Flour + Water
2401 Harrison Street
San Francisco, CA 94110Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Flour + Water
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://flourandwater.com/
- Phone: (415) 826-7000
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm
Friday- Saturday: 5:30pm - Midnight
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Thomas McNaughton
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Please contact the restaurant at firstname.lastname@example.org or via phone at 415-826-7005.
- Special Events: Flour + Water has three private dining spaces available: Test Kitchen, Dough Room & Butcher Block, with the largest having a capacity of 16 seated and 25 standing. The menu is highly seasonal and changes every day, so our chef prepares a special menu just for each group based on the best of what's available that day.
Inquire with our Director of Events, Kate Michels at email@example.com or via phone at 415-826-7005 for pricing and further information.
A word from Flour + Water
Fresh house-made pasta, wood-fired pizza, house-cured meats. It’s all about simple and authentic Italian food rooted in the south, executed with skill, expertise and old world standards of care. The defining goal of the restaurant for its ambiance and style of service is to make everyone feel welcome. "We feel very strongly about creating a ‘come as you are’ atmosphere in the restaurant."Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Flour + Water reviews from OpenTable diners
174 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (123)neighborhood gem (89)hot spot (77)special occasion (65)romantic (46)notable wine list (38)late-night find (22)good for groups (19)vibrant bar scene (9)kid-friendly (5)great for lunch (3)great for outdoor dining (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Top notch in every waylovetoeatDined on 11/11/2014I cannot think of one thing they could do better. The food is just uniformly delicious. Pasta dishes are unusual but entirely unpretentious and, of course, yummy. In a town full of delicious designer pizza, theirs is the best I have tasted -- no kidding. And then there's the service . . . casual but completely professional and thoroughly knowledgeable, and above all exceedingly pleasant. From the front desk, to the waiter, to the bus staff, everyone made us feel welcome and happy. This kind of across-the-board attitude is not an accident -- the owners must make this a priority -- and it colors everything else about the restaurant experience. Do not delay your visit!I would recommend this to a friend.
- 1fanofdiningVIPDined on 11/5/2014How does one describe Flour + Water - just about the best dining experience you can have - !Special Features:
- It was a hit!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/4/2014Decided to make reservations for my boyfriends birthday (missed it for mine a few month earlier) and we couldn't have been happier! Great food, nice and quiet dinner. Thanks to all at Flour + Water!Special Features:
- Love at first BiteBarbhmVIPDined on 11/1/2014We have been wanting to go to this restaurant for a long time and finally got here--it was worth the wait. We had four in our party and ordered a pizza and three pastas and the brussel sprouts with pork belly. Nothing better than a crispy pizza from a wood burning oven--the crust was not real thin but just right and the tomato sauce was just the right amount so it wan't soggy. The pastas were all delicious - light touch to the sauces and home made with the perfect texture. We had two desserts to share and both were very good, too. We all agreed that the food was delicious and made for a lovely evening.Special Features:
- A hidden gemSteveSFDined on 10/26/2014I have walked by this place for years on my way to work (they just celebrated their 5th anniversary), and I used to got to Cafe Gratitude across the street. But for some reason, I was never tempted to try it. It's just little off the beaten track for me – except for the former Cafe Gratitude, there is not much else nearby. But what an oasis of fine dining! We had one of the very best meal I have ever had – delicious salad, amazing pizza and spectacular pasta. I am vegetarian, and it sometimes hard to put together a satisfying meal from a basically mean-based menu. This was no problem at Flour and Water. Our waiter kindly allowed us to order our entrees from the Tasting Menu, which was a delightful treat. Also fabulous deserts!Special Features:
- Go... Just go!SophiDined on 10/24/2014If you can get a reservation - GO! Delicious amazing food! We started with a roasted butternut squash appetizer, then moved on to the squid ink orecchiette, then the rigatoni (AMAZING), and then finished with a game stuffed tortellini of some kind. It was so good, that I ordered that last tortellini as dessert as opposed to a sweet dish. Amazing all around!Special Features:
- pastaswirl33Dined on 10/24/2014With its large windows and flickering candles, flour + water glows beautifully at night, making customers feel intimate and cozy, and passersby wistful they could be part of the magic. Friendly service, artfully-plated pasta that melts in the mouth, and a low-lit atmosphere that makes you and your guest feel like you're the only ones in the world. I like that the chef and servers aim to please while still keeping a warm, casual, unintimidating atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome foodBerlyVIPDined on 10/22/2014Our group of six shared several pastas and they were all excellent. Our server went above and beyond in making us feel welcome and making suggestions from the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner at Flour and WaterSyedDined on 10/22/2014We had a 5 course prix fixe dinner for two. The food was very good, server was courteous, no wait to get our table. However, service got a little slow as the evening progressed. I think there was too much food. Next time we would go ala carteSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No disappointments here!smalltowntxfoodieDined on 10/20/2014Wonderful, small but not too, excellent and helpful service, fresh and wholesome, innovative cuisine.Special Features:
- Not what it used to beSockbunnyDined on 10/18/20144 of us; late reservation. We came here in 2012 & had dinner 3 nights in a row. That's saying something. What I remember were informative servers, a good selection for vegetarians, high quality food and a generosity imbued in the place. This time, there were very few choices for psco-vegetarians, we had to request both water and bread repeatedly & our food ranged from not good to edible to good. Having to ask the server was annoying. My tuna was overdone on the outside and gamey tasting toward the inner, more rare part. My son's gnocchi was over vinegared & had to be sent back. It was replaced with a delicious dish. The budino and Meyer Lemon Tart were delicious. In general we felt rushed and as if we had to flag our server down constantly.Special Features:
- LulubelleVIPDined on 10/18/2014We waited 40 minutes after making reservation at 9:15 a month ago. They didnot offer bread or drinks while we were waiting. We told them several time we were starving.Special Features:
- yum!smm12Dined on 10/18/2014this place was delicious! we got several pastas, the funghi pizza, and a few secondis and salads for the table. the pastas were first-rate. will definitely come back.Special Features:
- SIMPLY THE BEST!SheilaF123Dined on 10/17/2014FOOD WAS UNBELIEVABLE!!! Too many incredible choices to narrow it down to a few. Served family style allowing you the luxury of tasting it all. Seating is tight, and room a bit loud... But this would not deter me from returning again and again! Make reservations EARLY in your trip planning phase. Service impeccable!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- overratedchisurfDined on 10/11/2014It was good bit not great. We made a reservation 3 months ago because it was so hard to get one. We had 1-2 appetizer, pasta and pizza. Except the desserts, all were too salty. I wouldn't come back again for the price you pay.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/3/2014Excellent food. Interesting ingredients. Friendly and professional service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Small portionsOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/2/2014The portions are a little small to suit me. The noise level, like most SF places, is ridiculously loud. Why the need to play such loud music? THe food was decent.
- Loved itOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/29/2014We went here to celebrate our 10 year wedding anniversary!! It was a perfect restaraunt for that!! Great food and great serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best pasta ever!BinnyDined on 9/28/2014Being a vegetarian never thought there was so many good options in pasta dishes.Special Features:
- Overrated but fairFoodfunVIPDined on 9/28/2014Food was fair ....small portions ...nice staff....but really overrated.....there are better Italian/ pizzarestaurants with less hype in San Francisco.....but I'm not sorry I tried itSpecial Features:
- Good..but didn't match all the Hypeluv2eatDined on 9/27/2014Big expectations going into this restaurant for service & food but was not greatly impressed. Been quoted as "One of the best in the city" from many of my SF foodie friends...not agreeing with that too many other great places in the city.Special Features:
- blahOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/26/2014I expected more. The service was terrible. The bread was excellent but the tuna appetizer tasted like canned tuna, the pasta with roasted pork was nothing to talk about and the pizza was burnt in most places and raw and undercooked in other spots. The wine was very good but overpriced. Not worth the wait.Special Features:
- Great food, Small portionsNicoleDined on 9/25/2014We loved the food! great quality and outstanding flavours, however we must say the size of the pasta portions are extremely small for the high price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad customer serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/25/2014The only thing good about this restaurant is the food. Everything else runs like a money machine. It is not a place that I would come back. You leave the restaurant not satisfied and the disappointment with the service is 100%. For the price paid, they MUST find a way to offer a better service. I can have better satisfaction somewhere else, that is for sure. Plus, their Tasting Menu, at dinner, is not felling. The portions are way too small. It does not matter it is a "tasting menu", it's dinner time fort God's sake!!! That was a bad mistake from the server for NOT telling us that the Tasting Menu would not be enough food. To end the dinner, they did not accept our gift card from OpenTable. Such bad customer service and bad business!
- over-hyped?SpartyVIPDined on 9/23/2014Three of us had the pasta tasting menu with the wine pairing. The pour on the wine was quite generous and was thoughtfully paired with all the dishes. The pasta courses, while pretty good on their own individually, felt fairly redundant. It seemed like all the pasta was cut from the same dough, with no variation in texture or flavor...just different shapes. Every sauce was butter based as well, which lead to a heavy meal that became laborious to eat at the meal went on. It would have been nice to break up the tasting with something tomato based or with a bit of tang to cut into all that butter. I'd probably give it another go because all in all the food and atmosphere was pretty good, but order a la carte instead of the tasting menu.Special Features:
- great experiencesonjamaddDined on 9/19/2014excellent food, service and ambiance. really enjoyed it both times i went...Special Features:
- Delicious!ChelseaStVIPDined on 9/19/2014Flour + Water never disappoints! All of the pasta and pizza dishes are amazing and you can tell everything down to the dough is made in house. Love this place!Special Features:
- Gone downhill!SFfoodieVIPDined on 9/17/2014We were so surprised to find that this gem has gone downhill. We arrived on time for our reservation, but had to wait over 20 minutes to be seated. At one point someone came over to us and offered to get us a drink, then immediately turned his back on us an dashed away before we could ask for anything! The restaurant was overflowing with waitstaff who seemed confused and clueless. It seemed that many of them were just being trained, and at our expense, as we were shunted aside while the staff trained each other. Service was chaotic after we sat down. We received an unexpected pasta by way of apology, which was the best pasta we had that night, as the ones we ordered were substantially inferior to past experiences. Alas! What gives?
- DeliciousstephonzDined on 9/16/2014Absolutely amazingly delicious, smaller sized portions though But, the best pasta I've ever had! Great atmosphere,super friendly staff Would love to come back in I'm in SF againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great pastaPinkyDined on 9/15/2014Definitely try the pasta - very delicious - made in house fresh. The very dark chocolate dessert was very good also.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- better in the pastOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/15/2014Early table in an empty restaurant. Food came out fast fast fast. Flavors were nothing special. The pasta dishes that were amazing in the past were nothing special at all - the kind of food you'd expect from an ok dinner. The fact that the food was only warm when it was served didn't help a bit. Service was slip shod at best. They offered a spoon to eat a meat terrine (pate') with and were clearing plates that still had food on them without asking if we were finished. Expensive, uncaring, ok food from a kitchen that has lost it's luster. Place was still empty when we left - could find no reason they wanted us in and out so quickly.
- Thank YouOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/5/2014We truly enjoyed our experience at Flour + Water. Everything from the waiter; to the food, drinks and dessert were great until our departure. We will definitely be back in the near future.Special Features:
- Great food but music too loudOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/1/2014Food was great, but we couldn't even talk over the music!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GilltonDined on 8/31/2014It was a little disappointing after hearing all the good reports. It was OK but not special as we had been lead to believe.
- Could have been better...SlaterVIPDined on 8/31/2014I love this restaurant and have had incredibly delicious, memorable meals when I've eaten here. But not this last time. Everything was overly salty. When I told a server, he was super friendly and accommodating about it and had our main courses re-made. I was not expecting that! He thanked me for telling him as well. While the service was great as usual, the food was still below their standard, even once it was re-made with less salt. Perhaps I came at an off time with their rotating menu, who knows...Special Features:
- A Gem in San Francisco!!GREATVIPDined on 8/28/2014Delicious meal and excellent service combined with a vibrant ambient.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lived up to the HypeKristieVIPDined on 8/27/2014Food was great, wine was great, service was great... Definitely lived up to the hype!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfection as alwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/26/2014Fantastic, fresh food, Hall & Oates in the background and perfectly dimmed for romance.Special Features:
- Pasta LoveDallasfoodiesDined on 8/22/2014The pasta was really good & very creative. The pasta with rabbit was incredible. The pizza was good but nothing special. I've had better pizza many other places! If you stick to the pastas you will really like this place.Special Features:
- Pretty GoodNicTaylorDined on 8/22/2014Second time here, not quite as good as my first trip but still a good night. We had a reservation for 7:30pm and they said they were running 10-15 minutes behind, we were seated 30 minutes late (made the reservation 60 days earlier), I would have expected a little something for having us wait 30 minutes past our reservation. We also asked our server for some bread when we were seated and she forgot to bring it to us so we had to ask again 10 minutes later. Our server never came back to check on us after our pizza's were delivered but another random server did. The eggplant pasta was a GREAT starter, very flavorful. Overall, good experience, but not amazing.Special Features: