Flex Mussels - 82nd Street
174 East 82nd Street
New York, NY 10028Neighborhood:
Upper East Side
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Flex Mussels - 82nd Street
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.flexmusselsny.com/
- Phone: (212) 717-7772
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday 5:00pm-10:00pm, Tues - Thurs 5:30pm - 11:00pm, Friday - Saturday 5:00pm-11:30pm Sunday 5:00-10:00
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Canadian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Takeout, Wine, Wine Bar
- Special Events: Please join us for $20 all you can eat mussels, fries, and one draft beer from 5:30-7PM every night at the bar and counter only. Choice of Fra Diavolo, Dijon or Classic.
A word from Flex Mussels - 82nd Street
Direct importers of mussels from Prince Edward Island and oysters that taste like you're kissing the sea.Continued
Happy Hour specials 7 nights a week at the bar and counter only. No sharing.
5:00PM-7PM Saturday and Sunday
Happy Hour specials 7 nights a week at the bar and counter only. No sharing.
5:00PM-7PM Saturday and Sunday
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
Flex Mussels - 82nd Street - Best Restaurants in Upper East Side ›
Flex Mussels - 82nd Street reviews from OpenTable diners
222 reviews since July 24, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (139)neighborhood gem (126)hot spot (60)good for groups (46)romantic (38)special occasion (37)vibrant bar scene (29)great for lunch (17)kid-friendly (10)late-night find (8)great for brunch (7)great for outdoor dining (7)notable wine list (7)scenic view (1)Show More
- Yum!OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 11/15/2014Another wonderful meal at Flex Mussels. I loved the Portuguese and San Daniele. The donuts were great but I thought they were a little dry. Otherwise it was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Used to be awesomeAwesomenessVIPDined on 11/15/2014I haven't been to Flex in sometime. Used to go once a week, it was a favorite. Food is definitely not the same mussel broths were watered down, greasy and salty. I won't be going back.
- Great find!BabsDined on 11/15/2014I heard about this place from a friend, and had to try it as my boyfriend loves mussels. Really enjoyed it, but glad we went early (after a movie) as I can see it would get very noisy when there's a big crowd. The food was really good, and the wait staff very attentive and friendly. I had a lobster roll which was the best I've had in NY--(but not up to par with any in Maine!)--although it was on the small side. The mussels were wonderful! I would definitely recommend this place for its specialty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AMAZING!!!!!FOODIE4LIFEDined on 11/10/2014Love Flex Mussels! Food is always incredible and so is the service. Our waitress was so helpful and sweet. This was my first time trying the oysters. We had them to start- and they were FANTASTIC! I would recommend this restaurant to all of my friends! Can't wait to go back and try more things!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great speciality foodHudsonViewDined on 11/7/2014This gem started in Prince Edward Island, where the best mussels are raised in clean ocean waters. Because their menu is restricted to mussels and a few other fish and shellfish dishes, they know just how to prepare everything on the menu and you can be sure it will always be fresh and succulent as well as perfectly cooked. Oh and in addition to fries, they do vegetables beautifully. The scene is happy and clamorous as the evening goes on, so come early if you want to eat in quiet. The ambience is friendly and informal. There's a lively bar inthe front area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NOT GREAT MUSSELSmilsonbDined on 11/4/2014Went here expecting great mussels; they were tasty but not as tasty as they would have been had they been twice as large and twice as plump. Suggest Flex looks at their supplier and gets better quality produce. Their thin mussels compare poorly with other restaurants. Service fine; unnecessarily noisy. Wine good but expensive.Special Features:
- MusselsCeceDined on 11/4/2014The food was Fab! Loved the many different variations of mussels. Wedge salad yummy. Service great!Special Features:
- Great foodGoodFoodDined on 11/1/2014The mussels were fantastic, and the Whoopie Pie dessert was amazing. Overall, a little pricey for mussels, and the service was impersonal. But the food was excellent.Special Features:
- jeecoDined on 10/31/2014very well prepared and tons of options. the mediteranium dish was great. And the fresh donuts are additive.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/30/2014Great dinner, everything was just perfect. I have not been to this place for 3 years, but they have not changed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ArnieFromEnglewoodDined on 10/30/2014Silly name for seriously good, imaginative restaurant. Four people eating four different mussel dishes had trouble deciding which was best because each thought their's was the best. Sauces were so good that what remained was taken home and poured on top of pasta. Entree dishes are priced just right. Have informed my foodie friends, all New Jersey people of a certain age to make certain they check out this gem. It's a small tight setting as are the tables and chairs. But comfortable enough for wider bodies. We thought the wine was a bit pricey. But we came for mussels and were wowed but the dishes. Service was attentive and very helpful, no pressure and smiling faces. Really neat place. Can't wait to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Moules frites lovers rejoice!LuluDined on 10/28/2014Don't let the corny name deter you. This is the real deal. The Thai mussels (coconut milk, lemon grass, roasted garlic, cilantro, lime) were fantastic. The lobster roll that was also first rate. Minor annoyance is that the mussels don't come with fries - you have to order them a la carte - but they did come with the lobster roll (enough for 2 to split) and were wonderfully crispy and hot. Save room for dessert - we chose the doughnut platter with choice of 6 fillings and I still dream about it. Service was friendly and unusually attentive for a mid-priced restaurant. A small blip: when my husband dropped his knife on the floor, the nearest busboy immediately picked it up and then placed it back on the table (five second rule??).Special Features:
- FOOD SPOILED BY NOISE LEVELINTHEKNOWDined on 10/24/2014What would otherwise be a perfect dining experience is spoiled by the booming noise level. Impossible to say anything to your dining partner. For this reason I am hesitant to give an across the board recommendation, even though the mussels are great! The french fries not so great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So Many Mussels!waterfrontfinderDined on 10/22/2014The food here is always amazing. Each person gets a whole pot of delicious mussels. We went on a Tuesday night, and it was a little cramped and noisy. The service was excellent, as always.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/18/2014the mussels were tasty but not all the rage, donuts were delicious!Special Features:
- lvfoodDined on 10/18/2014Even though we arrived way before our scheduled reservation time, the hostess graciously seated us early even though the place was hopping. I am not a mussel fan but was pleasantly surprised how good it was. The wait staff was friendly and attentive. We had a great meal and will go back when in the citySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/18/2014I brought a foodie friend here for dinner and we had a great meal. We got the mussels Funghi and San Daniele. They were so creamy and delicious. The mussels came out PIPING hot but it didn't stop us from scarfing them down immediately (even to the detriment to a few of our taste buds). Overall great service and food. Will definitely come back.Special Features:
- Late dinnerSushifeastDined on 10/17/2014Met up with some friends for a late, light meal. Mussels were great but the branzino was tiny and not worth the money. Best to stick with the Mussels. Beer selection was good but never heard of most of the microbreweries.Special Features:
- AwesomeHariGDined on 10/17/2014Flex Mussels does not disappoint Amazing beer, oysters, and mussels.Special Features:
- YUMOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 10/16/2014I love Flex Mussels. It is just so good every time. The mussels that they serve are good quality - there was only 1 mussel in each pot that was closed and that is good considering I've been to many places where a lot of the mussels are closed. The Parma, the Fra Diavolo and to my surprise the Indian one were all amazing with truffle fries. I need to go here more often.Special Features:
- it's all about the broth!jimmVIPDined on 10/15/2014We very much enjoyed Flex Mussels! "Flex" means they're flexible preparation; you choose from 20 or so different preps. Of course mussels are all about the broth, and Flex doesn't disappoint. We had the Bombay (a little spicy!) and Maine style. Both good. These are farmed PEI mussels so they're not really large but you'll be OK with the portion. Tons of broth so we ended up taking the leftover home and eating it as soup. Truffle fries also decent. Their other feature is bismark donuts with various fillings. They come a minimum of 3 with a little side bowl of creme anglaise. Unique but nothing to leap up and down over. Slightly pricy but hey it's NYC. We were able to dine al fresco in their small outdoor seating area so that was a plus.Special Features:
- Awful WaiterSisterphiaDined on 10/13/2014Our waiter was so strange and off putting. He make me and my friends feel really awkward at my birthday dinner. I am sure we were nice and not difficult but from the very start he had an exteremly weird and unfriendly vibe. Also we had to ask him to take both our drink and food orders because he didn't come to check on us. Really wish I had a different waiter. The food was very good but maybe I won't come back because of this experience.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Come for the MusselsjaydeejayVIPDined on 10/13/2014Fresh and delicious PEI Mussels prepared so many different ways! The menu offers mussels prepared primarily steamed in one of many different broths. My husband started with the charred octopus which really was enough for us to share. We both had the mussels provencal, which arrived at the table steaming hot with plenty of bread for the sauce. We also shared an order of flex fries which arrived accompanied by ketchup (I would have preferred aioli in more of the moule frites tradition). Service was good and efficient. The tables are small, but our waiter quickly removed our empty shells as quickly as possible. The only negative is the closeness of the tables where it was difficult to get in and out of the seating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious MealBuckskinbellyDined on 10/11/2014My 10 year old daughter loves mussels so the 2 of us went together. The service was attentive and quick and the food was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Flex but not flexiblegoodtimeoutDined on 10/11/2014Staff friendly but overworked. Mussels okay. Simple menu. Couldn't enjoy dining in the cramped, noisy, packed, claustrophobic space. Expensive for mussels and left feeling hungry.
- Flex Mussels strikes again!AveriMaDined on 10/10/2014Flex Mussels is easily one of my favorite restaurants. From the food and drinks to decor - everything is impeccable! Great for girls night out, a romantic evening or just an all around good time.Special Features:
- Mussels Galore2outoftownersDined on 10/10/2014Reliable as always. Good, fresh steamed mussels with a variety of different broths. Great place for after (or before) the movies.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- tastyDined on 10/7/2014fantastic restaurant !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! great mussels !!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Food,not serviceJennyVIPDined on 10/7/2014I've to Flex Mussels a number of times. Food is always super and service almost as good. This tim3, however, the service was very poor. It would not deter me from going again, but I was quite disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slow service!!GtgtDined on 10/3/2014The mussels are unlike anywhere else but be ready for slow service! Came in early at 6pm and somehow took 20 minutes between every course.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!AlizaEloiseVIPDined on 9/29/2014Our food was perfect! From the first dish to the last. Mussels were hot, fresh, tender!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everyone was HappyHallwayVIPDined on 9/28/2014I happen to LOVE mussels...so this is a perfect spot for me. But everyone in our party of five left happy. Great mussels, fries, bread, salads, donuts. One hold out had fish & chips and raved about those! We plan to be regulars.Special Features:
- very bad reservation serviceASalvDined on 9/27/20142 complains: I called a couple of hours before my reservation to change from a 2 people to 3 people, I was told that I could change it but we were going to be sited at a table for 2. I decided it leave it for two. Good things because the table was very small, it was hard for two people to eat comfortably. Another complain is that we were told that the tables are available for only 1 1/2 hours which made me feel completely pressured to finish fast and made it hard to enjoy our meal. Overall, I would not come back. Don't get me wrong, the food is great but not worth being treated as if the restaurant is doing you a favor. The reservation service (not the waiter, he was nice, rushed but nice) killed it for me.Special Features:
- Parma is my favOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/23/2014All items on the menu sound amazing, but the Parma is my favourite so far. Not the healthiest option, though.Special Features:
- shaia17Dined on 9/20/2014This is my second time going, and it was definitely delicious. However, maybe it was because they were super busy, but i remember the mussel broth having a richer flavor. it wasn't as good as I had remembered the first time, but still worth trying if you've never been.Special Features:
- Amazingfoodie513VIPDined on 9/19/2014The bisque mussels were amazing. I need to go back!! Definitely make reservations. It gets busy in there, especially on the weekends and after 6/7pm.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy MusselsAngieDined on 9/19/2014There were so many options for broths. The broth was amazing. However, I was a little disappointed that the mussels were so tiny. Our server was very attentive. Overall, I was satisfied and happy with my food.Special Features:
- Amazing Mussels!Oriedog25Dined on 9/19/2014We discovered Flex Mussels about 3 years ago. We are regulars and we bring friends who love it too. I have never been disappointed in any dish I have tried and the seasonal changes are refreshing and delicious. I just love this place! PS save some room for the doughnuts!Special Features:
- An UES GemTommyDDined on 9/15/2014You will always have a good experience at Flex Mussels. The food is great, the service is attentive, and don't forget to have a donut for dessert. You will not regret it.Special Features:
- Love this place!Joie2vivreVIPDined on 9/14/2014One of our favorite neighborhood restaurants. We always have a great experience. Food and service are always great. Enjoying trying the interesting beers on draft that change often. The donuts for dessert are a must.Special Features: