Fluke Wine Bar and Kitchen
41 Bowen's Wharf
Newport, RI 02840Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
Fluke Wine Bar and Kitchen
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.flukewinebar.com/
- Phone: 4018497778
- Hours of Operation:
Winter Hours (November 11-May1) Wednesday-Saturday from 5PM
Summer Hours (May 1 - November 10) Open nightly from 5PM
Bar from 4PM on weekends
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Kevin King
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), View, Wine
- Catering: Share the experience of Fluke Wine, Bar & Kitchen with your friends and family. Please inquire about having an event catered by Fluke.
- Private Party Facilities: Conveniently located, intimate, casual and with great views, Fluke Wine, Bar & Kitchen is a perfect spot to host any number of private events whether it is a casual dinner party for friends, a rehearsal dinner, corporate event, etc. Please inquire and we will customize a menu to suit your needs!
- Private Party Contact: Geremie Callaghan 4018497778
- Special Events: Fluke is available for corporate events, luncheons, off-site meetings, rehearsal dinners, post wedding bruncheons, etc. Please call for more information.
- Cross Street: Banisters Wharf & America's Cup Ave
- Public Transit: Bowen's Wharf
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: Bowen's Wharf and The Mooring (paid) parking lots are both easily accessible to the restaurant. Limited metered spaces are available on Thames Street (free Nov-April). Mary Street or the Gateway Center parking lots are less than 5 minutes walk from the restaurant.
A word from Fluke Wine Bar and Kitchen
Sample a variety of snacks, cheese and charcuterie, small or large plates, all inspired by local, seasonal ingredients. Extensive wine selections and award-winning cocktails in a contemporary setting with harbor views.Continued
Always a comfortable atmosphere, whatever the occasion – Fluke, Wine, Bar & Kitchen will always fit the mood!
Always a comfortable atmosphere, whatever the occasion – Fluke, Wine, Bar & Kitchen will always fit the mood!
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
Fluke Wine Bar and Kitchen - Best Restaurants in Newport ›
Fluke Wine Bar and Kitchen reviews from OpenTable diners
130 reviews since May 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (92)scenic view (75)special occasion (68)romantic (61)notable wine list (52)neighborhood gem (34)vibrant bar scene (23)hot spot (21)good for groups (12)late-night find (11)great for lunch (7)great for brunch (4)kid-friendly (3)great for outdoor dining (2)Show More
- Not Kid FriendlyOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 8/30/2014The restaurant had only a pasta offering and was rigid with regard to modifications. They would not let us add shrimp to my daughters meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Foodluv2eatDined on 8/24/2014Recommended by a friend. Went to Fluke to celebrate a Birthday, food was fantastic! Everything was uniquely prepared. Had the Tuna and the Bass and they were perfectly cooked. Highly recommend it to everyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food but...allaspectsmatterDined on 8/23/2014The food was creative and tasty. However, the hostess was miserable and unaccommodating, not only to us, but to the people ahead of us who left immediately after she snubbed them.Special Features:
- Anniversary dinner hit the markdinnerfor2Dined on 8/22/2014We were on our second day of our 10 year anniversary weekend and had a wonderful experience. The wait staff was knowledgeable. attentive and forthright. The crostini starter, shrimp appetizer and linguine were all fabulous. The bass was very good though just a little dry. Specialty drinks definitely hit the mark.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrible ServicePassingThroughDined on 8/20/2014From the get go, the service was terrible. The waitress addressed my family with a rude and condescending tone. She did not ask the table if we would like to order drinks. When my dad asked her questions about the wine list, she was combative. When we asked questions about specific items on the menu, she made us feel stupid for even asking. We decided to order an appetizer and leave immediately after. When we asked to speak with the manager, he didn't remedy the situation at all. He took the waitress's side and said, "I think you must have misunderstood her tone." This was the first time we had ever left a restaurant before ordering a meal and leaving without a tip. Terrible service, but the appetizer we did order was very good.Special Features:
- Always ExcellentLoveMyWinesDined on 8/17/2014Every time me and my better-half are in Newport we make it a point to have dinner here. Service is always very good, and the food incredible. The wine list is also fantastic and the owner know's his stuff! Highly recommend trying the (always) sinful french fries with the homemade garlic aioli, rabbit, and scallops.Special Features:
- Great night out !KewpiesDined on 8/16/2014My Partner and I were treated by a life long friend to dinner and we got to pick the location. We live in CT, but also have a home in Jamestown and visit Newport offen, we wanted to try Fluke... Very satisfied with the food and service. Now that we have tasted this location, we will be back...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Time2dineDined on 8/16/2014Food was good although very small portions... Service was disappointing... Nice ambiance . I wouldn't recommend it.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/16/2014Outstanding food, presented with flair but not obstentatious ( as does Tallullah's)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A memorable birthday dinnerKkhesterVIPDined on 8/14/2014My husband and I had a yummy meal of various shared plates: almond-stuffed dates wrapped in bacon were amazing, as was the halibut ceviche. Only disappointment was that I'd mentioned upon arrival ( and out of earshot of hubby) that it was a special birthday for my husband and wanted them to select whatever dessert to bring at end of the meal. They forgot to do this but the owner came by the table, dropped off a single candle and graciously said he'd like to comp the glass of port we shared as a birthday wish. I assume it was a lack of communication - I paid the bill and realized the port was charged. The waitress while polite seemed tired and not really happy- but the owner was very enthusiastic and passionate as he should be! Great spot!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointmentOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/11/2014My girlfriend and I came here after a day of sailing. After looking at the menu earlier in the day, we were both very excited to try this place out. Once we were seated, it took approximately 20 minutes for the waitress to ask for our drinks. The poor service continued throughout the night and the food was a disappointment. For the prices they charge, I do not recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- A FavoriteNewporterDined on 8/11/2014Fluke is a favorite among Newport locals as well as tourists. Friendly, casual dining with excellent food and good service. We enjoy Fluke often throughout the year and have never had a bad experience there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Drgph66honestDined on 8/10/2014Don't miss this!! Outstanding meal. We loved the food and wine. Scallops were the best I have ever hadSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/9/2014Best food in Newport with great seating above the wharf for people watchingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food. Untrained staffOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/8/2014For a restaurant that prides itself on farm to table food and sources out local ingredients it is ashame that the servers and the hostess do not have the same reverence for the dining experience. Care should be taken to hire severs that understand food, enjoy people and get the value of excellent service. Good food , McDonald' s quality service. Shame on management.
- non-alcohol drinking veggie fun!MaehemDined on 8/8/2014As someone who loves and appreciates tasty alcoholic beverages I loved how many fun and creative cocktails there were! I'm taking a tiny break from the booze so I was so excited to see a whole section dedicated to non-alcoholic concoctions. The Pom Fizz was insane! So full of flavor I never even missed the alcohol:) Also loved the meatless options, tasty and way not boring. Great job Fluke! We shall return....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Spot!JasonDined on 8/7/2014Very impressive fish menu, nice views and overall a great night!Special Features:
- Visiting Newport oftenOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/6/2014We have been to most restaurants on the waterfront and were totally surprised by this one. Presentation and food was great. A little noisy but it was worth it. Not exactly on the water but great view of the crowds milling below. It will be one of our favorites when we come next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Dining at FlukeNewdiner1Dined on 8/5/2014We had a great experience at Fluke. We ordered crispy oysters, tuna tartar, striped bass, roasted eggplant puree, grilled asparagus - the quality was outstanding. Our waitress was extremely helpful. We loved the atmosphere - very relaxing, yet vibrant. We sat on the second floor near the window and enjoyed the sunset, cocktails, and superb food.Special Features:
- always greatPhillyDined on 8/4/2014Fluke is one of my all time favorite restaurants. Always great food, relaxed and fun.Special Features:
- Wonderful eveningMaineiacExplorerDined on 8/1/2014The service is well balanced, attentive but non-intrusive. The food is excellent, unique pairings and balanced flavors and portion sizes are perfect. The Owners take great care to check in directly with you. The wine list is excellent and the knowledge of the list is extensive. You can tell each bottle was personally selected by the Owners to match their food offerings.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/30/2014One of the best meals we have had in Newport. Would highly recommend it for fantastic seafood dishes- careful preparation and thoughtful sided accompanying the entrees. Try the crispy oysters!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous Newport DinnerjcovMVIPDined on 7/29/2014When on vacation in Newport, we were underwhelmed with the restaurant choices, as most carried the same, pedestrian style menu. We went to Fluke, and had an absolutely fantastic dinner. If you are looking for great food, service & ambiance in Newport, this is definitely where you want to be.Special Features:
- Great food.leosmomDined on 7/25/2014We had a wonderful dinner at Fluke. The appetizer mussels were absolutely delicious and our entrees were also very very good. The only piece that was not great was the special appetizer, otherwise the food had amazing flavor. The cocktails were also amazing!!!! We will most assuredly be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary treattopshelfDined on 7/24/2014Wonderful cocktails, the empanaditas were exquisite, as were the mussels, aragula goat cheese salad, the swordfish and hazelnut chocolate thingee we split for dessert. It was all very satisfying.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fluke'sOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/24/2014This is one of my favorite restaurants. Always good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not BadOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/20/2014The food was OK, but the service and wine selection made up for it. Slightly pricey, but it's Newport.Special Features:
- Special treatment!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/19/2014Fabulous dinner! Waitress was well-versed on the menu and all the ingredients. My favorite drink- peach mash- was not on the menu but the owner(Jeff) found a peach and made it specially for me. Great place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingBostonfoodieDined on 7/19/2014Simply amazing experience. Great service, outstanding food, and best view in the house. Get there early for a window seat upstairs. Come with an appetite and sample the small plates before going for the main course. Crispy oysters and veal meatballs were to die for. Striped bass was cooked perfectly. Would go back in a heartbeat.Special Features:
- Great food, great setting!OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/18/2014Fluke was delicious. We sat on the top floor by the window and saw a beautiful sunset. The food was super tasty! Good wine selection. And, the service was fantastic. Highly recommended!Special Features:
- Great dinner with friendsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/14/2014The food was divine and the service was perfect. We had a visit from the host, Jeff, which made our visit extra special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved by allbowlerDined on 7/12/2014We asked a new couple to join us this year at Fluke for dinner, and they enthusiastically thanked us because they loved it as much as we have for years.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No FlukepinkyDined on 7/11/2014We ate here on a Sat. night and had reserved a table by an upstairs window. We arrived on time and were seated immediately. Our table by a window allowed us to watch the sunset while enjoy cocktails and appetizers. For our entrees the Bass and Scallops were both delicious. Our desert was a passion fruit Creme Brulle inventive and tasty. Our sever was prompt helpful and courteous. Both the owner and his wife inquired about our meals while we were seated and upon leaving. Both very gracious. All in all a fine and enjoyable mealSpecial Features:
- delicious...as alwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/11/2014We eat at Fluke every summer on our annual trip to Newport. Enough Said!!Special Features:
- food was fabolmc313Dined on 7/11/2014Very beautiful atmosphere waitstaff very attentive. We really enjoyed our meal. Would have liked to see a few more fish selections and more dessert choices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food and service was greatcloutDined on 7/10/2014First time at this restaurant and it won't be the last.Special Features:
- mixed reviewsOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 7/7/2014My one son had the stripper and I had the pan seared scallops. They were very good. My husband and my other son had the sword fish. Tasteless. It only had olive oil and some peppery pesto sauce. Way too expensive for what you got in terms of food, atmosphere and view. I can understand paying for a view but your view is looking down on another restaurant and a cookie place. The atmosphere inside was very plain. Felt ripped off spending $3.00 a bottle for a soda. Not worth the money.
- Attitude and Average FoodLaneDined on 7/5/2014We began our experience at Fluke with an argumentative maître de who said we did not have reservation we actually had booked on Open Table. They fortunately had a cancellation moments before we walked in so they sat us, although not without hesitation! Meanwhile there were 3 empty tables the entire time we were there! In terms of the food, 3 out of 4 dishes were very, very average (seafood linguine and mako) and expensive. The only good dish was scallops, which if you venture into the restaurant, I do recommend. The green bean tempura first plate was also worthwhile. Skip the desserts and get a waffle cone at Ben and Jerry's! It will make for a better evening!!Special Features:
- What a Find!ErickVIPDined on 7/3/2014From their extensive wine list (priced appropriately) to delicious small plates and excellent service, this restaurant was a treat. Highly recommend if your looking for a romantic/enjoyable evening that won't break the bank.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful..MLK17VIPDined on 6/29/2014Food experience. Waiter's suggestions were spot on. The oyster appetizer was incredible. I had the tuna and my husband had the scallop dish and we could not have been happier. I would recommend this restaurant to anyone.Special Features: