Flour + Water
2401 Harrison Street
San Francisco, CA 94110Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Flour + Water
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://flourandwater.com/
- Phone: 4158267000x
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm
Friday- Saturday: 5:30pm - Midnight
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Thomas McNaughton
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Please contact the restaurant at firstname.lastname@example.org or via phone at 415-826-7005.
- Special Events: Flour + Water has three private dining spaces available: Test Kitchen, Dough Room & Butcher Block, with the largest having a capacity of 16 seated and 25 standing. The menu is highly seasonal and changes every day, so our chef prepares a special menu just for each group based on the best of what's available that day.
Inquire with our Director of Events, Kate Michels at email@example.com or via phone at 415-826-7005 for pricing and further information.
A word from Flour + Water
Fresh house-made pasta, wood-fired pizza, house-cured meats. It’s all about simple and authentic Italian food rooted in the south, executed with skill, expertise and old world standards of care. The defining goal of the restaurant for its ambiance and style of service is to make everyone feel welcome. "We feel very strongly about creating a ‘come as you are’ atmosphere in the restaurant."Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
Flour + Water - Best Restaurants in Mission ›
Flour + Water reviews from OpenTable diners
160 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (116)neighborhood gem (81)special occasion (69)hot spot (69)notable wine list (48)romantic (46)late-night find (30)good for groups (13)vibrant bar scene (9)kid-friendly (7)great for lunch (1)Show More
- GilltonDined on 8/31/2014It was a little disappointing after hearing all the good reports. It was OK but not special as we had been lead to believe.
- A Gem in San Francisco!!GREATVIPDined on 8/28/2014Delicious meal and excellent service combined with a vibrant ambient.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lived up to the HypeKristieVIPDined on 8/27/2014Food was great, wine was great, service was great... Definitely lived up to the hype!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfection as alwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/26/2014Fantastic, fresh food, Hall & Oates in the background and perfectly dimmed for romance.Special Features:
- Pasta LoveDallasfoodiesDined on 8/22/2014The pasta was really good & very creative. The pasta with rabbit was incredible. The pizza was good but nothing special. I've had better pizza many other places! If you stick to the pastas you will really like this place.Special Features:
- Pretty GoodNicTaylorDined on 8/22/2014Second time here, not quite as good as my first trip but still a good night. We had a reservation for 7:30pm and they said they were running 10-15 minutes behind, we were seated 30 minutes late (made the reservation 60 days earlier), I would have expected a little something for having us wait 30 minutes past our reservation. We also asked our server for some bread when we were seated and she forgot to bring it to us so we had to ask again 10 minutes later. Our server never came back to check on us after our pizza's were delivered but another random server did. The eggplant pasta was a GREAT starter, very flavorful. Overall, good experience, but not amazing.Special Features:
- A variety of pastayomiDined on 8/18/2014Flour + water is fame for its outstanding pasta, so finally my friend and I tried their pasta tasting. The five different pasta all have their unique flavor. Overall, I would say it was a special experience. Well, I have to admit some pasta are just not to my taste(like the pasta in tomato base soup) But for pasta which is not "too special", like beef raviolini, I really enjoy it. If I have a chance to come back again, I might try to order their regular menu and choose the pasta which is my taste.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best pasta in the known universeOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/14/2014While I love many of their dishes, it's their pastas that in my view really set them apart. We've taken to often ordering their pasta tasting menu which is for two, provides a small appetizer/salad 5 pasta dishes brought in succession, and the. A dessert. The portions are perfect, but the flavored even more so. This restaurant never disappoints but our dinner Saturday was the best ever with each dish nearing perfection. This restaurant continues to stand out and if I was forced to choose my last meal, I think I'd pick flour + water. Kudos!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/12/2014Second visit to Flour+Water and what a pleasure to see that our first spectacular time there wasn't a fluke. The salads... the pasta... the fennel pollen encrusted olives - all good. And the service and welcoming vibe - exemplary. Other notable restaurants in San Francisco could take a lesson from Flour+Water as to how to treat their customers.Special Features:
- Good spot, nice food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/11/2014Pasta is probably not worth the hype, though the bread and service were outstanding. Good food overall and a pleasant dining experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thumbs up for the foodAxurit66Dined on 8/7/2014Came here after work and at 10:45pm the place was still packed. Sat at the bar. Server as quick at the beginning to get my drink order in. But once that was done there was no more attention to my sit. The other waitress dropped of my food. Then it took a while to get his attention for clean up and dessert order. His recommendation for wine was good. The food and wine selection are on spot Just need to work in service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Would definitely come backluigimariemDined on 8/7/2014The food and service quality is simply superb. Great spot for all occasions. I would definitely come back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Why so popular?SmittyDined on 8/7/2014I'm giving 3 stars because I found the restaurant to be average. What is all the hubbub about this place? I made my 5:45 Thursday night reservation 6 weeks in advance (twice, I had to cancel my first reservation). I have no idea how long it would have taken to get a 6:30 or 7:00 spot. The food was good, but nothing special. The waitstaff, again good but nothing special. The environment nothing great, the artwork is awful. It was a nice evening, but I wouldn't write home about it. I was ready for a lovely dining experience - well appointed staff, white tablecloths, memorable food... Our bill for 2 was $120 including tip. We split 2 small plates, 1 entree, dessert and 2 glasses of wine. It was just the right amount of food.Special Features:
- Excellent meal had by alllivnlargeVIPDined on 8/5/2014Our family of 4 including 2 children (10, 13) all enjoyed our meals here. They do not have a kid's menu but we had no problem finding delicious options for them. We had the tagliatelle with beef that was amazing. The Capellacci dei briganti with rabbit (this was the table favorite) and the agnolotti dal plin (meat ravioli in butter/lemon sauce) that was also delicious. We also enjoyed the uovo pizza. The crust was light and chewy, so yummy! Also had the octopus anitpasti and bread salad - both were wiped clean by the table. We all really enjoyed our meal. Only downside was the wait even with a reservation. Stood in crowded bar area for a good 30 minutes before we were seated. Not a huge deal, but no real apologies about the wait.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, but didn't meet expectationsrosieVIPDined on 8/4/2014I ate here recently for the first time (finally!) - the food was good, but not great. Didn't live up to the hype. Plus, while our server was very friendly, the service itself was quite slow.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- hotspot restauranttrixieDined on 8/4/2014Went to a recent dinner at flour and water after hearing about this place a lot. The food was good but not great. Octopus appetizer was great. Pasta with beef was overly reasoned with salt. Very hard to eat and didn't finish. The pizzas were great and simple which was good following the saltiness of the pasta dish. Dessert was underwhelming and disappointing since it looked like no effort was put into it. The service was a bit weird. On way, the overall staff was good but our particular server was a bit off. When asked for bread, he said he was legally allowed to. But the table next to us got bread 10 minutes later. Also, when asked for wine recommendation, the wine itself did not go well with the food. Only a one time experience.Special Features:
- Bring friends & try everythingOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/1/2014We enjoyed the panzanella salad with heirloom tomatoes, a whole wheat pasta dish that was exceptional for texture and flavour, pizza was excellent. The dessert menu was so enticing we asked for all three and we typically never order dessert; the zucchini dish had a goat cheese stuffed blossom!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/28/2014The pasta tasting menu delighted us with flavors we've never encountered (but couldn't get enough of), and some of the best wine pairings we've experienced. It was a tremendous and memorable night at the dinner table!Special Features:
- Go for the fresh Pasta!PamEatsDined on 7/25/2014Delicious fresh pasta. There was only one option for vegetarians on the a la carte menu, but they were able to give us one of the dishes off the pasta tasting menu a la carte when we asked. Not so impressed with the sides, but loved loved loved the pasta!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Well worth it!shelman88VIPDined on 7/23/2014To get into this place I had to book a 5:30 on a Wednesday. Normally I don't like eating this early but for this place it was well worth it. The pizza was amazing, pasta was extremely fresh, and the food came very quickly. The restaurant was not yet buzzing but I'd have to imagine that by 8 p.m. this place would be fun to be at!Special Features:
- MehOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/19/2014Decent food but way overpriced. Not worth the hype.
- special placeimpressedVIPDined on 7/14/2014we loved our meal at flour and water. everything we ate was packed with exciting flavor. The service was friendly, attentive and added to our experience. Relaxed cool atmosphere. Want to return and return and return againSpecial Features:
- Great pastas!JorkDined on 7/12/2014We experienced excellent, creative & delicious pastas, salads, and seafood. Pizza & desserts were good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodMattDined on 7/10/2014I took my girlfriend here and we had the great time. The atmosphere is very social and the food was delicious. We had the Squid Appetizer, pappardelle and shared a pizza. The pizza was good but I would recommend the squid and papperdelle over ii if this is your first time there.Special Features:
- Solid placejrig27VIPDined on 7/10/2014I like this place for it's ambiance and good solid food. Pizzas and pastas are tasty.Special Features:
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/7/2014Everything about this meal was excellent. Our server paired wines for us with every course and for each pasta. One of the chefs recommended several great restaurants for us while we were in SF. Will definitely be back next time in SF.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent servicemissionloveDined on 7/7/2014Our hostess offered us seats at the bar because our reservation was running late- it turned out wonderfully. The bartender was excellent and knowledgable about the food, and our experience was great.Special Features:
- Great, so why wouldn't I recommend?EmilyDined on 7/6/2014The wait staff was knowledgable and friendly. The wine recommendation was spot on. The fruit salad was original and the pastas were yummy. So why the 3 stars? About three bites into our desserts, the check was placed on the table. No offer of another glass of wine, which my husband wanted. No offer of an after-dessert cup of tea, which I wanted. Staring at your bill while not even done with your food suggests one thing: you are on borrowed time and should leave because your hour and a half of allotted dinner time are up. This is a classless way to end a dining experience and leaves the diner with a bad taste in their mouth no matter how good the food was.Special Features:
- Worth waiting forKarlRDined on 7/3/2014We couldn't get in until 9:15 It is soooo worth the wait. Both wines they suggested were remarkable. We "over ordered" intentionally to try more items and "thought" we would take the remaking home.... Didn't happen...are it all. Chocolate Budino is a must for chocolate lovers! Now stop reading and make an open table reservation!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingFresyesDined on 7/3/2014Was thrilled to get a reservation when we were going to be in San Francisco for the weekend. Didn't feel it lived up to the hype. Zucca pizza was interesting - good flavors except the crust was charred black & soggy from too many toppings. Pappardelle noodles were stuck together. The green beans were drowning in oil. Highlights - the panzanella and the chocolate budino. I wish we'd had a bigger party so we could have tried more dishes. Maybe we just struck out with our choices. Service was good, music was too loud.
- OutstandingAnneDined on 7/1/2014My family and I had the best dinner here during our 5 night stay in San Francisco. Everything was so delicious from the sourdough bread before dinner, excellent pizza and pastas as well as amazing vegetables, so fresh and vibrant in our appetizers. Coming from Chicago we appreciate great food and this really lived up to our expectations! Highly recommend Flour + Water.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decent food, poor serviceDisappointedDined on 7/1/2014We arrived 15 minutes early for a 715 reservation and were sat 20 minutes after our reservation time, with no apology and an annoyed, hurried attitude. Our waiter was like a ghost, seemingly popping up to frighten us and then leaving and not returning. Our appetizers were fine, though not impressive as we had been led to believe, and then a half hour passed before our entrees arrived. My fiance's pizza was again, fine, though not any better than San Francisco's other "artisan" pizza as we had been led to believe. My pasta was, I will admit, fantastic, though at $22 for about three bites, particularly after such a wait, was still not worth the cost. Seemed that Flour + Water was more concerned with "coolness" than experience.
- Flour + Water dining experience.luv2dineDined on 6/30/2014Enjoyed our first time there on a perfect warm evening! The service from the start was excellent. The servers were very knowledgeable and pleasant. Our food was tasteful and excitingly presented. The seared sea bass was so tasty moist and flaky.It was a perfect night for dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great italian wineOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 6/27/2014F+W has an amazing selection of Italian wine to accompany the great pastas they serve.Special Features:
- Great trial while visiting the cityronstoppabl3Dined on 6/26/2014I heard about this through word of mouth, and I did not regret it! Portions were decent, and the food was very very authentic. Make sure you try out their desert menuSpecial Features:
- I love Flour & Water.TruffleDinnerVIPDined on 6/22/2014The staff are super friendly and the waiter helped us to pick what we should order. He also appreciated that I am a Lambrusco fan. The food was very good and very interesting. We had the caponata (sp?) and the stone fruit salad. Both were delicious - ask for bread to go with the caponata. We had a pizza margarita, also very good. Then we had the corn pasta with the chocolate mint and holy moly. It was very unique and I'm glad we got it, even though I think we ordered the duck pasta! But sometimes it's good to just go with it. The peach gelato for dessert was a nice ending to the dinner. I'd really give it a 4.5 - almost perfect except for the music level and the slight delay in getting another glass of wine. But I'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!!!!ChettspDined on 6/22/2014We had a perfect summer meal: corn pasta and heirloom tomato salad--amazing waiter--will be back ASAP!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/21/2014....especially for a place that has a 75-day advance booking via Open Table. The service was low-stress and impeccable. The angilotti, caprese - everything was unique and stunning - with the ironic exception of the pizza. Ours came out with a soft, almost undercooked crust. Well, undercooked for the middle two thirds, then cooked well but overly doughy with too few toppings & sauce on the outer ring. It's not that it didn't taste good - but the texture was off. Or at least it seemed that way to us. It may be that we just didn't didn't know what to expect - 'cause we thought f+w was all about super-thin crispy pies. This is a minor thing. We were still talking yesterday about the great meal we had at Flour+WaterSpecial Features:
- Take earplugsWillyumDined on 6/20/2014While I'm no fan of thin crust pizza, those made by Flour and Water could make a convert of me ... delicious. Salads too are rave worthy. The service, even on a busy Saturday night, was just the right combination of attentive without becoming an annoyance. The only part of my experience that did annoy me was the extreme sound level of the patrons. I was totally unable to hear my dinner companion and left with my ears ringing from the acoustic abuse. That said, I'll keep going back for the food. It's that good. I'll be the guy in the noise protective ear muffs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best pasta in the cityJeanneVIPDined on 6/18/2014Everything is good, but the pasta is to die for. Innovative and excellently prepared. If you like pasta, you gotta try this restaurant. Too bad you can never get in because it's so popularSpecial Features: