162 Ave A
New York, NY 10009Neighborhood:
Modern AustralianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.flinderslane-nyc.com/
- Phone: 2122286900x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Sunday: 5:00pm - Late
Sat & Sun 11am - 3pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Modern Australian
- Executive Chef: Chris Rendell
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Personal wines welcome, Smoking Area, Weekend Brunch, Wine
A word from Flinders Lane
Sometimes cultures collide in the most delicious way. Take Australia, where the food of British settlers has mixed with that of Greek and Italian immigrants and the cuisines of nearby Southeast Asia. Add to that the wide array of fresh seafood available on this island continent and a climate that yields all kinds of fruits and vegetables, all year long. And then there's the Australian attitude: No fussing, no over thinking, just bold, streamlined food made with the best ingredients available and a laser focus on flavor. Down Under, they have a name for this unlikely culinary equation: They call it Modern Australian cooking.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Flinders Lane reviews from OpenTable diners
56 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (41)neighborhood gem (40)romantic (17)notable wine list (13)hot spot (12)late-night find (11)great for brunch (9)special occasion (9)good for groups (6)vibrant bar scene (5)great for lunch (3)great for outdoor dining (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Loved Flinders LaneFoodDined on 9/10/2014I'm so glad my family and I experienced this great restaurant. Good food, service and ambience exceptional. I will tell everyone back home in Oz to go their. So glad Aussies are teaching Americans all about great food, wine and service. Keep up the great work guys and all the best. Thank you, thank you, thank you 😃Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely Fabulous !RonnieVIPDined on 9/6/2014The food is wonderful, the service is sensational and it is a place I keep coming back too. Thoroughly enjoyable time.Special Features:
- Delicious!OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 9/5/2014The dishes are inventive and delicious. DO try the kangaroo - it was amazing. The lamb dish was one of the best we've had. The service was great too!Special Features:
- Lovely experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 9/5/2014Food was fantastic. Very friendly place with Asian inspired Australian cuisine. Will definitely be back to try the kangaroo.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A delicious dinner!AbFavFoodieDined on 9/4/2014As a Sydneysider who lives in london I was so happy have this restaurant recommended to me from a local foodie! The menu ticked all the boxes of an Australian dining experience, super healthy, inventive and delicious! The vibe was really cool, great for a date or a group and the staff knew their stuff. My French beau even gave the wine a big tick, despite opting for a local beer. Will be sure to come back on my next trip to NYC!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Servicing the customerls3089Dined on 8/24/2014Top of my list for restaurants to go - with a whole lot of eating intolerances they made it easy and without making me feel difficult. Both the chef & waiter was educated in the intolerance which made it easier to choose a meal and enjoy it! For this reason I would keep coming back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gorgeous spot for mod Oz in NYCJulesDined on 8/20/2014Love Flinders Lane - amazing sausage rolls that taste just like home, delicious laksa, super friendly service and fantastic drinks. Can't wait to come back.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/9/2014so good to have fresh Aussie asian/meditteranean style food after weeks eating highly sugared and salted Amercian food.Special Features:
- 👍👌EVDinerVIPDined on 8/7/2014Always great. Always enjoyable. Warm staff, tasty food, serviceable wine list. Never had a disappointing experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Aussie based theme.robboDined on 8/2/2014Yum. At what ever was different. Rabbit was nice for a Starter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Fast trip to the Antipodeswriter100VIPDined on 7/9/2014Despite the noise--if they played music you couldn't here it--this is an unusual restaurant and well worth your attentiion. Had my first James Boag lager from Tasmania. Also my second and third. Cheerful and very helpful staff who know the menu, which (thankfully) odesn;t refer to throwing shrimp on the barbie. (Though they do have a really good shrimp dish.) I had the rabbit, which I highly recommend.And start with the Aussie version of a bacon buttie. And don't forget the Jame Boag.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Date SpotMarkusDDined on 6/29/2014Went here for drinks and appetizers. Swanky little spot with great ambiance. Recommend the Squid, Scallops, and Duck.Special Features:
- Very nicejbg1Dined on 6/28/2014This was a great evening. The portion size is a learning experience however so just plan on a first go round followed by a second or third. We skipped desert for the chopped chicken with lettuce for wrapping and another round of the tofu dish. Service was grand, and the drinks were pretty special. A nice evening all aroundI would recommend this to a friend.
- Service & Food Excellent.WinoRMeVIPDined on 6/28/2014Creative, very fresh and tasty menu scored big with the 6 course tasting -- well worth going that route. Servive was personable and serperlative!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unexpected Outstanding FooddvdjqtVIPDined on 6/26/2014I had heard great reviews about Flinders Lane, and well, not only was the food outstanding, but it totally exceeded my expectations. The combination of ingredients can be considered quite bold, but they blend beautifully and create an explosion of delicious flavors. I cannot wait to go back to try the dishes I haven't had a chance to taste.Special Features:
- Aussie rules!sue2bVIPDined on 6/26/2014Great neighborhood restaurant with cool vibe & great food. Menu is eclectic & different. Specialty cocktails were really really good & fun. The bartender & waiters were warm & welcoming. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Aussie-Asian style in NYCOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/23/2014delicious food that I love to eat in Sydney when home on holiday. now avail in NYC. fab!Special Features:
- Great food and friendly serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 6/22/2014We had the chef's sampler, which ended up being the best decision as we got to try a whole bunch of things from the menu - all were delicious, but my favourites were the diver scallops and lamb. The service was friendly and attentive. I want to come back for brunch as I am sure it's equally as good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, but...elbeemDined on 6/18/2014The food was great and the service enthusiastic, but the noise was impossible in this small restaurant with music and overly loud customers. Maybe go really early--we got there at 7 and by 7:30 it was impossible to hear. Too bad.Special Features:
- Flinders Lane FlavorsBJJ100Dined on 6/16/2014The flavors are what stands out at Flinders Lane, whether it's the shrimp with namprik, the sausage rolls or the ice cream. They are all winners.Special Features:
- foodpotsDined on 6/14/2014okay food hectic pace noisy as can be but helpful staff not for real diningSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/12/2014Hi, very nice and laid back, quite noisy but excellent staff. Soft shell crab v spicey need to advise dinersSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner w/ Friends, Including AussieaawattersDined on 6/7/2014The cocktail list is fun & delicious. My friend had the carrot margarita, which has a stronger margarita flavor than carrot. I had the macadamia sazerac. Both delicious. While my boyfriend is still looking for Australia's Crown Lager all over NYC, he enjoyed the Bode's beer. For appetizers we had the oysters. At many restaurants, when there are several types of oysters, you can order a mixed order sampling several different kinds. Flinders Lane wouldn't let us do that. Nonetheless, the oysters were good. They did come with the sauce already on top. For main, I had the rabbit, which was so tender! It had an awesome Indian preparation. Aussie had the lamb, which was tender and superb.Special Features:
- Cocktails, Food, but so much more.MrSundayJohnsonVIPDined on 6/6/2014Always Hopping. And for good reason. You'll find no better on A from Houston to 14th. Of course, the food first. Worked my way through the whole menu, both dinner & brunch. Always satisfied, often delighted, with what the kitchen turns out. Sometimes amazed. Bravo. The barkeeps are your chefs, too, but with spirits. Pick one of their cocktails — order the Splice for something refreshing, it's not on their usual list — and let them surprise you with how wonderful a carefully made drink can be. And the place, my favorite is to sit at the bar, or one of the tables by the window. But the high-tops in the more private part of the restaurant are great for, well, you know, getting lost while you're in the middle of everything.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just fantastic!luv2dineDined on 6/5/2014Terrific, interesting, and unique (but not weirdly so) cuisine. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Aussie in NYCWNYDined on 5/28/2014Flinders Lane is a great find, the staff are excellent and really provide outstanding service. The menu is well put together definitely a very Aussie vibe. Love it and will be back for more!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 15 reviews are from the Flinders Lane reviews archive.
- Impeccable Service!ahimelsVIPDined on 5/24/2014I originally booked my reservation for four guests, and progressively, throughout the day, changed it from 5, to 6, to 7. Flinder's Lane was completely accommodating and never made it seem like a hassle. I would absolutely recommend this restaurant for its service, reasonable prices and fantastic food!Special Features:
- Flinders LaneLion26KingVIPDined on 5/22/2014Go on a Thursday, packed on weekends. For full write-up go to www.celluloidclub.blogspot.com.Special Features:
- Doing Australia proudOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/15/2014Fantastic food and friendly staff who might have a slight bias towards fellow Aussies, felt like we were family by the end of the night! :)Special Features:
- MehaggieDined on 5/15/2014Ubiquitous "rustic industrial" decor, noisy. Window bench seats were a bit cramped and the wood creaked each time someone shifted his weight. Had two servers; one was friendly and explained the specials on the blackboard, the other barely talked to us or made eye contact at all. The much touted smoked carrot margarita didn't taste like much of anything except alcohol, which was fine, because we were there to get a buzz on. The sausage appetizer was what wedding hors d'oeuvres must taste like in heaven; the oysters kilpatrick was blobs of spicy pork-strewn barbecue sauce over poor tender oysters. The grilled fish and meat entrees were fine, but almost completely ungarnished. For the price, you could do better in this neighborhood.Special Features:
- AmazingSheminiDined on 5/2/2014Exceptional cuisine in a hip and vibrant setting. We loved everything including the scallops, squid, seaweed salad and the steamed snapper. To create such elegant dishes that were essentially gluten/dairy free is truly inspiring. Notable drink menu as well. Very thoughtful and well executed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent foodRichVIPDined on 5/2/2014The portions are quite small and the cocktails, bland. But we still had an excellent meal. The food was modern, creative, fresh, and delicious. After two different cocktails tasted like water, we switched to wine, which was better. The space is modern yet quite cozy and warm. The service was great. Recommended.Special Features:
- Australian? but worth a visitnil0Dined on 5/2/2014We went with friends from Melbourne. There was only one Aussie main course, but the food was excellent. Maybe that's because Australian cuisine is not as good as this restaurant is.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great wine list, happy staffAlexHDined on 4/28/2014Definitely a fan of this spot - the wines were outstanding. Had difficulty deciding between the enticing dishes, but wound up with several standout selections.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 4/26/2014Fantastic small tapas-style dishes, lovely and warm wait staff. Only downside is they need a carpet. It is a small, and intimately designed space but quite loud. Other than that, the produce was fresh and the flavors - some with an Asian-inspired taste, some ecclectic, some Australian - were excellent. We didn't have a bad bite.
- Pleasant Surprise/Impecable Servicevietle1982Dined on 4/6/2014I accidentally changed my reservation to a different time different day. Apologetic and ready to come back another night, the host was super friendly and insisted we wait a few minutes even when it was obviously a busy night. He was very accommodating and was able to squeeze us in! Food was great. Drinks were great. Patrons were great. Service was perfect. I'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food -- very loudMrSundayJohnsonVIPDined on 4/4/2014The food was wonderful as were the drinks and the service. But the noise level was such that my dining companion & I had to shout at each other.Special Features:
- Melbourne on the Lower East SideAHardCrowdDined on 4/2/2014Visit Flinders Lane if you have a yearning for innovative cuisine with an Australia flavour. Decor is chic and understated - polished concrete floors and walls , sleek natural timber tables, muted lighting (so everyone looks good) and creative cocktails. I had the seasonal daiquiri which was fragrant and like nothing tried before (in a GOOD way!) The two other cocktails at the table were also well received. Get the Diver Caught Scallops & the Sausage Rolls - both top notch. I also have it on good authority that the Laksa is fab - so will be heading back to try it. All in all a great night - thanks Allan for providing just the right amount of attentive without the sycophantic overtones one sometimes endures in this country. SO refreshing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- aussie hospitality and charmCarlkalDined on 3/29/2014The Australian team have got things just right from the cocktails to the food and mood. Try the Splice cocktail, the homemade sausage roll and the snapper for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dining experienceWetherbeeDined on 3/28/2014I dined at Flinder's Lane on Friday night with my wife and another couple. We started off with a cocktail (Macadamia Sazerac) and a glass of wine at the bar. Was pleased to see one of the old bar veterans of Saxon + Parole was behind the stick. The cocktail was amazing..well balanced and perfect! We proceeded with dinner at one of the high top tables, which was nice and comfortable. I always prefer to eat at the bar, so this provided the best of both worlds. All of the dishes were really strong..especially the Hamachi appetizer, Scallop dish and Crispy Tofu. Service was spot on and the experience was incredibly enjoyable. Keep an eye our for this restaurant... they're certain to make some noise in the food & beverage scene!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.