Fly Bar & Restaurant
1202 N. Franklin St.
Tampa, FL 33602Neighborhood:
Fusion / EclecticPrice: $30 and under
Fly Bar & Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.flybarandrestaurant.com/tampa
- Phone: 8132755000
- Hours of Operation:
Hours of Operation: Monday thru Friday 4:00pm ~ 3:00am Saturday 5:30pm ~ 3:00am Sunday 4:00pm ~ 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Fusion / Eclectic, Global, International
- Executive Chef: Fred Quinones
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Our open-air rooftop deck is available for rental for up to 100 guests. The entire restaurant may be reserved as a buyout accommodating 30 to 260 guests. Ideal for corporate events, anniversaries, wedding rehearsal dinners and birthdays.
- Private Party Contact: David Bromberg 8132755000
- Entertainment: Fly features live music Monday at 9pm, and Thursday thru Saturday starting at 10pm. Acts range from DJs to full acoustic rock bands. Music schedules are available via our website @ www.flybarandrestaurant.com/tampa
A word from Fly Bar & Restaurant
Fly bar and restaurant was envisioned as a vibrant space within which people can share food and drink while surrounded by local music and art. Fly serves moderately priced plates based on a global cuisine that are deigned for sharing among friends and brought to the table steadily throughout the meal.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeighborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Fly Bar & Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Tampa ›
Fly Bar & Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
39 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (23)vibrant bar scene (23)fit for foodies (22)great for outdoor dining (20)late-night find (17)good for groups (16)hot spot (15)special occasion (8)notable wine list (4)scenic view (4)romantic (4)great for brunch (3)great for lunch (3)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Fun food, fun sceneTampaFoodieDined on 8/23/2014A surprisingly great evening. Food was great. Mac n Cheese and Brussels sprouts were yummy, but HEAVY, and best shared among 4. Tuna was great. Flank steak merely ok. Salmon tartare was awesome. Scene was so fun and drinks were great! Highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food. Great time.Edgecpt09Dined on 8/23/2014We were impressed with the quality of the food. The waitress knew the menu very well and was able to help us when we were undecided. It's a tapas kind of place. So between my wife and I we odered 4 items and were satisfied. It was a great experience. After diner we went upstairs and had a beer and watched the sunset. We will definitely be going back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mac N CheesefotoboyzphilDined on 8/18/2014Fun place downtown tampa. They make excellent Sangria (only by the glass no pitchers) Ropa Veja just OK not enough spice. BUT the Mac N Cheese ROCKED smoky, flavorful,l unique style of noodle good stuff plus, we had some excellent fries with garlic as well. Well, not healthy food but good fun bar food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- yummy!coolkittyDined on 8/9/2014The outside patio was very nice for conversation, the service was pretty good (albeit a little bit slow on a Saturday night) and the food was AMAZING. And a good selection of interesting beers. I will definitely go again, but will sit outside where it's a little less quieter.Special Features:
- ExcellentTaco432Dined on 7/29/2014Friendly wait staff. Good food. A little loud, but I like that in a restaurant. Very lively scene.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great BarLeeesDined on 7/25/2014This has been a favorite restaurant of mine for some time given the food and the ambience. I went recently with my husband and another couple. We reserved a table for 4 at 6:00 on a Friday. From the moment we arrived, the noise was defeaning and we had to shout at each other to be understood. The menu has changed and there are less healthy options and more pub-like foods. I think Fly Bar is a great bar if that's what you are seeking. If you'd like to enjoy a dinner and conversation, either forget it or go on a very slow night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EclecticlmacDined on 7/15/2014Rafael was our server and he was great. Loved the rabbit tacos and the braised octopus. Cool restaurant.Special Features:
- abesoluDined on 6/30/2014Rabbit tacos were great, and the Mac & Cheese turned out to be her favorite dish. I thought the atmosphere was wonderful, but i forgot you guys had an outdoor roof deck. I know it's not the establishment's fault, but i wish that we could have been reminded to take a trip upstairs to hang out. Especially since it rained earlier that day and cooled the temp down considerably.Special Features:
- Love the Food, Not the Hard ChairsalitryallDined on 6/25/2014I chose this place for a girl's night date with my good friend. She enjoyed the atmosphere but the dining quarters were a little cramped & one person had to sit in a very uncomfortable hard chair. They do have Live Music but it does become a bit of a yelling match with your dining partner. The food was great, very interesting mix and I loved my drink the "Poolside in Mexico"...I am a die hard Margarita fan & this drink gives Tequila a whole new meaning. Great stop for an app & drink maybe before a night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hot spot for young dinersjakeVIPDined on 6/21/2014I am a very young 66 year old and my wife is young. We love all kinds of places and although we might not return, we found this a great spot. It is truly for the young. Hopping bar scene (I am sure it gets better as night goes on) has music and the food is really good. Lots of sharing and small plates. Wine list was fair. Cocktail list was inventive and I recommend the bourbon special, kind of like a sweet manhattan. Would not recommend if your looking for quite romantic table cloth dinner. I knew what it was and enjoyed it.Special Features:
- Fantastic experienceSouthTampaFoodieGalDined on 6/15/2014I dined here in a group of four on a Sunday evening. It was fairly empty, but live music kept the place feeling energetic. Our server was prompt and friendly. The cocktails were inventive and reasonably priced ($9-$12). I recommend the Bee's Knees- it was delicious! As for the food... it was INCREDIBLE. Some of the plates are larger than others, so be sure to ask your server about portion size. My husband and I got the hanger steak and snapper. We also had the nachos with guacamole (which were huge- glad we had 4 people on hand to eat them) and the truffle mac (a must). Literally every dish was phenomenal. Highly recommend.. we'll be back!!Special Features:
- Good food but very loud ambience.JulesDined on 6/15/2014This was my 4 th visit to Fly Bar & Restaurant. The menu choices are somewhat eclectic as is the atmosphere. I love the food. It is unique and not commonly found at other restaurants. My favorite is the Hangar Steak. It was cooked to perfection with a lot of flavor. I went with my husband and adult children and everyone enjoyed their meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 5/30/2014One of my favorite restaurants in Tampa! You can't go wrong with anything on the menu.Special Features:
- Fantastic FoodAlwaysEnjoyFoodVIPDined on 5/22/2014This our 3rd time at Fly and always find to food of high quality, always new items and a great way of tasting many different items. Gourmet without the fanciness. Solid dishes and taste!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/20/2014My wife and I received wonderful service! Our female server was very attentive but not overly so. It was "just right"! The food was good. Our only downside was that we had wanted to be able to go to the rooftop but were told by the hostess that it was only open Thurs, Fri & Sat nights. Since we arrived on a Tuesday, the rooftop was not available to us. I might be wrong...but I don't recall the restaurant's website specifically mentioning the rooftop's availability. We will return again though. I think this restaurant is a nice asset for downtown Tampa. Congratulations!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique Urban Dining SpotLeeesDined on 5/17/2014Fly Bar was once again fabulous and delicious. The four of us split orders of tuna tartar, seared scallops, truffle mac and cheese, kale and arugala salad and a fabulous bottle of wine recommended by Chuck our server. Chuck is amazing by the way: passionate about the menu and the wine list, he is knowledgeable, fun and engaging - request him when you visit! All in all it was a great night out at Fly Bar and we will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Vibrantly DeliciousKMaxDined on 5/16/2014Enjoy an artisanal cocktail with friends. Soak up the art vibe and underlying club beat. Take in the sunset on the rooftop bar and watch the city lights come up. Go downstairs into a U shaped table and order small plates and more drinks! The rabbit tacos were amazingly good! Orange chicken was also exceptional. And never pass up the truffle Mac & Cheese!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great before the StrazmaliceDined on 5/14/2014We love going to the Fly before the Straz. The food is interesting and delicious. Always served piping hot and timely. Good drinks too. Love the decor but a bit noisy for conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food at the FlyFlyontheWallDined on 5/9/2014No wait, service was prompt, menu offered many selections but the portions were quite small, much like those at a French style restaurant. The taste of the two selections, namely salmon and pork chops, were very tasty and presented elegantly. Overall, a very pleasant dining experience. Would recommend to a friend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 270 reviews are from the Fly Bar & Restaurant reviews archive.
- It was okOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/26/2014Service started of great until we ordered fries and realized that the restaurant does not carry regular ketchup and mustard. This should be changed cause not all people like spicy ketchup! We couldn't eat the fries and barely touched it but or server didn't seemed to care or offer to take it off the bill. We had other dishes which were great and drinks were awesome. Music wasn't that great either- went upstairs hoping for a different genre but it wasn't the same- no music I recognized.Special Features:
- Love Small BitesOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/26/2014Love the fact all entree's are small bites and can be shared....thus far (second time at the restaurant) food is great!Special Features:
- Flying High or some other clicheapa52Dined on 4/19/2014The service was excellent-- and the food was amazing (especially the truffle mac n cheese), but the portion sizes for the price, eh. As good as the food was, I feel it was a bit over priced. Otherwise, everything was excellent. The food tasted amazing, awesome drinks, and amazing service.Special Features:
- Disorganized but good foodTampadinerDined on 4/12/2014Recommended for the food, but be in the mood for a loud and disorganized dinner. Even in a small party of two, the main entree selections did not come to the table at the same time; so late that one finished before the other (and nothing significantly different on the preparation between the two) and the Mac&Cheese we were looking forward to trying didn't make it to the table. Not only my small party, but the couples sitting both to the right and left had the same issue. In addition drinks were either very late or in our case one time didn't even make it to the table before the end of the meal. The waitress was kind enough to remove one of the drink items that was served off the bill. Treat as a Tapas place if you go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food, Great Energy!FrannieVEDined on 4/8/2014An easy walk from The Straz, we eat here at least once a month as it is an 1 1/2 hour drive for us. The menu is eclectic to say the least. Tuna tartar and truffled mac and cheese are two of my favorite dishes and, I know that this sounds crazy, but the brussel sprouts are wonderful. The food is brought out as it is prepared so it is always at the ideal temperature. The staff is friendly and very accommodating.Special Features:
- amazingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/3/2014As a local chef I wasn't sure what to expect from this place. But when I walked in I knew it would be great. The food was over the top. Ihhad the truffled mac n cheese and braised short rib. The service was amazing and the cocktails were on point. Ill def. Be going back yo visit again soonSpecial Features:
- Fun but ...DavidDined on 4/3/2014Reflective of a new generation with different expectations about serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best place to eat near the StrazOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/3/2014We have been 3 times. Twice when going to the Straz ,and this last time we had tickets to an event at the Tampa Theatre. It's walking distance to both of these venues. Good happy hour with some half price small plates. Garlic fries were yummy. Nachos are good but don't get the ropa vieja put on top makes it soggy. I would get it on the side!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre-Concert KnoshingJigettaDined on 3/30/2014Perfect fit for drinks and dining prior to a show at the Tampa Theater. Staff was spot on and the food and drinks were perfectly crafted. We were running late because of traffic from Pinellas County and they held our table for us-nice!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Small Plate Extravaganzaluv2dineDined on 3/21/2014The food here is fabulous. Offered as small plates and fit for sharing if you choose. The chef takes some standards but adds his own unique twist to them, making them del standouts. Try the Duck Confit Fried Rice, Brussell Sprouts & Macaroni and Cheese. They will titillate your palate. Don't skip dessert... the profiteroles are to die for!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Had an excellent 1st experience.JRiley1980Dined on 3/11/2014Had an excellent 1st experience. Decided to sit at the bar and Jason took great care of us. I've got nothing but good things to say about everything from, service, food, cocktails, atmosphere, etc. we will be back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- out of townersJacquiDined on 3/7/2014Took some out of towners to Fly Rest for dinner. After some back and forth about which menu the restaurant was using due to anticipated high volume, we enjoyed good drinks, appetizer, dinner and desert. It was VERY loud in the restaurant, would not be good for an intimate discussion or a romantic dinner date, but included lots of young and hip people having fun which is what we wanted. Disappointed by the rooftop bar, needs some work to create more atmosphere...looked like some construction was going on?Special Features:
- High ExpectationsMrsSmithDined on 3/1/2014I made an OpenTable online reservation for four, as we would be in Tampa, Florida for the MLB Yankees Spring Training ballgames. Pros: The atmosphere was pleasant The food was good Cons: Unable to be seated at upstairs patio dining area (private party) - should have been previously informed of this (Possibly) being judged for wearing (Yankees) jerseys (site states "casual" attire accepted) Only one page of the menu (starters) was available to order from at the time that we arrived (full menu available after 5:30) The (nonchalant) waitress took our entree order without explaining the extended wait for our food Hints: Portions are petite -if sharing appetizers, order their "nachos"Special Features:
- Eclectic TapasJanNHDined on 2/23/2014Creative small plate that were all delicious and well thought out. Truffle Mac and Cheese. Cornish Game Hen. Beef sliders. Shrimp. All very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for a get-together!MaryJaneDined on 2/9/2014My colleagues (Southeast region sales managers) and I met at Fly Bar and Restaurant for some casual dinner time together prior to 3 days of meetings in Tampa. I had been to Fly before, but no one else in our group of 12 had. All were impressed with the ambiance and the menu---we had a wonderful time and I felt like I was showing off "hip, vibrant downtown Tampa." The staff was fabulous and Lenny did everything he could to make sure we were having the best possible experience. Everyone loved the food! We ate and ate and ate and our bill was extremely reasonable. I love Fly Bar and Restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun Time!tetrebwVIPDined on 2/8/2014Great food, fun atmosphere, attentive service. Food portion size has increased greatly since the last time I was here.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent EveningMattxMoshDined on 2/1/2014Overall a great experience, fairly priced, you are told ahead how portions can fluctuate in size, waitstaff was great. Food was fantastic. A bit on the casual hipster side, but its one of the few times that doesn't hinder the experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everything was just right!LisaDined on 2/1/2014Everything was just right! Everything tasted DELICIOUS!! I always have a great experience at Fly Bar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very noisyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/31/2014good/very good food, better service than on previous visits (sometimes it's downright bad), extremely (way too) loud; sadly would not go back because of the noiseSpecial Features:
- Good food, Great service at Fly BarTeresaDined on 1/31/2014The food was good - very interesting concept of "sharing" small plates. The service was excellent and the atmosphere was funky/friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeBrianDined on 1/29/2014Take your date here and enjoy the night over drinks and good conversation. Let that person know you be sharing food because it a fusion style restaurant. Make sure you have money to this place is not a Chiles or Applebee's it's a step up. Dress up for the occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.