Flores & the Ladies Gunboat Society
2024 Sawtelle Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90025Neighborhood:
West Los Angeles
SouthernPrice: $31 to $50
Flores & the Ladies Gunboat Society
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.floreslosangeles.com/
- Phone: 4242736469x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm; Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm - 12:00am
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 11:00am - 02:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Southern
- Executive Chef: Brian Dunsmoor
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Flores & the Ladies Gunboat Society
Flores and the Ladies Gunboat Society is a market driven restaurant specializing in country cuisine. We offer local/handcrafted California wines and beers. Beautiful outdoor and indoor dining, as well as a pup-friendly patio.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Flores & the Ladies Gunboat Society reviews from OpenTable diners
115 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (81)great for outdoor dining (77)neighborhood gem (68)hot spot (32)good for groups (25)great for brunch (20)romantic (18)special occasion (17)great for lunch (13)late-night find (9)vibrant bar scene (9)notable wine list (6)kid-friendly (5)scenic view (4)Show More
- GoodFoodie2ShoesDined on 9/21/2014Met a girlfriend at Flores & the Ladies Gunboat Society for Sunday brunch. We were seated in the back patio, which was lovely and comfortable and shaded - just perfect for a warm and sunny L.A. day. Service was prompt and friendly. I had the fried rabbit and waffles, and my girlfriend had the country fried chicken, which she said was very good. My meal was also very good. The rabbit was done nicely - crispy outside, tender inside, but honestly it tasted like chicken. I left feeling like I should've just gone to Roscoe's. Having said that, it's still very likely that I'll go back to Flores and try other things from the menu. I guess I just wanted to be more impressed. Our server made a great pilsner recommendation though!Special Features:
- A nice surprise!RebeccaSVIPDined on 9/19/2014The restaurant advertises southern food, but it is really food made with typical southern ingredients combined with other flavors. The result is quite flavorful and satisfying. I would prefer to return with more people. All dishes are served family style. With a larger group, everyone can try everything without feeling full. We had only two and were too full to order dessert! The rainbow trout was superb!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not worth itFoodieGiantVIPDined on 9/14/2014I came here because I liked Heart & the Hunter. The place was quite empty. The shrimp and watermelon had a good mix of flavors, sweet and savory with different textures. I would recommend that. But then I had the rabbit and waffles. Incredibly bland. The waffle was like an edible foam rubber mold that even syrup could not save. The rabbit was so bad, not flavor, no seasoning. It looked good on the plate, but that was it. No seasoning in the frying. DO NOT waste your money by ordering the rabbit. Be better to order a piece of plain stale bread. Probably have more flavor...
- Excellent RestaurantphilVIPDined on 9/13/2014This is a really great restaurant. Very good food. Service is friendly yet professional. Will definitely go back!Special Features:
- terrible experience.floreshasterribleserviceDined on 9/13/2014called to make a reservation & whoever picked up said i could only make one online. so i did & requested the dog patio but the restaurant never read my reservation or the note attached which specifically requested the dog patio. so we waited 35 minutes for our table. the hostess was very nice but apologized by telling us the owner was the one who answered the phone. then the server said we should expect the food to come out family style. which meant my mom got here entree about 10 minutes after my sister. my ribeye was smothered in mushrooms which weren't mentioned on the menu; sent it back & told the manager they need to list mushrooms on the menu & he said our server should have told us. cost m $300 and it was a terrible experience.
- Another lovely mealSearchingKatDined on 9/9/2014This is the third time I've eaten at this restaurant and it just keeps getting better. Really great on all levels. Just hope the Westside hipsters don't find out about it and ruin it. I fear that will happen as the diner next to me was some famous chef/restauranteur who kept name dropping all night, i.e., "my friend Mario who I traveled with in Italy this summer along with Miguel Stipe".Special Features:
- Good foodSatisfiedVIPDined on 9/7/2014Very good trout. Expensive bread-rip off. Pretty noisy but very attractive popular place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food, not to be missed.patchyDined on 9/6/2014This was recommended by a friend and I was not sure what to expect, but the food was absolutely delicious. They serve southern type dishes with a modern take and everything we ordered had us exclaiming that it was the best thing we'd ever eaten. From the oysters and watercress salad to the chicken fried rabbit and whole trout all the flavors were spot on. Plates were shared so nothing left you feeling too heavy. I would highly recommend this and will be going back to try their fried chicken dinner that they do from 5:30-6:30 everyday.Special Features:
- AllyVIPDined on 9/6/2014Extremely noisy -- even outdoors. Food was overly salty and disappointing. Better on a previous visit. We won't be returning.
- Great Southern-inspired foodLecosDined on 8/29/2014Flores serves southern cuisine with an eye toward foodies. They offer inspired interpretations of southern standards without the heaviness southern food can sometimes have. Presentation is pleasing without being fussy. The food is both elegant and down-home feeling at the same time. We had the Hoppin' John and the stuffed quail served family style. Both were quite tasty and satisfying. Service was friendly and relaxed. A definite must-try for anyone looking for a dining adventure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Home cooking re-imaginedpabloDined on 8/27/2014The food here is southern influenced and delicious. The whole trout was especially good. Some dishes, like the grits were not stunning, but overall, the dining experience was enjoyable and the service was friendly. They make rolls here that one server referred to as crack. He was right. I would definitely consider going back.Special Features:
- Fantastic ever timeOccasionaldinerDined on 8/24/2014This is the 4th time we've had dinner and it does not disappoint. Fried chicken and beer happy hour? Doesn't get better than this. But it did, the grits and yeast rolls with maple butter melted in one's mouth. Watermelon and shrimp? Great combo as it turns out! Again we left happy. The patio is lovely as is the service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Food, Fabulous service!!!VenicegalDined on 8/23/2014We had the most delicious meal... the trout was truly the best I've ever had. Every single person working there was friendly, efficient and knowledgable... superior service. Easily one of my favorite restaurants in LA. A chic hot spot serving top notch food without any pretension . What's not to love!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SmithVIPDined on 8/23/2014Came here last winter and found it mediocre. What a difference a new chef and some new food makes. Great food. Happy hour fried chicken amazing. Definitely will return.Special Features:
- Great fried chicken, but...Jenni9733Dined on 8/21/2014second time we have dined here. First time, it was incredible. Place was packed, service was spot on, and all the dishes were beautifully presented and tasty. Two weeks later and the place was empty, the biscuits were all too dark on top (we had 3 orders, six guests), and the grits, which were served in tow dishes we ordered were so salty, we could not eat them. Goat cheese in the salad was very strong this time. Fried chicken was great again but so disappointing that everything else was off. Don't think we will be back for a long time.Special Features:
- GREAT UPDATED SOUTHERN FOODBrijitgDined on 8/16/2014Everything was great and inventive. Will definitely return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AWESOME!SweetDined on 8/15/2014The food and service was great! Best I have had to date!Will make a return visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- doggie friendlyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/15/2014Great service and delish good and beers. Doggie door to patio! Unusual to find southern comfort food on Sawtelle. Creative menu well executed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a twist and delish!michelelabellaDined on 8/12/2014Tuesday night... easy to get a table at this restaurant lauded for being in the LA Top Rated list circling around. Our waiter was wonderful and the food was excellent. Being from San Francisco, I'm tough on restaurants. I'd eat here again in a heartbeat!Special Features:
- Yummy!YummyDined on 8/9/2014I had been hearing about the Flores and The Ladies Gunboat Society Restaurant from my friends at the Santa Monica Farmers Market and my interest was piqued when I heard of collards and grits on the menu. I am married to a Texan with roots in Georgia and I know the difference between authentic southern cooking and the wannabes- the food was not only authentic- it was better than I could have dreamed of! Don't miss the watermelon and shrimp salad with red chili dressing! I can hardly wait to go again! By the way, the service is GREAT!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- over-ratedOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/8/2014this restaurant got a good review from Jonathan Gold, which I think was over-rated. Everything is way too salty. Fried chicken was way too fried---not as I'd hoped from the Gold review. Music was way too loud. An assault to the senses! Wait staff was great.
- GourmetVIPDined on 8/8/2014Everything was fried and all four of us did not feel well all night.
- ok-just not for ussusanVIPDined on 8/7/2014interesting menu. not enough choices for us,. We don't eat rabbit or pork. so that left us ver few choices. since they change the menu ever day you can't se what your choices are going to be.Special Features:
- Surprise! It's greatEbbsDined on 8/5/2014Tried the fried chicken special at happy hour and added the collards which was perfect. We were stuffed but couldn't resist ordering the buttermilk pie and chocolate mousse pie and were so glad we did. Everything tasted homemade with love. The door & service were warm, relaxed & welcoming. The place is small and was full when we left on an early Tuesday evening so I would say reservations are a must. I have been thinking about this place ever since and can't wait to go back. Please stay away if you are an uppity pain in the neck. Nice people only! You here me Yelpers? I'm talking to you!Special Features:
- Great Restaurant!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/4/2014I organized a birthday dinner for a friend here. The staff was super helpful and accommodating. Paula helped me organize the menu and gave me lots of tips. The food was truly fantastic and the service was great. Especially if you love Southern food, you must hit this place up. I highly recommend the grits, since it's hard to find good grits in LA. Will definitely come back!Special Features:
- 1950swestsidefoodieDined on 8/4/2014After reading Jonathan Gold's review about the Fried Chicken, I could not wait to try it. I was very disappointed. The chicken did NOT have sufficient meat on the bones. The coating was great and it was served nice and hot, but not enough meat. I lived for a year in a small town near Fort Polk, Louisiana and will NEVER forget the marvelous Southern Cooking, but the Flores & the Ladies Gunboat Society did not meet my expectations for fried chicken. However, the grits and green fried tomatoes were to die for. Our server was OUTSTANDING.Special Features:
- Very good foodHollisterDined on 8/3/2014Was very pleased with selections on menu and preparation of food. I ordered a fried green tomato salad with heirloom tomatoes. It was delicious. My husband and son both ordered a whole grilled trout topped with fried egg. They raved about it. The restaurant was very attractive. We sat in an outdoor courtyard that was lovely. My salad was served 10 minutes before the other two entrees. The waiter said, "we prepare all our dishes to order, so things may not come out at the same time." I noticed other customers were also getting their plates at different times from their table mates. Excuse me, but ANY good restaurant should be able to coordinate all the plates at a table to be served at the same time. Charged $2 for toast with salad.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very good, of kindnonameDined on 8/2/2014Because the cuisine is both rich and exotic, it's not a place I'd come to often (by which I mean, say, once a month). The interior seemed dark & airless, so my friend & I waited around 15 minutes until a table was available on the open-air side of the patio - a request that the hostess at the captain's station was very gracious in accommodating. I enjoyed both the food & ambience very much on my first visit last Saturday evening, though in the garden of restaurants that I cultivate Flores is a hot-house plant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific Placejjp1Dined on 8/2/2014The restaurant is a great experience. The staff is friendly and knowledgeable. All parts of the menu provided excellent choices, had the arugula salad it was delicious. The fried chicken is the best. We will go back oftenSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Trying too hard?OCandPSdinerVIPDined on 8/2/2014Three of us went for brunch, and each tried different items. Two were very good- the country breakfast and the molasses bacon with sorghum were both hits. But the sand dabs with crab hush puppies was very disappointing, and frankly not good at all. The hush puppies were very small and burnt, the sand dabs tasteless and full of bones. When I told the waitress about my disappointment with that dish, she offered no accommodation other than she'd let the kitchen know. It appears they are trying too hard to be different and unfortunately some of the dishes suffer as a result. But, I will give them credit for the best grits I have ever tasted. And the beignets were the best this side of New Orleans. All in all overpriced for what you get.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't bring a crowdOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/27/2014The waiter will tell you that food is served family style, in portions big enough to share. How do you share a pork chop sitting on a puddle of grits? It is awkward, but you will because the rest of the party will otherwise watch you eat. The food tasted good, but the kitchen needs to work on their timing. Also, we paid way too much for too little food. Paying design prices for heritage pork is one thing, but the pretensions extend to the grits, and $5 for a yeast roll and butter when bread is usually complimetary is just stingy.
- LOVE LOVE LOVEaviwaviDined on 7/27/2014Everything was absolutely delicious! I tried everyone else's food at my table and each dish was unique and delightful. I can't wait to go back again for dinner! I highly recommend this place.Special Features:
- CDJESQVIPDined on 7/21/2014The food was excellent. My trout was actually incredible. The service staff was efficient and personable. The patio was very comfortable, and perfect for a summer evening.Special Features:
- Fabulous new twist on southern foodOccasionaldinerDined on 7/18/2014Our third time and we continue to be intrigued by constant menu changes. Grits are different and amazing every time as is the trout in several varieties. Arrugala salad and yeast rolls with maple butter are worth repeating. Desserts are to die for. Brian Densmore has arrived, and he has brought a bit of Georgia with him.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A good surprise!WillThereBPieDined on 7/10/2014A friend and I went for supper late-ish in the evening which can present a challenge in LA. Where are the night-owls? I'm not a huge fan of bacon or eggs, so finding the ingredients lurking in so many of the dishes on the menu was a little off-putting. It wasn't like we were going to easily find another place open, so we decided to make the best of it. And were we glad we did! Had the collard greens & red peas appetizer and the trout - both of which were excellent! Interesting combinations of ingredients where flavors were well-matched and sometimes surprising and oil/acidity/sweetness balance was well modulated. These people understand food. Can't wait to go back and not just because of the chocolate pie & Neil Young.Special Features:
- Great Local SpotAudgeKDined on 7/6/2014My friends and I had dinner at Flores last Sunday. The menu is Southern - not my typical cuisine of choice, but I thought the dishes were very well flavored and the presentation was beautiful. Our group of 5 ordered about 5 dishes to share and they were all very well executed. Our waiter was very friendly and attentive. He seemed very knowledgeable about the menu options. The overall ambiance makes for a fun, informal night out and the food is well worth coming for. All 5 of us left dinner saying we'd be back...and I'm sure we will!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 7/3/2014Loved the food, the server and the story behind the restaurant's name and location. We were 3 for dinner on a Thursday night at 6:30. The restaurant was not busy...two-thirds of the restaurant was empty. One of our main courses did not arrive until the other 2 of us were more than half way through ours...and we waited (and waited!) to start and ate slowly hoping that hers would arrive! This sharing, family-style rhetoric is just an excuse these days for kitchens not to have to coordinate the firing and serving of their courses!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent food and servicewhp1Dined on 6/27/2014The food is fresh and delicious. Service is attentive, but low key and friendly. Quiet and friendly atmosphere.Special Features:
- Welcome update to great spacehobbesLAVIPDined on 6/26/2014The restaurant surprised me in a good way. Great to have an unusual option like this in the neighborhood. Small but nice wine & beer list, and there are some gems tucked into the food menu.Special Features:
- An ImprovementDorseyDonVIPDined on 6/20/2014I liked Flores in its earlier incarnation, but I prefer this incarnation. The food seems to be a tad more adventurous and fun, and a bit more memorable. The food is reasonably priced, with a good range of choices and price points. I wish they served a tasty hard cider; it would go well with some of their foods, and a refreshing drink to sip on their nice patios in the summer, but that is a quibble. It's worth the fight through the Sawtelle traffic, and they have valet parking. Good music played on their sound system, particularly for a baby boomer.Special Features: