Flying Fish Cafe & Wine Bar
2003 S Croatan Hwy
Kill Devil Hills, NC 27948Neighborhood:
Kill Devil Hills
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Flying Fish Cafe & Wine Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.flyingfishcafeobx.com/
- Phone: 2524416894x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Daily: 5:00pm-9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American, Wine Bar
- Executive Chef: Rob Matis
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Cafe, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Special Events: All Private Parties considered, give us a call.
A word from Flying Fish Cafe & Wine Bar
The Flying Fish Café and Wine Bar is about a great atmosphere, tremendous food, seasoned knowledgeable service, some of the best Chef’s on the beach, and especially giving our patrons an overall “Dining Experience.”Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Flying Fish Cafe & Wine Bar - Best Restaurants in Kill Devil Hills ›
Flying Fish Cafe & Wine Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
71 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (38)fit for foodies (34)romantic (32)notable wine list (30)neighborhood gem (21)good for groups (14)great for lunch (6)kid-friendly (6)late-night find (2)vibrant bar scene (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- City Life in the NeighborhoodEpicureanDined on 9/13/2014We recently had dinner at the Flying Fish Cafe that would have given any NYC restaurant a run for its reputation. We were delighted to find that the fish of the day was tuna and we could have it Mediterranean style. We were floored with the flavor of the dish. We have had it before in the same restaurant and enjoyed it very much. That is why we were happy to know it was available. This time it was exceptionally delicious. It was so good that we had to top the meal off with dessert (we don't often do that) Great meal, good service, nice atmosphere and all just a few blocks away.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/9/2014outside venue not so nice but inside it is diamond . Opens at the exact time it is quoted we almost left because we were early, it looked like it was closed up for the season.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Find!Carmen0225Dined on 9/8/2014Food and service were impeccable. We go to the OBX every year and now we have a restaurant that we will enjoy every year as well. This restaurant was a wonderful surprise. Leeps and bounds above the rest. We will and have recommended it to our friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So, so...WonderfulWinoVIPDined on 9/6/2014In general, restaurants in the Outer Banks are more interested in quantity than quality. Flying Fish conforms to that standard despite efforts to be above the average...
- SherGreatDined on 9/5/2014We found the restaurant to be very nice and just a nice size. The menu offered a nice variety and the food was very good. Downside was service. Not sure if it was the waiter or the kitchen but overall a good meal. We would return should we be in the area again.Special Features:
- Worth the drive from DuckClintVIPDined on 9/4/2014We come to the Outer Banks every year. While on open table making reservations at a few of our favorites, I noticed Flying Fish was a new addition (evidently very recently though they have been open many years). What a nice surprise and worth the drive. We highly recommend the spinach salad and scallops. I skipped appetizers and ordered a special, panko encrusted halibut with a raspberry reduction sauce, wild rice and amazingly delicious grilled asparagus. The wine list was diverse and fairly priced. The service was professional and efficient. While it's evident that the restaurant is a converted fast food location, they have done an admirable job of turning it into a fining dining establishment. We will definitely go back next year.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Dinning ExperienceRedupDined on 9/4/2014Service and meal both superb. Meal presentation was excellent, food was hot and very very delicious. Service was top notch and just could not have been betterSpecial Features:
- Best on the Outer Banks!GrandmakjDined on 8/31/2014This is the best restaurant in the Outer Banks. The food is consistently excellent. The variety of food is outstanding; their char-grilled tuna appetizer is my favorite. Have had several fish dishes, as well as well as their lamb chops. And don't miss their desserts. The have a wide variety of wines and full service bar. The service is outstanding. We go back every year we visit. It is our first stop.Special Features:
- saborDined on 8/28/2014THe Flying Fish is the best place to share an exquisite meal with friends and family during your stay in The OBX. You will return time after time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for a night out without kids1stttimerVIPDined on 8/27/2014Food was great, and server was very knowledgable about the menu. Changing little things on the entrees was not a problem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- yduffnerDined on 8/23/2014We loved the food at the Flying Fish Cafe and recommended it to a number of people who were visiting the area.Special Features:
- Great place with no crowds.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/22/2014This is a nice little place to for a great dinner without the crowds.Special Features:
- We always eat here....SaraVIPDined on 8/16/2014When we are vacationing in the OBX. And we stay in Manteo, which isn't that close. But the food is worth the drive. Always very nice. And upscale wines.Special Features:
- An every-trip must visitOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/14/2014Ever since discovering Flying Fish many years ago, it's been one of our "must have dinner there" dining spots for our annual visit. They've never failed to delight us, and we recommend them to all who want a reasonably-priced "upscale" dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 15 years and counting...OBXCKCKSDined on 8/13/2014My wife and I have been dining at Flying Fish since 1999! We've eaten there every year that we've returned to the Outer Banks and we love as much as we did the first time we walked through their door! The food is always fresh and wonderfully prepared. The ambiance is as romantic as it was on our honeymoon... We love the Flying Fish and look forward to more nights of dining in the years to come!Special Features:
- Excellence in Dining!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/8/2014From the efficiency of making the reservation to the fabulous dinner right on to the wonderful desert, our experience was fantastic! We will definitely be back with friends!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, great night!MindyDined on 8/7/2014The food was fantastic, everything was wonderful and we'll go back when we're in the area for certain!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a find!VisitingPhillyVIPDined on 8/6/2014Made a last minute reservation for a party of five. Was just gratefull to get a table anyplace. WOW. The food was fantastic and the people/service super friendly, if not a little too busy to deliver 5 star service. Never less, I highly recommended Flying Fish Cafe and Wine Bar the very next morning to the guys in my golf foursome. We'll be back.Special Features:
- Vraiment bienholinoneVIPDined on 8/4/2014Nous sommes allés dans ce restaurant avec nos 4 enfants. Nous avons été bien accueillis. La qualité du dîner était excellente. Le service aussi. Un restaurant pas trop bruyant!Special Features:
- Flying fish for 6Dinnerb4stonesconcertVIPDined on 8/1/2014Great job by the Flying Fish to handle our reservation for 6 on short notice. The bisque was excellent and the Ciopinno was outstanding. Service was great and the evening was all we could expect. Great job...the Flying Fish is a great find if you actually enjoy food on the Outer Banks. Enjoy.Special Features:
- sophisticated and originalNJvisitorDined on 7/27/2014From the imaginative cocktails and homemade bread to the fabulous dessert (try the rum cake), the meal was well-crafted and delicious. We're dining there again this week.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OBX traditionAmosmonkeyDined on 7/25/2014It's our family tradition to start our week vacation at the Outer Banks with Friday night dinner at the Flying Fish Cafe. Food is consistently excellent, with delicious specials. My husband enjoyed callous with pesto, wild rice and asparagus while I had the bacon wrapped cobia with spinach and rice. The service is always excellent and staff are friendly. The place is kid-friendly but at the same time if you are dining without the kids for date night, you won't be disturbed. Not sure how they manage this, but they do.Special Features:
- BlueDined on 7/25/2014Good food, excellent service, In a charming dining room where you could actually converse in a normal voice. Not the absolute "best" of the beach, but very good.
- What you are missingTravelEaterDined on 7/20/2014We love the Flying Fish! The service is always great and the food is outstanding! While it is not inexpensive, when you look at what you get, it is worth it! Very good service - and the filet with Gorgonzola butter is AMAZING! The signature Hurricane dessert is excellent too. They are normally not very busy, but I am SO glad they are taking reservations from Open Table! I travel a lot and usually only use Open Table in the "big" cities!Special Features:
- Excellent food, superb serviceDinkyDoo4692Dined on 7/19/2014The food was excellent. The service was unmatched by any restaurant on the OBX. Not just 1 server either, the entire team.Special Features:
- Consistently goodACM1Dined on 7/11/2014We have been patronizing this restaurant for years. The new owners have done a fantastic job upholding the qualities that made this a place to return to.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ClevelandparkguruVIPDined on 7/5/2014one of my fav places here at the Banks. Excellent spinach pie. Salads and tuna were the choices. All very good as is the service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent for LunchFoodieChris610Dined on 7/5/2014First visit to the Flying Fish with a party of 4 kids and 4 adults at lunchtime. Wonderful warm service (especially with the kids) and good food to boot. Recommend the tasty French fries and Grecian Urn dessert. The sandwiches were excellent as well. Would definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ChoiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/1/2014Excellent choice for a delicious meal! The staff were very polite and nice. Great service, too! (:Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/29/2014We've been coming to the outer banks for years. Since we visited this place we make a point to eat here every time we visit. Good seafood selections, choice wines, great staff, intimate setting, nice background music.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/22/2014The food was OK but not great. The place was empty and very quiet. I would not go back.
- Great food and presentation!tekni2Dined on 6/13/2014We had a party of 10 and ordered a variety of appetizers and menu items. Everything was delicious and plated beautifully. All very pleased with their meals. A perfect end to our time at the OBX.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/28/2014We had some Picky eaters in our group and they accommodated us. They even made something that was on the menu. Great customer service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HorribleHitthedalinxVIPDined on 5/28/2014This is my second time at this restaurant - both times were awful. Would not recommend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 5/27/2014It was the best meal we had in the Outer Banks. We shared the baby clams and mussels starter followed by crab cakes and the yellowfin tuna special. Great service by Frieda. Thanks for a delightful evening.Special Features:
- Food was goodvickyDined on 5/25/2014Food was overall good but overpriced. They had pushed tables together to accommodate our party. Almost lost my glass of wine as my chair was placed so that when I put down my glass it was on where 2 tables met and they were not the same height. Good service as well.Special Features:
- Wonderful SeafoodPamRVIPDined on 5/25/2014We started our meal with a clam/mussels appetizer that was in the most delicious garlic wine broth. We had plenty of crusty french bread to dip in the broth. For my meal, I had the cioppino which was loaded with fish, mussels, shrimp and scallops. My companion had tuna that was cooked at just the right color. It was all delectable and plentiful. It was my first time but I will definitely be back the next time I am in Nags Head.Special Features:
- The following 1 reviews are from the Flying Fish Cafe & Wine Bar reviews archive.
- cloyDined on 5/14/2014We were attracted by the wine list. It was very good compared to other places at the OBX. The food was very good-- the portions were very large and we did not need an appetizer or dessert. The staff were excellent-- very attentive and friendly. I would recommend this place.Special Features: