Flex Mussels - 13th Street
154 West 13th St.
New York, NY 10011Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Flex Mussels - 13th Street
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://flexmussels.com/
- Phone: (212) 229-0222
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday 5:00pm-10:00pm, Tues - Thursday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:30PM, Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wine
- Special Events: Please join us for $20 all you can eat mussels from 5:30-7PM every night at the bar and counter only. Choice of Fra Diavolo, PEI or Classic. Fries and one draft beer included!
A word from Flex Mussels - 13th Street
Flex directly imports the highest quality Prince Edward Mussels, and we serve oysters that taste like you're kissing the sea!Continued
7 nights a week-bar and counter only 5:30-7PM Monday-Thursday, Fri-Sunday 5:00PM-7PM
7 nights a week-bar and counter only 5:30-7PM Monday-Thursday, Fri-Sunday 5:00PM-7PM
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
Flex Mussels - 13th Street - Best Restaurants in West Village ›
Flex Mussels - 13th Street reviews from OpenTable diners
210 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (128)neighborhood gem (101)good for groups (56)hot spot (52)romantic (39)special occasion (31)vibrant bar scene (25)late-night find (12)notable wine list (12)great for outdoor dining (9)great for lunch (6)kid-friendly (3)scenic view (2)great for brunch (2)Show More
- Flex your taste musselsSTLBOBDined on 8/24/2014So if you like mussels, this is THE place. Sauces to die for! Be sure to get a spoon to get every last drop. You'll LOVE this place!!Special Features:
- Bruxelles memoriesThalDined on 8/24/2014Have yet to find a New York place that is as good as the old Bruxelles on Greenwich avenue. Flex mussels has the food quality but much less European ambience and much more noise. But the owners (ugh) have the right business model because the customers average 30 years younger.
- DrLeeVIPDined on 8/23/2014Lots of different ways of preparing/presenting mussels. Ours were very good (Classic, Bombay...). The restaurant is surprisingly sprightly. Service was fine. A bit specialized of course, but you know that going in...
- Where's the meat?RockyVIPDined on 8/22/2014Enjoyed the flavors but the mussels were so very tiny.
- Flex Mussels make my day AWESOME!ImaniVIPDined on 8/19/2014So many flavors and styles to pick from, mussels are premiered on the menu. It's rare to find a restaurant that focuses on one ingredient and does it so well. We tried 4 pots and were very satisfied with all 4. Of the 4, I would highly recommend the Thai pot and Copenhagen pot. Donuts were great as well, some of our favorites were the salted caramel, smores and fluffernutter. Service was great, reservations highly recommended since both locations are on the smaller side, ideal for 2-4 people any group larger may be tougher to get seating. Flex is now one of my go-to spots when family and friends visit from out of town. If only they were open for lunch, I would bring all of my client here!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JudyJudyDined on 8/14/2014I love Flex Mussels. When I knew we were going to the Atlantic Theater I knew where we'd eat. I love the simplicity of the menu and the breadth of choices. We had Burnt Fingers as an appetizer and it was a perfect dish in everyday. The seafood was perfectly fried and the dipping sauce heavenly. I had Mussels with kaffir lime and lemongrass while my husband had Mexican mussels with chorizo. My only complaint was that I thought the mussels were a bit small but the sauce in which they were cooked was delicious. Of course we had 4 donuts for dessert - also heavenly .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Flex shows its mussels!OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/9/2014For fresh mussels and oysters, Flex Mussels can't be beat. Consistently outstanding.
- DifferentluvoreoDined on 8/9/2014Came here with some friends as, they never been here. However, I have to say, it was a little disappointing. I'm not sure if the chef is different or perhaps they were so busy that the food quality was not what I remembered it to be. We ordered the Crab Nacho's as a starter from the special of the day and it was pretty bland and dry. The mussels were kind of salty and small. For dessert, we ordered the donuts (from what I remembered, it was delicious) but, this time around, it was not. Last, when we paid, we gave the waiter our credit card and a $20 to have him give us change, but he never did (our fault as well for not remembering) but that shouldn't have to be the case. Overall, we did enjoy the atmosphere and made the most of our night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mussel heavenNewYorkWannaBeDined on 8/6/2014If you like mussels, you could eat here every day for over two weeks and have something different every day. All sound delicious! I had the "spicy" Fra Diavolo but it was not at all spicy. However, the sauce was lip-smacking good (although too salty to me) and the bread they provide is wonderfully chewy. My daughter greatly enjoyed the four-donut dessert. Service is very good. I highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/4/2014The price adds up, but the food really never disappoints.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful!AphoDined on 8/1/2014Great food, great menu, great idea! Loved being served in large pots and choices of mussels hit every possible taste bud. Really fun place and good sized portions. Needed and received 2 complimentary orders of stupendous bread to soak up the terrific sauces in the pots and even dunked the fabulous french fries when we decided we should not ask for a third order of bread!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Innovative DiningnewyorkiesDined on 8/1/2014The food was tasty, creative, from the appetizers; delicious corn meal fried calamari with a delicious dipping sauce to the variety of mussel combo dishes we all shared to make sure we all had a share in the innovative and varied dishes. The broths were superb!! Dipping way too much delicious bread until we drank it all. Dessert of key lime pie in a glass was out of this world; probably one of the most delicious desserts I've had. And I am a chocolate lover! Usually none of that fancy fruit concoctions for me!! Very crowded, tables close together, noisy but attentive, friendly waiters. Can't say much for the alcohol because I chose not to indulge. Generous portions and prices to match.Special Features:
- Amazing Mussels!SeafoodLoverDined on 8/1/2014I absolutely love this place. Their Dijon Mussels is one of my favorites. The serving is big enough to leave you satisfied. Their beer selection was also great. The only reason I didn't rank it 5 stars is for their skimpy dessert selections. But if mussels is what you crave, then this place is highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 817 reviews are from the Flex Mussels - 13th Street reviews archive.
- Love this placeMTMNYCDined on 7/29/2014This is my go-to place for a nice night out. The mussels are always great and there are so many varieties to choose from. Our server was spectacular, friendly and charming.Special Features:
- Best Seefood in NYCawhiteDined on 7/28/2014Some of the best service and seafood in NYC. Dessert was the best beignets I've outside New Orleans and France. Drinks were top notch as well.Special Features:
- Mussel UpOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/26/2014Great selection of mussel preparation. Also good to see other items on the menu.Special Features:
- Food was deliciousAmyinthecityVIPDined on 7/25/2014I thought this was one of the best mussel dishes I ever had. I was disappointed that the fries did not come with the mussels. I have been to many restaurants this is the first restaurant that charged a comparable price to other restaurants that serve similar dishes without the fries! But the food itself was great!
- FLEX-ITFirstTimeAnassaVIPDined on 7/22/2014SO DELISH! GREAT HOSPITALITY BY ALL THANK YOU (ALL)Special Features:
- LizzyDined on 7/22/2014Our server, David was professional and attentive. He made great suggestions and was helpful with the menu. Mussels were amazing. I had the Thai and they were fresh and flavorful. Also loved the oyster shooter!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this place!FoodiefromnjDined on 7/17/2014Been here several times now and it's always just great! Love the whole scene and the food couldn't be better!Special Features:
- The name says it allAshland68Dined on 7/16/2014We got 4 types. Thai and cleopatra were my favs. They do know how to do mussels. Oddly enough no one was impressed with any of the signature cocktails. Bit if mussels are what you crave... This is the place. Oh and the donuts were pretty tasty tooSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LOVED LOVED LOVED!FoodiefromnjDined on 7/13/2014Great atmosphere but not loud or too hectic. I don't really love mussels but took my daughter as they are her favorite. Now I realize I love mussels prepared properly! Our waitress was great, we had the Dijon and the lobster mussels and argued over which one was more spectacular. Spicy salad to start was delicious and the truffle fries a must! Sangria was refreshing and definitely worth a try-delicious. I can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomehaitianhonieDined on 7/12/2014I recommend for groups of 6 or less. All around wonderful experience & cool vibe. You don't feel rushed and can really enjoy yourself.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Mussels I've ever had!!!!Kwizard78Dined on 7/12/2014If you don't like Mussels skip this restaurant because that is what makes up the majority of their menu. But if you love mussels, run here. These were some of the freshest and most delicious mussels I've ever tasted. I had the Thai Curry broth and it was outstanding. My whole party was raving over their meals.Special Features:
- Get another bartenderNotaCleanFreakVIPDined on 7/11/2014Waited 20 minutes for our drinks - our waiter was great but was thwarted by more managementI would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner with friendsCool1215Dined on 7/11/2014This was my second times in two weeks. I tried the Mexican style mussel the first time I was there and Thai style for the second time. I enjoyed both very much. I will come back again soon for more. Flex Mussels has different way of cooking mussels that makes it more enjoyable when you eat them. Don't for get the flex donuts. My favor ones are wildblueberies, salted caramel & lemon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique dining experiencePickyeaterDined on 7/5/2014The food at Flex Mussels is wonderful; a combination of inspired casual and chic; earthy, eclectic, sophisticated, yet simple and satisfying. If you enjoy mussels anyway, you can't go wrong here. If you're not sure, this is the place you will learn to love them, or there's no hope for you anywhere. And you must get the donuts, which are amazing and unlike any donuts you will find anywhere else. Mussels and donuts; who knew? Just another example of the creative pairings you will find here.Special Features:
- Amazing MusselslakeshoredriveVIPDined on 7/3/2014Great variety of flavors of mussels. Wine list is pretty good. Key Lime desert is really sweet, but great!Special Features:
- Our favoriteFoodieVIPDined on 7/3/2014Our favorite place in the city!!! Mussels are the best you can find in the city.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PerfectionBrittDined on 7/2/2014Flex mussels is consistently on point and I have been obsessed ever since I went last summer for the first time. For every occasion, family member or friend in town, I always go. You don't even need to love mussels to enjoy this restaurant. The salads are amazing, the truffle french fries…may just be the best fries I have ever had, and the donuts…are actually the best donuts I have ever had. But aside from all the extra menu benefits, the actual mussels are phenomenal. Every preparation is better then the next. I have never not loved a pot yet! I am a huge foodie and constantly promote this restaurant on my nyc food blog www.brittsbestbites.blogspot.com and on instagram/twitter/Fb: @brittsbestbitesSpecial Features:
- AwesomeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/2/2014Food - terrific. Place - clean, pretty, nice. Service - excellent. Will most definitely return.Special Features:
- Strong musclesLorscotDined on 7/2/2014In NY with my son for July 4th weekend and heard good things about this place. Nice atmosphere and outstanding muscles. The oysters were also fantastic as an appetizer and the home made donuts for dessert finished off a superb meal. Highly recommended!Special Features:
- Truly amazingMunchyDined on 7/1/2014The food was absolutely amazing & the service was truly impeccable. Will be back many, many times without a doubt!Special Features:
- FantasticbcamVIPDined on 6/30/2014This was my 4th or 5th time here and I'm only now getting around to writing a review. One of my favorite places in NYC to eat; a must for mussel lovers!Special Features:
- Good fun, good fun!BsweetDined on 6/25/2014You gotta love mussels, but who doesn't? I love the fun atmosphere, and the cocktail list is always great. This place is just yummy! Splurg on the whoopie pie!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodIworkinthebusinessDined on 6/20/2014But thats where it stops too loud poor service will try it again but probably sit outside
- First time food issueEllenDined on 6/20/2014I've been to Flex Mussels a few times, and always great. But this last time, not enough sauce was in the mussel pots, which seemed a bit skimpy. Fra diavolo sauce too bland and more warm than hot. However, upon our request, they brought more sauce which was tastier and oven hot. My sister's "special" lacked the chorizo it was supposed to have, and provided only 2 clams and 1 shrimp (should have been 2) for $8 more than basic mussels fra diavolo (it was mussels fra divolo with those extra items). Also note: the Happy Hour pricing only applies if you are seated at the bar (it's a good deal if you are one or two people -- $15 for full, regular sized pot of mussels plus an order of fries).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exactly What I Was ExpectingTammyDined on 6/18/2014Having read such great reviews online, I decided to go with 2 friends. We were not disappointed. Our meal was outstanding from beginning to end, starting with a great Hostess. The mussels were some of the best I've ever had, order the Thai Mussels - Outstanding! Our server was friendly and efficient and the food came out rather quickly. I didn't have the oysters this time around, but will definitely order next time, they looked so fresh. It was too hot that evening to eat outside, but the space looked great as the restaurant is on a quiet street. Great neighborhood to walk around afterwards. The donuts for dessert topped off a wonderful evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- delicious!glendowerDined on 6/17/2014Delicious food. Better, probably, to go for happy hour. If you do, be sure to eat in the bar. There the mussels are $15 and come with fries. If you sit at a table, the mussels are $20+ and the fries are an extra $6.Special Features:
- Delicious casual mealqueenieDined on 6/15/2014The first thing you notice once you are seated in the dining room is the back photo-- it is dynamic and soothing all at the same time-- just as our meal was. This was out first time here, and it was much better than we were expecting . The oysters we started with were fresh and tasty, and we tried a new type recommended by our knowledgeable waiter. 3 out of 4 of us ordered the mussel pots- all 3 were very tasty and well prepared. And served with crusty French bread one would expect to find in France. The fourth diner had the fish and chips-- the batter on the fish was light and crisp, and the fish itself, very good. And the truffle fries-- delicious. Salad appetizers were also very good. No complaints whatsoever! Would definitely come againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.