Flea Street Cafe
3607 Alameda de las Pulgas
Menlo Park, CA 94025Neighborhood:
CalifornianPrice: $31 to $50
Flea Street Cafe
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.cooleatz.com/
- Phone: (650) 854-1226
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Sunday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm,
Reservations highly recommended.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Carlos Canada / Jesse Cool - Owner
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We have a full service fine dining catering company, offering menus similar to the menu at Flea Street for 50 to 500. Please call 650-325-2068. Our Director of Catering, Emily Martin, will be happy to assist you.
- Private Party Facilities: Our large party, private dining room can accommodate up to 22 guests. It is available Sunday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday evenings from 5:30 to 9:30
The minimum charge for the room is $2500 exclusive of tax and service charge. A special four course menu and wines will be chosen for your event.
We also have restaurant buy-out capabilities for groups up to 80 people.
For further information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Private Party Contact: Rika Zilant 6508541226
A word from Flea Street Cafe
Flea Street has been a Silicon Valley favorite since 1980. The atmosphere is contemporary, sophisticated and inviting, making it the perfect place to meet for cocktails, business meetings and private gatherings. Jesse Ziff Cool, along with her remarkable staff led by Executive Chef Carlos Canada, creates a dining experience that is nurturing, soulful and memorable. The menu is a celebration of the rich Northern California food community: seafood is caught in the nearby Pacific, produce is carefully sourced from local farms, meat is grass-fed or pasture-raised to name just a few. Flea Street offers innovative yet approachable cuisine that showcases the very best of the season. Our lively, yet intimate bar specializes in martinis and unique cocktails using small batch liquors. A large hand-selected wine list features the best of California’s extraordinary vineyards with an emphasis on the local appellation--the Santa Cruz Mountains.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Flea Street Cafe - Best Restaurants in Menlo Park ›
Flea Street Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
165 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (136)neighborhood gem (111)special occasion (110)romantic (86)notable wine list (35)great for outdoor dining (28)hot spot (15)good for groups (9)vibrant bar scene (8)great for lunch (6)late-night find (4)great for brunch (2)kid-friendly (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Flea StOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/25/2014This was the only visit where service was less than perfect, I'm confident they will be much better next time (as they always have). The Filet Mignon special was unreal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Flea street cafeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/25/2014Fabulous, as always...we are never disappointed. The quality of the food and presentation is excellent and the menus creative.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always specialCookieDined on 11/23/2014Every visit to FSC has been a exceptional food experience - creative and always so delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistent perfection.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/23/2014I've been enjoying Flea Street for 30 years. Owner and Chef Jesse Cool's adherence to local, fresh, and sustainable has raised the bar for every other dining establishment. love everything about this place, including the wonderful staff. Consistent perfectionSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Food!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/19/2014Amazing food - I am ready to go back and try what we weren't able to on the menu. Packed on a Wed evening - turning away walk ins when there was no space at the bar - and we got a visit from Ms. Z-C at our table - it was just a wonderful way to end the dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DesignDined on 11/16/2014Dinner was overall, nice, but for the prices, it was not that great! Bar bill was again high. If you want a nice wine fine, if a house wine would be fine, great. There was no house wine. I was disappointed.I would recommend this to a friend.
- NeighborhoodBeautyDined on 11/15/2014Cozy and friendly very pricy for a neighborhood restaurant. I found it very with limited in choices especially the main courses not enough lite dishes Good in season vegetables , nice casual atmosphere I would go back but not often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place but watch the step4thgenCAVIPDined on 11/14/2014I booked this place for a group celebrating after completing a Master's degree presentation on the Stanford campus. The food was--as always--wonderful...carefully prepared, fresh ingredients. Seating was a bit of a scramble because our group kept changing their minds about timing and the guest of honor kept adding invitees--to the extent that we had more people than the restaurant would accommodate on a Friday or Saturday night (limit was 6). So we ate outdoors, and even though it was a chilly night, the heaters kept it reasonably comfortable. A quibble is that despite our reservation, it took about 20 minutes to get settled in. (However, we've eaten here before w/ reservations and didn't have a wait. No doubt with such a big group and at the end of an evening, seating delays add up.) Bigger quibble is what happened at the end of an otherwise enjoyable evening: the entire parking bumper adjacent to the south side of the building (looks to have been recently resurfaced, and is therefore covered in black top-coat, as is the rest of the parking lot)--given the very poor lighting in the lot--is virtually invisible. In leaving the restaurant, I tripped over this invisible hazard and fell sideways, landing on wrist, elbow, and smacked the back of my head on the asphalt. I survived (despite goose-egg on head), but the parking bumper step needs to be painted white immediately and/or lighting needs to be improved.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was fabulous and the service impeccable.TillyDined on 11/11/2014We've been going to Flea Street for more than 25 years and it just keeps getting better and better--if that's even possible! We shared a salad, which the waiter kindly split without our asking. Fresh, fresh, fresh, and a glorious combination of fruit and greens. Our entrees were beautiful and so tasty, with different and perfectly prepared veggies and great sauces. Dessert was also 10 out of 10. The waiter recommended the very best wine pairings, and all of the wait staff were extremely attentive, without hovering.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always Wonderful!YummyDined on 11/7/2014We have gone to Flea Street numerous times and always have great food and wonderful service. Locally grown and tastily cooked we enjoy each course. The flavors and style is always somewhat unique and we heartily recommend Flea Street for special occasions, meetings with friends, or any time you feel like great food and quiet, pleasant surroundings.Special Features:
- Great restaurantSavvyAbbyVIPDined on 11/1/2014We really enjoyed our dinner. I had a special: lamb prepared two ways -- lamb meatballs and lamb loin. My boyfriend had the beef short ribs that is a regular menu item and a customer favorite. The food was very, very good and the service was top notch. We will definitely return again in the future.Special Features:
- Nice neighborhood restaurantPunkinDined on 10/31/2014Flea Street Cafe is one of the best local restaurants around. We particularly like the small rooms which makes the experience feel more intimate than the large open rooms. We will return with our friends as they also enjoyed the experience.Special Features:
- Excellent in every wayPennyDined on 10/31/2014Quiet, friendly, laid back, wonderful service, superb food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HappyJoeBDined on 10/30/2014Had a nice b-day dinner. Very delicious vegies. Good drinks. JoeSpecial Features:
- Wonderful as usualSaltlyVIPDined on 10/29/2014There are so few restaurants of this quality on the mid peninsula. Too bad more don't open. Then maybe we could get in without having to make a reservation a month in advance!!Special Features:
- menlunckyDined on 10/24/2014The service an food were excellent. I have always enjoyed the experience and food at Flea Street. Our entire table enjoyed every serving. The halibut was tops. I can't war to go back.Special Features:
- Perfect for Socializing!DelishVIPDined on 10/24/2014Two close friends and I had delicious appetizers and meals, unhurried dining and plenty of time to visit throughout our visit together.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exquisite Food Right from the FarmfrequentDinerVIPDined on 10/19/2014Excellent sourcing, preparation and presentation of the food. My cocktail, “Spiced Ice Gin and Tonic”, was perfectly crafted. The wonderful spicey flavor remained unchanged throughout the appetizer and entree (about 1.5 hours). If you want a hint why, read the menu. When we return in January I hope it is still available. I had fried green tomatoes and the “Which Came First”, chicken and egg combo. I rarely order chicken in a restaurant. I am glad i did this time. My wife had the “Pan Roasted Black Cod”. I tasted it, and it was perfect. Next time I will order that, just for the change. I can't remember my wife's appetizer. The service was impeccable which included special requests. The price including deserts and coffee was about $200.Special Features:
- Flea Street CafeOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/16/2014Everything was perfect at this restaurant. The hostess let us choose a wonderful table. The servers were prompt without being pushy. The food was fabulous. We chose some of the specials, some from the menu and shared everything. Jesse, the chef, honored us by stopping at our table and chatting: lovely lady. The wine list was excellent.Special Features:
- Nice, quality experienceMunchingMarkVIPDined on 10/4/2014Had heard about this place for some time but finally had a chance to try it on Saturday. It has a great neighbor hood feel and each of the menu items was special. Everyone at the table ordered a different entree and we shared a few appetizers. The place is not a over-the-top foodie joint. It is just a great place to go for inventive, high-quality and delicious food. What's not to love? Service was great too. Efficient, not stuffy.Special Features:
- SnickDined on 10/3/2014An absolutely fabulous restaurant!! Superb food, service, and ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a placeKarenDined on 10/3/2014If you are yearning for learned, courteous, and professional service, beautifully presented, creative, and fresh food, in a comfortable, welcoming setting, you can't beat the Flea Street Cafe. Drove by for years (like 30 years) and never went in until this year. Will go back for special dinners. What a jewel.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- suevVIPDined on 10/2/2014last minute decision to go out and lucky to have availability. saw 3 other tables with friends. great neighborhood gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Limited menu, but all goodWontBeBackVIPDined on 10/2/2014Haven't been here in 20 years, but it's still excellent. All the food was tasty, innovative, & local. No complaints. Jesse Cool is still around; wandering the tables and making sure people are enjoying things. Pricey, so not a regular kind of place, but good for occasions.Special Features:
- two star food at four star pricesJohnKDined on 10/2/2014This is a nice restaurant, very good ambiance. Perhaps we had a bad day. The salad had a very average dressing at best. Squash soup was excellent. The sardines were salty and horrible. The coho salmon average at best. Noise carries and there were several people talking loud. For $150, try Madera, also in Menlo Park. Underwelmed.Special Features:
- hidden gemgrundygastropubDined on 9/30/2014Tucked into what looks like an old strip mall is this hidden gem. four delicious courses showcasing local ingredients, pumpkin soup, Beet salad, fried green tomatoes and short ribs. Cocktails were great (lavender drop) and wines were reasonably priced.Special Features:
- Great birthday, great foodKennedldDined on 9/30/2014My mom and I took a cooking class with Jesse and this dining experience was an amazing extension of that. Fresh food, with a fresh twist!Special Features:
- impressive from start to finishcheesyDined on 9/28/2014Everything was done so well including service. Appetizers: Heirloom Salad, Grilled Sardines, Daily special Salmon (prepared like salmon sushi plus something that resembles Thai style green papaya salad Mains: Lamb (YUM), Chicken (YUMMMSSS) Dessert: Double Layer Chocolate Cake, Apple Pie, Sweet Corn Panna CottaSpecial Features:
- Anniversary DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/28/2014We had a fabulous evening at Flea Street to celebrate our first anniversary. The food, service and ambiance were excellent and we really had a special evening. Can't wait to go back. Corkage is steep at $30.Special Features:
- Delicious, the Flea St we lovescarlettosarahVIPDined on 9/27/2014We've been to Flea Street many times, and the food is always different and delicious. After having a less-than-ideal experience on our previous visit, the staff went out of their way to make sure that we had a great evening this time. The food didn't disappoint (fall vegetarian tasting in particular was seasonally fresh and a perfect blend of familiar and unfamiliar dishes), and our waiter and the restaurant manager were friendly and attentive. This was the Flea Street we know and love, and we look forward to coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GourmetDolceVIPDined on 9/26/2014This is a nice restaurant. The staff is very friendly. Service is very good. But the food, I am still after few years going to this restaurant try to find out what the chef is trying to do. The main courses ingredients never go together, the taste is good but I expect more from this restaurant. I usually order appetizers since they are better than main course. This is one of the rare restaurants that you will find local fresh sardines.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as good as expectedKG09Dined on 9/25/2014This restaurant has great reviews and comes highly recommended but I was disappointed in my meal. I had the halibut and it was ok. The pumpkin soup was good and the apple pie desert was a disappointment. The apple pie was 80% crust, 20% apple. Next time I will order their vegetable platter. Their vegetables were outstanding.
- Service is lackingHKdinningDined on 9/24/2014Came here for dinner with my girlfriend and another couple. The service was so slow, we sat down before others but still were the last to leave. When our friend went to ask why the service was so slow the waiter came over to us and complained to us that we were not happy customers. I was happy but dinner for 4 shouldn't take almost 3 hours!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JenniferPaloAltoDinerDined on 9/23/2014The braised short ribs were amazing! The mushroom ravioli was also very good.Special Features:
- Very disappointingAAF1Dined on 9/17/2014Old favorite now sharply changed for the worse. Overpriced, incredibly loud, some dishes ridiculously small, very poor selection of wines by the glass, with incredibly high prices. Years ago, Flea Street was a weekly destination, and an utter delight. Just returned this week, and it bears no resemblance to the charming establishment of the past. Will not be retuning.
- hearingdeafgirlDined on 9/16/2014Hi there. The table was perfect for me because I'm hearing impaired, but there were some extremely loud tables on Tuesday night. So even though it was a lovely dinner, I could not hear well. Perhaps next time I'll request an outside table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- our favorite neighbood restaurantQuailDined on 9/14/2014Within walking distance of our house, Flea Street is fabulous. The food, the service -- everything is such a pleasure. We have been fans of Jesse Cool since she ran Late for the Train 30 years ago.Special Features:
- Normally a 5* experience, but...scarlettosarahVIPDined on 9/6/2014Not this time. I'll start by saying Flea Street is our goto date night spot, but on our last visit, they were off their A game. Our table was right next to an exit, and parking car headlights shone right into our eyes through the door. My first course was missing a major ingredient, my husband's second course didn't arrive (when our entrees came, we asked, and they brought the second out of order), and we had to ask for another round of drinks (normally the waiters are more proactive/attentive). The food was still great, and they did comp the out of order second. But if it had been my first experience, I'm not sure I'd go back given the headlights and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always magicalPeninsulalocavoreDined on 9/5/2014Grapes from the owner's garden, cherry tomatoes from the kitchen garden, and refreshing creations with beautiful ingredients. There is always a special twist at Flea Street, as the food is original but not weird. Six people ordered different dishes, and there were no disappointments. I am not a vegetarian, but I often get the vegetarian sampler just to see what lovely things come out from the kitchen. Short ribs, chicken and sardines were standouts on our visit.Special Features:
- jimkVIPDined on 9/3/2014FSC continues to shine with interesting delicious food. Good indication is that we could have eaten multiple items on the menu.Special Features: