fantastic, a real treat!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellentfoodienerdDined on 5/5/2014Everything was superb! Well worth the $$ spent. My mouth is watering thinking about it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JohnnyDined on 5/5/2014The food was great! I am planning to visit the restaurant again.Special Features:
- Delicious Mexican Food with FlairTC4BKDined on 5/5/2014I'm not talking 'Office Space' kind of flair here, I'm talking about the dishes themselves. They are extraordinary, and anything you find that pleases your palate is sure to be a success. They change the food menu on a somewhat regular basis (I would say I go 4-6 times a year), and offer nightly specials including a special drink and their dessert choice. Their drinks also are something to rave about - very creative margaritas and brunch mimosas. The sangria has also been very good when I've tried it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/4/2014Service was extremely slow -- even after it was pointed out to, and acknowledged by, the waiter. A manager never approached the table. And, the server did not suggest ANY compensation for our incredibly long wait for food. VERY disappointing!
- Delicious foodSchehrezadeDined on 5/2/2014I'm from California originally. this is extremely good sitdown restaurant style Mexican food. It's expensive but it's for the overall experience, the ambience and the serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fonda is awesome!! Great brunch!IlovebrunchnycDined on 4/19/2014Great for brunch and has a garden! Food and margaritas are tasty and service is excellent!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love Fonda!brooklyngreenDined on 4/13/2014Fonda is my favorite restaurant in the neighborhood, and one of my favorites in the city. The food is excellent and so is the service. And I love to sit outside when the weather is nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice spotBrooklyn77Dined on 4/12/2014It was my birthday,my girlfriends and I choose this place because of the great margaritas. The margaritas were great, I had more than my share. The place is much smaller than I thought but nice. The food had mixed reviews at my table some of us loved and others thought it was just ok,I have the shirmp over spicy rice and really enjoyed. We did have to wait an hour for our table even though we had reservations but the manager was ver nice about it and we received two rounds of complimentry drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Over the top generosityOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/29/2014We had 8m reservations on Saturday night. The place was hopping. About 15 minutes after we were supposed to be seated, the maître d', Chris, approached us. He apologized for the wait, and told us the realistic time we had to wait was another 20 minutes. He offered to walk us across the street to have a drink and appetizers ON THE HOUSE at Fonda's sister tapas bar. I cannot express how lovely the experience was, how kind the servers were and how delicious the food was. And thank you Chris for making this an experience to remember.I would recommend this to a friend.
- St Patrick's Day weekend BrunchAnnieEatsDined on 3/16/2014Wow. Our waiter was lively and cheerful. Completely engaged in our service and, as we were seated by the window, we had a lovely view of the seemingly impromptu Brooklyn St. Patrick's Day parade. We loved it. It is a fairly small establishment so dear god MAKE reservations. They're a bit dickish about it at times. But the food is worth it and they have some tasty drinks on their pre fixe unlimited booze brunch. Expect 3 drinks. No more. They keep it classy here.Special Features: