Flex Mussels - 13th Street
154 West 13th St.
New York, NY 10011Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Flex Mussels - 13th Street
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://flexmussels.com/
- Phone: 2122290222x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday 5:00pm-10:00pm, Tues - Thursday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:30PM, Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wine
- Special Events: Please join us for $20 all you can eat mussels from 5:30-7PM every night at the bar and counter only. Choice of Fra Diavolo, PEI or Classic. Fries and one draft beer included!
A word from Flex Mussels - 13th Street
Flex directly imports the highest quality Prince Edward Mussels, and we serve oysters that taste like you're kissing the sea!Continued
7 nights a week-bar and counter only 5:30-7PM Monday-Thursday, Fri-Sunday 5:00PM-7PM
7 nights a week-bar and counter only 5:30-7PM Monday-Thursday, Fri-Sunday 5:00PM-7PM
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
Flex Mussels - 13th Street - Best Restaurants in West Village ›
Flex Mussels - 13th Street reviews from OpenTable diners
211 reviews since June 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (137)neighborhood gem (112)hot spot (63)romantic (50)good for groups (46)special occasion (40)vibrant bar scene (27)great for outdoor dining (13)late-night find (12)notable wine list (10)great for lunch (6)great for brunch (4)scenic view (3)kid-friendly (3)Show More
- Our "Go To" Restaurantase1707VIPDined on 10/15/2014The food at Flex Mussels is very good ... 23 different ways to enjoy a pot of mussels never disappoints, is always a great evening and is consistently good. But I am now starting to question their prices and portions. It should be noted that they have raised their prices on oysters that now cost $3.25 an oyster if it is from the east coast, or $3.75 for a west coast variety (they still run $3.00 apiece at Union Square Cafe). Also the pad of butter served with their very good bread is now actually half of a pad. The portions of mussels look smaller as well .... I think that Flex Mussels is trying to save money at the expense of their patrons.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday dinner spotdinnerdateDined on 10/14/2014My girlfriend told me she wanted to go to Flex Mussels for her birthday dinner. She is a foodie of sorts so I trusted her instinct and boy was I blown away. The mussels were delicious, service was very intimate, and ambiance was romantic. We also enjoyed a couple cocktails which were mediately priced and very good, as well as truffle fried - delicious! This is a very nice place for dinner for any couple out for any occasion in NYC. I paid the bill with a smile because we had such a good time.Special Features:
- 10/10, I'd eat there againkoreanleatherDined on 10/12/2014The thai and parma mussels were great. Service was quick. Best of all was we sat at a 2 top and didnt feel crowded by the other guests around us. Great spacing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!FoodiefromnjDined on 10/6/2014My third time here and I just can't get enough! I never knew I liked mussels until I went here! The charred octopus appetizer was truly incredible, melt in your mouth delicious! Spicy green salad what a great flavor combo. I tried the Parma this time as I had fallen into a Dijon rut and it was just fantastic! My friends had Fra Diavolo and Itailiano and were literally drinking broth as soup at end because they couldn't let go of it! Oh! Can't forget truffle fries to dip...! This place is a foodies dream but if you think the atmosphere might be gym like because of the name you couldn't be further from the truth. It's a very inviting, upscale decor and so much fun to watch everyone devouring their Pots! Don't miss this one!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- chongsterDined on 10/2/2014mussels are really fresh, that duchess of bergamot cocktail is real goodSpecial Features:
- Mussels and donutsGardenLuvVIPDined on 10/1/2014Great options for mussles and no matter what don't skip on the donuts. Great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific dining experienceshaunlybeeDined on 10/1/2014I took a friend here for her birthday, going only by the yelp reviews. I was blown away by the experience! Not only was the food incredible, but the service was impeccable as well. Our server made great recommendations for both food and wine, and between our server, the bus boys, and the manager who checked on us to see if we needed anything we felt very well taken care of. The fried clams melted in our mouths and had the perfect amount of seasoning, and the mussels were sumptuous and flavorful. Even the bread was fantastic. For dessert, we had the donuts and they were kind enough to surprise my friend with a birthday candle. All in all, it was an extraordinary experience and my friend had a great birthday.Special Features:
- wonderful!nomnomfoodDined on 9/27/2014The mussels were soooo good! Service was great. And the doughnuts were perfection! Would go everyday if I lived there!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dcookdcookDined on 9/27/2014The restaurant was recommended to us by my son who had eaten at the other Flex Mussels in Manhattan. Well, a fantastic recommendation, the food was amazing, the staff was so nice and patient with us, since I added two people and then when we arrived had to tell them they were no longer coming. The table they then gave us was fabulous. I would recommend this to everyone who loves mussels....what a fantabulous place..Special Features:
- AverageFoodieDined on 9/27/2014I had to speak twice each time talking with the guy arranging seats - he always swithed to the other thing after hearing the requests and then turned back later, not sure if that helps with efficiency. The staff are pretty "cool", I mean basically no smile. It was pretty hard to find help as everyone was busy. The food was a bit disappoionting. The mussels were small and so was the portion. The environment is not bad though a bit noisy.
- The name says it allOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/20/2014Mussels and more mussels done real well. Limited but solid wine list. Great desserts and the staff is very attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome DinnerTimmyVIPDined on 9/18/2014Everytime I go here the food is better and better. Never disappointed! The oysters to start were amazing and the bartender even made us some oyster shooters with jalapeno tequila because we do not like vodka. Definitely recommend this place for any occasionSpecial Features:
- Noisy oysters and mussels aplentyGabsezDined on 9/13/2014This well designed and efficient restaurant specializes in mussels of course but offers charming friendly service overall and while formulaic, it all works efficiently and servers and hostesses and hosts and bussers all work towards its effectiveness. It's a loud lively spot but fun and lotsa choices in food and drink!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellet foodkwalshDined on 9/12/2014The food was excellent and they had a great variety of choices for those who love mussels!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mussels were ExcellentPrivateCitizenDined on 9/12/2014Not too expensive for a NYC joint. Mussels Dijon were excellent. Unlimited free bread is also a plus. Air quality was a bit on the humid side although A/C was working.. Would say the fried oysters should have been priced more cheaply, as $16 for 6 is expensive. $12.95 would have been more reasonable, especially given they weren't big.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy hour musselsAnnieVIPDined on 9/11/2014Booked in for Happy Hour mussels and was seated in the lovely restaurant area. Wasn't aware the happy hour only is served by the bar area. So we moved! After that it was a very nice experience! Mussels and service +
- Everything was so good!new2theneighborhoodVIPDined on 9/10/2014My boyfriend and I dined for my 25th birthday. We had the burnt fingers appetizer which was very good- good amount of calamari, two large shrimp and 2 delicious fried clams. We each ordered a pot of mussels and shared. The Cleopatra was not one of the classic pots, but was SO SO good! We also tried the Dijon which was amazing! Don't forget to ask for extra bread to dip in the remaining sauce! OKAY now to the best part... don't get me wrong we had a wonderful meal, but the DOUGHNUTS! what can I say except MOST WONDERFUL THINGS I'VE EVER EATEN. The s'mores one was our favorite by far, but we also tried classics like the cinnamon sugar, chocolate and strawberry. Next time we will try some of the "crazier" flavors!Special Features:
- amazingfoodieVIPDined on 9/8/2014can't wait to try all of their mussels! so far i had bombay, italiano, fungi.. more to go. plus they have really nice decoration. highly recommended!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding seafood.TravisDined on 9/5/2014One of my favorite seafood restaurants in the city. Out of the way, but worth the trip every time. Great service, great food, great environment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- More than just musselsPetuniappDined on 9/4/2014Flex Mussels is all about mussels, with over 20 different combinations of sauces, etc. but they also add other seafood to the mix. I had the lobster chowder mussels, and my husband did the mussels with little neck clams. Both were excellent, and the mussels are of consistently good size since they are farm raised. Between our two pots of mussels, only 1 didn't open, a rarity with mussels. Then, the dessert donuts are amazing!Special Features:
- Visiting NYCCatherineDined on 9/2/2014I visit NYC annually and am always looking for a great spot that is not "the norm". We shared buckets of a variety of mussels and had your famous donuts for dessert. The food was amazing! I used open table and asked for a nice table (not near traffic) not knowing the seating and I was pleasantly surprised that we were given one of the best spots in the back room.Special Features:
- DissapointingsereouseatrDined on 9/2/2014The wines by the glass were limited to a small portion of the list and most started at $13/glass which would not have been so bad had it not been for the very stingy pour. As far as mussels go, variety of offerings were very good. However, if you have an aversion to cream in your broth, it reduces your choices by half. Biggest disappointment had to be that for a place that specialized in serving mussels, my dining partner and I were very surprised by the size of the mussels that we were served. I've got to be honest and say that I've seen the insides of pistachio nuts with bigger meat than the mussels we had. If I put my name on the line like that, I'd be sure to have the stuff! Next time, any belgian restaurant for better ..for less.Special Features:
- Best mussels everscandiPDined on 9/1/2014We passed this restaurant strolling around in our hood! And what a lucky stroll. We booked a table for happy hour the same day, and went to try out the oysters followed by dijon mussels and the classic ones with truffle fries. It certainly was a happy hour - the best oysters and mussels we have ever had. We are sure to come back to our new neighborhood gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The best mussels!!txgirlDined on 8/31/2014We went to Flex Mussels for the first time last year and my husband loved it. I just started eating Mussels a few months ago so I was excited to go back and try one of the many different flavors/styles they serve. I was not disappointed, we actually went back a second time during our 4 day stay in NYC. My husband had the Maine mussels which had lobster and a broth with bacon and potato. I had the Parma, which was mussels with melted Parmesan cheese, crispy onions and a fairly rich, cheesy type broth. I added lump crab meat to it. It was delicious. It is served with bread, which is really good in the broth. Lots of reviewers recommend the truffle fries, so we got them also. They were good, but I did not need them with the bread.Special Features:
- Amazing!!lodythefoodieDined on 8/30/2014We've been to different Flex Mussels locations around the city and we always have a great time. This time was no exception. Service was fantastic and great ambiance if you're young and want to have a fun night out. Not good for families with small children. We ordered oysters last-minute (after already ordering all our food) and they managed to bring them out immediately. They were delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/30/2014Everything we ordered was great! Especially the dessert donuts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Restaurant worth trying!PhillytoNYCDined on 8/30/2014Flex Mussels was a place I stumbled upon and decided to try. My partner and I had a FANTASTIC experience here. John (our waiter) was amazing and gave incredible recommendations. The food itself was flavorful and fresh...not to mention their donuts for dessert were delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service a little snootyUWS2VIPDined on 8/25/2014Mussels were good, and there was lots of bread to dip into the sauces. Service could be less "I know more than you".
- Flex your taste musselsSTLBOBDined on 8/24/2014So if you like mussels, this is THE place. Sauces to die for! Be sure to get a spoon to get every last drop. You'll LOVE this place!!Special Features:
- Bruxelles memoriesThalDined on 8/24/2014Have yet to find a New York place that is as good as the old Bruxelles on Greenwich avenue. Flex mussels has the food quality but much less European ambience and much more noise. But the owners (ugh) have the right business model because the customers average 30 years younger.
- DrLeeVIPDined on 8/23/2014Lots of different ways of preparing/presenting mussels. Ours were very good (Classic, Bombay...). The restaurant is surprisingly sprightly. Service was fine. A bit specialized of course, but you know that going in...
- Where's the meat?RockyVIPDined on 8/22/2014Enjoyed the flavors but the mussels were so very tiny.
- Flex Mussels make my day AWESOME!ImaniVIPDined on 8/19/2014So many flavors and styles to pick from, mussels are premiered on the menu. It's rare to find a restaurant that focuses on one ingredient and does it so well. We tried 4 pots and were very satisfied with all 4. Of the 4, I would highly recommend the Thai pot and Copenhagen pot. Donuts were great as well, some of our favorites were the salted caramel, smores and fluffernutter. Service was great, reservations highly recommended since both locations are on the smaller side, ideal for 2-4 people any group larger may be tougher to get seating. Flex is now one of my go-to spots when family and friends visit from out of town. If only they were open for lunch, I would bring all of my client here!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JudyJudyDined on 8/14/2014I love Flex Mussels. When I knew we were going to the Atlantic Theater I knew where we'd eat. I love the simplicity of the menu and the breadth of choices. We had Burnt Fingers as an appetizer and it was a perfect dish in everyday. The seafood was perfectly fried and the dipping sauce heavenly. I had Mussels with kaffir lime and lemongrass while my husband had Mexican mussels with chorizo. My only complaint was that I thought the mussels were a bit small but the sauce in which they were cooked was delicious. Of course we had 4 donuts for dessert - also heavenly .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Flex shows its mussels!OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/9/2014For fresh mussels and oysters, Flex Mussels can't be beat. Consistently outstanding.
- DifferentluvoreoDined on 8/9/2014Came here with some friends as, they never been here. However, I have to say, it was a little disappointing. I'm not sure if the chef is different or perhaps they were so busy that the food quality was not what I remembered it to be. We ordered the Crab Nacho's as a starter from the special of the day and it was pretty bland and dry. The mussels were kind of salty and small. For dessert, we ordered the donuts (from what I remembered, it was delicious) but, this time around, it was not. Last, when we paid, we gave the waiter our credit card and a $20 to have him give us change, but he never did (our fault as well for not remembering) but that shouldn't have to be the case. Overall, we did enjoy the atmosphere and made the most of our night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mussel heavenNewYorkWannaBeDined on 8/6/2014If you like mussels, you could eat here every day for over two weeks and have something different every day. All sound delicious! I had the "spicy" Fra Diavolo but it was not at all spicy. However, the sauce was lip-smacking good (although too salty to me) and the bread they provide is wonderfully chewy. My daughter greatly enjoyed the four-donut dessert. Service is very good. I highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/4/2014The price adds up, but the food really never disappoints.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful!AphoDined on 8/1/2014Great food, great menu, great idea! Loved being served in large pots and choices of mussels hit every possible taste bud. Really fun place and good sized portions. Needed and received 2 complimentary orders of stupendous bread to soak up the terrific sauces in the pots and even dunked the fabulous french fries when we decided we should not ask for a third order of bread!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Innovative DiningnewyorkiesDined on 8/1/2014The food was tasty, creative, from the appetizers; delicious corn meal fried calamari with a delicious dipping sauce to the variety of mussel combo dishes we all shared to make sure we all had a share in the innovative and varied dishes. The broths were superb!! Dipping way too much delicious bread until we drank it all. Dessert of key lime pie in a glass was out of this world; probably one of the most delicious desserts I've had. And I am a chocolate lover! Usually none of that fancy fruit concoctions for me!! Very crowded, tables close together, noisy but attentive, friendly waiters. Can't say much for the alcohol because I chose not to indulge. Generous portions and prices to match.Special Features: