1300 Battery Street
San Francisco, CA 94111Neighborhood:
Financial District / Embarcadero
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.fogcitysf.com/
- Phone: 4159822000x
- Hours of Operation:
11:30am - 10:00pm
(Friday & Saturday we're open until 11:00pm)
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Californian
- Executive Chef: Bruce Hill
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from FOG CITY
This iconic San Francisco restaurant reopened in September 2013, heralding the return of a beautiful destination for modern, eclectic cuisine and cocktails along the City’s Embarcadero. At the helm is renowned chef and owner Bruce Hill. The landmark Fog City Diner, which first opened in 1985, was completely re-imagined by chef Hill and the restaurant’s founders. Maintaining the energy and spirit of the beloved original, this new incarnation offers innovative menus in a sophisticated, warm and open environment. Join us for lunch and dinner seven nights a week, an afternoon cocktail, or weekend brunch. If your reservation time is unavailable, please give us a call so we can better inform you of additional booking options.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
FOG CITY reviews from OpenTable diners
256 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (128)neighborhood gem (98)scenic view (75)great for lunch (72)vibrant bar scene (63)good for groups (62)special occasion (51)hot spot (45)great for brunch (39)notable wine list (29)kid-friendly (27)romantic (25)late-night find (21)great for outdoor dining (20)Show More
- Winner winner, Chicken dinner!Delish83VIPDined on 8/30/2014The chicken is the best thing on the menu. They roast it in this oven to perfection. Actually that wood burning open oven is the heart of the flavor of all the items on the menu. Even the broccoli is charred with a certain taste, soooo good. We also had the deviled eggs, the fall off the bone ribs, delish, and the tuna tartar. Everything was great!! Always a good experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A hit as alwaysLileesDined on 8/30/2014We had a family birthday dinner here for a party of 7. We were greeted warmly and courteously and seated quickly. Our waitperson was all that she should be – just attentive enough, and not too much. The appetizers were excellent – crab cakes, the fries were to die for, salads, and oysters – just briny and crunchy enough. I have to say that we would rather dress our oysters ourselves and not have them arrive prepared already. Having the hot sauce on the front end can be shocking to your throat. The whole chicken is amazingly prepared. We had 3 of those – everyone wanted chicken this time and one steak. We can't get enough of it. The evening did not disappoint.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Definitely not a Diner.....dougefreshVIPDined on 8/29/2014Gotta check this place out when you are in San Fran. Had not been in almost 20 years, and was a little nervous based on some of the reviews. Glad we stuck with our res, as Fog City did not disappoint at all. The chicken is a must and definitely shareable. Ribs fell off the bone and were paired very well with a slaw. Started off with amazing fries and fantastic calamari. Start with Grandpa's breakfast! And, ask for Tobias!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- needs a new chefOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 8/29/2014had about six appetizers and all of them were wretched - worst meal i've had for a long time - fog city used to have good food but no longer!!Special Features:
- Always a favorite!OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/26/2014I always try to make it to Fog City every time I visit San Francisco. The food never disappoints, and this last visit was no exception. Do try the lamb skewers. I'm also a fan of the ribs and the pork chops. Oysters are a perfect starter.Special Features:
- It's Clear to SeamusicdocVIPDined on 8/25/2014What a great meal we had at the Fog City restaurant, despite the fact that everyone seems to still call it by the name the location had for almost 30 years - Fog City Diner. No longer a diner, the food and ambiance stand on their own and owe much less to their heritage. This is the kind of place that makes you wish you lived a lot closer! Each dish had a distinct identity, and flavors truly "popped". The chef clearly has a keen idea of what ingredients go well with each other. Way above average food in a comfortable, energetic, upbeat location with glass windows all around the exterior that add the wow factor. Fog City will be on our list every trip to SF.Special Features:
- SolidinthefogDined on 8/25/2014Second time. Solid menu - Whole chicken is delicious. Food is as described, fresh, well executed and tasty. Attention to detail without pretense. Great beer, wine and cocktail menu, too. Love the paloma! Surprisingly accommodating and attentive to children (10 and 13 with us) Parking is plentiful and cheap at meters after 7, at least on weekdays.Special Features:
- Great menu, great locationASHCADined on 8/25/2014Wonderful updated menu form Fog City Diner days. Crab cakes and lamb were fabulous. Burger a bit overdresses and soggy, but good quality beef and cheese. Nice casual ambiance, convenient locationSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What's old is new again.OurAnnualWeekInNewportVIPDined on 8/22/2014Visited what was Fog City Diner several times in the early '90's. Looked it up again as I was planning another trip to San Francisco and read about all the changes. They did a great job. More glass, more open design, the wood burning grills are great and an awesome bar layout. We went for lunch, following a tour of Alcatraz. I had the signature burger and it was excellent. All of our dishes were very good, even the dessert we split three ways - a warm donut with a scoop of ice cream on top and this incredible sauce. I'm sure I will be back. We then took the stairs all the way up to Coit Tower and back. Quite a hike - straight up.Special Features:
- Better than I expectedChuckDined on 8/21/2014I have been to San Francisco many times and had heard about the Fog City Diner many times, but was reluctant to try it. I'm sorry I waited so long. The food, the atmosphere, the service were all fantastic. The menu is something eclectic, we had kimchi tacos, grilled calamari and chicken each with a little twist and the chicken just homey fantastic. Desert was a surprise with a fresh cruller and daily custard. Our waitress was very helpful with any questions we had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great casual foodSewbusy17VIPDined on 8/19/2014Definitely order the roast chicken. It is to die for! Our waiter Tobias was excellent. Great recommendations and service. A nice cozy casual night outSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing find in the city!CjboganDined on 8/18/2014Incredible food and top notch service. We will definitely be going back on our next visit to the city!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fog City - A Win!KathyDined on 8/16/2014My daughter and I decided to make a trip to SF for dinner (and to see the new Bay Bridge since she was asleep on our last trip). I frequented the old Fog City Diner when I lived in SF years ago. The transformation is awesome and the aromas from the grill make you want to try it all! The food selections were very contemporary with lots of choices that I would not try at home...and they were all delicious. I especially commend them for the wild boar ribs which were well done to perfection yet still tender and juicy with spices that brought out the best in the flavor of the meat...outstanding! The service was above exceptional!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PattyDined on 8/16/2014THANK YOU FOG CITY FOR SUCH A NICE DINING EXPERIENCE!! Service was wonderfulSpecial Features:
- A Visit to SF must include Fog CityOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/16/2014If you come to San Francisco, you MUST go to Fog City. Best food ever and I even had the bartender, Abraham, make me the BEST pepper drink I have EVER had!! I will go back there as often as I can and I know I will not ever be disappointed. When I have visitors come and visit me, I will make sure I take them there as well. It is perfectly situated near the water so after or before dining you can take a stroll and enjoy the beautiful area! Not far from the Exploratorium!! This is a MUST!!Special Features:
- Great Food and ServiceDionysusDined on 8/16/2014We hadn't been to Fog City in years and decided to go there after a Giants game. We had no trouble getting an early table. Server Brittany was charming, funny and attentive. The Japanese seasoned fries were delicious. The grilled corn was easily the best corn dish ever. The wild boar ribs were fall off the bone tender (seriously) and done in a confit style that made them sinfully scrumptious. The wine list had good choices, but was not wine-country good. Fog City now goes on my list of SF favorites.Special Features:
- Dining the way it should be.JAXfromRIDined on 8/14/2014Not at all disappointed with the fog city diner at all. The service was excellent and they aim to make your experience enjoyable. Was not sure if I would like a certain beer and was told that if I didn't I wouldn't have to pay for it. The fish of the day was swordfish and it was outstanding. Relaxed atmosphere and no complaints at all. Great pick.Special Features:
- Highly RecommendMellDined on 8/13/2014Great food. Our waiter was very attentive. Don't miss dessert. The custard is outstanding. If you want a quiet table, ask to sit in the back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Redo is a Big DisappointmentOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 8/13/2014The flavor, character and energy of the original Fog City Diner has been stripped away. We went with low expectations and were still unmoved by the food and ambiance. Service was decent but it feels like a corporate-owned expense account restaurant. Won't be back.
- Nice!PatrickWilliamVIPDined on 8/12/2014Love the lamb skewers! Took six work associates out and had a great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- cometVIPDined on 8/11/2014just not a fan of this restaurant after two visits. service is efficient but not very friendly or helpful. the kale salad is still bland and the chicken salad was seriously lacking in chicken - i don't think there was a full ounce of protein in this dish. bright spot was the tomato salad and grilled calamari - looked good and my guests seemed to enjoy them.
- returntripVIPDined on 8/8/2014Really nice lunch spot for a business meeting. Will come backSpecial Features:
- Hoped for morePaizDined on 8/3/2014We were a party of five for lunch last Sunday and enjoyed our experience. The Sesame Chicken Salad was very good as was the smoked salmon plate. I had the grilled calamari small plate and the roasted beets and feel like they really missed the mark. The calamari itself was good and cooked perfectly, but not a lot of it for a $15 plate. The pickled Fresno Chiles did not taste at all pickled. The fried summer squash was good but I wasn't sure what I was eating until I looked at the menu to remind me. The remoulade sauce was good, but there was way too much of it and it detracted from the overall dish.The beet dish was fine, but definitely screaming for some flavor. A pinch of sea salt or champagne vinegar would have done the trick.Special Features:
- Stylish restaurantjoanieDined on 7/30/2014Not a touristy spot sophisticated locals Wonderful creative menu food delicious and healthy choices Extremely nice staff good serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love Fog City!Shops4ValueDined on 7/30/2014Fog City is a great place to take friends or clients. Our server was attentive and went to extra lengths to answer our questions, even though he was very busy. The food is fabulous! We will go there again many times!Special Features:
- A little noisy, but awesome foodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/29/2014Menu was great, with lots of appetizers choices. Food was great, but maybe a little over-priced. I wouldn't go here on a weekly basis, but would be great for special occasions. Also, it's not romantic or intimate, pretty noisy at peak dinner hour.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, lively vibeWeekenderDined on 7/25/2014We had an excellent dinner at Fog City. We were visitors to SF, and had been directed to some restaurants with solid but disappointingly un imaginative food. We stumbled into this one by chance, close to the ferry building. Wonderful food, great desserts, excellent (but not overwhelming) wine by the glass selection for me, beer for my dinner partner. It is a noisy energetic atmosphere, as others have noted. One can dine on small plates or entrees, but whatever you do, save room for dessert. Service was very good.Special Features:
- A great taste of the bayBoston2SFDined on 7/24/2014Grabbed some awesome oysters at a great deal ($1.50 until 6pm) in addition to their grilled calamari. Both home runs. These apps were complimented nicely by some specialty cocktails. A great spot for a sunny day and one of few great spots in the area for those of us who work near Levi Plaza. I highly recommend it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bring back the diner!HungrygirlDined on 7/23/2014I was sad that the menu had changed so much. They needed to completely change the name. There is no Fog City in that restaurant. Everything is different, except the name. I was so sad to see that nothing of the former diner was there. I won't go back. The least they could do is put a couple of kid friendly items on the menu.
- Not the great restaurant it use 2 bIeatoutDined on 7/23/2014Was not very please with the menu. Had the smoke salmon open faced sandwich on rock hard stale bread, no flavor. It was perfect for an appetizer but a $17.00. Service was no up to par, as I had to kids with me and server felt like we were to much trouble. Also, $11.00 for a bloody mary that was maybe 8oz, but the time you add the 1 over sized ice cube it was 4oz. Their are way better restaurants in SF that is worth the moneySpecial Features:
- Superb diningAuntiejenDined on 7/21/2014It was our last night in San Francisco winding up a 2 week vacation. It was the perfect ending to a wonderful trip. Dinner was excellent beautifully presented and each mouthful was a delight.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This place was AWESOME!!OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 7/20/2014I have been to many, many places to eat in the city and this place had some of the best food I have ever had!! I couldn't even possibly list them all but our group stayed with the appetizers and soup and salad for our dinner. We tasted pretty much all of them and it was delicious. If you are a resident of the Bay Area (like I am) or a visitor to the City, YOU HAVE TO EAT HERE!!! You won't be sorry!!Special Features:
- Nothing specialLindaVIPDined on 7/19/2014Dinner on a Saturday night and it was 3/4 full. Wait staff needed basic training on how to serve and talk to customers. Over priced compared to others in the neighborhood, meaning you don't get what you pay for. No view, tables close together. No parking. Save your money and go to The Butterfly nearby on Embarcadero.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/19/2014I enjoyed the experience of being at Fog City but found the food mediocre at best. I should be bowled over after spending 100.00 for a lunch for 2! Sadly, not the case.
- FOG CITY IS STILL GREATMrBlueDined on 7/18/2014Having been to the fog city dinner many times we wondered how fog city would be. Well our 3rd visit there has us believing in their new venue. Food is excellent with excellent service in a buzzy atmosphere!!! This is not a place to visit if you are looking for a quiet evening out, but if you like some place alive then go!!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/16/2014This was the second time we ate at the "new Fog city Diner" and it was as good as the first We brought friends who have not been to Fog City in years and they thoroughly enjoyed our evening. We ate all small plates and enjoyed each and every one. The noise level would not have been bad but we happen to have some very noisy folks sitting in the book right next to us. Our waiter was spot on and the food was hot when it was supposed to be and cold appropriately. We will definitely return soon.Special Features:
- Great food & setting for good convoPashn4QltsDined on 7/16/2014Living nearby, we usually go here at night when it's more crowded than it was this weekday for lunch. Asked for and got a quiet booth, as this was a meant to be a long lunch with intimate conversation. Two of us shared 3 small plates and a main and a dessert, had coffees, & took our time. All delicious, gluten free/Paleo for me (except 2 bites of dairy & sugar dessert), and everything was perfectly beautiful and delicious! Expensive but worth it!Special Features:
- Like the remodelOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/15/2014Same great attitude but updated decor and food. Like the changes and will certainly be back for the lively bar scene.Special Features:
- Tasty but louddgfoodDined on 7/14/2014Very attentive service. Food was spot on for flavor sand presentation. The diner is very loud; not a place for meaningful conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fog City Clears the AirKingdaddyDined on 7/12/2014Without a doubt, the closing of Fog City Diner and subsequent transformation into Fog City is a very good thing. It's hard to believe you're in the same building. The room has become a window-lined arrowhead of great views, great food and attentive service. 7:15pm on a Saturday evening, our table was ready as promised with a full house of energetic diners, bar tenders and chefs, all in full view of each other. It's a dynamic, loud, delicious, friendly brew of eating and drinking. Did I mention it's a loud room? We spent 2 hours of drinking, eating and fairly yelling at our table and will do it again soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.