Flora - Oakland
1900 Telegraph Ave.
Oakland, CA 94608Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Flora - Oakland
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.floraoakland.com/
- Phone: 5102860100x
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday and Sunday: 10:00am - 2:30pm; Lunch: Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm Bar remains open with a limited menu after dinner until 10pm Monday - Thursday and until 12 midnight Friday and Saturday.
FAUNA bar: Monday - Wednesday 5pm - midnight, Thursday 4pm - midnight, Friday 4pm - 1am Saturday 5pm - 1am
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Californian
- Executive Chef: Rico Rivera
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Flora - Oakland
Flora is housed in an Art Deco architectural gem in the Uptown district of Oakland. We serve a selection of reinvented American classics accompanied by an extensive menu of prohibition era cocktails. Fauna is our sister bar next door!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
Flora - Oakland - Best Restaurants in Oakland ›
Flora - Oakland reviews from OpenTable diners
150 reviews since April 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (78)neighborhood gem (70)special occasion (60)vibrant bar scene (53)romantic (39)hot spot (37)great for brunch (32)good for groups (21)great for lunch (16)notable wine list (15)late-night find (10)kid-friendly (4)scenic view (3)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- RamblinManDined on 8/18/2014Excellent overall. We hosted a birthday dinner and Flora not only delivered their usual delicious food through their attentive service staff but they also went out of their way to make the birthday celebration special (sparking candle, personalized birthday menu). Great place for dinner and special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Strong flavors; one-note mainsBrooklynguyDined on 8/15/2014I love being at Flora. The Fox Theater is out the window. The street is crowded with people going to the other uptown restaurants and clubs. The staff are outstanding. I have been coming to Flora since it opened. Over time the menu has become spicier, and I really like it. It's not trying to overlap with Duende next door -- that's full-on Mexican. Spiciness is now an enticing option in everything from cocktails to mains. Most mains feature a protein headliner plus some tantalizing veggies or greens. When the plate arrives it's almost all headliner. You have to remember the others to even identify them. I would welcome more balance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful eveningEGuzmanDined on 8/14/2014My wife and I came to Flora to celebrate our 32nd wedding anniversary. We had a great dinner evening. The food and service was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Trying hard to be really goodJoyskiVIPDined on 8/8/2014The cool service and a limited menu of food and drink was a turn-off initially. The manager impressed, though, when he learned I was missing my Dewar's and offered me a complementary Scotch that he recommended, and it was quite good. Food was well prepared and imaginative, but somehow not delicious. I had the pork and my companion had the burger. I'd give them another try, though, because the vibe is energetic and unpretentious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friday Lunch is a Treat!RoseEDined on 8/8/2014Great place to meet for classy lunch with the coworkers or friends on a Friday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food ok serviceShelliBVIPDined on 8/5/2014We licked our plates clean! Getting our drinks and our order in took too long, and lots of frozen beer. This place is always noisey so be prepared. The food is great!!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary DinnerFormerFloraLoverDined on 8/2/2014We have enjoyed our past dining experiences at Flora, but this last experience left us very dissatisfied and we will more than likely not return for another meal. The waitress could have cared less about us being there. She never mentioned any specials, and we noticed people being served an item that did not appear on the menu. We orderd medium rare burgers, and ours were done and dry as were the buns. We asked for new buns, received them only to be dry as well. I have ordered it every time I have visited Flora. I received a teeny, tiny ramekin of pudding pudding. The portion size was adequate for a child. VERY DISAPPOINTING!!!!Special Features:
- JThune8020Dined on 8/2/2014simply divine! This will always be my go to for brunchSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- stareaterDined on 8/1/2014Lovely presentations with nice portion sizes and unique flavors. Don't expect a quite dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/31/2014Great service, food and delicious caramel dessert!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Impeccable FLORAMattKellsDined on 7/30/2014Had a great experience for our Birthdays at FLORA ! Exceptional food; drink; service ! Congrats to Tom, Donna, Rico, Joe for creating and maintaining this great restaurant. Best cook shrimp ever ! Wide selection of first courses and mains; we ordered just about all. Desserts were delicious and fresh. Overall one of the best meals we've had this year !Special Features:
- Fresh ingredients and great serviceDPadDined on 7/29/2014The food is always fresh and exciting. Service is personal and inviting. The ambience is romantic and intimate. It's a place for special moments!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great cocktailsHIlaryDined on 7/26/2014Flora is a restaurant with an interesting selection of food very nicely prepared, but even more importantly they have very imaginative bartenders creating excellent and interesting cocktails.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service was a little spottyOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 7/26/2014We asked for a napkin several times from different staff, none came, and my friend had to get up and get one. Food was great. No complaints in that department. Ribeye with anchovy butter was fantastic, but I couldnt finish it all. Was looking forward to eating it the next day. It never came. Had to ask for my doggie bag. A bag was produced by the hostess. Got home and it was someone else's leftovers!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- flora in the old flower marketfoodieDined on 7/26/2014we enjoyed the food at flora and the service was excellent but it was a bit too loud for usSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Place before a ShowSangria707VIPDined on 7/26/2014We called when we were caught in horrible traffic and realized we were not going to make our reservation in time and they were so kind to hold our table. Set us up for an amazing experience. Watermelon and Shrimp Salad was the best dish I've had this summer. Ordered the Rabbit to be adventurous and found it a little tough and bland. I'm sure I would have enjoyed anything else I would have ordered as all the food around me looked amazing. I had one of the best cocktails, the Primaeval Bramble...so good I ordered all the ingredients for home. Oh, and our server and the service in general was outstanding. Will be back for sure and will recommend to all. Thank YOU.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Classy BrunchElizabethDined on 7/20/2014I've been to Flora many times for their amazing dinners, but brunch turned out to be just as good! The food is simply amazing!Special Features:
- Inspired Menu and Jazzy StaffJustMovedfromSFDined on 7/20/2014Feels like the Village in NYC; both funky and sophisticated. Food is superb, great creativity and attention to detail. So delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/18/2014Beautiful space AND WE WERE WELL-TAKEN CARE OF! tHANKS.Special Features:
- An Oakland GemWayneBDined on 7/17/2014I wish I could say I make it here more than I get a chance to, but over the past few years since we started coming here, this place has been a gem. We came here recently for my sisters birthday, and as always, Flora never fails to impress. The food was wonderful, with great presentation. Notably, their fish dishes are always done exceptionally well, and the burger is surprisingly very good. As many know, the cocktails are always wonderful, if not, the reason to come to Flora. Carter Beats the Devil has been forever a favorite amongst myself and friends. The list is quite creative, with some nods to other bar programs around the country, and some lesser known classics as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good ExperiencejoyousDined on 7/15/2014I had an early dinner on a Tuesday evening which was really good! I had grilled shrimp and the house salad which was really quite tasty. My friends has the halibut which they thoroughly enjoyed.Special Features:
- OK food, OK service, loudNameVIPDined on 7/8/2014The salad was good; lightly dressed with fresh ingredients. We both had the hamburger - somewhat passable. Mine wasn't cooked medium rare (more like well-done) - same for my guest. The french fries were hot and tasted fine. Service was slow, but efficient. Not sure why one has to ask to get a refill on cold tea. They kept the water coming, but I had to ask (repeatedly) for the cold tea. Not my first visit here, but food and service remains the same: OK/average food and OK/average service. The place is loud, however, so expect to elevate your voice if you want to have a conversation.
- Really delicious and original menuleBoeufDined on 7/5/2014The chef must be a treasure. Each dish was thoughtfully executed: combination of flavors a treat, quality of ingredients fresh and flavorful, and good-looking presentations. Our cocktails were also original, and very good. The waitress was responsive, checked in inobtrusively, and informed about the menu when we had questions. We were not hurried through the meal, but nicely paced service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FindOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/2/2014I was expecting the food to be ok. We surprised to find great food. . The wait staff was awesome. We will add this place to our restaurant rotation.Special Features:
- Nice food, poor servicejvivDined on 6/28/2014The food was very good overall -- fresh and well conceived (with the exception of a polenta side (honey and blue cheese, ugh)). The waitress and one of the other wait staff people were sour, in a bad mood, and generally killing any good vibes created by the nice looking restaurant and tasty meal.Special Features:
- Bad service ruined our experienceholidayroadDined on 6/28/2014I've been to Flora several times and thought it the perfect spot to take my husband for his birthday dinner before a show at the Fox. We were also celebrating my husband's new job. Unfortunately, our server just couldn't be bothered with us. We sat for a good 10 minutes before she took our drink order and she seemed so annoyed by the fact that I asked her to recommend something refreshing from the cocktail list (which she wouldn't do). It set a tone that just soured our experience. She was also busy with a large party and we were an after thought at best. I really liked Flora up until this experience. I won't be going back for a while as there are so many new restaurants coming up in Oakland.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Please smileSglock9Dined on 6/25/2014Our server had no personality and seemed to not be able to smile. She seemed annoyed when we asked questions about the drink and dinner menu. Not to mention responding with word like depends or it's up to you with no explanation. Food was very good I think the service is the weak link here...I would recommend this to a friend.
- Flora is Overated!OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 6/24/2014I have received better service at In-And-Out Burgers. Our server was apparently trained at a truck-stop diner. My steak was over-cooked. The bun on my wife's burger fell apart and her fries were over cooked as well. We felt cramped in the small accommodations and we felt like we were an inconvenience to the wait staff. We will not be returning to this establishment.
- MferVIPDined on 6/23/2014Shrub was great mixed drinks are always great here. Extra side of greens is a nice touch to the entreesSpecial Features:
- What Did You Say ?wantogobackDined on 6/20/2014Enjoyed the food (Pork Chop) and Service (attentive but not hovering) but the noise level was off the chart/over the top ! Made for a conversation free dinner which was disappointing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, not-so-great serviceMuchachaVIPDined on 6/19/2014Overall vibe of the place is great - a mix of old school deco with some banquettes, high ceilings, and modern touches. Salads (beet/garbanzo/eggplant and shrimp/avo/melon) were the highlight with really bright flavors. Salads came right out but there was a seemingly interminable wait of 40 minutes for a simple main entree of roasted salmon. Dessert was a tasty but overly dry bread pudding. Service fell short - mashed potatoes delivered cold, a water pitcher was spilled on our table, and our irritating 30-something hipster server who somehow thought it was ok to call us "sweetheart" and "hon."Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A home runredbikejoeDined on 6/16/2014We treated out-of-town friends to dinner. They were impressed by the quality food and service. Flora is our "special occasion" destination.Special Features:
- FloraOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/14/2014I saw Flora on Check please bay area and I wanted to take my dad there. We were seated promptly and our order was taken promptly as well but it was all downhill from there. Our waitress decided it was more important to talk to someone for 15 minutes before bringing us our drinks and appetizers, the worst service I've ever experienced. The beet salad and meatballs were delicious however the hamburger I had was dry and bland. I will not be going back and would never recommend this place.Special Features:
- A bit disappointingfoodpassionVIPDined on 6/13/2014We were really looking forward to dining at Flora. We had a big family event and we wanted to celebrate. We had seen Flora and love Dona Tomas. The cocktails were amazing but the food was very disappointing. My halibut was cold and not at all what it should have been and my son's vegetarian entree was half the size of the other entrees and he left hungry. The wait person put the food down but never really checked back with us. I will return for just the cocktails.Special Features:
- Delicious & FunubetsyaDined on 6/11/2014My friends and I loved our recent dinner at Flora. It's a great space, and the menu, cocktails and wine list are excellent. The server and kitchen dealt deftly and thoughtfully with a dietary restriction and a special request. We will definitely go back.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/5/2014We had a fabulous time, the food ambiance and service was extremely good!Special Features:
- MagicalJustthebestDined on 6/4/2014With a party of eight, we were treated with attentive, charming service, outstanding food (red mustard greens salad - dynamite; halibut - best ever), "energetic" ambience which covered our equally energetic table conversation, perfection from the mixologists (worth the trip for them alone) and surprise personalized menus! May be our favorite!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nicely doneOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/31/2014Very nice experience at Flora. Interesting and tasty food items. Delicious Bloody Marys. Friendly and attentive service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Noisy and friendlyArchvbnDined on 5/29/2014Have been to Flora several times for lunch and dinner. The food this time was generally well prepared but took a while to arrive and was no longer hot. The service was attentive but forgot one of our side orders. The atmosphere is boisterous but occasionally too noisy for conversation. Fine addition to the downtown Oakland scene.Special Features:
- SmashingLongRangerDined on 5/24/2014Flora is a marvelous restaurant, next door to a bar named Fauna. The food is imaginative and excellently prepared. i had a sauteed squid appetizer that really looked like squid for once. Outstanding. Service is crisp but not snobbish. Ambiance is chic. And the prices are reasonable. Good value all around. Too bad I live in Texas or I would be a regular.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.