1537 S. 11th St
Philadelphia, PA 19147Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.fondphilly.com/
- Phone: 2155515000x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Friday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Sunday: 2:00pm-8:00pm, not regular menu, only small plates and one rustic entree.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Global, International, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Lee Styer
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, BYO Liquor, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Please call to discuss and schedule.
Sunday and Monday may be available for private events.
- Private Party Contact: Tory K. 2155515000x
- Special Events: Fond offers a private "Chefs Table Room' located in front of the kitchen, This table holds up to 12 people.
A word from Fond
Fond is a Contemporary American Restaurant, with eclectic flavors & fresh, seasonal ingredients. Run by three friends, guests can expect to feel welcome & relaxed. We now offer a full bar as well as a wine and beer list. We offer BYOB from Tuesday to Thursday, with corkage fee on Friday, Saturday and special holidays. We are located on bustling East Passyunk Avenue in South Philadelphia. Come join Fond for happy hour, every Tuesday thru Friday from 5:30-7:00, BAR ONLY. Fond also has chef's tables that seat 10, that oversee our kitchen where Chef Lee Styer will demonstrate his cooking.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Fond reviews from OpenTable diners
99 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (85)neighborhood gem (73)special occasion (56)romantic (39)hot spot (22)notable wine list (22)great for outdoor dining (14)vibrant bar scene (10)late-night find (10)good for groups (10)scenic view (6)kid-friendly (5)great for brunch (3)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Great experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/21/2014Had the 5 course tasting and loved it. 4 of the 5 courses were amazing while 1 was very good. Wasn't crazy about the rock shrimp ceveiche but it wasn't bad. The service was attentive and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experience.Foodie1017Dined on 10/18/2014The service was perfect. The food was great, chicken was deliciousSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still impressedgrace215Dined on 10/18/2014Fond has been consistently spectacular for several years now. I hope they continue to be for many years to come. The first time I went I got the chef's tasting menu, and now that's the only thing I like to order. It's a way to share a wonderful meal full of surprises for those who love food. I was really happy to finally get a chance to share it this time with my boyfriend.Special Features:
- SuperbSweetOnion38Dined on 10/16/2014Had been meaning to eat at Fond for way too long. It was well worth the wait. You can taste the care and love put in to each dish. The food was just spectacular. Will definitely be back sooner rather than later.Special Features:
- Lived up to recommendationsJemmasadieDined on 10/9/2014Food was fantastic, small concise menu with some decadent dishes in each course. Reasonable wine list and crafty cocktails. Service was on point and it was great to have a regular sitting next to us and making recommendations. Cozy place so large groups will probably be a little issue if not reserved. Seared foie was amazing, as was the pork belly and salmon dishes. Will happily go back again.Special Features:
- A GRAND EXPERIANCEcal1dineVIPDined on 10/8/2014THE OTHER NIGHT AT FOND IT WAS TRULY A GRAND EXPERIANCE. FROM THE TIME WE SAT AT THE BAR WHERE THE DRINKS WERE EXCELLENT. TO THE FOOD THAT WAS CRAZY GREAT. WITH OUT A DOUBT THE BEST OF THE BEST!!!!!!!!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- THE BEST OF THE BESTcal1dineVIPDined on 10/3/2014WHEN I SAY THE BEST OF THE BEST I MEAN THE BEST OF THE BEST. LAST NIGHT AT THE BANGING FOND RESTAURANT CHEF LEE WAS ON FIRE. THE FOOD OVER THE TOP AND THE SERICE WAS ROCK AND ROLL. ONCE AT THE BAR I HAD A GRAND MARTINI AND NOW LETS TALK FOOD 1ST WAS THE BANGING TRIPE GRATIN,2ND WAS THE DUCK TENDERLOIN FRICCASEE-AMAZING,3RD WAS THE GREEK STYLE ESCARGOT THE FINEST PLEASE,4TH WAS THE FOIE GRAS LIKE BUTTER IN YOUR MOUTH,AND FINALLY WAS THE DUCK CONFIT NOW EVERYONE OF THESE DISHES WERE THE FINEST AND VERY HIGHEND PLEASE. THIS RESTAURANT I JUST CANT SAY ENOUGH ABOUT BECAUSE OF THE FINEST FOOD AND THE FINEST SERVICE. CHEF LEE THANKYOU SO MUCH AND YOUR BANGING TEAM FOR MAKING MY FRIDAY NIGHT IN THE CITY OF PHILA A TRUE GRAND DINNING EXPERIANCE!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RippVIPDined on 10/1/2014Impressive combination of tasty, perfectly prepared food and impeccable service. Fond certainly is one of Philadelphia's best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PsalernoDined on 9/27/2014The food was delicous. Service was good and even though the restaurant is small - it had ambiance. I would definitely return.Special Features:
- Fabulous FondOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/24/2014We had been wanting to go for some time, but impossible on weekends. It was still full at mid-week. Wonderful food and warm, engaging service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Chef and Great FoodLovehisfoodDined on 9/24/2014Chef Styer is an incredible artist. His creations and use of fresh produce have been very unique. Updated menu provide the guest with a great experience. Tory and his waitstaff are very knowledgeable, which makes it an overall great evening. Jessie's desserts are also excellent.Special Features:
- Great serviceBellsDined on 9/18/2014The service at the restaurant was excellent. Our waiter was thoughtful and took very good care of us. However, the food was lackluster. It's not that it was bad, it's just that it was very expensive and I expected a little bit more Quality for the priceSpecial Features:
- Fond of Fondluv2eatVIPDined on 9/9/2014Our third experience at Fond lived up to our expectations. The veal terrine appetizer special had layers of veal, provolone and broccoli rabe, with a crispy top, in a red blush sauce. It was delicious beyond description. The entrees were equally excellent. My hanger steak, prepared medium rare, was tender and well seasoned. The scallops were cooked to perfection and accompanied by vegetables just crunchy enough to complement the tenderness of the scallops. Each plate was artistically presented. Dessert and cappuccino topped off a wonderful meal. Our waiter was friendly and so knowledgeable. He made our evening relaxing and enjoyable. Can't wait to return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous experienceJuleDined on 9/5/2014Food was amazing! Our waiter, G (Miguel), made excellent recommendations. Started with a glass of Lavender Blanc. Amazing heirloom tomato salad, scallops and pork belly--perfectly cooked and nice portions. Finished the meal with a peanut butter and chocolate ganache desert topped with peanut brittle. One of the best meals I have had. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousthehappylocalVIPDined on 9/2/2014The shrimp ceviche was so delicious I was tempted to lick the plate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!smith182Dined on 8/30/2014Amazing, one of the best dining experiences we've had in Philly. Our waiter was excellent, the perfect combination of friendly and helpful, but not overbearing.The food was incredible, we especially loved the pork belly, skate wing, and the chocolate mousse dessert. We will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Meal of 2014nonnaVIPDined on 8/26/2014Our small group of 6 ate in the back room adjacent to the kitchen. It felt very private despite the comings and goings of the staff filling their orders. Each of the first courses and entrees was exceptional. I highly recommend the restaurant to anyone lucky enough to own a car since its location on Tasker Street isn;t especially helped by SEPTA.Special Features:
- Fond - perfect except for...Eat2LiveVIPDined on 8/21/2014I would rate this restaurant as perfect EXCEPT for the noise level - WAY too loud. Thank goodness there's no background music. It helped, but not enough. The food is exquisite but the ambience is really marred by the noise levelSpecial Features:
- Certainly NOT better than expectedSteevoDined on 8/2/2014Waitress seemed very disinterested. She described the "specials" but never mentioned the 5-course, 7-course or Chef Tastings options. She seemed annoyed when we asked about them. the servers that brought bread and the entrees were very nice and excellent. Oyster appetizer - good. “Caesar” Grilled Haricots Verts appetizer - disappointing. It was 10 green beans with a Caesar dressing and a pile of arugula. A small tasting of mushroom soup was a bit salty. Have been to similar restaurants with regards to price and setting which have been much better. Mahi mahi was a bit overcooked and nothing special. Pork belly was good but sides were lacking creativitySpecial Features:
- A good spotBonvivantDined on 8/2/2014Everything is fine here, the surrounding neighborhood and dining room were pleasant, the service very good, and the food good. I can't say the food was outstanding but it was good. As a fan of seasonal foods, I wish the menu had been more summery in theme and flavor. I would go here again.Special Features:
- excellentcitytrotDined on 8/1/2014Food and service were both amazing. No complaints whatsoever.
- Loved itOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/29/2014Went for my birthday. Food was spectacular (esp the scallops) and service was noticeably nice. BYOB helps with high entree prices, but it's worth it. They're clearly committed to the entire experience. Much recommendedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ready2dineVIPDined on 7/29/2014fabulous dinner. the food was superb. I love skate wing and this was probably the best I have ever had.Special Features:
- centercitygalVIPDined on 7/24/2014Once again, we had an outstanding dinner at Fond. It is definitely one of Philadelphia's best restaurants.Special Features:
- THE BEST OF PHILA!!!!cal1dineVIPDined on 7/22/2014THIS WAS MY FIRST TIME DINNING AT FOND RESTAURANT PHILADELPHIA AND LET ME TELL YOU THE BEST OF PHILA!!! FROM THE START AT THE BAR WHERE THE DRINKS WERE FLOWING AND VERY WELL SERVED. TO THE AMAZING AMBIENCE OF THIS VERY WONDERFUL RESTAURANT. NOW LETS TALK FOOD THE ONLY WORD I CAN SAY IS BANGING!!!!!! THE 1ST COURSE WAS THE AMAZING FOIE GRAS DUMPLING,2ND WAS THE CHICKEN LIVER MOUSE, 3RD WAS THE SEARED FOIE GRAS,4TH WAS THE SEARED SCALLOPS,4TH WAS THE ICELANDIC CODE, AND FINALLY 5TH WAS THE MAHI MAHI. EVERONE OF THESE DISHES WERE OF THE GRANDEST OVER THE TOP BANGING. NOW LETS TOUCH ON SERVICE ON THE MONEY CANT GET ANY BETTER. CHEF LEE AND TEAM FOND THANK YOU FOR ONE OF THE FINEST DINNING EXPERIANCES EVER IN MY LIFE BIG TIME YOU ARE THE BEST!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best restaurant all year.SethVIPDined on 7/18/2014My wife and I have been working our way through the Eater38 and this is by far the best restaurant we have eaten at all year. Ordinarily I would keep such good things to myself but this place is just too good not to have a wide audience.Special Features:
- One of the best in PhillyfoodismyhusbandDined on 7/18/2014My mother and I made the decision to dine at Fond and we're so glad that we did. First of all, the service was impeccable, never missing a beat. Our water glasses were never empty. Our plates were always full. A new slice of delicious olive bread (baked by the chef's wife) was offered immediately after we finished the last one. They make you feel like royalty. The food is phenomenal. My mom had the cod with risotto, which she loved. It was perfectly cooked. I ordered the seared foie gras and the pork belly. The foie was lush, velvety and looked absolutely beautiful on the plate. The pork belly is one of the best pork dishes I've ever had, and simply one of the best dishes this city has to offer. Next time you're in S. Philly, dine at Fond.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always excellentAIpandaDined on 7/15/2014Been here a handful of times this past year and always had a wonderful experience. The staff's great and the patrons are friendly too! Excellent pork belly, skate, and dessert! My sister loved the risotto here. They tend to be busy so reservation recommended.Special Features:
- Excellent ExperienceFoodLoverVIPDined on 7/12/2014Four adults plus one baby had a great evening. Staff could not be more accomodating, friendly or helpful AAA+++. Food was delicious, unusual with generous portions at fair prices. Not too noisy, tables reasonably spaced for a small restaurant. Overall a very special experience...a restaurant where it all comes together.Special Features:
- Great little spotJosh1kVIPDined on 7/9/2014The deco was classic and stylish. The service was impeccable and the food was awesome. Good, tight wine list with great cocktails and BYO option on weeknights! Overall a great little restaurant in South Philly.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2000VIPDined on 7/8/2014Went for my birthday and it was a truly special meal! Would highly recommend!Special Features:
- Very GoodMattVIPDined on 7/2/2014It was excellent. Smaller portions, but excellent quality.
- Name Appropriate!pepper35Dined on 7/2/2014We loved it! I would recommend this place to friends and happily take out of town visitors here in a heartbeat! Happy to live in the neighborhood and have a place like this where people think they need to go to Center City! One of the best meals we have had in the city!Special Features:
- largreenVIPDined on 7/2/2014Great food, service and energy. Special wine service/BYOB option. Go to this polace!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PennFacultyVIPDined on 6/26/2014The food was excellent. We had the cod which was superb.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 703 reviews are from the Fond reviews archive.
- FOND is Fondtastic!JDBphillyVIPDined on 6/24/2014From beginning to end the experience was wonderful. We started w/ some great olive & sourdough breads served by "G". We decided on the 5-course tasting menu which included Tuna crudo w/ mango, jicama and delicious plantain chips; seared scallops w/ asparagus and an incredible sauce gribiche; Skate Wing w/ gnocchi & spring vegetables in a feta sauce; Cod; Pork Belly…. Each course was presented with excellent service and the tastes exploded the palate. Dessert – you have to go and experience yourself! The chefs & entire staff treat you like a star!!Special Features:
- A Pleasant EveningPrinceVIPDined on 6/21/2014The food and its presentation are excellent. The menu is limited, however, and that is a shame. This is explainable when one considers the depth of culinary skills necessary for what is presented. They have added more nightly specials as a partial remedy for this situation. Companion to the fine dining selections is the attentive and knowledgable service. Every possible want/need was taken care of without having to ask. This is a place to go and to enjoy.Special Features:
- HookedOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 6/20/2014If you are truly objective, you cannot dine here without being impressed. Start with one of the tasting menus and you will be completely hooked, as we are.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful dining experience!CookEVIPDined on 6/19/2014It was our 20th wedding anniversary - and Fond had the Chef Table all set up, just for us! We had a great view of the kitchen and Chef doing their magic. It was as if we were the only ones there - in our own private dining room. Just wonderful and very romantic. The seared fois gras was magical - velvety and sensual. The cod was deliciously prepared, and the skate also really nice. We'll be backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fond -tastic meal !LuvaGoodMealDined on 6/14/2014We had a wonderful experience at Fond. The staff took very good care of us and made our anniversary dinner quite memorable. After a cocktail we chose the 7 course tasting menu and had a luxurious 2 hour meal. (we were able to substitute an item with no issue) Portions were just right as we were quite full after dessert. I recommend that you take advantage of the BYOB aspect, the corkage fee is only $10 per bottle. Made our reservation on OpenTable and noted that it was our anniversary. They acknowledged that with dessert by writing "Happy Anniversary" in chocolate on each of our plates, it shows that they read the comments and that they chose to act on it in their own way. Thoughtful enough for us. Highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features: