Flora - Oakland
1900 Telegraph Ave.
Oakland, CA 94608Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Flora - Oakland
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.floraoakland.com/
- Phone: 5102860100
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday and Sunday: 10:00am - 2:30pm; Lunch: Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm Bar remains open with a limited menu after dinner until 10pm Monday - Thursday and until 12 midnight Friday and Saturday.
FAUNA bar: Monday - Wednesday 5pm - midnight, Thursday 4pm - midnight, Friday 4pm - 1am Saturday 5pm - 1am
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Californian
- Executive Chef: Rico Rivera
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Flora - Oakland
Flora is housed in an Art Deco architectural gem in the Uptown district of Oakland. We serve a selection of reinvented American classics accompanied by an extensive menu of prohibition era cocktails. Fauna is our sister bar next door!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
Flora - Oakland - Best Restaurants in Oakland ›
Flora - Oakland reviews from OpenTable diners
146 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (88)neighborhood gem (77)special occasion (61)vibrant bar scene (54)hot spot (44)romantic (40)good for groups (25)great for brunch (23)notable wine list (21)late-night find (10)great for lunch (10)scenic view (5)kid-friendly (4)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Service needs improvementOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/27/2014I've been to Flora several times, but this last time we went for dinner I was very disappointed with the service. Our waitress paid very little attention to our table, with our drink glasses standing empty, lack of bread, forgotten orders, etc. Making matters worse, our waitress was often chatting with the host/hostess or other waiters and waitresses, instead of attending to tables. The food was good, but the menu could use some work. The appetizer portions were off (burrata came with way too much cheese, no bread, and very little tomatoes). I ordered steak, thinking it would be paired with decent side-dishes, but instead it came almost bare with a small amount of spinach on top.Special Features:
- Totally DeliciousfirebettyDined on 9/27/2014I went with my two friends for my birthday. First I have to say, love the decor. Make a reservation for dinner on a weekend, and I would recommend it on a weekday as well. It was packed. I now know why. The food and the wine were fantastic. We started with simple things: the shrimp cocktail, and the crab bisque. Awesome. My friend and I split the ribeye steak, and our other friend had the salmon. Both dishes tasted delicious. they weren't fussy, or overly sauced up. They locally source, and have a seasonal menu, which is fantastic. The service was also really friendly, and timely. The wine list is small, but the glass I had was pretty great. They even brought me a free baby salted caramel dessert for my birthday which was amazing!Special Features:
- REDwoodShoresREDwoodShoresVIPDined on 9/26/2014An excellent pre and post concert gym. The menu is always interesting as is the wine list. Really like the wait staff: knowledgeable, friendly and attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- tasty but small portionsOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/26/2014I only got one tablespoon of cous cous with my salmon and a very small portion of potatoes with my husband's chicken plate. The food was excellent, but I'm not on a diet. I had to fill up on bread.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food has taken a dive.BayCVIPDined on 9/25/2014We have enjoyed Flora multiple times, especially before a show at the Fox. With so many restaurant choices in the area it had been over a year since we had returned. Once again before a Fox event we looked forward to dining at Flora. The food was shockingly bad. Every dish we ordered was bland unappealing and arrived lukewarm or cold. We actually failed to finish any of the four dishes ordered. We skipped desert. Still a great place to have a drink at the bar, but skip the food and head down the street.
- always excellentOlivierDined on 9/22/2014Just back from a trip and on the way in from the airport decided to stop at one of our favorites- and it did not disappoint, once again.Special Features:
- Great Place!hrwomanDined on 9/21/2014Food portions were generous and delicious! Try the chicken and waffles, you won't be disappointed! Service was outstanding!Special Features:
- onegreatexperienceDined on 9/20/2014Flora extended our reservation by phone from 3 to 6 very graciously. We had to arrive only 15 minutes earlier than reserved. They had Happy Birthday on the menu for my daughter! The food was fantastic as was the service. I tipped our wait staff double and have never done this before. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not good enough for the priceOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 9/19/2014The cocktails were excellent - very creative and yummy. The food however, was really lacking in both texture and flavor. One of us had the osso bucco and found it dry. I had the bouillabaisse and found it very uninteresting. It really needed more work on the sauce. Coupled with a rather high price tag, the value we got from this restaurant really did not meet the high expectations we have from Bay Area restaurants. It's a pity, as the location is great (right by the Fox and Paramount theaters), and the restaurant itself is a lovely Art Deco decor.
- Dessert LackingoldeoaklandDined on 9/18/2014Not sure what happened as we finished my fiancée's birthday dinner, well prepared and served. The flavors we chose for dinner drowned out the after work crowd cacophony. Caps delivered but without the dessert and NOT FOR A VERY LONG TIME, actually I had finished my coffee for close to 15minutes before we finally were served dessert! The birthday girl got a groovy sparkly candle in her fruit shortcake with mascarpone; but the quality of the pastry was poor, taking away from the luscious assorted berries-Huckleberries were perfect harvest. My caramel pudding with salted pecans was good flavor but over salted. Kinda a fizzle of an ending; I think the young server was overwhelmed, so not a full 20% tip. I would return and explore the menu.Special Features:
- A reliable favoriteLgljVIPDined on 9/17/2014All dishes were well prepared and a very good presentation was had for each of the four of us at the table. The salt Carmel pudding remains unmatched by any other restaurant. This place simply remains consistently good & satisfying.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/16/2014We love Flora. We eat there at least once a month and have never had a bad meal.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/13/2014It was our first time. The food was very good. I would recommend it to others.Special Features:
- Complex Dishes DisappointreturnvisitorDined on 9/12/2014My guest and I were seated at exactly the time of our reservation. The menu said "Acme Bread served upon request." It was - but the crust was soft and nothing had been done to crisp it. A first course of tempura fried oyster mushrooms was mostly batter and had none of the distinctive flavor or texture of the mushrooms. The tempura fried veggies were nicely seasoned and good. We were hungry and many menu choices were trendy combinations that did not appeal. We both chose rib eye steaks that were listed as specially sourced. The meat was good but we should have been warned that it was sliced too thin to be finished rare. The accompanying veggies were undercooked and lacked taste. The pear upside-down cake with a fig sauce was super.Special Features:
- Yum!CBsquaredDined on 9/10/2014Went here for our anniversary and was not disappointed one bit! I started off with a Primeaval Bramble, probably the most delicious cocktail I have ever had, and the rabbit (sorry cute bunny) and sausage appetizer. I had the steak and my husband the chicken and both were so good I almost licked the plate clean.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and service, too noisyO2BatCDined on 9/6/2014Second visit, this time with a larger party. The food was excellent, though it would have been nice to have more than one vegetarian option. Beer and cocktails were good also; we did not order wine. Service was very gracious, and readily accommodated requests to share appetizers and desserts and to divide the bill between two credit cards. But it turned out to be a good thing that our party was a bit smaller than originally planned. Even with fewer of us, the noise level made it impossible to carry on a conversation involving the entire party. I wish this trend were not so popular among restaurants these days.Special Features:
- Should be better for the priceloveOaklandVIPDined on 9/6/2014I love the art deco architecture of the bar and the vibrant mix of customers. Enjoy the cocktails and attentive waiters, but the menu/food prep needs more attention: The uninspired apple/walnut/greens salad arrived without dressing. My salmon was nicely prepared, but the portion was small. My husband was served a thin over-cooked rib-eye steak.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 8/31/2014We enjoyed our brunch entrees and the staff were all very friendly. But we needed to visit after on the sidewalk because the noise level made conversation impossible in the restaurant.
- Fabulous!raymac8Dined on 8/30/2014A friend recommended Fora after she had been there for brunch. We went for dinner with friends and had a fabulous experience. Started with cocktails at the bar - the bartender was friendly and mixed a perfect Old Fashioned and Negroni. The hostess was gracious and allowed us to linger at the bar. We moved to the table and ordered the avocado toast and burrata. Both were excellent. For entrees we had the steak, chicken and sea bass, and a side of polenta. All were great but the sea bass was the star - best I've ever had! We finished with a taste of the caramel pudding. A wonderful, wonderful meal! Highly recommended!Special Features:
- Awesome!TbankzDined on 8/30/2014The boyfriend and I celebrated our anniversary here and service was attentive, friendly and impeccable. Environment is a bit loud but after a few cocktails you forget about the noise lol. Our waitress was genuinely nice and even wished us a very happy anni. After dinner, she brought us out a yummy complimentary dessert! How sweet is that! I couldn't stop smiling. It's the little things like that, that make you feel more than a customer. Overall, food was delicious and we had a wonderful time. Thank you Flora!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic MealOccasionalFoodieDined on 8/30/2014My wife and I dined at Flora for our wedding anniversary. It's a busy, but romantic setting. The food was great!Special Features:
- Great drinks only!NotgoodDined on 8/30/2014Food was disappointing. In most cases thought that I could have made it better at home. Service was terrible. They took my husbands drink Before he was finished without asking. Waitress was short with us. After our soup, our dishes sat empty in front of us for 15 minutes while they cleaned and reset a table that customers had finished way after we had finished our soup.Special Features:
- lovely serviceltufromberkeleyVIPDined on 8/29/2014I brought a client here for a business lunch recently. My client has certain food issues and the server was sensitive and helpful. We had the rattatouile over polenta and the prawns nicoise which had a touch of spice - well executed. Many thanks to all at Flora.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loud but goodwoodythewoodworkerDined on 8/28/2014Stragically located across from The Fox theater and around the corner from the Paramount, this is a great place to have dinner before a show, or to go for a drink after. Hard walls, floors, and ceilings means this place is really loud when full, but the good food and service make up for some of that.Special Features:
- Hot spot by the Fox TheatreAmelieVIPDined on 8/22/2014Great apps, the meatballs were incredible as were the melon, steak salad. Original combinations resulting in fantastic plates. Main courses didn't fail to delight, an overall wonderful experience. Our waitperson was amazing as well!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect for pre-show dinnermSealyDined on 8/22/2014I've had dinner here at Flora before.. also had drinks with friends next door at Fauna. It's always superb. This time our reservations were for our night out at the Fox Theater, across the street. The food at Flora was great.. perfect ribeye, delicious salad, gaspacho, and amazing chiccarones. We also enjoyed seeing the scene outside the restaurant as the concert was about to start. Our server was sweet and attentive. She let us know that we'd see when the opening act started by looking across the street to the tvs in Den at the Fox. That was helpful, and allowed us to enjoy dessert without worry. Only regret is that Flora's bar was out of two staples I ordered, Jameson, and Bulleit Bourbon. But Carter Beats the Devil cocktail is exquisite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RamblinManVIPDined on 8/18/2014Excellent overall. We hosted a birthday dinner and Flora not only delivered their usual delicious food through their attentive service staff but they also went out of their way to make the birthday celebration special (sparking candle, personalized birthday menu). Great place for dinner and special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Strong flavors; one-note mainsBrooklynguyDined on 8/15/2014I love being at Flora. The Fox Theater is out the window. The street is crowded with people going to the other uptown restaurants and clubs. The staff are outstanding. I have been coming to Flora since it opened. Over time the menu has become spicier, and I really like it. It's not trying to overlap with Duende next door -- that's full-on Mexican. Spiciness is now an enticing option in everything from cocktails to mains. Most mains feature a protein headliner plus some tantalizing veggies or greens. When the plate arrives it's almost all headliner. You have to remember the others to even identify them. I would welcome more balance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful eveningEGuzmanDined on 8/14/2014My wife and I came to Flora to celebrate our 32nd wedding anniversary. We had a great dinner evening. The food and service was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Trying hard to be really goodJoyskiVIPDined on 8/8/2014The cool service and a limited menu of food and drink was a turn-off initially. The manager impressed, though, when he learned I was missing my Dewar's and offered me a complementary Scotch that he recommended, and it was quite good. Food was well prepared and imaginative, but somehow not delicious. I had the pork and my companion had the burger. I'd give them another try, though, because the vibe is energetic and unpretentious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friday Lunch is a Treat!RoseEDined on 8/8/2014Great place to meet for classy lunch with the coworkers or friends on a Friday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food ok serviceShelliBVIPDined on 8/5/2014We licked our plates clean! Getting our drinks and our order in took too long, and lots of frozen beer. This place is always noisey so be prepared. The food is great!!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary DinnerFormerFloraLoverDined on 8/2/2014We have enjoyed our past dining experiences at Flora, but this last experience left us very dissatisfied and we will more than likely not return for another meal. The waitress could have cared less about us being there. She never mentioned any specials, and we noticed people being served an item that did not appear on the menu. We orderd medium rare burgers, and ours were done and dry as were the buns. We asked for new buns, received them only to be dry as well. I have ordered it every time I have visited Flora. I received a teeny, tiny ramekin of pudding pudding. The portion size was adequate for a child. VERY DISAPPOINTING!!!!Special Features:
- JThune8020Dined on 8/2/2014simply divine! This will always be my go to for brunchSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- stareaterDined on 8/1/2014Lovely presentations with nice portion sizes and unique flavors. Don't expect a quite dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/31/2014Great service, food and delicious caramel dessert!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Impeccable FLORAMattKellsDined on 7/30/2014Had a great experience for our Birthdays at FLORA ! Exceptional food; drink; service ! Congrats to Tom, Donna, Rico, Joe for creating and maintaining this great restaurant. Best cook shrimp ever ! Wide selection of first courses and mains; we ordered just about all. Desserts were delicious and fresh. Overall one of the best meals we've had this year !Special Features:
- Fresh ingredients and great serviceDPadDined on 7/29/2014The food is always fresh and exciting. Service is personal and inviting. The ambience is romantic and intimate. It's a place for special moments!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great cocktailsHIlaryDined on 7/26/2014Flora is a restaurant with an interesting selection of food very nicely prepared, but even more importantly they have very imaginative bartenders creating excellent and interesting cocktails.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service was a little spottyOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 7/26/2014We asked for a napkin several times from different staff, none came, and my friend had to get up and get one. Food was great. No complaints in that department. Ribeye with anchovy butter was fantastic, but I couldnt finish it all. Was looking forward to eating it the next day. It never came. Had to ask for my doggie bag. A bag was produced by the hostess. Got home and it was someone else's leftovers!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.