190 Massachusetts Ave.
Arlington, MA 02474Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.florarestaurant.com/
- Phone: 7816411664
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday 5:30pm - 9:30pm
Friday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Sunday 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Bob Sargent
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Flora is happy to cater events of any type and size. Please contact the restaurant for more information.
- Private Party Facilities: Flora offers a private dining room that can seat up to 36 people! Other options include reserving the bar, cafe, main dining room or the entire restaurant! Choose from one of our preset menus or order from our seasonally changing restaurant menu! See the Private Dining link on our website or contact our Event Manager Megan Harrington for more information at email@example.com
- Private Party Contact: Megan Harrington 7816411664
- Entertainment: Flora's Music Series - Live and Free Music performed while you dine featuring great local acts every Thursday! Most music starts at 8pm. Dinner Reservations are recommended for the best seats!
Flora features an upscale, white tablecloth dining room dramatically housed in a restored bank with 30' vaulted ceilings, 20 foot windows and an open kitchen!
Flora also offers a more casual option in their Bar and Cafe with lighter fare options and high top tables that look out over the bustling town! While there is a TV in the bar, it only goes on for our local teams! ;)
A word from Flora
Chef/owner Bob Sargent creates menus drawing on American classics with French and Italian influences. Many of his dishes include seasonal vegetables and local foods, especially seafood and farm products.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Flora - Best Restaurants in Arlington ›
Flora reviews from OpenTable diners
97 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (63)special occasion (60)fit for foodies (57)romantic (42)good for groups (29)notable wine list (12)kid-friendly (9)great for brunch (6)vibrant bar scene (5)great for lunch (4)late-night find (3)hot spot (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- Solid Dining Experience w FriendsOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/30/2014Having eaten at Flora's three times now I have found that the food is consistently good and interesting with good drinks and excellent service.Special Features:
- Restaurant Week Stareat4funDined on 8/26/2014We sampled a few different area restaurants these past 2 weeks as DineOut Boston is on. This was our favorite. Not only was there an ample selection of appetizers and entrees but all at our table of 4 were wonderfully seasoned and creative. The fan favorite was the salmon with a hazelnut accompaniment that delivered both interesting texture and flavor. We all would definitely go back to try the regular menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant week menuLaurieADined on 8/22/2014We went on a Friday evening. At first we were seated near the open kitchen bust asked to move to another room due to allergies. We had fried green tomatoes (the salad part was great, the tomatoes ok) and the beet soup (purreed and very rich). Mains were the Morroccan chicken and the seafood pasta. I loved the chicken; a spicy tomato sauce with israeli style couscous. Mu husband said his past was good. It was full of shell fish. We both brought half our dinners home. For dessert, I had the peach and cherry cobbler. It tasted of fruit - not sugar so it was a hit. The chocolate creme caramel was like a deep chocolate flan i Waiters were attentive and helpful. Ours told us about a wine they didn't have on the menu : perfectSpecial Features:
- Fun at FlorabluebelleDined on 8/21/2014We have been to Flora twice in the last two months. Both times we went, we were celebrating wedding anniversaries with friends. Both times the Winikers were playing. We ate wonderful food, had interesting cocktails, and danced to the band. We'll be back!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful as alwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/15/2014Flora remains one of my favorite restaurants. The food is wonderful, menu varies nicely and the wait staff is always professional and personable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our Arlington GembarbhDined on 8/14/2014We are very fortunate to have Flora in Arlington. It is owned and staffed by the friendliest and kindest people in the business and the food is always superb and unique. My husband and I have been going to Flora for years and absolutely love it. We would recommend it for couples of all ages, families, large and small groups of friends and everyone in between. We bring friends there and they always become converts. It's the kind of place you can go to every week and only have an enhanced experience by knowing the people who work there, especially the fantastic bartender, Ken, the marvelous staff, including Suju, Megan, Dependra… There is not enough space to name them all. The owners, Bob and Mary Jo, are the best in the business.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always charmingtime2eatgoodfoodDined on 8/2/2014Flora is a lovely space, with delicious food and an elegant atmosphere. I find I'm drawn to them in the summer because they showcase fresh vegetables and seafood so well. I particularly enjoyed the mussels with chorizo - the smoky note and spicy heat made a delicious broth. Both us thought our salads were delicious - fresh fruits balanced with blue cheese or arugula. We also love that they have small and large entrees. We ordered from their "middle plate" options and got to really enjoy our desserts because we weren't too full.Special Features:
- Something missingOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/29/2014Tuesday evening with a couple at one other table made for a quiet night. This old bank is beautiful with high ceilings and interesting art. 3 choices of sparkling wine with one a French sparkler from Alsace was wonderful as was the Elsa Bianchi Malbec chosen to accompany our entrees. The food was well prepared but my Scottish salmon served with a pea pesto was missing something. The cinnamon quinoa was tasty but the overall dish was not toothsome as would be expected at a high end restaurant. My companion's sirloin was good. With so many outstanding restaurants in the area we would not return here for the food but perhaps for a drink as the setting is lovely.Special Features:
- Great First Visit!TheOsDined on 7/24/2014We thoroughly enjoyed our first dinner at Flora! What a gem! The food, decor, friendly service and outstanding live music made for a perfect evening!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/18/2014My fiance and I went to Flora for our dating anniversary and had a wonderful time. The food was delicious. Both my salmon and his steak were cooked perfectly. We also enjoyed a delicious bottle of wine with our meal and topped everything off with their chocolate cloud cake, which was topped with some of the best whipped cream I've ever had (weird thing to comment on, but it's true). The wait staff was friendly and attentive.Special Features:
- I expected moreWatertownStrongDined on 7/16/2014The restaurant itself is lovely. Situated in a former bank, the decor is classic and elegant. The waitresses plaid shirts and black shorts were an odd choice compared to the neutral tones of the restaurant. The menu is limited and each entree is about $30 dollars. I ordered the lobster barley risotto, while tasty, was nothing special. The lobster was rubbery and tough. The service was great, and the waitress neither came too often or too seldom. I would be interested in coming back and trying more of their dishes.Special Features:
- Enjoyed our evening at FloraneedhamfoodieDined on 7/5/2014The food was really delicious and the setting was very nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Evening!CaptainNemoDined on 7/3/2014Great server, lovely food, pleasant and quiet atmosphere, the perfect place if you want a relaxed, pleasant dinner with conversation.Special Features:
- Ricki10Dined on 6/26/2014Ordinarily I have an outstanding meal at Flora. My husband and I are vegetarians and the only things on the menu for us were pasta dishes. Usually there is something else in addition to pasta that we can eat. The dessert was delicious.Special Features:
- Enjoyable Anniversary DinnerLadyGDined on 6/20/2014Our first visit to this neighborhood restaurant was a success. The food was good and well prepared. We shared the calamari as an appetizer which was quite tasty. The dining room is spacious so you can easily carry on a conversation without hearing conversations from other nearby tables. The waiter was attentive and friendly. We will definitely return in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Count on Flora'sOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/14/2014For dependably delicious food, caringly prepared and served, you can't go wrong with Flora's. Great cocktails and always interesting wines, we count on Flora's to always make us smile and say, "Wasn't that great?"Special Features:
- Soh21Dined on 6/8/2014A fine dining establishment where I can go with wife for a romantic evening, with family during week for an impromptu dining, or with a group of friends for special occasions. Very nice ambiance (two sides of the restaurant has different ambiance to fit your preference), very good service, and excellent/ consistent food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodChzwirnDined on 6/7/2014We had dinner for our anniversary as part of the Regent's "Dinner and a Show" package. We had a wonderful meal and the service was just right. Great place to celebrate.Special Features:
- Continues excellentj4120Dined on 6/6/2014I hadn't been back to Flora for some years (the location is not especially convenient for me), but food and service continue to be excellent. I believe they have expanded the space and number of tables somewhat and it is a bit noisier than I remember, but they seem to be managing it well. The noise level did not prevent conversation at a four-person table although it might be a bit intrusive if one were trying to have a really intimate conversation. Strongly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great as alwaysPanniDined on 5/28/2014This is a consistently good restaurant at a reasonable price. Attentive wait staff . The menu does change seasonally and you can always find something that will perk up you attention. I had a wonderful green risotto with grilled shrimp that was excellent and light, for dessert we shared a rhubarb upside down cake that disapeared in a minute.Special Features:
- What happened! Favorite's failsFoodforfiveVIPDined on 5/25/2014We took our young adult teens to dinner at Flora, one of our favorite restaurants in the past, for an end of school year dinner. We were mightily disappointed. We sent calamari, cold and soggy back, and hoped the next course would be better. The "special" of soft shell crab was doughy with bland bread crumbs and the risotto was bland and uninteresting. Flora has been around for years and was consistently one of our favorite neighborhood haunts. We were disappointed that it seems to have lost it's place amongst our "go to" restaurants.
- An Arlington TreasurebarbhDined on 5/25/2014We are most fortunate to have a restaurant with wonderful food and the best service in Greater Boston right in Arlington. We have been to Flora literally hundreds of times and have never had anything but a fantastic experience. The food is creatively and lovingly prepared and the staff is the friendliest in the business. They have become our friends. We can't recommend Flora enough.Special Features:
- Wonderful find, tasty and elegantNancyDined on 5/16/2014Attentive wait staff, very tasty main courses, beautiful setting in a former bank. My husband and our friend were extremely happy with their receptive chicken and daily fish specials. My "green risotto" was delicious but the portion was smaller than I expected, not quite enough for a main. Starter salads were ok and a it overpriced, but desert was delightful. Great parking in bank lot next door during dinner service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great, upscale neighborhood placedinerwithawhinerDined on 5/16/2014Having Flora in the neighborhood reminds me a little of being in Manhattan where there's a great restaurant around every corner. This is upscale food, but still fit for families and for special occasions. There's a good selection of vegetarian dishes along with great things for meat lovers. I had the steak and it was done better than at any of the steak houses in the area.Special Features:
- Warm and lovelyGoodrowerDined on 5/11/2014A perfect Mother's Day dinner! But Flora is lovely any time for a romantic evening or a gathering of friends. The food is yummy and the service is pleasant. A great place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/11/2014Our Mother's day brunch was outstanding, Flora's never disappoints! Wonderful restaurant, would highly recommend!Special Features:
- noisy, small menu, standard servicehamboDined on 5/10/2014Much too noisy in the main room. Heavy curtains did little to muffle reflections off walls and the ceiling. Menu choices were too few and a bit expensive. Service was just standard.
- Surprisingly goodletsmakeadealDined on 5/9/2014Really interesting flavor combinations. Great dressing on the arugala/avocado salad, excellent roasted beet salad, swordfish special with a red coulis and couscous (maybe) was great as was a green risotto. Loved the espresso creme brulee. A couple of dishes were fine but not great (kale and risotto ravioli was lacking a bit of flavor as was another salad with goat cheese). Overall a much better meal than I would have expected to get in Waltham. We will return.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exactly what I wantedazulitaDined on 5/7/2014Catching up with old friends is always a joy and adding great food makes the experience a memory. Things I loved about the experience include the ability to hear what my friend was saying, a perfectly cooked steak, the espresso creme de brullée was heavenly and the waitperson was knowledgeable, courteous, funny and knew exactly when to cut into our conversation while also knowing when not to. Water glasses refilled magically without interruption and drinks arrived without fanfare so we could keep catching up. There was a large event happening in the dining area near the bar but it didn't crowd us out or even affect us much at all. So they managed to have fun and so did we despite the different experiences we took away.Special Features:
- The following 1141 reviews are from the Flora reviews archive.
- We love Flora!IlikefoodDined on 5/3/2014Delicious food, warm ambiance, great service. The menu always has interesting items on it. Flora offers appetizers, entrees and medium plates, which are in between and a great idea because it makes the whole menu so flexible and accomodating to all different people.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FloraLinleejoDined on 5/2/2014As usual, Flora was great-Never been disappointed here. Theo, our waiter, really added to our enjoyment.Special Features:
- Consistently elegant/excellent foodstonegardenerDined on 5/1/2014This is the fifth time I've eaten at Flora. I have sampled the food of my companions and have found every dish to be a perfect combination of flavors, always prepared flawlessly. I had the rainbow trout the last time I was there. It's hard to find fresh water fish anywhere and this was a generous portion, the flavor was lovely, the texture was perfect.Special Features:
- Best Trout EverLaFemmeDined on 4/30/2014We had a lovely time at Flora. The food was imaginative and fresh. The roasted trout was fantastic which might be attributable to the amount of butter on it. The morels and rice we're the perfect accompaniment. The pork rib very good too although quite sweet. Frank loved the sweet potato hash. Service excellent but it was Wednesday on a rainy night so not sure that was typical. I've passed Flora numerous times and I'm so glad we finally went in. The impetus was a coupon from a donation to public radio. Thanks for supporting them, Flora.Special Features:
- EnnaDined on 4/25/2014All four entrees served at our table were delicious. Service was excellent and speedy. Our waitress was very knowledgable about the food and explained each dish in detail. This place is on the top of our list for dining!Special Features:
- Good Food Bad ServiceKimSDined on 4/25/2014Considering the atmosphere, menu selections and menu prices, we were expecting service that was on par. The waitress was less than professional, rambling through menu specials that she was reading, and inattentive. The chicken entree, salads, calamari and bisque were delicious, but the steak, which was ordered medium, came out raw initially and then overdone at the end. No offer was made to take this off the bill, and no apology was made, despite the fact that the steak came out after all other diners in our party were done. The waitress told us it was taking long because they were grilling a new steak….not true, it was the same one. There are far better options for great food and service in this price range.Special Features:
- FlorascrackerDined on 4/24/2014Service was very nice and amenable to splitting entree and salad. Food is routinely good. The negative: good food was served on cold plates which I really hate........and the haddock was a little overdone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- floraslovegoodfood2Dined on 4/20/2014as always the food was wonderful -E2aster dinner-the menu is always a surprise and the flavors and combinations are exquisite-the service was lovely and from the time we walked through the door to the time we left everyone made sure our dining experience was just a joy-thank you for being in my neighborhood and for your take on what a restaurant should be.Special Features:
- RELIABILY GOODOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/20/2014My husband and I enjoyed our Easter meal. Flora has reliably good food and service.Special Features:
- I have never been so warmlyOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 4/12/2014I have never been so warmly greeted at a restaurant at which I have made an OpenTable reservation. We were shown to a lovely window table. The restaurant was busy but there were a few unoccupied tables. The fish special was sold out by 6:30 pm so we ended up ordering a couple of the delectable scallops, a sweet potato gnocchi and a fried haddock with potatoes gaufrette. For starters we tried the carrot ginger soup and several of the wonderful salads. Everything was delicious and well-prepared. I wasn't hungry enough for a big entrée and appreciated the portion of gnocchi afforded by the middle plates category. The space is very charming and the service was attentive, well-informed and much appreciated.Special Features:
- At the Bar at Flora'sJoanieCVIPDined on 4/11/2014My husband and I are regulars at Flora's and we always really enjoy our time there. The food is excellent and I really like how you can choose between small (appetizer), medium and entree size dishes. Whenever we can, we sit at the bar. Ken, the wine manager and bar tender is super, and always makes our visit even more enjoyable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.