190 Massachusetts Ave.
Arlington, MA 02474Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.florarestaurant.com/
- Phone: 7816411664
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday 5:30pm - 9:30pm
Friday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Sunday 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Bob Sargent
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Flora is happy to cater events of any type and size. Please contact the restaurant for more information.
- Private Party Facilities: Flora offers a private dining room that can seat up to 36 people! Other options include reserving the bar, cafe, main dining room or the entire restaurant! Choose from one of our preset menus or order from our seasonally changing restaurant menu! See the Private Dining link on our website or contact our Event Manager Megan Harrington for more information at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Private Party Contact: Megan Harrington 7816411664
- Entertainment: Flora's Music Series - Live and Free Music performed while you dine featuring great local acts every Thursday! Most music starts at 8pm. Dinner Reservations are recommended for the best seats!
Flora features an upscale, white tablecloth dining room dramatically housed in a restored bank with 30' vaulted ceilings, 20 foot windows and an open kitchen!
Flora also offers a more casual option in their Bar and Cafe with lighter fare options and high top tables that look out over the bustling town! While there is a TV in the bar, it only goes on for our local teams! ;)
A word from Flora
Chef/owner Bob Sargent creates menus drawing on American classics with French and Italian influences. Many of his dishes include seasonal vegetables and local foods, especially seafood and farm products.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Flora reviews from OpenTable diners
78 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (49)neighborhood gem (49)special occasion (46)romantic (36)good for groups (20)notable wine list (9)kid-friendly (5)vibrant bar scene (5)hot spot (3)great for brunch (3)late-night find (2)great for lunch (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- Good Service & good foodPamelaDined on 10/19/2014We had an excellent meal at Flora's. Quiet on a Sunday early evening before going to the movies, but enough people and movement to not feel lonely. The entrees and desserts were perfectly served and delicious. The only thing to deter is the fact that all was quite pricey. More Back Bay prices then Mass Ave in Arlington prices. We will go again but the high prices will limit our visits.Special Features:
- New menu not very excitingEricDined on 10/11/2014I always like going to Flora, but I found that the new menu did not have much that was appealing. There was no pasta selection, for example. I ordered the Falafel entre and even the smaller portion was too much and not very good. I will check the menu online before I make another reservation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine new menuminutemantrailDined on 10/10/2014The menu is all new recently. Our dinners were wonderful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful meal!momoDined on 10/5/2014Inventive, flavorful food, beautifully prepared and presented. As we were among the only diners, it was probably much quieter than usual, but the tables are spaced well to provide visual and auditory privacy. We will definitely return.Special Features:
- Still love itOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/4/2014We've been coming here for many years....for a special occasion dinner or for a good drink and light meal before a movie. Never disappointed.Special Features:
- DisappointingBusinessDinerVIPDined on 10/1/2014Food quality was far below my prior experience here. The server provided bad (inaccurate) advice on menu items. The bartender, in decanting wine, spilled a substantial amount on the carpet, with no apology. Service was fairly slow and inattentive, despite the lack of a crowd. Underwhelming at this price point.
- An Arlington classicArlingtonFoodieDined on 9/21/2014Excellent combinations of flavors, and a nice range of choices. As someone with food intolerances (gluten, diary & egg) I was very pleased to find both a terrific salad and entree that I could eat. A very enjoyable meal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of my favorite restaurantsMadameXDined on 9/20/2014Flora is an old favorite, and my first choice outside of Boston for a special night out. Great service, a wonderful atmosphere, and as always, inventive and delicious food...thank you everyone who made it a great night. Opentable made the reservation process so easy.Special Features:
- wonderfulNacoDined on 9/13/2014We very much enjoyed Flora. The atmosphere was pleasant and the food was very good and unique dishes. The service was excellent and they made us feel comfortable and special given that it was my husband's birthday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A bit disappointedelzabDined on 9/6/2014Have been going here for years. This time was a bit disappointed by a strangely textured key lime creme brulee, everything but light and too sweet. Just not as exciting. I hope just an off night.Special Features:
- Mixed qualityyodadDined on 9/4/2014I found the protein portion of the entrees was excellent (e.g., arctic char was grilled to perfection and very tasty, the chicken was crispy on the outside and very tender and moist on the inside -- even the white meat). However, the accompanying elements were terrible (e.g. bean ragout was too oily, the grilled figs -- which sound great -- were just done wrong). The coffee (decaf) afterwards was burnt. The waiter was indifferent to helping us out -- he didn't do anything 'wrong', he wasn't rude or inattentive - (e.g., I would like to be able to understand the answers to my questions). Given the prices I expected (and have gotten elsewhere) a much better dining experience -- better service, better and more consistently enjoyable food.
- Outstanding!!nikiVIPDined on 9/3/2014I returned to Flora after a year of exploring other restaurants; I wonder why!! Flora is consistently outstanding; never disappoints!! Thank you!Special Features:
- Flora's ReviewtalloneDined on 9/3/2014Flora's was highly recommended. The menu was limited, I would recommend checking it online before making a reservation. The sweet potato rolls are not my favorite -- too heavy. The beet salad was delicious, but filling, and one salad was fine for two. My husband had the calamari (cooked perfectly) and noted that the batter used for frying contained a lot of garlic. I usually order calamari, but passed after the server accurately said that the garlic couldn't be avoided (as in a dipping sauce). Our main courses were good, seafood linguini and arctic char. The seafood, other than the shrimp, mussels, and a small piece of lobster, were in VERY small pieces in the linguini sauce. Dessert, key lime crème brulee, was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Flora an Arlington gemtjlncDined on 8/31/2014My husband and I received a gift certificate to Flora. After dining there, we were so happy that we did. i cannot say anything negative. It was a wonderful dining experience and will definitely go there again and we highly recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid Dining Experience w FriendsOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/30/2014Having eaten at Flora's three times now I have found that the food is consistently good and interesting with good drinks and excellent service.Special Features:
- Restaurant Week Stareat4funDined on 8/26/2014We sampled a few different area restaurants these past 2 weeks as DineOut Boston is on. This was our favorite. Not only was there an ample selection of appetizers and entrees but all at our table of 4 were wonderfully seasoned and creative. The fan favorite was the salmon with a hazelnut accompaniment that delivered both interesting texture and flavor. We all would definitely go back to try the regular menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant week menuLaurieADined on 8/22/2014We went on a Friday evening. At first we were seated near the open kitchen bust asked to move to another room due to allergies. We had fried green tomatoes (the salad part was great, the tomatoes ok) and the beet soup (purreed and very rich). Mains were the Morroccan chicken and the seafood pasta. I loved the chicken; a spicy tomato sauce with israeli style couscous. Mu husband said his past was good. It was full of shell fish. We both brought half our dinners home. For dessert, I had the peach and cherry cobbler. It tasted of fruit - not sugar so it was a hit. The chocolate creme caramel was like a deep chocolate flan i Waiters were attentive and helpful. Ours told us about a wine they didn't have on the menu : perfectSpecial Features:
- Fun at FlorabluebelleDined on 8/21/2014We have been to Flora twice in the last two months. Both times we went, we were celebrating wedding anniversaries with friends. Both times the Winikers were playing. We ate wonderful food, had interesting cocktails, and danced to the band. We'll be back!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful as alwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/15/2014Flora remains one of my favorite restaurants. The food is wonderful, menu varies nicely and the wait staff is always professional and personable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our Arlington GembarbhDined on 8/14/2014We are very fortunate to have Flora in Arlington. It is owned and staffed by the friendliest and kindest people in the business and the food is always superb and unique. My husband and I have been going to Flora for years and absolutely love it. We would recommend it for couples of all ages, families, large and small groups of friends and everyone in between. We bring friends there and they always become converts. It's the kind of place you can go to every week and only have an enhanced experience by knowing the people who work there, especially the fantastic bartender, Ken, the marvelous staff, including Suju, Megan, Dependra… There is not enough space to name them all. The owners, Bob and Mary Jo, are the best in the business.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always charmingtime2eatgoodfoodDined on 8/2/2014Flora is a lovely space, with delicious food and an elegant atmosphere. I find I'm drawn to them in the summer because they showcase fresh vegetables and seafood so well. I particularly enjoyed the mussels with chorizo - the smoky note and spicy heat made a delicious broth. Both us thought our salads were delicious - fresh fruits balanced with blue cheese or arugula. We also love that they have small and large entrees. We ordered from their "middle plate" options and got to really enjoy our desserts because we weren't too full.Special Features:
- Something missingOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/29/2014Tuesday evening with a couple at one other table made for a quiet night. This old bank is beautiful with high ceilings and interesting art. 3 choices of sparkling wine with one a French sparkler from Alsace was wonderful as was the Elsa Bianchi Malbec chosen to accompany our entrees. The food was well prepared but my Scottish salmon served with a pea pesto was missing something. The cinnamon quinoa was tasty but the overall dish was not toothsome as would be expected at a high end restaurant. My companion's sirloin was good. With so many outstanding restaurants in the area we would not return here for the food but perhaps for a drink as the setting is lovely.Special Features:
- Great First Visit!TheOsDined on 7/24/2014We thoroughly enjoyed our first dinner at Flora! What a gem! The food, decor, friendly service and outstanding live music made for a perfect evening!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/18/2014My fiance and I went to Flora for our dating anniversary and had a wonderful time. The food was delicious. Both my salmon and his steak were cooked perfectly. We also enjoyed a delicious bottle of wine with our meal and topped everything off with their chocolate cloud cake, which was topped with some of the best whipped cream I've ever had (weird thing to comment on, but it's true). The wait staff was friendly and attentive.Special Features:
- I expected moreWatertownStrongDined on 7/16/2014The restaurant itself is lovely. Situated in a former bank, the decor is classic and elegant. The waitresses plaid shirts and black shorts were an odd choice compared to the neutral tones of the restaurant. The menu is limited and each entree is about $30 dollars. I ordered the lobster barley risotto, while tasty, was nothing special. The lobster was rubbery and tough. The service was great, and the waitress neither came too often or too seldom. I would be interested in coming back and trying more of their dishes.Special Features:
- Enjoyed our evening at FloraneedhamfoodieDined on 7/5/2014The food was really delicious and the setting was very nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Evening!CaptainNemoDined on 7/3/2014Great server, lovely food, pleasant and quiet atmosphere, the perfect place if you want a relaxed, pleasant dinner with conversation.Special Features:
- The following 1157 reviews are from the Flora reviews archive.
- Ricki10Dined on 6/26/2014Ordinarily I have an outstanding meal at Flora. My husband and I are vegetarians and the only things on the menu for us were pasta dishes. Usually there is something else in addition to pasta that we can eat. The dessert was delicious.Special Features:
- Enjoyable Anniversary DinnerLadyGDined on 6/20/2014Our first visit to this neighborhood restaurant was a success. The food was good and well prepared. We shared the calamari as an appetizer which was quite tasty. The dining room is spacious so you can easily carry on a conversation without hearing conversations from other nearby tables. The waiter was attentive and friendly. We will definitely return in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Count on Flora'sOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/14/2014For dependably delicious food, caringly prepared and served, you can't go wrong with Flora's. Great cocktails and always interesting wines, we count on Flora's to always make us smile and say, "Wasn't that great?"Special Features:
- Soh21Dined on 6/8/2014A fine dining establishment where I can go with wife for a romantic evening, with family during week for an impromptu dining, or with a group of friends for special occasions. Very nice ambiance (two sides of the restaurant has different ambiance to fit your preference), very good service, and excellent/ consistent food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodChzwirnDined on 6/7/2014We had dinner for our anniversary as part of the Regent's "Dinner and a Show" package. We had a wonderful meal and the service was just right. Great place to celebrate.Special Features:
- Continues excellentj4120Dined on 6/6/2014I hadn't been back to Flora for some years (the location is not especially convenient for me), but food and service continue to be excellent. I believe they have expanded the space and number of tables somewhat and it is a bit noisier than I remember, but they seem to be managing it well. The noise level did not prevent conversation at a four-person table although it might be a bit intrusive if one were trying to have a really intimate conversation. Strongly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great as alwaysPanniDined on 5/28/2014This is a consistently good restaurant at a reasonable price. Attentive wait staff . The menu does change seasonally and you can always find something that will perk up you attention. I had a wonderful green risotto with grilled shrimp that was excellent and light, for dessert we shared a rhubarb upside down cake that disapeared in a minute.Special Features:
- What happened! Favorite's failsFoodforfiveVIPDined on 5/25/2014We took our young adult teens to dinner at Flora, one of our favorite restaurants in the past, for an end of school year dinner. We were mightily disappointed. We sent calamari, cold and soggy back, and hoped the next course would be better. The "special" of soft shell crab was doughy with bland bread crumbs and the risotto was bland and uninteresting. Flora has been around for years and was consistently one of our favorite neighborhood haunts. We were disappointed that it seems to have lost it's place amongst our "go to" restaurants.
- An Arlington TreasurebarbhDined on 5/25/2014We are most fortunate to have a restaurant with wonderful food and the best service in Greater Boston right in Arlington. We have been to Flora literally hundreds of times and have never had anything but a fantastic experience. The food is creatively and lovingly prepared and the staff is the friendliest in the business. They have become our friends. We can't recommend Flora enough.Special Features:
- Wonderful find, tasty and elegantNancyDined on 5/16/2014Attentive wait staff, very tasty main courses, beautiful setting in a former bank. My husband and our friend were extremely happy with their receptive chicken and daily fish specials. My "green risotto" was delicious but the portion was smaller than I expected, not quite enough for a main. Starter salads were ok and a it overpriced, but desert was delightful. Great parking in bank lot next door during dinner service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great, upscale neighborhood placedinerwithawhinerDined on 5/16/2014Having Flora in the neighborhood reminds me a little of being in Manhattan where there's a great restaurant around every corner. This is upscale food, but still fit for families and for special occasions. There's a good selection of vegetarian dishes along with great things for meat lovers. I had the steak and it was done better than at any of the steak houses in the area.Special Features:
- Warm and lovelyGoodrowerDined on 5/11/2014A perfect Mother's Day dinner! But Flora is lovely any time for a romantic evening or a gathering of friends. The food is yummy and the service is pleasant. A great place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/11/2014Our Mother's day brunch was outstanding, Flora's never disappoints! Wonderful restaurant, would highly recommend!Special Features: