1602 17th Street NW
Washington, DC 20009Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://florianarestaurant.com/
- Phone: 2026675937
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:30pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Comfort Food
- Executive Chef: Scott Perry
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Please contact for information.
- Private Party Contact: Rachel Tapper 2026675937
A word from Floriana
Floriana offers authentic Italian recipes with handmade pastas in the most comfortable of environments. Located in DC's Dupont Circle neighborhood, in a historic brick stone row house that has been converted into a cozy restaurant, but hasn't given up the feel of coming over to someones home for dinner. Offering a seasonal menu of fresh and local ingredients Floriana has developed a reputation for consistent, high quality, authentic, feel good dishes at a great value. Our pledge of superior service is matched only by our ability to make every guest feel welcome and comfortable when joining us for a DC dining experience.We pay special attention to every guest that chooses Floriana.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Floriana reviews from OpenTable diners
259 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (176)great for outdoor dining (136)romantic (132)fit for foodies (125)special occasion (112)notable wine list (83)great for brunch (50)great for lunch (27)good for groups (24)vibrant bar scene (21)hot spot (19)kid-friendly (17)scenic view (17)late-night find (13)Show More
- Italy in DCgoodeatsVIPDined on 8/31/2014Whenever I come to DC this is one of the must go to's for me. I love the variety of Italian Regional dishes. Sunday and Wednesday half off any bottle of wine is a deal you can't beat. Grat location in Dupont.Special Features:
- Hit or MissdinneroutDined on 8/31/2014In all, the food was good but also expensive. I had the "Shrimp Cocktail" - Do NOT order it. It consisted of four medium/small sized shrimp, hot, over-seasoned, with a little chopped tomato on top. Definitely not worth the price. I also had the seafood Risotto, which was ok but could have used more seafood for what I was paying. Nice wine list and the waiter was good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/31/2014Service and food were certainly B+! We enjoyed the scallops and salmon dishes. I look forward to returning soon for a pasta dish.Special Features:
- Yummy again!JulieDined on 8/29/2014Had a great meal outside on a gorgeous night. Ian took great care of us and the food was yummy as usual!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Group dinnervanessa317Dined on 8/29/2014We had a group of old grad school buddies - ten people came and we had our own room, with amazing ambiance, service. I picked this restaurant quickly and I feel like I have never been happier with a restaurant for a group setting like that. Food was just delicious.Special Features:
- Excellent ItalianJCS531Dined on 8/24/2014The character of an old DC brick row house, good wine list, great food and friendly, efficient service and up to a casually elegant evening out. Try the Zuca ravioli - delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Horrible serviceTravelingDined on 8/22/2014I took my girlfriend to this place after it was highly recommended by a friend. Upon arrival we were seated in the middle of the restaurant. Then we waited 10 mins before anyone came to take a drink order. Good was decent. Service was horrible. The guy was more worried about his social status than the guest. I asked several times for a drink refill. After we received our check the waiter dropped dirty dishes down my back and then thought it was funny!!! Never again will I spend 80 dollars for horrible service and to be treated rudely.
- Beautiful spotouttoomuchDined on 8/22/2014What a pleasant surprise. The food at Floriana was as good as the lovely ambiance. The restored townhouse is quaint and cozy, a perfect date night. The food was above standard Italian fare- the arancini (riceballs) were top notch. Would definitely recommend to couples as well as families.Special Features:
- Old standby has a new chefpragmaticgourmetVIPDined on 8/21/2014And a new vibe: host was welcoming and easy going. Our server was low key, self-deprecating, and always smiling. The host (one of the owners) explained that they'd extended restaurant week menu and would even accept our Living Social coupon if we took advantage of the $35 fixed price menu. We did, though I paid extra for the filet mignon (well worth it). The meal was fabulous--everything prepared and presented to perfection. The owner later explained that they'd hired a new chef about 6 months ago, which explained some of the menu changes. We're looking forward to our next dinner here, when we'll be sure to try at least one of the pasta dishes. We got a taste this time: The duck breast was accompanied by sweet potato gnocchi--delish.Special Features:
- Fine ItalianJudahman79Dined on 8/18/2014While there may be more notable Italian dining in the DC area, Floriana is one of the finest. The character of the venue sets the mood and the food is fresh and authentic. Wait staff are welcoming and professional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic eveningBAeatsDined on 8/17/2014Perfect for Romantic evenings or intimate groups; beautiful setting within a historic DC townhouse. Homemade pasta is just like in Italy. Desserts are only slightly above average.Special Features:
- Pleasant eveningsatine416VIPDined on 8/17/2014We had a very pleasant experience at this restaurant from start to finish. We actually managed to get seats outside so I did not see the interior, but the outdoor setup was adorable. Waiter was friendly but very professional. Really took care of us and attended to our needs, making sure the pace of the meal was leisurely rather than rushed so we could enjoy our time together. For food, I enjoyed the roasted cauliflower appetizer, which was complex and divine, and the squash ravioli, which had a nice balance between sweet and savory flavors. Good wines by the glass, as well, and interesting other menu items for the future. Worth a visit, and would gladly return.Special Features:
- Another great dinnerBuckerVIPDined on 8/17/2014Food was fabulous as usual. Service was a bit off, slow actually, which is rarely the case there and I really didn't care for our waiter. He actually seemed to be avoiding us much of the time. Love dining out on the patio.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best YetEstragonDined on 8/16/2014Floriana -- noisy, less than spacious, and difficult to park close to -- lives and dies on the quality of its Italian food. Last Saturday the food was the best yet. Black gnocchi, mussels pomodoro, beet salad, sea scallops, strawberry-basil tart, and a special bottle of Pleiades red wine made for a very special, yet not overly expensive, Restaurant Week dinner. The current chef has been in the kitchen about six months; working with some menu staples and some of his own creations, he is excellent. The wine list has been expanded, although some of the best bottles cry out for expense account dining. The wait staff and manager were mostly new; they did their jobs with efficiency and style. Close-set tables encourage conversations nearby.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Neighborhood EatsDCbeachbumDined on 8/13/2014I always enjoy eating at Floriana and eat there often since I live in the neighborhood. The bread and pesto they serve while perusing the menu is delish. The menu is varied and interesting and they have a decent wine selection and cocktail list. Service is always prompt and attentive, but not invasive. Happy to have it in my neighborhood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant Week and Living Social!jseelkeDined on 8/13/2014We initially went here because of a Living Social voucher. We were pleasantly surprised that we could use it with Restaurant Week. Overall the food was good (the corn soup, the caprese salad, two different pastas)...the service was great as well. The one knock on the Floriana that I would say is the price...even with the restaurant week deal and the voucher, we ended up paying $65 with tip. It would have been much more without the RW deal...I think it's a good place, but not sure I would go back without the extra deals...Special Features:
- Horrendous ServiceHungryEaterVIPDined on 8/11/2014The food was delicious, but the service was awful. My friend arrived 25 minutes early and was seated. He wasn't offered any water, wine or bread. I arrived at the time of my reservation. I was seated and my friend and I sat at the table for ten minutes before our server came and asked if we wanted something to drink. I watched as the people at the table to my left and my right were served water, had their bread replenished and food served before anyone uttered a word to us. The night only got worse. The waiter was very inattentive and had no clue at how horrible his service was. The executive chef did come to our table to give us his card (so he could email us a recipe). Before we left, my friend told him how horrible the service was.Special Features:
- Why Restaurant Week is a Good IdeaOmnivoriousDined on 8/11/2014Florina is one of those places I've driven by a million times but never got around to eating at, so took a chance on restaurant week. I'd say the food was good, but not outstanding. A solid performance. The service was quite good, especially since they were packed for restaurant week. I'd certainly go again, and if you're in the neighborhood it's worth a visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant Week VisitWldTrvlBillDined on 8/11/2014Unlike many other DC spots, Floriana has no special pre-fixe menu during Restaurant Week. What a bonus. We got to chose a starter, entree and desert, all from the regular menu. (N.B. The Filet Mignon is extra!) If you like great Italian food, this is the place. The service was great and included visits from the Executive Chef. Wine choices are good and prices are right. While this is a neighborhood place, we traveled from Alexandria, to again sample the great food. We were not disappointed and shall return.Special Features:
- Delightful Dinner at FlorianaNaptownDinerDined on 8/8/2014My husband and I celebrated our wedding anniversary here last Friday evening. Although the outdoor seating looked tempting, we chose to eat indoors and had a nice table overlooking 17th Street. My husband ordered the tortolloni mignon and I had the duck breast. Both dishes were very good. Our server, Marco, was warm and attentive and he made great wine suggestions to go with our meals. The crowning touch of the evening was a delicious tiramisu to share and a lovely handwritten card on restaurant stationary, wishing us a happy anniversary. On the way out, the proprietor, Dino, thanked us for coming. We look forward to dining at Floriana again.Special Features:
- Very good food!acallDined on 8/7/2014My husband and I thought the food was great! The bread and pesto spread were yummy! The waiter was nice but seemed a little flustered. Tables were too small! But overall the food is what really counts and it was delicious!Special Features:
- Great Italian food!pmjedwardsVIPDined on 8/6/2014Went on a Wednesday, bottles of wine are half-priced, as is the case sunday. The food is well executed and nice, not over sized, portions. Service was ok, but all that meant was we had longer to enjoy the wine. Definitely will go back.Special Features:
- Birthday brunchJamieVIPDined on 8/3/2014I went to Floriana this past Sunday to celebrate a friend's Birthday. We dined outside and had a fabulous brunch, as always. The ingredients in each of the dishes we ordered were fresh, and everything tasted delicious. The price points are fantastic, which is why I am a regular. Additionally, our waiter knew it was my friends birthday and treated him to a tiramisu on the house, AND a birthday card at the end of our meal. I've never seen a restaurant give a card with a dessert. My friend was so touched- it really made the whole experience special. Thanks to Floriana for always giving us great service, excellent food and wonderful memories. We will be back, soon and often!Special Features:
- Loving night, eating outsideghs33ugaVIPDined on 8/2/2014My wife and I had a lovely evening in the outside seating area. It started with us grabbing a glass of wine at the bar downstairs, and then carrying it to our table when the seating was ready. The appetizer of the Arancini balls was plentiful and flavorful. 5 balls was a very substantial and welcome portion. For the meal, I enjoyed the Tortolloni Mignon. The ground tenderloin melted in your mouth, and the tomato cream sauce was the perfect accompaniment. My wife spoke very fondly of the Goat Cheese Agnolotti. The butter sauce for the dish was particularly wonderful according to her. All in all we had a wonderful evening, with tremendous service, at this neighborhood Italian spot. I would highly recommend this place!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/2/2014Great place to go. Nice quiet evening outside on the patio made this an excellent birthday dinner. Would go next time in the city to visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Glad we found it.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/1/2014Went on Open Table and found this great restaurant when looking for dinner while visiting family in DC. Price seemed typical, loved the setting, waiter was terrific and food was delicious. What more do you need? Highly recommend you give it a try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Date Night EatOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/30/2014Great little quaint, romantic, delicious rowhouse turned Italian restaurant in DuPont that is well worth a visit.Special Features:
- Great serviceJhb20Dined on 7/29/2014The server was available when we needed him, was happy to make recommendations when we needed to choose between dishesSpecial Features:
- Overall, Would RecommendChristineDined on 7/27/2014Made a reservation in a hurry for here at 9:30 p.m. on a Sunday, because our original place was closing earlier than expected. We weren't disappointed - the food was great! Service, on the other hand, was not the best. Our server seemed like he didn't care to be there, and was very impersonal and not very friendly. Nonetheless, the food made up for it. Would recommend if you're looking for good eats in Dupont Circle.Special Features:
- Ho humWineguyVIPDined on 7/26/2014Service is extremely slow and frazzled. The food is very pedestrian and ho hum. Ceiling fan placement under the room light produces an annoying flickering effect with the lighting not to mention the table candle is extinguished. Been there done this place- wont go back.
- keeps getting betterGraceBobVIPDined on 7/25/2014From Dito downstairs, to the Italian Ribs upstairs, plus a huge wine and lots of great drink options this restaurant is getting everything right. Nice and cozy, the old row house can get busy, and can sometimes seems stuffy. Service is always great even if the room is a little too warm; so dress casually and have a great time. Looking forward to another visit.Special Features:
- LovesLifeDined on 7/25/2014We had a nice dinner. Good food. Had drinks, appetizers and dinner. Our table was not ready when we arrived, so we headed to the bar for a drink, which was fine. The experience was a bit tarnished when immediately after being handed our receipt to sign, the host told us he needed our table but would buy us a drink downstairs for the inconvenience. I was a little put off by this, as we hadn't dawdled in our meal and were delayed getting to our table to begin with, and didn't really appreciate being hurried. When we went to the bar, it was evident that the drinks that he was 'buying' for us were not of the same quality that we had been served before when we were paying (lower quality and lesser amount) which was a disappointing end.Special Features:
- Overall, a great restaurantculinarianDined on 7/20/2014You can tell a lot goes into the food. Outstanding presentation and the Chef even came out to talk to my brother who has a severe milk and dairy allergy. He was personable, same with our server, Ian. Everyone was welcoming. Great food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!CarolDined on 7/20/2014Food here was outstanding. It wasn't busy when I went, which is why I was surprised that the service was a little slow. But great restaurant.Special Features:
- Keeps improvingRonGVIPDined on 7/19/2014A new chef has started since we were last here a few months ago. He has taken the pastas to a new level. The corn soup and the shrimp special were outstanding, but the star of the meal was the ice cream sandwich dessert. The BEST oatmeal raisin cookies that I have ever eaten. Our server, Fred, was excellent--helpful, friendly, efficient, etc.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- jwjhetwillsVIPDined on 7/19/2014Food was very good!. Excellent outdoor scene. Wines a little pricey, but decent.Special Features:
- Superb Italian FoodLizElizabethDined on 7/18/2014The fresh bread and herb oil that is served makes a great dipping snack for the Rock Shrimp and Black Gnocci in tomato sauce! We also ordered the Brussell Sprouts with Pancetta which were really, really delicious. The homemade pastas were rich and satisfying but not too large of a portion so we didn't leave stuffed. I was most impressed with the wine that we ordered - the Rhiannon meritage. It was lovely with all of our courses. We plan on becoming regulars at this place!!Special Features:
- Food Quality DecliningOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/17/2014Floriana's food has declined over the past few dining experiences I've had there. Some of my favorite items don't taste as good as they used to.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this Place!MikeLLoganDined on 7/17/2014Have been dining here for years and love the constant improvement. Ditto the owner takes great pride in his restaurant and has chosen the most capable of general managers in his new GM Jamie! There isn't anything on the menu I don't like (save foods I just don't like) but they are always serving new, delicious dishes!!Special Features:
- Always SatisfiedShesgoingpl8cesDined on 7/16/2014This place never disappoints. I'm always excited to bring newbies to the restaurant for the Floriana Experience! It is definitely on my list of favorites.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.