Flea Street Cafe
3607 Alameda de las Pulgas
Menlo Park, CA 94025Neighborhood:
CalifornianPrice: $31 to $50
Flea Street Cafe
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.cooleatz.com/
- Phone: 6508541226
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Sunday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm,
Reservations highly recommended.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Carlos Canada / Jesse Cool - Owner
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We have a full service fine dining catering company, offering menus similar to the menu at Flea Street for 50 to 500. Please call 650-325-2068. Our Director of Catering, Emily Martin, will be happy to assist you.
- Private Party Facilities: Our large party, private dining room can accommodate up to 22 guests. It is available Sunday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday evenings from 5:30 to 9:30
The minimum charge for the room is $2500 exclusive of tax and service charge. A special four course menu and wines will be chosen for your event.
We also have restaurant buy-out capabilities for groups up to 80 people.
For further information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Private Party Contact: Rika Zilant 6508541226
A word from Flea Street Cafe
Flea Street has been a Silicon Valley favorite since 1980. The atmosphere is contemporary, sophisticated and inviting, making it the perfect place to meet for cocktails, business meetings and private gatherings. Jesse Ziff Cool, along with her remarkable staff led by Executive Chef Carlos Canada, creates a dining experience that is nurturing, soulful and memorable. The menu is a celebration of the rich Northern California food community: seafood is caught in the nearby Pacific, produce is carefully sourced from local farms, meat is grass-fed or pasture-raised to name just a few. Flea Street offers innovative yet approachable cuisine that showcases the very best of the season. Our lively, yet intimate bar specializes in martinis and unique cocktails using small batch liquors. A large hand-selected wine list features the best of California’s extraordinary vineyards with an emphasis on the local appellation--the Santa Cruz Mountains.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
Flea Street Cafe - Best Restaurants in Menlo Park ›
Flea Street Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
169 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (137)neighborhood gem (116)special occasion (111)romantic (89)notable wine list (40)great for outdoor dining (25)hot spot (15)good for groups (10)vibrant bar scene (10)late-night find (5)great for lunch (4)kid-friendly (2)great for brunch (2)Show More
- Exquisite Food Right from the FarmfrequentDinerVIPDined on 10/19/2014Excellent sourcing, preparation and presentation of the food. My cocktail, “Spiced Ice Gin and Tonic”, was perfectly crafted. The wonderful spicey flavor remained unchanged throughout the appetizer and entree (about 1.5 hours). If you want a hint why, read the menu. When we return in January I hope it is still available. I had fried green tomatoes and the “Which Came First”, chicken and egg combo. I rarely order chicken in a restaurant. I am glad i did this time. My wife had the “Pan Roasted Black Cod”. I tasted it, and it was perfect. Next time I will order that, just for the change. I can't remember my wife's appetizer. The service was impeccable which included special requests. The price including deserts and coffee was about $200.Special Features:
- Flea Street CafeOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/16/2014Everything was perfect at this restaurant. The hostess let us choose a wonderful table. The servers were prompt without being pushy. The food was fabulous. We chose some of the specials, some from the menu and shared everything. Jesse, the chef, honored us by stopping at our table and chatting: lovely lady. The wine list was excellent.Special Features:
- Nice, quality experienceMunchingMarkVIPDined on 10/4/2014Had heard about this place for some time but finally had a chance to try it on Saturday. It has a great neighbor hood feel and each of the menu items was special. Everyone at the table ordered a different entree and we shared a few appetizers. The place is not a over-the-top foodie joint. It is just a great place to go for inventive, high-quality and delicious food. What's not to love? Service was great too. Efficient, not stuffy.Special Features:
- SnickDined on 10/3/2014An absolutely fabulous restaurant!! Superb food, service, and ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a placeKarenDined on 10/3/2014If you are yearning for learned, courteous, and professional service, beautifully presented, creative, and fresh food, in a comfortable, welcoming setting, you can't beat the Flea Street Cafe. Drove by for years (like 30 years) and never went in until this year. Will go back for special dinners. What a jewel.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- suevVIPDined on 10/2/2014last minute decision to go out and lucky to have availability. saw 3 other tables with friends. great neighborhood gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Limited menu, but all goodWontBeBackVIPDined on 10/2/2014Haven't been here in 20 years, but it's still excellent. All the food was tasty, innovative, & local. No complaints. Jesse Cool is still around; wandering the tables and making sure people are enjoying things. Pricey, so not a regular kind of place, but good for occasions.Special Features:
- two star food at four star pricesJohnKDined on 10/2/2014This is a nice restaurant, very good ambiance. Perhaps we had a bad day. The salad had a very average dressing at best. Squash soup was excellent. The sardines were salty and horrible. The coho salmon average at best. Noise carries and there were several people talking loud. For $150, try Madera, also in Menlo Park. Underwelmed.Special Features:
- hidden gemgrundygastropubDined on 9/30/2014Tucked into what looks like an old strip mall is this hidden gem. four delicious courses showcasing local ingredients, pumpkin soup, Beet salad, fried green tomatoes and short ribs. Cocktails were great (lavender drop) and wines were reasonably priced.Special Features:
- Great birthday, great foodKennedldDined on 9/30/2014My mom and I took a cooking class with Jesse and this dining experience was an amazing extension of that. Fresh food, with a fresh twist!Special Features:
- impressive from start to finishcheesyDined on 9/28/2014Everything was done so well including service. Appetizers: Heirloom Salad, Grilled Sardines, Daily special Salmon (prepared like salmon sushi plus something that resembles Thai style green papaya salad Mains: Lamb (YUM), Chicken (YUMMMSSS) Dessert: Double Layer Chocolate Cake, Apple Pie, Sweet Corn Panna CottaSpecial Features:
- Anniversary DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/28/2014We had a fabulous evening at Flea Street to celebrate our first anniversary. The food, service and ambiance were excellent and we really had a special evening. Can't wait to go back. Corkage is steep at $30.Special Features:
- Delicious, the Flea St we lovescarlettosarahVIPDined on 9/27/2014We've been to Flea Street many times, and the food is always different and delicious. After having a less-than-ideal experience on our previous visit, the staff went out of their way to make sure that we had a great evening this time. The food didn't disappoint (fall vegetarian tasting in particular was seasonally fresh and a perfect blend of familiar and unfamiliar dishes), and our waiter and the restaurant manager were friendly and attentive. This was the Flea Street we know and love, and we look forward to coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GourmetDolceVIPDined on 9/26/2014This is a nice restaurant. The staff is very friendly. Service is very good. But the food, I am still after few years going to this restaurant try to find out what the chef is trying to do. The main courses ingredients never go together, the taste is good but I expect more from this restaurant. I usually order appetizers since they are better than main course. This is one of the rare restaurants that you will find local fresh sardines.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as good as expectedKG09Dined on 9/25/2014This restaurant has great reviews and comes highly recommended but I was disappointed in my meal. I had the halibut and it was ok. The pumpkin soup was good and the apple pie desert was a disappointment. The apple pie was 80% crust, 20% apple. Next time I will order their vegetable platter. Their vegetables were outstanding.
- JenniferPaloAltoDinerDined on 9/23/2014The braised short ribs were amazing! The mushroom ravioli was also very good.Special Features:
- Very disappointingAAF1Dined on 9/17/2014Old favorite now sharply changed for the worse. Overpriced, incredibly loud, some dishes ridiculously small, very poor selection of wines by the glass, with incredibly high prices. Years ago, Flea Street was a weekly destination, and an utter delight. Just returned this week, and it bears no resemblance to the charming establishment of the past. Will not be retuning.
- hearingdeafgirlDined on 9/16/2014Hi there. The table was perfect for me because I'm hearing impaired, but there were some extremely loud tables on Tuesday night. So even though it was a lovely dinner, I could not hear well. Perhaps next time I'll request an outside table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- our favorite neighbood restaurantQuailDined on 9/14/2014Within walking distance of our house, Flea Street is fabulous. The food, the service -- everything is such a pleasure. We have been fans of Jesse Cool since she ran Late for the Train 30 years ago.Special Features:
- Normally a 5* experience, but...scarlettosarahVIPDined on 9/6/2014Not this time. I'll start by saying Flea Street is our goto date night spot, but on our last visit, they were off their A game. Our table was right next to an exit, and parking car headlights shone right into our eyes through the door. My first course was missing a major ingredient, my husband's second course didn't arrive (when our entrees came, we asked, and they brought the second out of order), and we had to ask for another round of drinks (normally the waiters are more proactive/attentive). The food was still great, and they did comp the out of order second. But if it had been my first experience, I'm not sure I'd go back given the headlights and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always magicalPeninsulalocavoreDined on 9/5/2014Grapes from the owner's garden, cherry tomatoes from the kitchen garden, and refreshing creations with beautiful ingredients. There is always a special twist at Flea Street, as the food is original but not weird. Six people ordered different dishes, and there were no disappointments. I am not a vegetarian, but I often get the vegetarian sampler just to see what lovely things come out from the kitchen. Short ribs, chicken and sardines were standouts on our visit.Special Features:
- jimkVIPDined on 9/3/2014FSC continues to shine with interesting delicious food. Good indication is that we could have eaten multiple items on the menu.Special Features:
- Best organic restaurantShellyVIPDined on 9/2/2014Local food partners and high quality entrees. You also never leave hungry. Very impressed with the decor and ambiance that makes you feel like you're in a an upscale but very friendly environment.Special Features:
- Consistently good foodkyCAVIPDined on 8/31/2014Food and service have been both notable. I've come back several times this year to Flea Street, and I have been delighted by the food and the service.Special Features:
- Outstanding food,cocktails&service!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/28/2014Wonderful service! OUTSTANDING tomato, peach & burrata salad. Unbelievably good. The avocado cocktail is unusual and wonderful. Highly recommend!Special Features:
- always very homeyHallifDined on 8/27/2014The food is excellent and the service is beyond excellent. I always feel so relaxed when I am there.Special Features:
- OutstandingAnnieVIPDined on 8/27/2014We always enjoy our meal at Flea Sreet. The food and the service are just outstanding! This will continue to be our "go to" place to celebrate special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fav peninsula restaurant to date.PenNewbiesDined on 8/23/2014We are relocated SF foodies, and we really enjoyed our meals at Flea Street. + Front of house service could be more polished (even with our reservation, they seemed unprepared for our arrival). They should have sent us to the bar for a drink, rather than have us stand around the entry way to listen to them work things out. + the food was excellent, and the server attentive. + even with an 8 p.m. reservation, they ran out of the best sounding desserts on the menu! (So we didn't order dessert). The food was so excellent up to the dessert course that we'll give you one more chance to not run out of the good stuff, Flea Street.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Flea street always the BEST!NanciVIPDined on 8/15/2014Jesse Cool, the Owner visits every table. The first small appetizer is always from her backyard!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific food; attentive servicelocalfoodieDined on 8/14/2014Really enjoyed the last couple of meals at Flea Street. Love the neighborhood cafe ambiance, the creative list of mixed drinks, the really terrific food and thoughtful service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- cootDined on 8/10/2014Food and beverages overall were excellent. We had short ribs, but they weren't quite as flavorful as we experienced in a previous visit. There are several rooms. WE had requested seating in the rear room, but were seated in the front, just by the kitchen. VERY busy and NOISY.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First Time Dining at Flea StreetoceguedaDined on 8/2/2014I'm from the area and have always heard great things about Flea Street but I had never made it in until this last weekend. Reading open table reviews I was expecting some awesome service..... that was not the case. We got seated right away for our reservation. We were greeted by a bus boy with water and the about 5 mins later for the server. Instead of the normal greet, specials and drinks we got I first time? oh nice. Before I tell you about food what do you want to drink? and then throughout the evening we were not checked on. When I needed something I had a wait for a long time just to get someones attention. The service was not "bad" but it wasn't great by any means.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ingredient centered menuhungrygrannyDined on 8/2/2014All organic, local sourced ingredients that change seasonally even daily . lovely, careful preparation to let the flavor of the ingredients shine through. Inauspicious location, and simple, homely interior some might find disappointing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh but priceyOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 8/1/2014Fresh food, attractively prepared. The menu has three tiers (first, second, third course), with ascending prices. The second course offerings (which is what we had, given that the third course offerings were priced at $30-$40) were very tasty but portions were small. Located a bit out-of-the-way in Menlo Park.Special Features:
- Tasty, organic, Californian cuisinefcourtDined on 7/31/2014Excellent place for a tasty dinner, within the area our best pick (not many options for quality food, up there with Evvia). We loved everything, only downside is price as it's not cheap but certainly worth trying. Great attention to detail with a not too formal (but attentive) service.Special Features:
- continued excellencefoodthoughtsVIPDined on 7/30/2014I have been going to Flea Street a few times a year for very special occasions for more than a decade. We have never been disappointed. The continually changing menu has always been innovative. The food looks and tastes wonderful. The service spectacular. Its amazing they have maintained such a high level of quality for so many years.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As always...spectacularshmuelyosefDined on 7/30/2014This restaurant is our 'go to' for special occasions. At the top of my list for locally sourced awesome food, wine and setting. Always celebrating what is currently in season, from premiere organic suppliers, I have never been less than delighted. My wife and I rarely eat meat, but for some reason we both ordered beef...my wife's short ribs were 'melt in your mouth' and succulent and my filet mignon (first steak I have eaten in years) was prepared perfectly with delicious side dishes (it was the special of the day...these are always a treat).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodieeatwellDined on 7/24/2014Food was excellent, fresh, seasonal, and more than creative. It can be noisy, but its part of the lively upbeat ambience. We will certainly return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WhalerDined on 7/23/2014Absolutely prefect service. Food is delightful. They have special magic with vegetables so that, no matter what you order, the veggies will be the star of the show.Special Features:
- A conversation starterTalkerDined on 7/23/2014The best part of the restaurant was the fact that a competent staff and the lack of anoying secondary noise (e.g. music), made it a great place for real conversation, personal or business. This is desired but rare these days. In fact, your questions in section 2 above reflect the latter, as there are no possibility to select a "good for conversation" field, instead it is "vibrant bar scene" or "hot spot"???? A meal is a great occasion for talking business, but not accompanied by an impenetreable wall of noice. The food was tasty, and I applaud the use of fresh, local ingredients. However, my lamb meat balls were fattier than hoped for. A leaner choice of meat would have pushed it to 5 stars for food.I would recommend this to a friend.