Flex Mussels - 13th Street
154 West 13th St.
New York, NY 10011Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Flex Mussels - 13th Street
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://flexmussels.com/
- Phone: (212) 229-0222
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday 5:00pm-10:00pm, Tues - Thursday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:30PM, Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wine
- Special Events: Please join us for $20 all you can eat mussels from 5:30-7PM every night at the bar and counter only. Choice of Fra Diavolo, PEI or Classic. Fries and one draft beer included!
A word from Flex Mussels - 13th Street
Flex directly imports the highest quality Prince Edward Mussels, and we serve oysters that taste like you're kissing the sea!Continued
7 nights a week-bar and counter only 5:30-7PM Monday-Thursday, Fri-Sunday 5:00PM-7PM
7 nights a week-bar and counter only 5:30-7PM Monday-Thursday, Fri-Sunday 5:00PM-7PM
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
Flex Mussels - 13th Street - Best Restaurants in West Village ›
Flex Mussels - 13th Street reviews from OpenTable diners
210 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (128)neighborhood gem (101)good for groups (56)hot spot (52)romantic (39)special occasion (31)vibrant bar scene (25)late-night find (12)notable wine list (12)great for outdoor dining (9)great for lunch (6)kid-friendly (3)scenic view (2)great for brunch (2)Show More
- Food was good. Runners were annoying.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/19/2014Food was great. Waiter was good and cute. But the runner kept coming to our table and asked if we're done. I was there for about an hour and half and were asked 3x's. I would go back again and will saying something to the runner next time he ask if I'm done.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a SurpriseVitoVIPDined on 11/9/2014Every time we return to Flex the great atmosphere and fantastic choices of mussels remind us of what a gem this place is. Mussels Parma this time: spectacular. Can never decide which selection is our favorite! But you must make reservations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best of the bestBK224VIPDined on 11/8/2014Where else can you find more than 20 different mussel preparations? No where. And every one is a tasty treat. If you're a mussels fan, this is the place to go. For those dates, friends and spouses that are anti mollusk, the lobster roll pure heaven. Check it out. no regrets. promise. .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodravenize11VIPDined on 11/8/2014I have been wanting to come here for a long time but it is always booked. Had to make a reservation a month in advance but it was worth the hype. Only issue - I wish the mussels were bigger and plumper.Special Features:
- MissmadisonDined on 11/7/2014I love the mussels and oysters. Our waiter was charming and helpful. We will definitely come back for more.Special Features:
- 1 thing, very well doneOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/6/2014A great, fun place for all mussels and seafood lovers!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/6/2014fantastic selection of mussels! awesome presentation, servers attentive but not obtrusive - reasonable for quality and amountSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yum!LindaVIPDined on 11/3/2014Great concept - fabulous service - food is exceptional. Had a wonderful evening - only drawback is noise level but typical of most NYC restaurants. Food is fresh, creative and flavorful. We had a great time and highly recommend.Special Features:
- hhenkeDined on 11/2/2014Air-condition was way too cold for the comfort of the guests. Service was between rushed (asked what to drink even before we were sitting down) and too slow/out of sync (appetizers came at different times). The main courses, mussels, are excellent, but for the money charged the amount of mussels served is clearly too little.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodEriksenDined on 11/2/2014A wonderfull evening with a great selection of mussels, not found anywhere elseSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great if you love musselsPantsVIPDined on 11/1/2014The sauces were delicious and we all enjoyed the mussels - great for sharing. The tuna tartare special appetizer was just okay, but the chowder was excellent. Since the big attraction is the mussels, we were not inclined to get other entrees, so it didn't feel like a full dinner and we ended up eating a lot of bread to soak up the sauce. But the prep was great and the doughnuts for dessert were excellent.Special Features:
- DelishalisVIPDined on 10/27/2014this was my second time here and it was just as good as the first. we had fried oysters to start which were small but super tasty. i had the thai mussels which is the same as before and they are beyond delicious. i chose not to have fries- wouldnt have minded some rice to sop up the sauce!! i know- so not belgian.Special Features:
- Our "Go To" Restaurantase1707VIPDined on 10/15/2014The food at Flex Mussels is very good ... 23 different ways to enjoy a pot of mussels never disappoints, is always a great evening and is consistently good. But I am now starting to question their prices and portions. It should be noted that they have raised their prices on oysters that now cost $3.25 an oyster if it is from the east coast, or $3.75 for a west coast variety (they still run $3.00 apiece at Union Square Cafe). Also the pad of butter served with their very good bread is now actually half of a pad. The portions of mussels look smaller as well .... I think that Flex Mussels is trying to save money at the expense of their patrons.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday dinner spotdinnerdateDined on 10/14/2014My girlfriend told me she wanted to go to Flex Mussels for her birthday dinner. She is a foodie of sorts so I trusted her instinct and boy was I blown away. The mussels were delicious, service was very intimate, and ambiance was romantic. We also enjoyed a couple cocktails which were mediately priced and very good, as well as truffle fried - delicious! This is a very nice place for dinner for any couple out for any occasion in NYC. I paid the bill with a smile because we had such a good time.Special Features:
- 10/10, I'd eat there againkoreanleatherDined on 10/12/2014The thai and parma mussels were great. Service was quick. Best of all was we sat at a 2 top and didnt feel crowded by the other guests around us. Great spacing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!FoodiefromnjDined on 10/6/2014My third time here and I just can't get enough! I never knew I liked mussels until I went here! The charred octopus appetizer was truly incredible, melt in your mouth delicious! Spicy green salad what a great flavor combo. I tried the Parma this time as I had fallen into a Dijon rut and it was just fantastic! My friends had Fra Diavolo and Itailiano and were literally drinking broth as soup at end because they couldn't let go of it! Oh! Can't forget truffle fries to dip...! This place is a foodies dream but if you think the atmosphere might be gym like because of the name you couldn't be further from the truth. It's a very inviting, upscale decor and so much fun to watch everyone devouring their Pots! Don't miss this one!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- chongsterDined on 10/2/2014mussels are really fresh, that duchess of bergamot cocktail is real goodSpecial Features:
- Mussels and donutsGardenLuvVIPDined on 10/1/2014Great options for mussles and no matter what don't skip on the donuts. Great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific dining experienceshaunlybeeDined on 10/1/2014I took a friend here for her birthday, going only by the yelp reviews. I was blown away by the experience! Not only was the food incredible, but the service was impeccable as well. Our server made great recommendations for both food and wine, and between our server, the bus boys, and the manager who checked on us to see if we needed anything we felt very well taken care of. The fried clams melted in our mouths and had the perfect amount of seasoning, and the mussels were sumptuous and flavorful. Even the bread was fantastic. For dessert, we had the donuts and they were kind enough to surprise my friend with a birthday candle. All in all, it was an extraordinary experience and my friend had a great birthday.Special Features:
- wonderful!nomnomfoodDined on 9/27/2014The mussels were soooo good! Service was great. And the doughnuts were perfection! Would go everyday if I lived there!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dcookdcookDined on 9/27/2014The restaurant was recommended to us by my son who had eaten at the other Flex Mussels in Manhattan. Well, a fantastic recommendation, the food was amazing, the staff was so nice and patient with us, since I added two people and then when we arrived had to tell them they were no longer coming. The table they then gave us was fabulous. I would recommend this to everyone who loves mussels....what a fantabulous place..Special Features:
- AverageFoodieDined on 9/27/2014I had to speak twice each time talking with the guy arranging seats - he always swithed to the other thing after hearing the requests and then turned back later, not sure if that helps with efficiency. The staff are pretty "cool", I mean basically no smile. It was pretty hard to find help as everyone was busy. The food was a bit disappoionting. The mussels were small and so was the portion. The environment is not bad though a bit noisy.
- The name says it allOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/20/2014Mussels and more mussels done real well. Limited but solid wine list. Great desserts and the staff is very attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome DinnerTimmyVIPDined on 9/18/2014Everytime I go here the food is better and better. Never disappointed! The oysters to start were amazing and the bartender even made us some oyster shooters with jalapeno tequila because we do not like vodka. Definitely recommend this place for any occasionSpecial Features:
- Noisy oysters and mussels aplentyGabsezDined on 9/13/2014This well designed and efficient restaurant specializes in mussels of course but offers charming friendly service overall and while formulaic, it all works efficiently and servers and hostesses and hosts and bussers all work towards its effectiveness. It's a loud lively spot but fun and lotsa choices in food and drink!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellet foodkwalshDined on 9/12/2014The food was excellent and they had a great variety of choices for those who love mussels!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mussels were ExcellentPrivateCitizenDined on 9/12/2014Not too expensive for a NYC joint. Mussels Dijon were excellent. Unlimited free bread is also a plus. Air quality was a bit on the humid side although A/C was working.. Would say the fried oysters should have been priced more cheaply, as $16 for 6 is expensive. $12.95 would have been more reasonable, especially given they weren't big.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy hour musselsAnnieVIPDined on 9/11/2014Booked in for Happy Hour mussels and was seated in the lovely restaurant area. Wasn't aware the happy hour only is served by the bar area. So we moved! After that it was a very nice experience! Mussels and service +
- Everything was so good!new2theneighborhoodVIPDined on 9/10/2014My boyfriend and I dined for my 25th birthday. We had the burnt fingers appetizer which was very good- good amount of calamari, two large shrimp and 2 delicious fried clams. We each ordered a pot of mussels and shared. The Cleopatra was not one of the classic pots, but was SO SO good! We also tried the Dijon which was amazing! Don't forget to ask for extra bread to dip in the remaining sauce! OKAY now to the best part... don't get me wrong we had a wonderful meal, but the DOUGHNUTS! what can I say except MOST WONDERFUL THINGS I'VE EVER EATEN. The s'mores one was our favorite by far, but we also tried classics like the cinnamon sugar, chocolate and strawberry. Next time we will try some of the "crazier" flavors!Special Features:
- amazingfoodieVIPDined on 9/8/2014can't wait to try all of their mussels! so far i had bombay, italiano, fungi.. more to go. plus they have really nice decoration. highly recommended!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding seafood.TravisDined on 9/5/2014One of my favorite seafood restaurants in the city. Out of the way, but worth the trip every time. Great service, great food, great environment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- More than just musselsPetuniappDined on 9/4/2014Flex Mussels is all about mussels, with over 20 different combinations of sauces, etc. but they also add other seafood to the mix. I had the lobster chowder mussels, and my husband did the mussels with little neck clams. Both were excellent, and the mussels are of consistently good size since they are farm raised. Between our two pots of mussels, only 1 didn't open, a rarity with mussels. Then, the dessert donuts are amazing!Special Features:
- Visiting NYCCatherineDined on 9/2/2014I visit NYC annually and am always looking for a great spot that is not "the norm". We shared buckets of a variety of mussels and had your famous donuts for dessert. The food was amazing! I used open table and asked for a nice table (not near traffic) not knowing the seating and I was pleasantly surprised that we were given one of the best spots in the back room.Special Features:
- DissapointingsereouseatrDined on 9/2/2014The wines by the glass were limited to a small portion of the list and most started at $13/glass which would not have been so bad had it not been for the very stingy pour. As far as mussels go, variety of offerings were very good. However, if you have an aversion to cream in your broth, it reduces your choices by half. Biggest disappointment had to be that for a place that specialized in serving mussels, my dining partner and I were very surprised by the size of the mussels that we were served. I've got to be honest and say that I've seen the insides of pistachio nuts with bigger meat than the mussels we had. If I put my name on the line like that, I'd be sure to have the stuff! Next time, any belgian restaurant for better ..for less.Special Features:
- Best mussels everscandiPDined on 9/1/2014We passed this restaurant strolling around in our hood! And what a lucky stroll. We booked a table for happy hour the same day, and went to try out the oysters followed by dijon mussels and the classic ones with truffle fries. It certainly was a happy hour - the best oysters and mussels we have ever had. We are sure to come back to our new neighborhood gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The best mussels!!txgirlDined on 8/31/2014We went to Flex Mussels for the first time last year and my husband loved it. I just started eating Mussels a few months ago so I was excited to go back and try one of the many different flavors/styles they serve. I was not disappointed, we actually went back a second time during our 4 day stay in NYC. My husband had the Maine mussels which had lobster and a broth with bacon and potato. I had the Parma, which was mussels with melted Parmesan cheese, crispy onions and a fairly rich, cheesy type broth. I added lump crab meat to it. It was delicious. It is served with bread, which is really good in the broth. Lots of reviewers recommend the truffle fries, so we got them also. They were good, but I did not need them with the bread.Special Features:
- Amazing!!lodythefoodieDined on 8/30/2014We've been to different Flex Mussels locations around the city and we always have a great time. This time was no exception. Service was fantastic and great ambiance if you're young and want to have a fun night out. Not good for families with small children. We ordered oysters last-minute (after already ordering all our food) and they managed to bring them out immediately. They were delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/30/2014Everything we ordered was great! Especially the dessert donuts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Restaurant worth trying!PhillytoNYCDined on 8/30/2014Flex Mussels was a place I stumbled upon and decided to try. My partner and I had a FANTASTIC experience here. John (our waiter) was amazing and gave incredible recommendations. The food itself was flavorful and fresh...not to mention their donuts for dessert were delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service a little snootyUWS2VIPDined on 8/25/2014Mussels were good, and there was lots of bread to dip into the sauces. Service could be less "I know more than you".