190 Massachusetts Ave.
Arlington, MA 02474Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.florarestaurant.com/
- Phone: (781) 641-1664
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday 5:30pm - 9:30pm
Friday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Sunday 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Bob Sargent
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Flora is happy to cater events of any type and size. Please contact the restaurant for more information.
- Private Party Facilities: Flora offers a private dining room that can seat up to 36 people! Other options include reserving the bar, cafe, main dining room or the entire restaurant! Choose from one of our preset menus or order from our seasonally changing restaurant menu! See the Private Dining link on our website or contact our Event Manager Megan Harrington for more information at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Private Party Contact: Megan Harrington 7816411664
- Entertainment: Flora's Music Series - Live and Free Music performed while you dine featuring great local acts every Thursday! Most music starts at 8pm. Dinner Reservations are recommended for the best seats!
Flora features an upscale, white tablecloth dining room dramatically housed in a restored bank with 30' vaulted ceilings, 20 foot windows and an open kitchen!
Flora also offers a more casual option in their Bar and Cafe with lighter fare options and high top tables that look out over the bustling town! While there is a TV in the bar, it only goes on for our local teams! ;)
A word from Flora
Chef/owner Bob Sargent creates menus drawing on American classics with French and Italian influences. Many of his dishes include seasonal vegetables and local foods, especially seafood and farm products.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Flora reviews from OpenTable diners
83 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (54)fit for foodies (52)special occasion (52)romantic (39)good for groups (18)notable wine list (10)kid-friendly (4)vibrant bar scene (3)hot spot (3)late-night find (2)great for brunch (2)Show More
- Restaurant Week night outAnnTDined on 3/17/2014Interesting choices for restaurant week. Started with the carrot/ginger soup which was delicious. Entree of haddock (unfortunately fried) with pickled shrimp (not a good side). Venue is an old bank. Very comfortable and lovely inside. Room for larger groups if needed. On street parking only. Server was wonderful. Food was only fair. Would recommend to folks to give it a try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food in East ArlingtonFinefoodlover1Dined on 3/16/2014The price-fix menu provided something for everyone. The soup was just right temperature-wise and very tasty. The beef main course was tender and had lots of flavor and the cranberry crisp with cinnamon ice cream was excellent. I ordered a glass of wine (they weren't stingy with the portion) and I ended my meal with a decaf cappuccino. Great overall eating experience.Special Features:
- Another special event at FloraBearVIPDined on 3/8/2014We had a wonderful birthday dinner for my wife. Food and service great as usual. The two youngest kids enjoyed the chicken fingers, while the older two kids and adults enjoyed the savory fare.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I love Flora. The attentionOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/5/2014I love Flora. The attention to detail from the freshness, creativity, even the temperature of the food, to the décor and the staff has never disappointed us - and we go often!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a bit harriedCantabrigianVIPDined on 3/1/2014We had an 8PM reservation, and got there at 7:50. There was a table ready, we could see it. They even pointed it out to us, but then, announced that, due to 'overwhelming the staff', they would seat us at 8. Interesting, yeah? We also sifted through three waitpersons during our stay, one of whom brought me the wrong order. As to the food, it was all serviceable, but the sides lacked either skill or concern, hard to tell which. One of our party described her vegetable portion as 'cafeteria-like'. That said, this is out in the 'burbs, and has parking....Special Features:
- The group was split on theWashashoreDined on 3/1/2014The group was split on the food. The salads were very tasty as were the chicken and Kale ravioli entrees. The lamb chop middle plate was 1 chop on a mound of something which our dining companion did not enjoy. The other person ordered the prime rib special and described it as OK. The salads and chicken and kale ravioli entrees were beautifully plated. If possible when making a reservation, request the main dining room. We were seated in what is a private dining room. It was very noisy, a tiny candle on the table and very bright overhead lights. In the past we have sat in the main dining room which is very nice.
- Always Come Back to FloraeloutDined on 3/1/2014This is our favorite restaurant for excellent food, often locally sourced, a nice wine selection, lovely ambience in which one can have a good conversation. The consistency of quality is remarkable over the many years that we have enjoyed Flora. Some other places are trendier and fancier, but the food here always leaves me feeling good, and the flavors are creative and well done. Bravo Flora!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent, as always. I loveOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 3/1/2014Excellent, as always. I love the new small plate option.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- expensive edibleRuthDined on 2/23/2014I got duck breast that was cold and tasted like left over from Saturday. My husband got haddock he said was very average. The service was good, they were friendly and helpful.
- Have had better...OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/22/2014I have had better meals than this night. Others in my party enjoyed their meal more than I did, I think and that is fine. I had sort of a fried fish thing which was not memorable. The waiter seemed a little confused...maybe new?Special Features:
- Pretty Good Food/Fair ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/22/2014I really enjoyed my entree duck breast, as did nmy husband, but overall service a bit scattered. I asked for dipping sauce for calamari appetizer - we almost finished it before they brought it out after 2nd request. I asked for pepper, as I saw others getting a fresh grind, instead was brought a bowl of red pepper. One of my guests did have pasta, so maybe that's why. Rigatoni was to have sausage, it was minimal. I would definitely steer away from the pastas. Desserts were good, my capucciono was luke warm. People who were serving us kept changing. Based on prices, I was expecting more and would not rush back.I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointedhatenicknamesDined on 2/21/2014The food was okay, but none of the five dishes we ordered was great, not as I had remembered from a previous visit. At those prices I expect at least three of five to be a treat. I was disappointed and will not go back.
- Good foodlynchiesDined on 2/16/2014The menu is unique and everything was tasty. They are willing to mix up sides and do a great job on presentation. Wine by the glass was just ok. The better wines are bottle only. Watch out on the soda as they charge you for every refill and you don't know it until the end.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Back to an Arlington RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/16/2014We had not dined at Flora in quite some time and were so happy we returned. We had a wonderful meal and introduced friends who really enjoyed the food and atmosphere. Sometimes, the weather situation makes for exploring your own town and great venues there. All the choices were great and the staff was pleasant and helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great atmosphere very good foodSuburbanGourmetDined on 2/15/2014We ate at Flora on a snowy Saturday night . We'd eaten there before but not for several years. The service was friendly and efficient. I had bay scallops and risotto, my husband had the pan-roasted duck. Both were well prepared and tasty. The food quality/ambiance and value are solidly above what is normally available out here in the NW suburbs. I would definitely look forward to going there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Valentin's day meal was doubleCeciaDined on 2/14/2014Valentin's day meal was double the regular price but I suspect it's like that many places. Wait was a bit long even with reservation but had a delightful time, good food. Would go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Uneven experienceDiscerningDinerDined on 2/14/2014Valentine's Day: The main courses (bay scallops and beef filet) were good, but the other coureses were not. Chocolate bread pudding was not chocolatey -- tasted like it was missing an ingredient. The appetizers were served before the wine and the prix fix menu did not include coffee. It was not a good experience for the price, and we will not be making the drive from Wellesley again to go back.Special Features:
- Lovely decor, disappointing mealCelebratingoutDined on 2/9/2014Only one person in our party of five enjoyed their food. We each left a puddle of oil at the bottom of our plates. Two people had stomach aches -- not from the taste, but from the abundance of oils used in the preparation. The presentation was appetizing, the staff was quite nice, the decor is lovely, and we even found convenient parking on-street. But we won't be returning.
- bank on good foodproseDined on 2/9/2014the squash apple soup was creative & delicious, the haddock equally tasty & all presented beautifullySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely spot for a terrific dinner3sistersVIPDined on 2/8/2014Had the mushroom risotto and the half chicken. Fabulous.Special Features:
- Flora -- Not to be MissedarlingtonpikesDined on 2/8/2014We came as two in a party of six for dinner on Saturday night. We were seated at a large, round table in what used to be the Arlington Five Cent Bank, an incredibly beautiful room. The food is superb, there were choices that pleased everyone in the party, service was excellent and we were sated and happy when we left. The specials were given along with the prices, which is somewhat unusual and very much appreciated. There's a good wine list (including Prosecco) and a choice of having a 1/2 dinner portion, which makes having an appetizer more attractive. I'm not sure what else I can say about Flora except that my husband and I have chosen to eat our last two anniversary dinners there, so yes, it is a special place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent dining experienceDickDined on 2/4/2014Excellent dining experience in a local setting. Definitely worth the drive from surrounding towns.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gourmet Cuisine on special occasionTonyDined on 2/4/2014Very tasty dishes. Waiter very good. Not inexpensive. Former bank side is quieter than the bar side.Special Features:
- Dinner at FloraSalsaVIPDined on 1/31/2014I had the kale salad, which was delicious, followed by the beef daube, which was melt in the mouth tender. I really appreciated that portions were filling without being outsized. My dinner companion and I also split the Rhode Island calamari, served on a bed of watercress, one if my favorite greens. The only complaint was that the calamari was not cooked perfectly. My friend ordered the kale salad and stuffed acorn squash and was thrilled with both. I ended the evening with the toasted coconut creme brûlée, which delicious. I didn't care for the lime shortbread, especially since the cookie came swimming in the caramel sauce from the brûlée. In summary - minor, forgivable missteps, but a great meal nonetheless, with attentive service.Special Features:
- White tablecloth dining inOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 1/26/2014White tablecloth dining in a very nice atmosphere. My skate wing special meal was excellent with a very nice presentation, but the cornmeal haddock my husband ordered was very pedestrian. Another diner said his daube of beef was good, but the meat portion was quite small and hardly filled him up. I ordered the dessert special of a pear tart and, again, excellent. Prices were decent with all entrees under $30. Service was good and waiter was knowledgeable. Of the three meals served, the special far surpassed the others, so perhaps it would be wise to stick to the specials.Special Features:
- Suju's TableQualityFirstVIPDined on 1/24/2014Our great experience last Friday evening started right from the time Suju greeted us to say she was our server. She helped to make the evening special. The fried oysters and mussels were especially good as was the skate special. Although we had no room for dessert, we ordered two of the special pear tarts and demolished them without any difficulty. They were very tasty. This is a special restaurant which seeks to provide a diverse menu and serves quality food well presented.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food! Perfect service!SallyBDined on 1/21/2014We dined there for a birthday dinner. It was so delicious. Every bite was savored. Great spot for Arlington. The service was perfect. Not too intrusive but just as you thought of something you might need they were right there with it. It was a really pleasurable experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great go-to spotbriggsyDined on 1/18/2014From our interesting new cocktails at the bar to our very lovely dinner, it was all wonderful. The We had the special swordfish (which I'd love as a regular. Yum) and the monkfish. As usual the service is friendly and perfect despite it being Saturday and very busy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not ready for prime timeepicuriusDined on 1/15/2014Fine for the neighborhood, but not ready to compete with Cambridge's greatsSpecial Features:
- Flora Never FailsKathleenDined on 1/15/2014As usual, an outstanding dining experience. I ordered the breast of duck and my companion ordered the wonderful winter dish the daube of beef. Superb entrees in a comfortable and friendly setting. A very special place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very good foodmikbergDined on 1/11/2014Our first time at Flora. Innovative menu, great service, very tasty food, nice decor, good wine list, convenient to Boston theatres and greater Arlington residents. A little pricey.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ShockedPattiDined on 1/8/2014The food was very good and we had a nice time. The thing that shocked me was that we both had club soda and they charged us $12 for small servings. They gave us refills which we did not ask for and the total was $12 for us to each have two glasses of club soda. I ate at another restaurant with equally good food, larger servings and larger glasses of club soda which cost $1.75 each including refills. Might seem like a silly thing to complain about, however, just thought the price was way out of line.
- as good as I rememberedRichmondFoodieVIPDined on 1/6/2014I live out of state and hadn't been to Flora's for several years. It was as good as I remembered, even with a much-changed menu. The pork belly salad was outstanding and I appreciated the option of a single lamb chop for a main course. It was a cold night, and slow in the restaurant, which may have enhanced the quiet atmosphere.Special Features:
- thank youmastiffmamaDined on 1/4/2014This was the perfect choice for a quiet family birthday celebration. Everyone left happy - quite a feat! We hope to be back soonSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- perfect!MelyssaDined on 1/4/2014Fresh, beautiful food made with love. Warm, welcoming staff. I made a Saturday night reservation for myself and my boyfriend via Open Table the DAY OF our meal and requested a "quiet corner table" if possible. They were not only aware of my request when we arrived but they gave us THE perfect table and really seemed to want to make our evening as lovely as possible. Highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Consistently Delicious ChoiceCelebratorDined on 12/31/2013My husband and I ate a delicious dinner at Flora on NYE and were highly satisfied. Food is always extremely good, and the staff is always friendly and accommodating. We have been here a number of times, and each time are happy that we came. Always good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great teamOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/27/2013The best thing about Flora is that from the moment you arrive and throughout your entire experience you get the sense that the restaurant has a great team. Everyone has a genuine sense of hospitality and it is clear that the staff is happy to work there. The food and service were amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So happy they are in ArlingtonGrandmahannahVIPDined on 12/27/2013Very nice place to go with visitors. Homey with excellent food and service.Special Features:
- My favorite restaurant, itLynnDined on 12/21/2013My favorite restaurant, it is always good food and service.Special Features:
- Great find, we had a wonderfulSnowquestDined on 12/14/2013Great find, we had a wonderful meal this past Saturday night. It was a big snow storm and we had most of the place to ourselves, which was nice as we could be a bit boisterous. The food was wonderful, the duck Prosciutto is delicious and the special Braised Lamb Shanks were perfect for a snowy night.Special Features: