138 Calistoga Road
Santa Rosa, CA 95409Neighborhood:
SteakPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.flipsidesteakhouse.com/
- Phone: (707) 539-7700
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch 7 days a week 11am-3pm
Sunday-Thursday 5:00pm - 9:30pm
11am-Close (Kitchen open an hour after dinner)
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, American
- Executive Chef: Chef Patrick Tafoya
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from FlipSide Steakhouse
Flipside Steakhouse & Sports Bar, two concepts under one roof. Whether you are looking to check out your favorite team game while enjoying some great local craft beer, play a few games of pool, grab a cocktail or take the family out for dinner, Flipside Steakhouse & Sports Bar offers it all. Innovation, quality, fun, and great food with both the ease of being with friends and the comforts of home. Join us for lunch or dinner 7 days a week, open for most holidays, and brunch offered from 10am-3pm on weekends. Hosting a party or event? View our private dining room, available for any event and seats up to 70 guests.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerKid Friendly
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
FlipSide Steakhouse - Best Restaurants in Santa Rosa ›
FlipSide Steakhouse reviews from OpenTable diners
28 reviews since July 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (13)neighborhood gem (13)romantic (9)fit for foodies (8)good for groups (8)kid-friendly (7)vibrant bar scene (7)hot spot (5)notable wine list (4)great for brunch (3)late-night find (2)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Bad servicesOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/6/2014Bad place to eat. Waitress take. Care. More. For big tables. In stay. 2 people I never come back. To this. Restaurant
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/1/2014We were a party of 6 that evening. Not as noisy as the bar side, which was nice. My fish-n-chips were good, but I would have preferred fresh, thin-cut fries rather than crinkle-cut fries I find in the frozen food section at the grocery store. Another person in our party had steak au poivre. Unfortunately, for the price, it comes a la carte. An accompanying small portion of grilled veggies and a starch would make that dish feel more complete. Our server was very pleasant. He was attentive without feeling too intrusive. In spite of some of the short comings, I would go back again. I think Flipside has real potential.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Flipside St. FrancisOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/31/2014About 3 months ago I took several family members to Flipside and had a very pleasant experience. Food was very good, as was the service. About 2 months ago we returned and took friends. Our steaks were ALL over cooked and the service has absolutely horrible. The male server was rude and somewhat obnoxious. Since we had one pleasant experience and one unpleasant experience we decided to try it again, this time with just my family. The service was terrible, several times we felt they forgot us. Twice we asked for something which never arrived. The food was "cheap", the french fries less quality than ones we buy frozen at Safeway. We have NO intention of returning, and have NO intention of recommending them.
- Another great experienceMaxwellVIPDined on 10/31/2014We brought friends from North Carolina to celebrate 65th birthdays and had a wonderful time. Once inside you forget Flipside is located in a strip mall anchored by a grocery store; the ambiance is classic steakhouse elegance. They've revamped their menu since our last visit, but the favorites are still available and nobody does prime rib better than Flipside. They also pay attention to detail and made our celebration memorable; good job, Flipside...we'll be back!Special Features:
- GOing DownhillyolevenDined on 10/30/2014This is the 4th time I have been here, and this was by far the worst experience. Service was slow at best and not very well trained. Prime rib special was of poor quality and was served cold. Wedge salad was drowned in dressing. Cheesecake dessert was still frozen! This is too bad as they started out fine but have begun to cut corners.Special Features:
- Jim MitchJMitchDined on 10/12/2014Jerry the GM was outstanding, we were in town for our 25th wedding anniversary and we couldn't bear to miss our beloved Cleveland Browns on Sunday at 10 a.m., we're not used to that time on the east coast, Jerry made us feel super comfortable and the food, service, crowd was great for our event, couldn't have gone better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great steaks and prime ribMelindaDined on 10/5/2014The best steaks and Prime Rib in Sonoma County. This place is a real gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very goodSymphxVIPDined on 10/4/20143rd time. Very good. Service great staff friendly it's quite high end for a small town in a local shopping center. I've eaten steak in the top places in the world. I will say prices have risen sharply. And really loved their wine sauce and peppercorn sauce no longer offered. Steak is a bit dry. Maybe dry aged? Cooked perfectly but no flowing juice. Maybe finish with a pat of butter? Bring back the sauces! Highly recommendSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sports bar in disguiseLucyVIPDined on 9/28/2014I was very surprised that this was a sports bar and not what was depicted on Open Table site. If you like walls of huge TVs broadcasting every football game, this is your place. Not your quaint brunch in wine country.
- SOS....'Save Our Steakhouse'!!Jeezelouise1VIPDined on 9/27/2014We have been dining here since they opened. This visit was the most disappointing experience and unfortunately will put this establishment at our lowest choice to eat in the future. My dining partner ordered lobster and it was so spicy hot he could not finish eating it. The waitress reported this to the kitchen and came back with apologies and said they had seasoned it with cayenne pepper instead of paprika. No offer to replace it or remove it from the check. Inexcusable, unprofessional and with this we'll go to their German competitor a few hundred feet away where the food and staff are rock solid. Sorry Flipside but we are so Flippin shocked and greatly disappointed at the lack of customer service.
- It's the little things that countJerryDined on 9/25/2014The food is OK, the service is OK but lacking character. They allow substituions for the potato but the person serving the meal was not the order taker and did not know who got what. Only the prime rib includes salad and the server asked if the person with the lobster tail would like vegies when we got our salad, but her vegies didn't come until her entree even after we reminded the server. The menu is cluttered and confusing and the beverage list is on a large sheet left on the table that got in the way of everything else. The Prime rib was not as good as when I was there before.Special Features:
- Flipside SteakhouseSBreviewDined on 9/15/2014The service at Flipside is excellent. The complimentary popovers are fabulous. The prime rib was very fatty. The price for the filet mignon was very steep and did not match the quality. The baked potato was delicious. The side dishes are quite good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Steaks and Prime Rib.MelindaDined on 9/12/2014Love, love, love this place. Flipside Steakhouse has delicious Prime Rib and steaks. Reasonably priced, great service. Best place in Santa Rosa for a steak.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SteveRalfDined on 9/11/2014Food quality and service receive highest marks. However, the overall dining experience was poor due to a very large and noisy private party at the back of the dining room. I will not return to this restaurant unless I can be assured that there will be no private parties when I am present. Those taking reservation should notify prospective diners of private parties.Special Features:
- Great Dinner again!JerryVIPDined on 8/24/2014We ordered Prime Rib and its the best in the city! Filet was tender and cooked perfect. Crab cakes and Padrone peppers were excellent. We had a Bottle of Faust Cabernet for $60 what a value!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Try the prime rib!yolevenDined on 8/23/2014This is a steakhouse but the best deal going is their prime rib. For $22.95 you get an excellent and filling piece of meat with a cesar salad and warm popovers. Coupled with a selection from their wine list this is a good deal!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HAD1VIPDined on 8/23/2014Great food and wine at reasonable prices. Prime Rib is wonderful, and the steaks to die for. Great fin!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WENDYVIPDined on 8/14/2014Excellent steaks and atmosphere. Great desserts too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A wondrful restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 7/29/2014We love the Flipside! We ate on the fine dining side. Love the Prime rib, Popovers, good wine selection and great atmosphere. This restaurant is a true asset to the community. Very few restaurants and this one has an excellent selection. We have eaten on the bar side and they will serve the fine dining menu on the bar side. Great restaurant!Special Features:
- Dry, flavorless prime ribbbbbbDined on 7/28/2014pleasant service but our prime rib was flavorless, dry and chewy - definitely won't recommend Flipside to othersSpecial Features:
- The following 89 reviews are from the FlipSide Steakhouse reviews archive.
- Lots of IssuesOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 7/19/2014Problems from the beginning. Confusion over seating: even with res others were seated ahead of us. Lots of issues due to inexperienced staff: took 2 attempts to find bottle of wine, waitress needed help opening bottle of wine,got order wrong-was served wrong cut of prime rib, meat was served rare-ordered med well. Check was wrong. Staff was young, energetic and tried hard, but completely inexperienced, Food was so-so. Would not go back
- Nice findflyingfoodVIPDined on 7/18/2014We were looking for a nice place to relax and have a good meal at a reasonable rate. This was a great choice. Great service. Food was good, well seasoned and hot when served. Great options for bar and wine list. The nutella shake for desert was awesome! Will go back if I'm in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious SteakhouseLuv2eatDined on 7/12/2014Everything was very delicious. From having a great drink suggested from our waiter Miles to having a delicious dinner. My husband ordered the prime rib and it was cooked perfectly. I ordered the hamburger and I loved that it was on sliced sourdough bread, I enjoyed the flavors of the hamburger more than just being stuffed with bread. We couldn't leave with out trying a dessert. We got the chocolate chip bread pudding and it was just perfect. Overall great place for dinner either with friends or romantic. Our waiter Miles was also very attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great vibe. Food expensive!Pitts707VIPDined on 7/5/2014We really loved the sports bar atmosphere. Food not as good as competition at same price point. I think they should lower their prices or expect people to buy lesser priced menu items because the place is great, just not the greatest food for value.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Romanticreg549Dined on 7/5/2014Dimly lit dining room, cozy tables, & fantastic staff. All of you should take a night off & Stop on by....able to make reservations online!Special Features:
- Meat lovers' paradiseMaxwellVIPDined on 7/5/2014Wow! We both had Flipside's prime rib special which was done to perfection and wonderfully tender. I really appreciated that the additional bleu cheese I requested was served on the side and slightly heated. This allowed some of the butter to melt out of the cheese; it made for great dipping if you're a bleu cheese fan like me. Service was professional and attentive...just right! We've had many of the wines on Flipside's wine list which is spectacular. The fact that Flipside (like some other very "smart" restaurants) waives the corkage fee on the first bottle of Sonoma County wines is very much appreciated since we like to bring a bottle from our cellar to dinner -- that way we know what menu items will complement it and vice versa.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OVERPRICED & BUSHLEAGUEALITTLEFUSSY1Dined on 7/4/2014We were there twice before and liked it. But on 7/4/14, that all changed. Their prices were hiked substantially. Their steak offering was a 16 oz NY steak for $38. Not a porterhouse or riibeye, merely a NY steak (4th down in steak ranking). Their 8 0z filet mignon was $30. Their salt and pepper rub was overdone and ruined the New York cut. The filet was merely OK. Half dozen asparagus for $8. Fine dining prices with sports bar ambiance and kids for servers. Cattlemen's is much better at 3/5 the price. We won't be back.
- Inexperienced ServerEricVIPDined on 7/1/2014Overall the food and service were fine, friendly and timely BUT the server was sooooo un-knowledgeable as to ruin the evening. Servers need to be trained properly before being let loose on the paying public; ours was friendly but clueless, ill-informed and downright misleading, bordering on incompetent. Maybe we'll try again...
- Excellent steakhouseWickedDined on 6/29/2014Flipside is a great addition to the Santa Rosa restaurant scene. Good food, good service, reasonable prices - what's not to like? They serve excellent steaks without the arrogance of many of the "upscale" steakhouses on the other side of town. Excellent wine list, the sides are delicious, and they were very flexible in making substitutions. This is not a super cheap place to eat but the value for the money is excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lovesteakVIPDined on 6/28/2014I've been here three times now. Really excellent food. The second time, my french fries were really oversalted, but the kitchen immediately sent out a fresh basket when I complained. I plan to return ASAP and to recommend the restaurant to others.Special Features:
- Best Steakhouse in Santa Rosa!JerryVIPDined on 6/28/2014Miles was our server he is Great. Had Ribeye and Prime rib. YSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Getting even betterMichaelWDined on 6/21/2014This was our 5th visit since it opened and was not as crowded this Saturday night as previous visits. There have been some menu changes but the food was very good, as usual. The service was friendly and attentive.Special Features:
- Prime rib fabulousHeatherHGDined on 6/20/2014I love their prime rib dinner and enjoy it with a nice glass of Pinot noir. Service is very personable and attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sorry I wentSonomaLocalDined on 6/12/2014SF burger was flavorless, and served on a tin plate. Butcher paper table cloth. Dim light, hard to read the menu. Music too wild for the dim room.
- food is good service is marginalyolevenDined on 6/11/2014wireless connection to kitchen causes more trouble than its worth.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 6/8/2014We made a reservation, yet when we walked in, we were told to sit anywhere. Whew we're directed to the bar where the only tables available we're high tables; not what we expected for brunch/lunch. As we tried to select a table we noted the door at the front of the bar was open and a number of flies were present. We decided to walk before the server arrived. We avoided the flies & walked out through the main entrance. No one was at the front desk to speak to regarding our disappointment. We noted a white tablecloth restaurant in the back, we were not offered seating there
- Prices raisedOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 6/7/2014They have raised the prices on their steaks $5, & the prices on side vegetables from $4 to $6. The wait staff is still a bit green, removing plates, utensils from the table when some in your party are still eating. Even though it is salmon season, they are still serving only farm raised salmon. It's time for the hollow popovers to be replaced by some good bread. The Sonoma salad did not contain all of the ingredients listed on the menu.Special Features:
- Can't wait for Rohnert Park!KimmersDined on 6/7/2014They go out if there way to make you feel welcome! We had a waitress named Lauren... She was far above excellent! We will request her in the future...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- B-Day DinnerEatingABunchVIPDined on 6/6/2014Been here before and it was great as usual. Not super expensive, but food you would expect to get at an expensive restaurant. The service was phenomenal. It's loud, so if you don't want to be in a loud space, don't go, but the menu was superb, had Caesar, Prime Rib, Lobster, Baked Potato & Mushrooms (yes I went all out). It was all fantastic. Love the Burger Joint, enjoy the Steakhouse, looking forward to the Brewery opening up. The Flipside Brand is something all of my friends and co-workers are talking about, so that must be good for business and by the sight of things this last Friday night, it is.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Every Week Dinner!JerryVIPDined on 6/5/2014Started with the Crab cakes and paadron peppers, then a wedge and tomatoes mozz salads all were outstanding. Then we hade a Ribeye and a Filet. it was nice to see they added a 12oz size filet choice. Rosie was awesome!Special Features: