Fog City Diner
1300 Battery Street
San Francisco, CA 94111Neighborhood:
Financial District / Embarcadero
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Fog City Diner
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.fogcitydiner.com/
- Phone: 4159822000
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 11:30am - 10:00pm (continuous service); Friday: 11:30am - 11:00pm (continuous service); Saturday: 10:30am - 11:00pm (continuous service); Sunday: 10:30am - 10:00pm (continuous service)
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food, Californian
- Executive Chef: Philip Wang
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please call for details.
- Private Party Facilities: Please contact the restaurant for details.
- Private Party Contact: Scott McCoy 4159822000
A word from Fog City Diner
This is diner food, California style - comforting and exciting all at once, and well executed. Comfy black leather booths, a perky menu, and efficient waiters round out the picture. Situated at the end of Battery St. near the waterfront.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Fog City Diner reviews from OpenTable diners
- ery Good food of all typesdcdinerVIPDined on 11/27/2011ery Good food of all types for all ages in a great diner plus setting near the water. The perfect place to relax, eat well, enjoy fun company after too many lunches and dinner at foodie trendy (but delicious) restaurants in San Francisco. Wonderful service.Special Features:
- Has gone down hill. ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 1999VIPDined on 11/27/2011Has gone down hill. Service was rude. Food was marginal. Quiet and almost empty. Needs to be on Kitchen Nightmares.
- This resturant has becomePashapenelopeVIPDined on 11/26/2011This resturant has become a go-to spot for fmailies with very small children. Too much boise being created by childen who should be a Chuck-E-Cheese and not this once great resturant.Special Features:
- My sister and her husbandOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/19/2011My sister and her husband were visiting so we tried this place out (I'd heard of it, but never been there before); it was great - really good food, good atmosphere. Retro chic, like a 50's diner but not grubby, more like an old movie set - large booths, gleaming surfaces.Special Features:
- great menu. something forOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/19/2011great menu. something for everyone.pricesa are reasonable,especially for what you get.reminds me of Mustards in the napa valley(that started it)Special Features:
- Awesome atmosphere and evenjeaninemarieDined on 11/14/2011Awesome atmosphere and even more awesome food. Will definitely be back!Special Features:
- Have had Diner on list forOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/14/2011Have had Diner on list for many years and finally made it. Was all we had expected-great food, great location, and great service. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- Lousy service, bland foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/12/2011I would only go here for a drink. The service was horrible and my omelet was tasteless and rubbery. In a city of amazing food, this place does not come close to acceptable. I wouldn't eat there if it was in Amarillo!
- Started Slow but Came on StrongOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 11/12/2011We had a relatively large group (7) and after seating us, there was a ~20 minute delay until we began getting any attention. The manager was quick to recognize this and comped our small plate appetizers. After that, the service was excellent. All of the food we ordered was excellent--very tasty and well prepared. Special kudos for the crispy curried cauliflower, onion rings and chicken schnitzel, but everything was very good. As others have mentioned, the food is not your typical cheap diner food, but the portions are relatively large. We highly recommend and will go back again.
- The food at the "Fog" is inconsisteSFfoodieDined on 11/8/2011The food at the "Fog" is inconsistent. We had the tuna tartare (outstanding flavor, nicely presented) and the Samozas (very good - mango salsa wonderful flavor. The rib eye steak, however, was a real disappointment. flavorful, but full of fat and gristle.
- As always, a good solid standardOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 11/6/2011As always, a good solid standard for a yummy hearty dinner. We sat in our usual comfy booth and our French waitress tended to us nicely though I would say she was a little hard to understand when she described the nightly specials. We ordered the Salad Special, arugala and beets with a light sesame vinaigrette. I wouldn't say that it's a good place for veg folks but they had a good pasta dish that was thoroughly enjoyed and a delicious Cream of Vegetable soup with a chipotle flavor. I ordered the salmon which was spectacular. A juicy rib-eye with a side of blue cheese sauce and fries and a chicken cordon blueish was also ordered by two other diners. Dessert, kind of eh but we at it all. Overall dining experience was fantastic :)Special Features:
- I recently moved to the BayOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/6/2011I recently moved to the Bay Area and went to this restaurant simply because I'm a huge fan of the movie So I Married an Axe Murderer; a scene from the movie was filmed at the Fog City Diner. However, this place is more than just a novelty because the food is excellent, the service is great, and the ambiance is wonderful. Two huge bonuses are that there is no corkage fee on the first bottle of wine and there is a small plate menu. I love the latter because it allows one to try a variety of dishes while watching one's budget in a very expensive city.Special Features:
- Does Not Live Up to ReputationblueeyesDined on 11/5/2011Years back American Express did a commerical on Fog City diner. All the glitz and glamour and rave reviews made it the "in place" to dine on your next trip to San Francisco. While I had been to SF a couple of times prior to just last week being there, I was never able to dine at Fog City. This time I did and I was disappointed. While the food was good, the service was fair, no bread, salad or soup was offered with dinner and our server did not check back to see how we liked our meal or refill our ice teas. I would not recommend it to others, nor will I go back next I am in SF.
- My family was visiting fromstansfieldVIPDined on 11/4/2011My family was visiting from Arizona and they saw Fog City Diner on Guy Fieri, Diners, Drive-ins & Dives. We had not been to Fog City Diner for years so we took them there for dinner. We had a great evening and the food was excellent. The mac and cheese was "off the hook"!Special Features:
- Used to love Fog City yearsWallabyVIPDined on 11/2/2011Used to love Fog City years ago. Disappointed that food seemed heavy and a bit tired this time. But, crab cakes and apple slaw was great and service friendly. .Special Features:
- I was very disappointed inOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/29/2011I was very disappointed in this trip. I was really looking forward to this visit and now I'm not sure if I will return. The restaurant was fairly empty, but we felt rushed the entire time. My friend never got his drink refilled & though I made mention in our reservation about celebrating a birthday, nothing was ever said. That being said, the truffled french fries were fantastic!Special Features:
- Lots of character with veryRichDined on 10/23/2011Lots of character with very good food and service. Worth a visitSpecial Features:
- tables too small for partyaveragejoeDined on 10/23/2011tables too small for party of 6 waiter could have been a bit friendlier; other staff were fine
- Exceptional staff and management.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/22/2011Exceptional staff and management. Fulfilled our request for a less noisy table with skill and pronounces. Really like the no formate fee policy! This was our 10th time dining there and all was great. Highly recommended. Sid
- A Surprisingly Good Dining spot!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/21/2011This is a classic, the food is better than I expected, as I had heard that it can be a touristy spot. Took friends from out of town and it was totally fun and the food was very yummy!
- Chef working on new, one pageOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 10/19/2011Chef working on new, one page menu has developed a nice variety of choices - b.. eet salad delicious and fish special, halibut over a melange of vegetables very tasty Waitress from Paris extremely knowledgeable, helpful and attentive. A+ for the evening.Special Features:
- Best Dining Experience in SFOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/18/2011Superb ending to a great holiday in San Francisco, everything about the Fog City Diner was perfect. All 3 of us rated the food as the best we had the whole holiday. Top marks!!Special Features:
- wE ALWAYS HAVE A GREAT MEALbiggyDined on 10/18/2011wE ALWAYS HAVE A GREAT MEAL AT THE FOG CITY. BETH PROVIDED EXCELLENT TABLE SERVICE.Special Features:
- Very accommodating. ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/16/2011Very accommodating. Excellent service. Food and ambiance was very good. It is just a great place for dinner with family.Special Features:
- Met out of town friends thereboppiessDined on 10/16/2011Met out of town friends there - selected because it was easy for them to get to - none of us had cars so needed to be able to walk. I eat a plant based diet only so there wasn't much for me to select from - my salad was good and the omnivores seemed quite happy with the selection and taste. We had a lovely evening.
- Great menu. Hard to chooseOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 10/15/2011Great menu. Hard to choose from so many favorites.Special Features:
- food not as good as it usedKandCDined on 10/14/2011food not as good as it used to be 3-5 years ago - burger now too greasy and the Mac and cheese too salty (bring back the peas and ham as per the old recipe)
- I first saw a tv commercialOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/12/2011I first saw a tv commercial years ago for the Fogcity Diner ( an American Express commercial) and always wanted to eat there. After years of waiting to visit I was not disappointed. The food, atmosphere, waitstaff, wine list, beauty of the diner and the city itself was everything I was hoping for when I sat down to eat. Yummy, yummy, yummy Good food im my tummy.Special Features:
- The food used to be great,OpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 10/12/2011The food used to be great, then became poor to say the least. Now it is back to very good. The tuna tartare is awsome, The chicken satay is out of this world, the pork chop superb and the creme brulee awsome. wonderful service, great house wine, Wonderful ambience and afterward you can stroll through Levi Plaza which is so very beautiful.Special Features:
- We've been going to Fog CityOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/8/2011We've been going to Fog City since it opened...many years ago now. Some changes in the food...the variety of choices seems more limited and the quality of the dishes is a little less than it used to be. But it's still a good place. It has a very warm and friendly feel still. The night we went for dinner was unusually noisy tho'...it was fleet week and the Blue Angles had performed that day...maybe that's why. But the music was also very loud so it was hard to talk to each other. Not sure if that's normal now or not. It didn't used to be. We were there last within the past year for dinner and it wasn't like that. The service was great as always.Special Features:
- They obviously were not readyOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 10/8/2011They obviously were not ready for Fleet Week crowds.
- You only have time for one meal?OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/7/2011When waver we are in the city even if it's just for one meal it will be here. One of my favorite SF eateries.Special Features:
- Fog City Diner has been aOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/30/2011Fog City Diner has been a favorite in San Francisco for years, when we come to visit. The staff is warm and accomodating, the food is always excellent, and the atmosphere is cozy and unintimidating.Special Features:
- It's been a couple of yearsJohnnyDined on 9/27/2011It's been a couple of years since I dined at the FCD and Overall, the food was not as good as I had remembered it to be. The diner special (almond crusted halibut over crab mashed potatoes) was rather thin and over cooked. The hamburger my wife ordered was much better. Hopefully my disappointment is a one-time event.Special Features:
- Good food. Good value forOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 9/24/2011Good food. Good value for money. We had 8 items among 4 people - combination of small plates and big plates. Everything was good. The service was courteous and prompt. Far better than any diner I have ever been to.
- We went with a party of 10KitdznVIPDined on 9/24/2011We went with a party of 10 and had a wonderful dinner, lots of creative dishes on the menu provide something for everyone. We had great service reasonable prices and we thoroughly enjoyed the night. we will be backSpecial Features:
- Fast personable service.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/23/2011Fast personable service. Waitress anticipated all our needs. We never had to ask for anything. The food was very good too.Special Features:
- This was once my favoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/23/2011This was once my favorite little spot in San Francisco. Well, almost 20 years has gone by and time appears to have passed without much of a menu update. What was cutting edge is now commomplace and the menu really needs some freshening. I still have my fond memories of the old days, but we won't be making any new dining memories there.Special Features:
- I really enjoyed Fog CityfranknmooreVIPDined on 9/23/2011I really enjoyed Fog City Diner; we ate here with my visiting family before taking an Alcatraz Tour. Location was great and the food was excellent. We were running on a close schedule and the waitress was awesome - she had the food out quickly and was really gracious. We enjoyed Fog City Diner very much and would certainly go back.Special Features:
- Excellent service, food wasOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/22/2011Excellent service, food was wonderful. We had always driven by and had been wanting to stop in a eat and so finally we did. We would highly recommend it. Loved it, you will not be dissapointed.Special Features: