Flores & the Ladies Gunboat Society
2024 Sawtelle Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90025Neighborhood:
West Los Angeles
SouthernPrice: $31 to $50
Flores & the Ladies Gunboat Society
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.floreslosangeles.com/
- Phone: (424) 273-6469
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm; Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm - 12:00am
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 11:00am - 02:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Southern
- Executive Chef: Brian Dunsmoor
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Flores & the Ladies Gunboat Society
Flores and the Ladies Gunboat Society is a market driven restaurant specializing in country cuisine. We offer local/handcrafted California wines and beers. Beautiful outdoor and indoor dining, as well as a pup-friendly patio.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
Flores & the Ladies Gunboat Society - Best Restaurants in West Los Angeles ›
Flores & the Ladies Gunboat Society reviews from OpenTable diners
128 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (97)great for outdoor dining (87)neighborhood gem (82)hot spot (35)good for groups (32)romantic (28)special occasion (28)great for brunch (15)great for lunch (12)vibrant bar scene (9)notable wine list (9)late-night find (8)scenic view (2)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- My Little Date Night at Flores Gbt SctyTheChancellor25Dined on 11/21/2014Wow. There's nothing quite like sitting across from the woman you love in a restaurant you're excited to be at. The menu? Huh! A new one every day, they must have quite a printer set up in the back! Water was promptly served out of a cool glass bottle (boho chic much? I don't know!) and the waitress was decently appropriate in behavior towards us. We under ordered and that seemed to mildly upset her, as if she knew she wasn't going to be getting a huge tip. Well hey, you know what? We're young and the restaurant is pretty expensive. And you know what else?? Splitting one entree turned out to be plenty of food. Flores Gbt Scty was a good vibe, good food and killer trax playing on the speaker. 10/10 would dine again. Ty Ty very much.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- grits grits grits!bistro65Dined on 11/16/2014I loved the biscuits, the shrimp and grits were amazing! The menu was very eclectic and all the dishes I saw looked delectable. Tables were a little close on the patio, so the servers had to struggle to get to some patrons. Unfortunately, my food came at least 5 or more minutes after my companion's. Did not like that at all. It took a little while to get the bill and my to-go box. Overall, great food, but service could use a refresher.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fit For FoodiesLADimSumGirlVIPDined on 11/15/2014Three out of four of us were foodies and loved the menu. One just wanted something basic (steak plain) - nothing added or substituted. We were advised that the chef does not like to do this, but he did, which we appreciated. But there was no "basic" side dish option. We felt that they accommodated our request with grace, but the experience for the non-foodie was less than stellar. For the foodies - we LOVED it! Just a word of caution for those of you with "steak and potatoes" friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/14/2014Stoked about this place. Service was amazing. Food was spectacular. All around awesome restaurant and very worth a visit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of My Favorite Restaurants in Los Angeles!YummyDined on 11/13/2014The service was great and the food is served family style. It was so good! It was not too crowded, and as a result, the noise level was not uncomfortable and we were able to have a lovely conversation, which is rare these days in Los Angeles. I cannot wait to go back! Don't miss the Trout or the Short Ribs!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Experience but...CTBackyardKitchenDined on 11/6/2014Went to celebrate wife's 60th bday which I mentioned in Open Table resv, but no mention of HB by Flores personnel,no problem,but would've been nice to acknowledge. Outside dining was nice.Expectations of our server were average: Here's why:(1)Would've been informative to say in eating family style that there is a lot of food to share. Ordered the fried chix; bread; salad; ribs; steak; pork chop for 1 child &my wife &I. I asked the server "do you think this is too much?" Reply was "no", well, we had too much food. (2) Server disappeared for long periods; (3) server dropped off a menu for dessert and walked away. (4)server took wrong order at adjacent table, brought wrong order&didn't sub for correct item. Braised rib, chicken were yummy.Special Features:
- ShelbsDined on 10/26/2014Charming gem of a restaurant with excellent food and friendly service. My new favorite restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- jjackflashVIPDined on 10/25/2014In a half-empty restaurant before 6 on a Saturday, it took over 25 minutes to receive a dozen oyster first course. Obviously, they have insufficient kitchen staff to handle oysters and should not be serving them. Servers were unapologetic for the delay.
- Great addition to Little OsakaSearchingKatDined on 10/15/2014Wonderful place in the midst of ramen and tofu bars. Southern food with a local flair. Not to be missed!Special Features:
- WonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/10/2014Really great place. The food was wonderful and our waitress was more than willing to discuss what we should get. We ended up opting for the shrimp boil, the rabbit and the chicken livers for the two of us. Which we were warned was quite a bit of food - but we really wanted to try all three and we were not disappointed at all. The wine was excellent and the pours generous too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My new favorite spot!GenmyoDined on 10/9/2014How excited was I to find Flores and The Ladies Gunboat Society was very close to me? So excited that when I had my Boys Night Out gathering I had to introduce it to the guys. Our 7pm reservation ended with us being the last ones in the place and the waiters packing up the chairs - that's how good an evening we had. After many a drink and no less than 3 helpings of the grits we laughed and ate ourselves into a comfortable bliss. Best for me is that it is close to home so it has now become my new favorite go-to-spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Interesting menuoverpricedVIPDined on 10/4/2014The menu was interesting, although it was seasonal so the things I saw from pictures on other websites weren't available (soft shell crab sandwich), which was somewhat disappointing. The beer list was overpriced ($9 for a draft beer??). I wish there was a bigger wine selection by the glass. Annoyed they tried to charge $7 for some bread that should have been provided FREE before the meal. But overall I liked the original menu and I'm interested to return again for brunch.Special Features:
- Fantastic dining experienceStp616Dined on 9/27/2014The menu was one of the most interesting I have seen in awhile. We two things that really stood out were the chicken fried rabbit and the Louisiana shrimp boil. The atmosphere is great. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- one and doneOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/26/2014had a small bd dinner here the other night an i must say i was disappointed. the food was good, nothing to make me rush back. polenta and shrimp boil were good, nice portions. the service on the other hand was horrible. had one of those arrogant hipster idiot waiters who knows nothing about the service industry and apparently does want to know. too bad. moving on.
- DebSDined on 9/26/2014Food was well presented, well prepared and delicious; service was friendly and attentive; energy was high but not frenetic. All in all an enjoyable dining experience. Hoppin John and Tomato and Fried Okra were two standout dishes. We'll be back to work our way through the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Does it againBoaterbobDined on 9/25/2014Four of us went to Flores for dinner Thursday night and it couldn't have been better! I have been several times but the rest of our party was there for the first time. They can't stop saying how good it was, how great the food tasted and our service was excellent! Will definitely be back.Special Features:
- innovative foodconsDined on 9/21/2014Really creative dishes, great for sharing & delicious! Fantastic atmosphere for outside dining. The service was extremely attentive & thorough, even with our large group..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GoodFoodie2ShoesDined on 9/21/2014Met a girlfriend at Flores & the Ladies Gunboat Society for Sunday brunch. We were seated in the back patio, which was lovely and comfortable and shaded - just perfect for a warm and sunny L.A. day. Service was prompt and friendly. I had the fried rabbit and waffles, and my girlfriend had the country fried chicken, which she said was very good. My meal was also very good. The rabbit was done nicely - crispy outside, tender inside, but honestly it tasted like chicken. I left feeling like I should've just gone to Roscoe's. Having said that, it's still very likely that I'll go back to Flores and try other things from the menu. I guess I just wanted to be more impressed. Our server made a great pilsner recommendation though!Special Features:
- AverageMB01VIPDined on 9/20/2014I read the great reviews so I was expecting the restaurant to be better than it was, not that anything was bad, but I really didn't think the food was anything special, so we won't be back.
- A nice surprise!RebeccaSVIPDined on 9/19/2014The restaurant advertises southern food, but it is really food made with typical southern ingredients combined with other flavors. The result is quite flavorful and satisfying. I would prefer to return with more people. All dishes are served family style. With a larger group, everyone can try everything without feeling full. We had only two and were too full to order dessert! The rainbow trout was superb!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not worth itFoodieGiantVIPDined on 9/14/2014I came here because I liked Heart & the Hunter. The place was quite empty. The shrimp and watermelon had a good mix of flavors, sweet and savory with different textures. I would recommend that. But then I had the rabbit and waffles. Incredibly bland. The waffle was like an edible foam rubber mold that even syrup could not save. The rabbit was so bad, not flavor, no seasoning. It looked good on the plate, but that was it. No seasoning in the frying. DO NOT waste your money by ordering the rabbit. Be better to order a piece of plain stale bread. Probably have more flavor...
- Excellent RestaurantphilVIPDined on 9/13/2014This is a really great restaurant. Very good food. Service is friendly yet professional. Will definitely go back!Special Features:
- terrible experience.floreshasterribleserviceDined on 9/13/2014called to make a reservation & whoever picked up said i could only make one online. so i did & requested the dog patio but the restaurant never read my reservation or the note attached which specifically requested the dog patio. so we waited 35 minutes for our table. the hostess was very nice but apologized by telling us the owner was the one who answered the phone. then the server said we should expect the food to come out family style. which meant my mom got here entree about 10 minutes after my sister. my ribeye was smothered in mushrooms which weren't mentioned on the menu; sent it back & told the manager they need to list mushrooms on the menu & he said our server should have told us. cost m $300 and it was a terrible experience.
- Another lovely mealSearchingKatDined on 9/9/2014This is the third time I've eaten at this restaurant and it just keeps getting better. Really great on all levels. Just hope the Westside hipsters don't find out about it and ruin it. I fear that will happen as the diner next to me was some famous chef/restauranteur who kept name dropping all night, i.e., "my friend Mario who I traveled with in Italy this summer along with Miguel Stipe".Special Features:
- Good foodSatisfiedVIPDined on 9/7/2014Very good trout. Expensive bread-rip off. Pretty noisy but very attractive popular place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food, not to be missed.patchyDined on 9/6/2014This was recommended by a friend and I was not sure what to expect, but the food was absolutely delicious. They serve southern type dishes with a modern take and everything we ordered had us exclaiming that it was the best thing we'd ever eaten. From the oysters and watercress salad to the chicken fried rabbit and whole trout all the flavors were spot on. Plates were shared so nothing left you feeling too heavy. I would highly recommend this and will be going back to try their fried chicken dinner that they do from 5:30-6:30 everyday.Special Features:
- AllyVIPDined on 9/6/2014Extremely noisy -- even outdoors. Food was overly salty and disappointing. Better on a previous visit. We won't be returning.
- Great Southern-inspired foodLecosDined on 8/29/2014Flores serves southern cuisine with an eye toward foodies. They offer inspired interpretations of southern standards without the heaviness southern food can sometimes have. Presentation is pleasing without being fussy. The food is both elegant and down-home feeling at the same time. We had the Hoppin' John and the stuffed quail served family style. Both were quite tasty and satisfying. Service was friendly and relaxed. A definite must-try for anyone looking for a dining adventure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Home cooking re-imaginedpabloDined on 8/27/2014The food here is southern influenced and delicious. The whole trout was especially good. Some dishes, like the grits were not stunning, but overall, the dining experience was enjoyable and the service was friendly. They make rolls here that one server referred to as crack. He was right. I would definitely consider going back.Special Features:
- Fantastic ever timeOccasionaldinerDined on 8/24/2014This is the 4th time we've had dinner and it does not disappoint. Fried chicken and beer happy hour? Doesn't get better than this. But it did, the grits and yeast rolls with maple butter melted in one's mouth. Watermelon and shrimp? Great combo as it turns out! Again we left happy. The patio is lovely as is the service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Food, Fabulous service!!!VenicegalDined on 8/23/2014We had the most delicious meal... the trout was truly the best I've ever had. Every single person working there was friendly, efficient and knowledgable... superior service. Easily one of my favorite restaurants in LA. A chic hot spot serving top notch food without any pretension . What's not to love!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SmithVIPDined on 8/23/2014Came here last winter and found it mediocre. What a difference a new chef and some new food makes. Great food. Happy hour fried chicken amazing. Definitely will return.Special Features:
- Great fried chicken, but...Jenni9733VIPDined on 8/21/2014second time we have dined here. First time, it was incredible. Place was packed, service was spot on, and all the dishes were beautifully presented and tasty. Two weeks later and the place was empty, the biscuits were all too dark on top (we had 3 orders, six guests), and the grits, which were served in tow dishes we ordered were so salty, we could not eat them. Goat cheese in the salad was very strong this time. Fried chicken was great again but so disappointing that everything else was off. Don't think we will be back for a long time.Special Features:
- GREAT UPDATED SOUTHERN FOODBrijitgDined on 8/16/2014Everything was great and inventive. Will definitely return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AWESOME!SweetDined on 8/15/2014The food and service was great! Best I have had to date!Will make a return visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- doggie friendlyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/15/2014Great service and delish good and beers. Doggie door to patio! Unusual to find southern comfort food on Sawtelle. Creative menu well executed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a twist and delish!michelelabellaDined on 8/12/2014Tuesday night... easy to get a table at this restaurant lauded for being in the LA Top Rated list circling around. Our waiter was wonderful and the food was excellent. Being from San Francisco, I'm tough on restaurants. I'd eat here again in a heartbeat!Special Features:
- Yummy!YummyDined on 8/9/2014I had been hearing about the Flores and The Ladies Gunboat Society Restaurant from my friends at the Santa Monica Farmers Market and my interest was piqued when I heard of collards and grits on the menu. I am married to a Texan with roots in Georgia and I know the difference between authentic southern cooking and the wannabes- the food was not only authentic- it was better than I could have dreamed of! Don't miss the watermelon and shrimp salad with red chili dressing! I can hardly wait to go again! By the way, the service is GREAT!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- over-ratedOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/8/2014this restaurant got a good review from Jonathan Gold, which I think was over-rated. Everything is way too salty. Fried chicken was way too fried---not as I'd hoped from the Gold review. Music was way too loud. An assault to the senses! Wait staff was great.
- GourmetVIPDined on 8/8/2014Everything was fried and all four of us did not feel well all night.