Flour + Water
2401 Harrison Street
San Francisco, CA 94110Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Flour + Water
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://flourandwater.com/
- Phone: 4158267000x
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm
Friday- Saturday: 5:30pm - Midnight
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Thomas McNaughton
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Please contact the restaurant at email@example.com or via phone at 415-826-7005.
- Special Events: Flour + Water has three private dining spaces available: Test Kitchen, Dough Room & Butcher Block, with the largest having a capacity of 16 seated and 25 standing. The menu is highly seasonal and changes every day, so our chef prepares a special menu just for each group based on the best of what's available that day.
Inquire with our Director of Events, Kate Michels at firstname.lastname@example.org or via phone at 415-826-7005 for pricing and further information.
A word from Flour + Water
Fresh house-made pasta, wood-fired pizza, house-cured meats. It’s all about simple and authentic Italian food rooted in the south, executed with skill, expertise and old world standards of care. The defining goal of the restaurant for its ambiance and style of service is to make everyone feel welcome. "We feel very strongly about creating a ‘come as you are’ atmosphere in the restaurant."Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
Flour + Water - Best Restaurants in Mission ›
Flour + Water reviews from OpenTable diners
185 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (130)neighborhood gem (103)hot spot (81)special occasion (70)romantic (47)notable wine list (46)late-night find (29)good for groups (19)vibrant bar scene (12)kid-friendly (8)great for lunch (3)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Not what it used to beOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/20144 of us; late reservation. We came here in 2012 & had dinner 3 nights in a row. That's saying something. What I remember were informative servers, a good selection for vegetarians, high quality food and a generosity imbued in the place. This time, there were very few choices for psco-vegetarians, we had to request both water and bread repeatedly & our food ranged from not good to edible to good. Having to ask the server was annoying. My tuna was overdone on the outside and gamey tasting toward the inner, more rare part. My son's gnocchi was over vinegared & had to be sent back. It was replaced with a delicious dish. The budino and Meyer Lemon Tart were delicious. In general we felt rushed and as if we had to flag our server down constantly.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2001VIPDined on 10/18/2014We waited 40 minutes after making reservation at 9:15 a month ago. They didnot offer bread or drinks while we were waiting. We told them several time we were starving.Special Features:
- yum!smm12Dined on 10/18/2014this place was delicious! we got several pastas, the funghi pizza, and a few secondis and salads for the table. the pastas were first-rate. will definitely come back.Special Features:
- SIMPLY THE BEST!SheilaF123Dined on 10/17/2014FOOD WAS UNBELIEVABLE!!! Too many incredible choices to narrow it down to a few. Served family style allowing you the luxury of tasting it all. Seating is tight, and room a bit loud... But this would not deter me from returning again and again! Make reservations EARLY in your trip planning phase. Service impeccable!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- overratedchisurfDined on 10/11/2014It was good bit not great. We made a reservation 3 months ago because it was so hard to get one. We had 1-2 appetizer, pasta and pizza. Except the desserts, all were too salty. I wouldn't come back again for the price you pay.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/3/2014Excellent food. Interesting ingredients. Friendly and professional service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Small portionsOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/2/2014The portions are a little small to suit me. The noise level, like most SF places, is ridiculously loud. Why the need to play such loud music? THe food was decent.
- Loved itOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/29/2014We went here to celebrate our 10 year wedding anniversary!! It was a perfect restaraunt for that!! Great food and great serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best pasta ever!BinnyDined on 9/28/2014Being a vegetarian never thought there was so many good options in pasta dishes.Special Features:
- Overrated but fairFoodfunVIPDined on 9/28/2014Food was fair ....small portions ...nice staff....but really overrated.....there are better Italian/ pizzarestaurants with less hype in San Francisco.....but I'm not sorry I tried itSpecial Features:
- Good..but didn't match all the Hypeluv2eatDined on 9/27/2014Big expectations going into this restaurant for service & food but was not greatly impressed. Been quoted as "One of the best in the city" from many of my SF foodie friends...not agreeing with that too many other great places in the city.Special Features:
- blahOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/26/2014I expected more. The service was terrible. The bread was excellent but the tuna appetizer tasted like canned tuna, the pasta with roasted pork was nothing to talk about and the pizza was burnt in most places and raw and undercooked in other spots. The wine was very good but overpriced. Not worth the wait.Special Features:
- Great food, Small portionsNicoleDined on 9/25/2014We loved the food! great quality and outstanding flavours, however we must say the size of the pasta portions are extremely small for the high price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad customer serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/25/2014The only thing good about this restaurant is the food. Everything else runs like a money machine. It is not a place that I would come back. You leave the restaurant not satisfied and the disappointment with the service is 100%. For the price paid, they MUST find a way to offer a better service. I can have better satisfaction somewhere else, that is for sure. Plus, their Tasting Menu, at dinner, is not felling. The portions are way too small. It does not matter it is a "tasting menu", it's dinner time fort God's sake!!! That was a bad mistake from the server for NOT telling us that the Tasting Menu would not be enough food. To end the dinner, they did not accept our gift card from OpenTable. Such bad customer service and bad business!
- over-hyped?SpartyVIPDined on 9/23/2014Three of us had the pasta tasting menu with the wine pairing. The pour on the wine was quite generous and was thoughtfully paired with all the dishes. The pasta courses, while pretty good on their own individually, felt fairly redundant. It seemed like all the pasta was cut from the same dough, with no variation in texture or flavor...just different shapes. Every sauce was butter based as well, which lead to a heavy meal that became laborious to eat at the meal went on. It would have been nice to break up the tasting with something tomato based or with a bit of tang to cut into all that butter. I'd probably give it another go because all in all the food and atmosphere was pretty good, but order a la carte instead of the tasting menu.Special Features:
- great experiencesonjamaddDined on 9/19/2014excellent food, service and ambiance. really enjoyed it both times i went...Special Features:
- Delicious!ChelseaStDined on 9/19/2014Flour + Water never disappoints! All of the pasta and pizza dishes are amazing and you can tell everything down to the dough is made in house. Love this place!Special Features:
- Gone downhill!SFfoodieVIPDined on 9/17/2014We were so surprised to find that this gem has gone downhill. We arrived on time for our reservation, but had to wait over 20 minutes to be seated. At one point someone came over to us and offered to get us a drink, then immediately turned his back on us an dashed away before we could ask for anything! The restaurant was overflowing with waitstaff who seemed confused and clueless. It seemed that many of them were just being trained, and at our expense, as we were shunted aside while the staff trained each other. Service was chaotic after we sat down. We received an unexpected pasta by way of apology, which was the best pasta we had that night, as the ones we ordered were substantially inferior to past experiences. Alas! What gives?
- DeliciousstephonzDined on 9/16/2014Absolutely amazingly delicious, smaller sized portions though But, the best pasta I've ever had! Great atmosphere,super friendly staff Would love to come back in I'm in SF againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- better in the pastOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/15/2014Early table in an empty restaurant. Food came out fast fast fast. Flavors were nothing special. The pasta dishes that were amazing in the past were nothing special at all - the kind of food you'd expect from an ok dinner. The fact that the food was only warm when it was served didn't help a bit. Service was slip shod at best. They offered a spoon to eat a meat terrine (pate') with and were clearing plates that still had food on them without asking if we were finished. Expensive, uncaring, ok food from a kitchen that has lost it's luster. Place was still empty when we left - could find no reason they wanted us in and out so quickly.
- Thank YouOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/5/2014We truly enjoyed our experience at Flour + Water. Everything from the waiter; to the food, drinks and dessert were great until our departure. We will definitely be back in the near future.Special Features:
- Great food but music too loudOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/1/2014Food was great, but we couldn't even talk over the music!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GilltonDined on 8/31/2014It was a little disappointing after hearing all the good reports. It was OK but not special as we had been lead to believe.
- Could have been better...SlaterVIPDined on 8/31/2014I love this restaurant and have had incredibly delicious, memorable meals when I've eaten here. But not this last time. Everything was overly salty. When I told a server, he was super friendly and accommodating about it and had our main courses re-made. I was not expecting that! He thanked me for telling him as well. While the service was great as usual, the food was still below their standard, even once it was re-made with less salt. Perhaps I came at an off time with their rotating menu, who knows...Special Features:
- A Gem in San Francisco!!GREATVIPDined on 8/28/2014Delicious meal and excellent service combined with a vibrant ambient.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lived up to the HypeKristieVIPDined on 8/27/2014Food was great, wine was great, service was great... Definitely lived up to the hype!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfection as alwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/26/2014Fantastic, fresh food, Hall & Oates in the background and perfectly dimmed for romance.Special Features:
- Pasta LoveDallasfoodiesDined on 8/22/2014The pasta was really good & very creative. The pasta with rabbit was incredible. The pizza was good but nothing special. I've had better pizza many other places! If you stick to the pastas you will really like this place.Special Features:
- Pretty GoodNicTaylorDined on 8/22/2014Second time here, not quite as good as my first trip but still a good night. We had a reservation for 7:30pm and they said they were running 10-15 minutes behind, we were seated 30 minutes late (made the reservation 60 days earlier), I would have expected a little something for having us wait 30 minutes past our reservation. We also asked our server for some bread when we were seated and she forgot to bring it to us so we had to ask again 10 minutes later. Our server never came back to check on us after our pizza's were delivered but another random server did. The eggplant pasta was a GREAT starter, very flavorful. Overall, good experience, but not amazing.Special Features:
- A variety of pastayomiDined on 8/18/2014Flour + water is fame for its outstanding pasta, so finally my friend and I tried their pasta tasting. The five different pasta all have their unique flavor. Overall, I would say it was a special experience. Well, I have to admit some pasta are just not to my taste(like the pasta in tomato base soup) But for pasta which is not "too special", like beef raviolini, I really enjoy it. If I have a chance to come back again, I might try to order their regular menu and choose the pasta which is my taste.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best pasta in the known universeOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/14/2014While I love many of their dishes, it's their pastas that in my view really set them apart. We've taken to often ordering their pasta tasting menu which is for two, provides a small appetizer/salad 5 pasta dishes brought in succession, and the. A dessert. The portions are perfect, but the flavored even more so. This restaurant never disappoints but our dinner Saturday was the best ever with each dish nearing perfection. This restaurant continues to stand out and if I was forced to choose my last meal, I think I'd pick flour + water. Kudos!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/12/2014Second visit to Flour+Water and what a pleasure to see that our first spectacular time there wasn't a fluke. The salads... the pasta... the fennel pollen encrusted olives - all good. And the service and welcoming vibe - exemplary. Other notable restaurants in San Francisco could take a lesson from Flour+Water as to how to treat their customers.Special Features:
- Good spot, nice food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/11/2014Pasta is probably not worth the hype, though the bread and service were outstanding. Good food overall and a pleasant dining experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thumbs up for the foodAxurit66Dined on 8/7/2014Came here after work and at 10:45pm the place was still packed. Sat at the bar. Server as quick at the beginning to get my drink order in. But once that was done there was no more attention to my sit. The other waitress dropped of my food. Then it took a while to get his attention for clean up and dessert order. His recommendation for wine was good. The food and wine selection are on spot Just need to work in service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Would definitely come backluigimariemDined on 8/7/2014The food and service quality is simply superb. Great spot for all occasions. I would definitely come back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Why so popular?SmittyDined on 8/7/2014I'm giving 3 stars because I found the restaurant to be average. What is all the hubbub about this place? I made my 5:45 Thursday night reservation 6 weeks in advance (twice, I had to cancel my first reservation). I have no idea how long it would have taken to get a 6:30 or 7:00 spot. The food was good, but nothing special. The waitstaff, again good but nothing special. The environment nothing great, the artwork is awful. It was a nice evening, but I wouldn't write home about it. I was ready for a lovely dining experience - well appointed staff, white tablecloths, memorable food... Our bill for 2 was $120 including tip. We split 2 small plates, 1 entree, dessert and 2 glasses of wine. It was just the right amount of food.Special Features:
- Excellent meal had by alllivnlargeVIPDined on 8/5/2014Our family of 4 including 2 children (10, 13) all enjoyed our meals here. They do not have a kid's menu but we had no problem finding delicious options for them. We had the tagliatelle with beef that was amazing. The Capellacci dei briganti with rabbit (this was the table favorite) and the agnolotti dal plin (meat ravioli in butter/lemon sauce) that was also delicious. We also enjoyed the uovo pizza. The crust was light and chewy, so yummy! Also had the octopus anitpasti and bread salad - both were wiped clean by the table. We all really enjoyed our meal. Only downside was the wait even with a reservation. Stood in crowded bar area for a good 30 minutes before we were seated. Not a huge deal, but no real apologies about the wait.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, but didn't meet expectationsrosieVIPDined on 8/4/2014I ate here recently for the first time (finally!) - the food was good, but not great. Didn't live up to the hype. Plus, while our server was very friendly, the service itself was quite slow.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- hotspot restauranttrixieDined on 8/4/2014Went to a recent dinner at flour and water after hearing about this place a lot. The food was good but not great. Octopus appetizer was great. Pasta with beef was overly reasoned with salt. Very hard to eat and didn't finish. The pizzas were great and simple which was good following the saltiness of the pasta dish. Dessert was underwhelming and disappointing since it looked like no effort was put into it. The service was a bit weird. On way, the overall staff was good but our particular server was a bit off. When asked for bread, he said he was legally allowed to. But the table next to us got bread 10 minutes later. Also, when asked for wine recommendation, the wine itself did not go well with the food. Only a one time experience.Special Features:
- Bring friends & try everythingLanDDined on 8/1/2014We enjoyed the panzanella salad with heirloom tomatoes, a whole wheat pasta dish that was exceptional for texture and flavour, pizza was excellent. The dessert menu was so enticing we asked for all three and we typically never order dessert; the zucchini dish had a goat cheese stuffed blossom!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.