Flying Fish - DC
815 A King Street
Alexandria, VA 22314Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Flying Fish - DC
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.flyingfishdc.com/
- Phone: 7036003474
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Friday: 11:30am - 2:00pm, Saturday: 11:30am - 5:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Seafood
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Flying Fish - DC
The new Flying Fish Restaurant of Old Town Alexandria presents it"s concept: "Restaurant as Art". The Flying Fish was decorated eighteen months before it's grand opening February of 2005. All of the dining surfaces and several murals in the restaurant were tastefully painted by local fine artists with impressions of sea life, and "Great Moments".Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Flying Fish - DC reviews from OpenTable diners
19 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance3.5Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (8)neighborhood gem (7)special occasion (5)good for groups (5)romantic (4)hot spot (3)late-night find (2)great for lunch (2)kid-friendly (1)notable wine list (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Not ReturningOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 9/15/2014The food was excellent. It always has been. Usually, the service is great, too. Not this time. The short story is that the bill was incorrect and we were treated in a very condescending manner, culminating in a display of "eye rolling" on the part of our server. I'm not ever going back.Special Features:
- Sushi was AMAZING!LuvlyphDined on 8/15/2014Great sushi in Old Town. Drinks were great as was the service. Will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Sushi!JujuDined on 7/10/2014One of our fave neighborhood restaurants! Sushi fresh and expertly prepared plus small add'l food menu. Everything excellent here! Absolutely beautiful deco bar at which you can eat. Good drinks as well. Service friendly,helpful and prompt. This is a fairly small restaurant so not good for large groups--maybe 6-8 at most. Bar has high tables for two and we like eating there when there's just the two of us. We live close by and are fairly frequent diners there and have never been disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Horrible!!DisappointedDined on 7/5/2014Dirty silver and napkins, switched food-ordered Brussels sprouts but got broccoli. Was told that was all kitchen had. Dining mate ordered sushi, non-spicy, but came spicy. Was told that was how chef makes it. Jambalaya was described as having sausage, but came without it. Waiter said kitchen didn't have any tonight. Martini glass was half full. Was told I could pay for a double if I wanted it full. That is how they pour. Would definitely not recommend restaurant. On a good note, waiter was pleasant but was overwhelmed by kitchen.
- Great for sushiFoodielover1614Dined on 6/27/2014We went there to try sushi for the first time and we weren't disappointed! Our waiter was extreamly helpful in explaining some of the rolls and what he would recommend for trying sushi for the first time. Food was excellent. We're definitely going back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/8/2014We went to the Flying Fish - DC with some friends. This was our first visit. Our friends both had the Stuffed Jumbo Prawns. Overall the flavor was good but the jumbo prawns weren't much bigger than the shrimp on my wife's plate and the blue crab stuffing did have some lumps of crab in the breading. My wife had the Seafood Combo. It was very good with the exception that the half shell clams were "stuffed" with a bread mixture, which resulted in the clam itself being undercooked. I had the Escolar (first time). It was very good, though the flesh wasn't as firm as other tunas. Two complaints: the kitchen closed early without being announced, precluding ordering dessert, and the waitress didn't make decent recommendations for wine pairings.I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 217 reviews are from the Flying Fish - DC reviews archive.
- Flying Fish GroundedKeepItRealDined on 5/11/2014The FF had good food, and the waiter was ok except he should have brought the manager to our table after a long wait for the food. We had a toddler among the 5 of us. We had to ask for the appetizer and kids meal after a 20-min wait. No real meal for young toddlers. Repeated requests for meal brought answers only that the kitchen was busy, but the tables in our section were empty. We were fed up after the food arrived slightly more than an hour after we placed our order. The free wine with entree was terrible, and as was the recommended ale with one entree. The food was very good, jambalaya was spicy/tasty. The seafood entree of clams & mussels& more was good but lacked discernible taste of spices & portions were of good size. .
- Good but not greatFabulousVIPDined on 5/11/2014We ate at the sushi bar and the sushi chefs were very accommodating to special request. The fish was fresh, but the rolls were just ok, nothing great. I ordered yellow tail cheek, which was very good. I would have it again, but other than that we would probably go somewhere else. It was not bad, but nothing great either. We were pleased that they had Veuve Qlique by the bottle for reasonable restaurant price.
- nice dining experiencekkinvaDined on 5/10/2014Two of us dined there on an early Saturday evening. There were few diners there yet, so it was quiet and service was fast, efficient, and cordial. We started with a speciality maki roll (tuna/lime/cilantro). We were split on how we liked it - the flavor combination was unique for sushi because of the lime/cilantro addition. I thought it was refreshing for a warm evening. I had mahi mahi N'orleans style and my companion had the seafood combo platter. The N'orleans sauce for the mahi mahi did not suggest N'orleans at all and overpowered any blackening of the fish. I did not enjoy my dish and would suggest getting the sauce on the side. The seafood combo platter was very tasty.
- Birthday FitOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/12/2014Took my wife out for a semi casual dinner with three friends. We were happy with the overall experience. Our server was attentive and was interactive with the group.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Flying HighMarcelDined on 4/4/2014High quality seafood expertly prepared and beautifully presented. Flying Fish has been consistent over the years and is on our must visit list whenever in the D.C. Area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ambiance let down, decent foodGcdcDined on 2/15/2014The bar looks like the best area in the restaurant, but the rest has a cafe feel... Tile floors, weird stucco yellow walls, odd layout, outdated booths, and cafe style tables (although with artwork on them- albeit odd artwork for a sushi restaurant - sports scenes). The food was decent, as well as the price, but we expected something fancier. We were also a bit frustrated when the only available time on open table was 6:30 and we had to change our babysitter (earlier than planned). Then saw many (most) tables were open throughout our dinner up to the time we left.Special Features:
- Decent food, but kind of aOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 1/31/2014Decent food, but kind of a dive-bar atmosphere (but not in a good way). The food was OK - nothing wrong with the sushi, just nothing special. For the quality and atmosphere you got, it was overpriced.
- Not impressedZingerDined on 1/25/2014Food was subpar, ambiance was the same. Nothing special. Do not plan to go back.
- Highly underrated!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/24/2014I really like this place! The food is awesome to the say the least. I've been twice and both times were amazing.Special Features:
- Cute place, so-so foodTrinityVIPDined on 1/19/2014Went to Flying Fish with a group of 4. We all all ordered off of the entree menu, not the sushi menu. I was not impressed with the entrees, they lacked depth of flavor, but the fish was all very high quality. I have had sushi here before and it was good, so I recommend diners stick to sushi. Ambience and service were great and you get a free glass of wine or hot saki on Sunday nights!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- flying fishluvher74Dined on 1/4/2014This is a great cozy restaurant. Been here twice and have not been disappointed by the food. The noise level can be quite loud at times depending on the people you are sitting next to. Definitely tell the server to bring out the food as its ready, to keep from anything being cold. The karaoke is definitely fun, music lively, and if you are there to catch a game then there are enough tvs to go around.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This is a great neighborhoodyumcityDined on 12/26/2013This is a great neighborhood restaurant, and they did well to cater to our large party of 10 that included 5 kids. The service was attentive, and the food-for the most part-was tasty. The only exception, in my opinion, was the fried calamari. It was, unfortunately, tasteless.; a bit of salt would've made the difference. Our table ordered from the sushi bar and the kitchen, and everything came out timely. We also ordered wine from their wine menu, which was a decent selection. Overall, a very good experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Sushi!NapaloveswineVIPDined on 11/29/2013The Sushi was extremely fresh. The presentation was exceptional. Our server was extremely helpful and friendlySpecial Features:
- Despite our reservation, theyOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/9/2013Despite our reservation, they had to seat us in the bar area on a wobbly high-top table. Our servers were pleasant enough, but busy (we had more than one server). Our food was really mediocre. Although this place specializes in seafood, the best part of my meal was the veggies. The seafood was really bland. I wish I had ordered sushi. The folks sitting at the sushi bar looked to be getting the best plates in the house.
- Flying FishBruceVIPDined on 10/22/2013Yikes. Like other less than mediocre restaurants, the food here has the classic "kids in the kitchen" quality to it---they use fresh ingredients but they're poorly cooked, poorly seasoned, etc. There's no way this place will survive another year.
- Fun seafood and sushi in AlexandriaRun2eatVIPDined on 10/19/2013Tried the Flying Fish on a whim and found it to be an enjoyable experience for both food and atmosphere. The food was good - not the best mahi mahi I've ever had but tasty and a sizable portion to go along with crisp mixed vegetables done just right. The service was excellent too - our server was polite and prompt without being suffocating. There were a limited number of sushi specials which were also quite good. WE would consider returning next time we're in the area.Special Features:
- Good, but...VisitorDined on 10/18/2013We were sat well to the back of the restaurant, perhaps because I had a young son. Still not a good first impression. The server was a bit over eager when looking to process our payment; perhaps her shift was ending. Otherwise, the sushi was excellent. Nice half price happy hour special on wine bottles.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Take it or leave itFoodie5Dined on 10/15/2013Service is good an staff are friendly. Restaurant is a bit outdated and not a warm feeling. Food is just ok. We had a moderate amount of different selections at our table of eight and no one was blown away with anything tasting great. Also if you have children in your party, you may want to pack them a meal or choose elsewhere because there is not a good selection for children.
- Mildly Disappointed with the sushiChrissyDined on 9/13/2013After living here for 3 months and hearing the recommendations for this restaurant, I finally checked it out and was extremely disappointed. I went with a group of friends and we ordered solely from the sushi list menu. The avocado tasted mushi, and in particular I would not recommend the Cherry Blossom Roll. I honestly think all of the sushi was less than enjoyable. If I go back again, I'll order from the main menu since what I saw being brought out looked pretty good, but otherwise, we either went at a bad time or in general the sushi is just not as good as expected.Special Features:
- They did not have any dishesOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/10/2013They did not have any dishes with crab in it that night. We were informed after our order was placed. Service was slow.
- very good neighborhood restaurantdrudolVIPDined on 8/12/2013this was one of the better meals i have had there...the mahi, mahi, enjoySpecial Features:
- Won't be going backOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 6/29/2013We first went to this restaurant about 5 yrs ago and loved it. Went back a few times, and each time it's gotten progressively worse. First - the best thing about it - the sushi is outstanding. Some of the best I've had in DC area. But the service was terrible; Waiter was distracted, often seemed to forget us. We waited more than an hour for our entree. Waited 20 mins for our drink orders. Was there 8p on a Sat nite, not crowded - no obvious reason for long delays. Main entrees were just average, nothing special or noteworthy. If you go - go for the sushi.Special Features:
- Date Night OutCookieDined on 6/29/2013We enjoyed our dinner at Flying Fish Restaurant. We were seated promptly and our orders were taken in a timely manner. The food was good, with nice portions for the price. I wish we had not ordered the same entrée, so another trip will be necessary to try other dishes. Our server was knowledgeable about the dishes and attentive.Special Features:
- Great sushiVirginiaDinerDined on 6/22/2013Based on other positive reviews on Open Table, I suggested this to friend to celebrate her birthday. We were both pleased with this restaurant for its food and ambiance. The waiter told us that the restaurant was well known for its sushi. While I went that route, my friend went for the shrimp jambalaya entree and we were both very pleased with our meals. I had the zoom zoom rolls and the sashimi sampler. Both were very good, but I will be coming back for the zoom zoom rolls. They were delicious!Special Features:
- AmazingTJ71Dined on 6/22/2013My friends and I went here for my birthday on a Saturday night and had an amazing time. The food was excellent, I recommend the Rainbow and the Tiger roll, yum!! Our waitress was awesome too. She made sure we were well taken care of and was very friendly. I can't wait to go back again!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Flying fish is a rare find...luvher74Dined on 6/15/2013This was my first time here and I could not have been happier with the food. It was a group of us from the moment we stepped in the door the customer service was top notch. We didnt wait long to get seated and the waitress was very attentive. The food was superb and we will definitely visit here again.Special Features:
- funTae26Dined on 6/15/2013I liked the old town feel. We came for karaoke but the food and drinks were delicious. This a fun place to just stumble upon and to plan a get-together with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sushi and Sashimi were excellent,OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 6/2/2013Sushi and Sashimi were excellent, as usual. Good sake also.Special Features:
- Flying Fish is Excellent and fun!pegalegalaDined on 5/25/2013We were visiting the DC area and meeting friends for dinner and wanted some dancing or karaoke. The Flying Fish came up as a good place for both, so we made a reservation and gave it a try. We had excellent seafood and steak and the dark chocolate mousse pie was amazing! The bar began having karaoke about 9 or so and was relatively busy and we had a great time and the crowd was eclectic and friendly. I would highly recommend it and you could be 25 or 55 and enjoy it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slipping in the past 2 yearsgettysburgirishVIPDined on 5/23/2013Flying Fish used to be my favorite sushi place in the DC metro area. Quality of the food and creativity is slipping somewhat as they have focused more on the late night bar scene.Special Features:
- MediocreOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 5/12/2013I chose Flying Fish based on location and favorable Open Table reviews, and have to say I was disappointed. While my fish had good flavor, it stayed on the heat probably a minute too long. My sides, though, were cold. My guest's pasta, though filled with crabmeat, was overwhelmed by the thin sauce.
- First Date(in Alexandria)GregDined on 5/11/2013It was our first date in town. I recently moved from the Jersey shore to Alexandria to take a position in Washington. After a day of sight-seeing, my girlfriend asked for us to eat here at the Flying Fish. Our waitress was warm and gracious. The food was excellent. Thank you for a wonderful experience. We look forward to seeing you again! Best Wishes, Greg TwymanSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice, but...OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/11/2013We had a screaming infant in the area we were seated in which made the overall experience generally unpleasant. Not only that, the adults with the child were oblivious to the other diners in the area as they talked in very loud voices that carried across the entire dining area. We asked our server if someone could say something to the group and we were told that that was unlikely as the party were friends of the manager. Noting our discomfort, our server took the initiative to move us to another section which proved to be much more pleasant. This was probably an isolated incident which would not keep me from returning again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was alright, but thescottbDined on 4/27/2013Food was alright, but the ambiant noice was such that it was difficult to carry on a conversation. And it took forever for our cocktails to arrive, even though we ordered them right off.