Flora - Oakland
1900 Telegraph Ave.
Oakland, CA 94608Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Flora - Oakland
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.floraoakland.com/
- Phone: (510) 286-0100
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday and Sunday: 10:00am - 2:30pm; Lunch: Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm Bar remains open with a limited menu after dinner until 10pm Monday - Thursday and until 12 midnight Friday and Saturday.
FAUNA bar: Monday - Wednesday 5pm - midnight, Thursday 4pm - midnight, Friday 4pm - 1am Saturday 5pm - 1am
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Californian
- Executive Chef: Rico Rivera
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Flora - Oakland
Flora is housed in an Art Deco architectural gem in the Uptown district of Oakland. We serve a selection of reinvented American classics accompanied by an extensive menu of prohibition era cocktails. Fauna is our sister bar next door!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
Flora - Oakland - Best Restaurants in Oakland ›
Flora - Oakland reviews from OpenTable diners
163 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (105)neighborhood gem (74)special occasion (57)vibrant bar scene (57)hot spot (54)romantic (36)great for brunch (26)notable wine list (25)good for groups (21)great for lunch (12)late-night find (11)scenic view (4)kid-friendly (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Convenient and tasty spot near 19th St BARTspot2610VIPDined on 11/15/2014Flora and its sister bar, Fauna, are excellent meeting spots for a pre-show meal or drink (the Fox and Paramount theaters are within a few blocks), and great as a central meeting sport for friends coming from far east bay and San Francisco. The food was very tasty, and the drinks were solid (the $11 mimosa read as a bit pricey, given that they don't have the option to get a carafe for the table - and at a ladies' brunch, there are going to be multiple rounds). One in our group brought her 4-month-old, and the staff were kind enough to make room for the stroller. I didn't see whether there were any high-chairs available, but it's casual enough to bring a small child without feeling like there's too much disruption. Overall - love the art-deco decor, friendly staff, american fare, and overall vibe. Would recommend if you're looking for a spot in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great wines, but very pricey by the glass.OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 11/14/2014The burger is EXCELLENT. Maybe the best thing on the menu. Fries are crispy and perfect in every way. Wines are great, but very expensive by the glass an with frugal purs to boot. Good option if you are going to a show at The Fox Oakland, which is across the street.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very AccomodatingCapitanaDined on 11/13/2014I always plan to arrive 5 minutes ahead of any reservation that I have made. Due to awful freeway traffic I had to call the restaurant and say that we would be late. We told the receptionist that we did have tickets for a show nearby. She indicated that she would work with us even though they were incredibly busy. We arrived 30 minutes late (no pre-planning for traffic could have anticipated that). The restaurant was packed but our table was waiting for us. Dinner was great, service was too! We will go back to this restaurant when we have tickets for another concert at the Fox. Only wish we had time to enjoy one of the many cocktails as the menu looked fabulous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but a bit priceysanfrancisconativeDined on 11/11/2014Flora is a good spot with good food, however, the prices are high for the neighborhood and for what you get in return. The place was busy for a weeknight, so I presume patrons are willing to pay city prices (=SF). SF restaurants have higher operating costs: higher rent, taxes, wages, but this is Uptown Oakland, where I presume the operating costs are lower. The chef'ing was excellent as dishes were distinct and had depth of flavor and texture. The architecture makes the place noisy, so one has to shout to your dining companion. Our server, Maggie, was excellent! Knowledgeable and efficient, while not obtrusive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KrmlkatVIPDined on 11/11/2014Flora is a great little Oakland gem. Food, service, ambiance all good. We'll go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice find in downtown Oakland.naaaDined on 11/7/2014Food and service was top notch. Noise level was loud, had to almost shout to have a conversation.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too Noisy for ConversationoldladyDined on 11/7/2014The food, cocktails and service were outstanding, but as the restaurant filled up the noise level made conversation impossible. It really turned an enjoyable dinner experience into an unbearable din. Too bad because I will not go there again when the restaurant may be full.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent meal, and serviceArbeeDined on 11/6/2014We had a wonderful evening with our friends before attending an Art Deco concert event at Piedmont Piano just up the street. Excellent service from Katy, perfectly prepared meal, not rushed, overall a lovely evening. We came from San Jose through the traffic for the concert and the restaurant was the perfect way to kick off the evening. We had two friends join us there as well and they loved everything as well.Special Features:
- Superb food/service but noisyConradDined on 11/3/2014Went there for a birthday dinner/special occasion because of raves of many friends. Raves fully justified - superb food. Every dish but one rated five stars in our personal ratings. We're lucky to find that once or twice a year. Special favorites - the pork comfit, the brussel sprouts, the caramel pudding, and the Carter Beats the Devil cocktail. But the noise made it difficult to carry on a conversation. Lively environment would be endearing to our foodie-kids, however. Fine wine & cocktail lists, great bar. Waitress highly informative & charming, but not intrusive. Prices appropriate for fine dining, but not SF-levelSpecial Features:
- Not as good as usualmaggiefiDined on 11/2/2014The place was packed and overwhelmed. Service was slow; food took a LONG time to arrive. Disappointed, but know they usually do a better job.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Served cold, not once but twicemy2lincolnsDined on 11/2/2014After hearing they did brunch we thought we would give it a try. Sadly it fell flat on a few points, the most important being cold food. My hash came luke warm at best, his waffle cold. We sent them back and 10 minutes later they were better but still not hot. The waffle was good, the hash just okay, the drinks price but small.
- VersatilityFoodieDined on 11/1/2014I was pleased at various atributes that Flora has. It can be both a romantic dinner in the restaurnt and a vibrant scene in the bar area behind the restaurant. The food was very tasty, although the menu was very limited.Special Features:
- Disappointing performancetanukiDined on 11/1/2014We arrived at 5:28 for a 5:30 reservation and the hostess, rather frostily, said we were welcome to wait at the (crowded) bar even though the wait staff was all standing by. This put a damper on our enjoyment of the meal and was completely uncalled for. The food was okay, but not up to the usual standard. The squash bisque was good, but our entrees only so-so. My husband said the roast chicken w/mushrooms was okay; my pork shoulder confit was *very* fatty and cold. So cold, I thought it was intentional so I didn't say anything until the end. Waitress (Page) was apologetic and gave us two mini-caramel puddings to help make it right. That certainly helped, but we were very disappointed. Probably have to find a new place in Oakland.
- Way Expensive3DmanDined on 10/28/2014The place was busy. The adjacent "Fauna" bar, open to restaurant, was crowed with World Series fans: the restaurant was full with older set dining before Dylan at the Paramount. Too loud to have comfortable conversation, very annoying. We 4 shared 3 appetizers; shrimp cocktail, tempura fried rabbit legs, and pomegranate/persimmon salad. The shrimp cocktail was exactly that. The salad was weird, the fried rabbit greasy and tough. Disappointed, my wife and I went simple with the Burger with Fries. Our friends both had Black Cod. All had drinks. The burger was unexceptional. The fish was good but small portions. Even with a 6:15 reservation, we were late to the 8 o'clock Dylan show. $200 later pre-tip: sorely disappointed.Special Features:
- Disapointing & limited brunch menuOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 10/26/2014Unfortunately, very few options and most very basic. Got there close to 2pm, but they had already run out of multiple options.
- Flora don't adora you no moraHillforkVIPDined on 10/26/2014Our recent brunch experience at Flora left much to be desired. Dinners there have typically been wonderful. Brunch was a wholly different, very sad story. We were seated promptly and greeted by a waitress who was friendly but clueless about the menu. My wife and I found reading was helpful when it comes to the menu, and thus our odyssey began. It’s not easy to “cut to the chase” with this saga, since the chicken in the fried chicken and waffles was very gristly and fatty, not amenable to the fork and knife we were provided. I imagined my chicken & waffles to have a nice piece of white breast meat, fried in a typical Southern style. The chef must have had a different idea about Southern Fried. This order went back to the kitchen. See yelp!
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/25/2014this place is only ok. certainly not worth the prices
- We go back time and time again....diningoutDined on 10/25/2014What is not to love about this restaurant. The menu is diverse, the drinks are great and the food is wonderful. No matter where you sit, at the bar or at a table, you will enjoy your experience. We have been going here for over two years and it keeps us coming back.Special Features:
- Sorry to sayJustthebestDined on 10/22/2014Though the dinner was spectacular and the cocktail and wine superb, our server and her "mover" were not up to par. Repeatedly had to stop them to inquire re more water or beverage, food slow to come out, and the final major disappoinent was my perfect ribeye steak, which I had only nibbled on, was not returned to the table boxed - very disappointing but too late to drive all the way back ...Special Features:
- Very disappointingMarilynVIPDined on 10/18/2014Last Saturday was our second visit. Our first visit had been very satisfactory and we were looking forward to returning. Our reservation was for 7:45. Our table wasn't ready so we were asked to wait in the Fauna bar. We walked right by the table we were later seated at. There was no reason to not be seated except to have us purchase drinks in the bar. Our waitress ( run if you get one with a blonde ponytail) was curt, unfriendly, didn"t bring any of our courses, or check in with us until she delivered the check. Food was tasty but the portions were so minuscule we left hungry. Best bet if you go, order the burger and caramel pudding. That was my order on our first visit and I was happy then.Special Features:
- Flora and Fauna--A HitBearyCMVIPDined on 10/18/2014Had a pre-concert dinner at Flora and drinks from the attached bar named, Fauna. Scallops were very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Abysmal serviceLennyDined on 10/17/2014Though the welcome was warm the service was extremely poor. Our party of four was quickly seated and then we languished. Our waitress took ten minutes to stop by the table to take our drink order and then another 15 to deliver them. They were easy drinks, too. Scotch, straight up and Lillet on the rocks with a twist. We told them we had a show around the corner at 9:30 pm and still they brought out our entrees at 9:10 pm. We had to wolf them down and ask for receipt when plates were brought to the table. They are stort-staffed. Our dinner reservation was at 7:45 pm.
- Great Food - Bad ServiceFoodie3VIPDined on 10/17/2014Food was delicious. Server gave us the "hand" while asking for bread but then listened to us when it was convenient for her. We asked for butter 3 times and it never came. We ordered side dishes and they never came. We informed the server. She said "Sorry" and walked away. I found the manager and told him the story. He did apologize, comped 3 appetizers and gave us a $50 gift card. The server did apologize but it was obvious she was forced to apologize and seemed annoyed she had to be bothered by us. I love eating out and it takes a lot to make me angry but I doubt I will go back. Just bad experience. Unfortuate because the food was excellent. And this was the 6th or 7th time I have been there.Special Features:
- Sophisticated setting, great foodinternettieVIPDined on 10/16/2014Loved the look of the restaurant. Very modern city, repurposed space. Coming from New Mexico, we knew we were in the big city when we entered Flora. Food excellent, cocktails delicious, too. Wonderful friendly service. We shared a beet salad and the bouillabaisse. Perfect amount of food for a late night dinner. Wish we lived in the Bay Area and could go to Flora every month!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good fun & drinks, terrible serviceeastbayfoodieDined on 10/14/2014I've been to Flora many times, and was so disappointed with the service on our last visit. The cocktails are fantastic as always. Food was very good (especially the pork dish). But the service was terrible. We waited 15 minutes after being seated...no server came by. I asked a server walking by if she could help us. Yes, she was our service. She takes our drink & dinner order, and we never see her again. Combination of bus staff and host bring drinks and food. Server NEVER checks in to see if we need more drinks or anything else. So disappointing.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 10/14/2014The food was delicious, but the service was less than satisfactory. Our waitress forgot our appetizer until we reminded her (after waiting 10 minutes) and then after we had eaten she brought us silverware and told us our food was almost ready. It was crowded, but we would have appreciated more attention from our waitress.
- Delicious food, Great place to sitShirleyTDined on 10/11/2014Beautiful dining room, terrific service and really delicious food and wine. Top notch experience. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- Delicious birthday dinner!epk88Dined on 10/8/2014We came to Flora for the first time for my husband's birthday dinner. It is a great special occasion restaurant. They have a lovely cocktail menu, extensive wine list, and a unique menu. The standout was the confit of pork shoulder with cabbage, spaghetti squash, apples, and a pomegranate salsa verde. The pork just melted in your mouth and the flavors melded together beautifully. The one downside is that the restaurant is very crowded, with tables extremely close together; however, the food is worth is and the service is great, and the ambient noise level is enough that it's not too awkward to be sitting that close to your fellow diners. If you're near the window, you get a cool view of the Fox Theater.Special Features:
- Never disappointstanukiDined on 10/8/2014The fairly short (for the Bay Area) menu ensures your food is fresh and prepared well. The selections change regularly and provide a selection to suit every taste. This is also one of those restaurants where you are charged for every side (potatoes, vegetables, etc.): I think that's a bit too precious for a local restaurant by Flora. Service is good, but when they are busy it can be hard to get your servers attention. I started with the ricotta gnocchi - excellent flavor but could have been warmer. My main course was the bouillabaisse - very good combination of seafood in a tasty broth. Not as large as at some restaurants but a very nice portion and quite filling: no room for dessert - a bit of a shame as the dessert menu looks tasty.Special Features:
- What a snobby place!ElleVIPDined on 10/4/2014We did not have a good experience here. It was a snobby place and the waitress was rude. We were the only people under 40 in the restaurant - and they made sure we did not feel welcome. The food was good but portions were very small. Definitely would not return.
- finefoodfirstVIPDined on 10/3/2014Based on indifferent attitude by the wait staff (and not the busers, they were kind) I won't be going back.
- Service needs improvementElla81Dined on 9/27/2014I've been to Flora several times, but this last time we went for dinner I was very disappointed with the service. Our waitress paid very little attention to our table, with our drink glasses standing empty, lack of bread, forgotten orders, etc. Making matters worse, our waitress was often chatting with the host/hostess or other waiters and waitresses, instead of attending to tables. The food was good, but the menu could use some work. The appetizer portions were off (burrata came with way too much cheese, no bread, and very little tomatoes). I ordered steak, thinking it would be paired with decent side-dishes, but instead it came almost bare with a small amount of spinach on top.Special Features:
- Totally DeliciousfirebettyDined on 9/27/2014I went with my two friends for my birthday. First I have to say, love the decor. Make a reservation for dinner on a weekend, and I would recommend it on a weekday as well. It was packed. I now know why. The food and the wine were fantastic. We started with simple things: the shrimp cocktail, and the crab bisque. Awesome. My friend and I split the ribeye steak, and our other friend had the salmon. Both dishes tasted delicious. they weren't fussy, or overly sauced up. They locally source, and have a seasonal menu, which is fantastic. The service was also really friendly, and timely. The wine list is small, but the glass I had was pretty great. They even brought me a free baby salted caramel dessert for my birthday which was amazing!Special Features:
- REDwoodShoresREDwoodShoresVIPDined on 9/26/2014An excellent pre and post concert gym. The menu is always interesting as is the wine list. Really like the wait staff: knowledgeable, friendly and attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- tasty but small portionsdinner2showDined on 9/26/2014I only got one tablespoon of cous cous with my salmon and a very small portion of potatoes with my husband's chicken plate. The food was excellent, but I'm not on a diet. I had to fill up on bread.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food has taken a dive.BayCVIPDined on 9/25/2014We have enjoyed Flora multiple times, especially before a show at the Fox. With so many restaurant choices in the area it had been over a year since we had returned. Once again before a Fox event we looked forward to dining at Flora. The food was shockingly bad. Every dish we ordered was bland unappealing and arrived lukewarm or cold. We actually failed to finish any of the four dishes ordered. We skipped desert. Still a great place to have a drink at the bar, but skip the food and head down the street.
- always excellentOlivierDined on 9/22/2014Just back from a trip and on the way in from the airport decided to stop at one of our favorites- and it did not disappoint, once again.Special Features:
- Great Place!hrwomanDined on 9/21/2014Food portions were generous and delicious! Try the chicken and waffles, you won't be disappointed! Service was outstanding!Special Features:
- onegreatexperienceDined on 9/20/2014Flora extended our reservation by phone from 3 to 6 very graciously. We had to arrive only 15 minutes earlier than reserved. They had Happy Birthday on the menu for my daughter! The food was fantastic as was the service. I tipped our wait staff double and have never done this before. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not good enough for the priceOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 9/19/2014The cocktails were excellent - very creative and yummy. The food however, was really lacking in both texture and flavor. One of us had the osso bucco and found it dry. I had the bouillabaisse and found it very uninteresting. It really needed more work on the sauce. Coupled with a rather high price tag, the value we got from this restaurant really did not meet the high expectations we have from Bay Area restaurants. It's a pity, as the location is great (right by the Fox and Paramount theaters), and the restaurant itself is a lovely Art Deco decor.