Flora - Oakland
1900 Telegraph Ave.
Oakland, CA 94608Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Flora - Oakland
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.floraoakland.com/
- Phone: 5102860100
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday and Sunday: 10:00am - 2:30pm; Lunch: Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm Bar remains open with a limited menu after dinner until 10pm Monday - Thursday and until 12 midnight Friday and Saturday.
FAUNA bar: Monday - Wednesday 5pm - midnight, Thursday 4pm - midnight, Friday 4pm - 1am Saturday 5pm - 1am
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Californian
- Executive Chef: Rico Rivera
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Flora - Oakland
Flora is housed in an Art Deco architectural gem in the Uptown district of Oakland. We serve a selection of reinvented American classics accompanied by an extensive menu of prohibition era cocktails. Fauna is our sister bar next door!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
Flora - Oakland - Best Restaurants in Oakland ›
Flora - Oakland reviews from OpenTable diners
159 reviews since June 25, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (98)neighborhood gem (83)special occasion (60)vibrant bar scene (57)hot spot (47)romantic (38)good for groups (24)notable wine list (23)great for brunch (23)great for lunch (9)late-night find (9)scenic view (4)kid-friendly (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Very disappointingMarilynVIPDined on 10/18/2014Last Saturday was our second visit. Our first visit had been very satisfactory and we were looking forward to returning. Our reservation was for 7:45. Our table wasn't ready so we were asked to wait in the Fauna bar. We walked right by the table we were later seated at. There was no reason to not be seated except to have us purchase drinks in the bar. Our waitress ( run if you get one with a blonde ponytail) was curt, unfriendly, didn"t bring any of our courses, or check in with us until she delivered the check. Food was tasty but the portions were so minuscule we left hungry. Best bet if you go, order the burger and caramel pudding. That was my order on our first visit and I was happy then.Special Features:
- Flora and Fauna--A HitOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 10/18/2014Had a pre-concert dinner at Flora and drinks from the attached bar named, Fauna. Scallops were very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Abysmal serviceLennyDined on 10/17/2014Though the welcome was warm the service was extremely poor. Our party of four was quickly seated and then we languished. Our waitress took ten minutes to stop by the table to take our drink order and then another 15 to deliver them. They were easy drinks, too. Scotch, straight up and Lillet on the rocks with a twist. We told them we had a show around the corner at 9:30 pm and still they brought out our entrees at 9:10 pm. We had to wolf them down and ask for receipt when plates were brought to the table. They are stort-staffed. Our dinner reservation was at 7:45 pm.
- Great Food - Bad ServiceFoodie3VIPDined on 10/17/2014Food was delicious. Server gave us the "hand" while asking for bread but then listened to us when it was convenient for her. We asked for butter 3 times and it never came. We ordered side dishes and they never came. We informed the server. She said "Sorry" and walked away. I found the manager and told him the story. He did apologize, comped 3 appetizers and gave us a $50 gift card. The server did apologize but it was obvious she was forced to apologize and seemed annoyed she had to be bothered by us. I love eating out and it takes a lot to make me angry but I doubt I will go back. Just bad experience. Unfortuate because the food was excellent. And this was the 6th or 7th time I have been there.Special Features:
- Good fun & drinks, terrible serviceeastbayfoodieDined on 10/14/2014I've been to Flora many times, and was so disappointed with the service on our last visit. The cocktails are fantastic as always. Food was very good (especially the pork dish). But the service was terrible. We waited 15 minutes after being seated...no server came by. I asked a server walking by if she could help us. Yes, she was our service. She takes our drink & dinner order, and we never see her again. Combination of bus staff and host bring drinks and food. Server NEVER checks in to see if we need more drinks or anything else. So disappointing.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 10/14/2014The food was delicious, but the service was less than satisfactory. Our waitress forgot our appetizer until we reminded her (after waiting 10 minutes) and then after we had eaten she brought us silverware and told us our food was almost ready. It was crowded, but we would have appreciated more attention from our waitress.
- Delicious food, Great place to sitShirleyTDined on 10/11/2014Beautiful dining room, terrific service and really delicious food and wine. Top notch experience. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- Delicious birthday dinner!epk88Dined on 10/8/2014We came to Flora for the first time for my husband's birthday dinner. It is a great special occasion restaurant. They have a lovely cocktail menu, extensive wine list, and a unique menu. The standout was the confit of pork shoulder with cabbage, spaghetti squash, apples, and a pomegranate salsa verde. The pork just melted in your mouth and the flavors melded together beautifully. The one downside is that the restaurant is very crowded, with tables extremely close together; however, the food is worth is and the service is great, and the ambient noise level is enough that it's not too awkward to be sitting that close to your fellow diners. If you're near the window, you get a cool view of the Fox Theater.Special Features:
- Never disappointstanukiDined on 10/8/2014The fairly short (for the Bay Area) menu ensures your food is fresh and prepared well. The selections change regularly and provide a selection to suit every taste. This is also one of those restaurants where you are charged for every side (potatoes, vegetables, etc.): I think that's a bit too precious for a local restaurant by Flora. Service is good, but when they are busy it can be hard to get your servers attention. I started with the ricotta gnocchi - excellent flavor but could have been warmer. My main course was the bouillabaisse - very good combination of seafood in a tasty broth. Not as large as at some restaurants but a very nice portion and quite filling: no room for dessert - a bit of a shame as the dessert menu looks tasty.Special Features:
- What a snobby place!ElleVIPDined on 10/4/2014We did not have a good experience here. It was a snobby place and the waitress was rude. We were the only people under 40 in the restaurant - and they made sure we did not feel welcome. The food was good but portions were very small. Definitely would not return.
- finefoodfirstVIPDined on 10/3/2014Based on indifferent attitude by the wait staff (and not the busers, they were kind) I won't be going back.
- Service needs improvementElla81Dined on 9/27/2014I've been to Flora several times, but this last time we went for dinner I was very disappointed with the service. Our waitress paid very little attention to our table, with our drink glasses standing empty, lack of bread, forgotten orders, etc. Making matters worse, our waitress was often chatting with the host/hostess or other waiters and waitresses, instead of attending to tables. The food was good, but the menu could use some work. The appetizer portions were off (burrata came with way too much cheese, no bread, and very little tomatoes). I ordered steak, thinking it would be paired with decent side-dishes, but instead it came almost bare with a small amount of spinach on top.Special Features:
- Totally DeliciousfirebettyDined on 9/27/2014I went with my two friends for my birthday. First I have to say, love the decor. Make a reservation for dinner on a weekend, and I would recommend it on a weekday as well. It was packed. I now know why. The food and the wine were fantastic. We started with simple things: the shrimp cocktail, and the crab bisque. Awesome. My friend and I split the ribeye steak, and our other friend had the salmon. Both dishes tasted delicious. they weren't fussy, or overly sauced up. They locally source, and have a seasonal menu, which is fantastic. The service was also really friendly, and timely. The wine list is small, but the glass I had was pretty great. They even brought me a free baby salted caramel dessert for my birthday which was amazing!Special Features:
- REDwoodShoresREDwoodShoresVIPDined on 9/26/2014An excellent pre and post concert gym. The menu is always interesting as is the wine list. Really like the wait staff: knowledgeable, friendly and attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- tasty but small portionsdinner2showDined on 9/26/2014I only got one tablespoon of cous cous with my salmon and a very small portion of potatoes with my husband's chicken plate. The food was excellent, but I'm not on a diet. I had to fill up on bread.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food has taken a dive.BayCVIPDined on 9/25/2014We have enjoyed Flora multiple times, especially before a show at the Fox. With so many restaurant choices in the area it had been over a year since we had returned. Once again before a Fox event we looked forward to dining at Flora. The food was shockingly bad. Every dish we ordered was bland unappealing and arrived lukewarm or cold. We actually failed to finish any of the four dishes ordered. We skipped desert. Still a great place to have a drink at the bar, but skip the food and head down the street.
- always excellentOlivierDined on 9/22/2014Just back from a trip and on the way in from the airport decided to stop at one of our favorites- and it did not disappoint, once again.Special Features:
- Great Place!hrwomanDined on 9/21/2014Food portions were generous and delicious! Try the chicken and waffles, you won't be disappointed! Service was outstanding!Special Features:
- onegreatexperienceDined on 9/20/2014Flora extended our reservation by phone from 3 to 6 very graciously. We had to arrive only 15 minutes earlier than reserved. They had Happy Birthday on the menu for my daughter! The food was fantastic as was the service. I tipped our wait staff double and have never done this before. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not good enough for the priceOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 9/19/2014The cocktails were excellent - very creative and yummy. The food however, was really lacking in both texture and flavor. One of us had the osso bucco and found it dry. I had the bouillabaisse and found it very uninteresting. It really needed more work on the sauce. Coupled with a rather high price tag, the value we got from this restaurant really did not meet the high expectations we have from Bay Area restaurants. It's a pity, as the location is great (right by the Fox and Paramount theaters), and the restaurant itself is a lovely Art Deco decor.
- Dessert LackingoldeoaklandDined on 9/18/2014Not sure what happened as we finished my fiancée's birthday dinner, well prepared and served. The flavors we chose for dinner drowned out the after work crowd cacophony. Caps delivered but without the dessert and NOT FOR A VERY LONG TIME, actually I had finished my coffee for close to 15minutes before we finally were served dessert! The birthday girl got a groovy sparkly candle in her fruit shortcake with mascarpone; but the quality of the pastry was poor, taking away from the luscious assorted berries-Huckleberries were perfect harvest. My caramel pudding with salted pecans was good flavor but over salted. Kinda a fizzle of an ending; I think the young server was overwhelmed, so not a full 20% tip. I would return and explore the menu.Special Features:
- A reliable favoriteLgljVIPDined on 9/17/2014All dishes were well prepared and a very good presentation was had for each of the four of us at the table. The salt Carmel pudding remains unmatched by any other restaurant. This place simply remains consistently good & satisfying.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/16/2014We love Flora. We eat there at least once a month and have never had a bad meal.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/13/2014It was our first time. The food was very good. I would recommend it to others.Special Features:
- Complex Dishes DisappointreturnvisitorDined on 9/12/2014My guest and I were seated at exactly the time of our reservation. The menu said "Acme Bread served upon request." It was - but the crust was soft and nothing had been done to crisp it. A first course of tempura fried oyster mushrooms was mostly batter and had none of the distinctive flavor or texture of the mushrooms. The tempura fried veggies were nicely seasoned and good. We were hungry and many menu choices were trendy combinations that did not appeal. We both chose rib eye steaks that were listed as specially sourced. The meat was good but we should have been warned that it was sliced too thin to be finished rare. The accompanying veggies were undercooked and lacked taste. The pear upside-down cake with a fig sauce was super.Special Features:
- Yum!CBsquaredDined on 9/10/2014Went here for our anniversary and was not disappointed one bit! I started off with a Primeaval Bramble, probably the most delicious cocktail I have ever had, and the rabbit (sorry cute bunny) and sausage appetizer. I had the steak and my husband the chicken and both were so good I almost licked the plate clean.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and service, too noisyO2BatCDined on 9/6/2014Second visit, this time with a larger party. The food was excellent, though it would have been nice to have more than one vegetarian option. Beer and cocktails were good also; we did not order wine. Service was very gracious, and readily accommodated requests to share appetizers and desserts and to divide the bill between two credit cards. But it turned out to be a good thing that our party was a bit smaller than originally planned. Even with fewer of us, the noise level made it impossible to carry on a conversation involving the entire party. I wish this trend were not so popular among restaurants these days.Special Features:
- Should be better for the priceloveOaklandVIPDined on 9/6/2014I love the art deco architecture of the bar and the vibrant mix of customers. Enjoy the cocktails and attentive waiters, but the menu/food prep needs more attention: The uninspired apple/walnut/greens salad arrived without dressing. My salmon was nicely prepared, but the portion was small. My husband was served a thin over-cooked rib-eye steak.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 8/31/2014We enjoyed our brunch entrees and the staff were all very friendly. But we needed to visit after on the sidewalk because the noise level made conversation impossible in the restaurant.
- Fabulous!raymac8Dined on 8/30/2014A friend recommended Fora after she had been there for brunch. We went for dinner with friends and had a fabulous experience. Started with cocktails at the bar - the bartender was friendly and mixed a perfect Old Fashioned and Negroni. The hostess was gracious and allowed us to linger at the bar. We moved to the table and ordered the avocado toast and burrata. Both were excellent. For entrees we had the steak, chicken and sea bass, and a side of polenta. All were great but the sea bass was the star - best I've ever had! We finished with a taste of the caramel pudding. A wonderful, wonderful meal! Highly recommended!Special Features:
- Awesome!TbankzDined on 8/30/2014The boyfriend and I celebrated our anniversary here and service was attentive, friendly and impeccable. Environment is a bit loud but after a few cocktails you forget about the noise lol. Our waitress was genuinely nice and even wished us a very happy anni. After dinner, she brought us out a yummy complimentary dessert! How sweet is that! I couldn't stop smiling. It's the little things like that, that make you feel more than a customer. Overall, food was delicious and we had a wonderful time. Thank you Flora!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic MealOccasionalFoodieDined on 8/30/2014My wife and I dined at Flora for our wedding anniversary. It's a busy, but romantic setting. The food was great!Special Features:
- Great drinks only!NotgoodDined on 8/30/2014Food was disappointing. In most cases thought that I could have made it better at home. Service was terrible. They took my husbands drink Before he was finished without asking. Waitress was short with us. After our soup, our dishes sat empty in front of us for 15 minutes while they cleaned and reset a table that customers had finished way after we had finished our soup.Special Features:
- Great Oakland pickOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/29/2014Chef Tu has his finger on the pulse. New creative dishes that will pique your interest and your taste buds. Yay.Special Features:
- lovely serviceltufromberkeleyVIPDined on 8/29/2014I brought a client here for a business lunch recently. My client has certain food issues and the server was sensitive and helpful. We had the rattatouile over polenta and the prawns nicoise which had a touch of spice - well executed. Many thanks to all at Flora.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loud but goodwoodythewoodworkerDined on 8/28/2014Stragically located across from The Fox theater and around the corner from the Paramount, this is a great place to have dinner before a show, or to go for a drink after. Hard walls, floors, and ceilings means this place is really loud when full, but the good food and service make up for some of that.Special Features:
- Hot spot by the Fox TheatreAmelieVIPDined on 8/22/2014Great apps, the meatballs were incredible as were the melon, steak salad. Original combinations resulting in fantastic plates. Main courses didn't fail to delight, an overall wonderful experience. Our waitperson was amazing as well!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect for pre-show dinnermSealyDined on 8/22/2014I've had dinner here at Flora before.. also had drinks with friends next door at Fauna. It's always superb. This time our reservations were for our night out at the Fox Theater, across the street. The food at Flora was great.. perfect ribeye, delicious salad, gaspacho, and amazing chiccarones. We also enjoyed seeing the scene outside the restaurant as the concert was about to start. Our server was sweet and attentive. She let us know that we'd see when the opening act started by looking across the street to the tvs in Den at the Fox. That was helpful, and allowed us to enjoy dessert without worry. Only regret is that Flora's bar was out of two staples I ordered, Jameson, and Bulleit Bourbon. But Carter Beats the Devil cocktail is exquisite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RamblinManVIPDined on 8/18/2014Excellent overall. We hosted a birthday dinner and Flora not only delivered their usual delicious food through their attentive service staff but they also went out of their way to make the birthday celebration special (sparking candle, personalized birthday menu). Great place for dinner and special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Strong flavors; one-note mainsBrooklynguyDined on 8/15/2014I love being at Flora. The Fox Theater is out the window. The street is crowded with people going to the other uptown restaurants and clubs. The staff are outstanding. I have been coming to Flora since it opened. Over time the menu has become spicier, and I really like it. It's not trying to overlap with Duende next door -- that's full-on Mexican. Spiciness is now an enticing option in everything from cocktails to mains. Most mains feature a protein headliner plus some tantalizing veggies or greens. When the plate arrives it's almost all headliner. You have to remember the others to even identify them. I would welcome more balance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.