Flea Street Cafe
3607 Alameda de las Pulgas
Menlo Park, CA 94025Neighborhood:
CalifornianPrice: $31 to $50
Flea Street Cafe
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.cooleatz.com/
- Phone: 6508541226
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Sunday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm,
Reservations highly recommended.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Carlos Canada / Jesse Cool - Owner
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We have a full service fine dining catering company, offering menus similar to the menu at Flea Street for 50 to 500. Please call 650-325-2068. Our Director of Catering, Emily Martin, will be happy to assist you.
- Private Party Facilities: Our large party, private dining room can accommodate up to 22 guests. It is available Sunday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday evenings from 5:30 to 9:30
The minimum charge for the room is $2500 exclusive of tax and service charge. A special four course menu and wines will be chosen for your event.
We also have restaurant buy-out capabilities for groups up to 80 people.
For further information, please email email@example.com
- Private Party Contact: Rika Zilant 6508541226
A word from Flea Street Cafe
Flea Street has been a Silicon Valley favorite since 1980. The atmosphere is contemporary, sophisticated and inviting, making it the perfect place to meet for cocktails, business meetings and private gatherings. Jesse Ziff Cool, along with her remarkable staff led by Executive Chef Carlos Canada, creates a dining experience that is nurturing, soulful and memorable. The menu is a celebration of the rich Northern California food community: seafood is caught in the nearby Pacific, produce is carefully sourced from local farms, meat is grass-fed or pasture-raised to name just a few. Flea Street offers innovative yet approachable cuisine that showcases the very best of the season. Our lively, yet intimate bar specializes in martinis and unique cocktails using small batch liquors. A large hand-selected wine list features the best of California’s extraordinary vineyards with an emphasis on the local appellation--the Santa Cruz Mountains.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerCalifornian
Flea Street Cafe - Best Restaurants in Menlo Park ›
Flea Street Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
162 reviews since May 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (127)special occasion (115)neighborhood gem (103)romantic (88)notable wine list (37)great for outdoor dining (22)hot spot (13)good for groups (9)vibrant bar scene (8)late-night find (4)great for brunch (4)kid-friendly (4)great for lunch (3)scenic view (1)Show More
- Outstanding food,cocktails&service!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/28/2014Wonderful service! OUTSTANDING tomato, peach & burrata salad. Unbelievably good. The avocado cocktail is unusual and wonderful. Highly recommend!Special Features:
- always very homeyHallifDined on 8/27/2014The food is excellent and the service is beyond excellent. I always feel so relaxed when I am there.Special Features:
- OutstandingAnnieVIPDined on 8/27/2014We always enjoy our meal at Flea Sreet. The food and the service are just outstanding! This will continue to be our "go to" place to celebrate special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fav peninsula restaurant to date.PenNewbiesDined on 8/23/2014We are relocated SF foodies, and we really enjoyed our meals at Flea Street. + Front of house service could be more polished (even with our reservation, they seemed unprepared for our arrival). They should have sent us to the bar for a drink, rather than have us stand around the entry way to listen to them work things out. + the food was excellent, and the server attentive. + even with an 8 p.m. reservation, they ran out of the best sounding desserts on the menu! (So we didn't order dessert). The food was so excellent up to the dessert course that we'll give you one more chance to not run out of the good stuff, Flea Street.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Flea street always the BEST!NanciVIPDined on 8/15/2014Jesse Cool, the Owner visits every table. The first small appetizer is always from her backyard!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific food; attentive servicelocalfoodieDined on 8/14/2014Really enjoyed the last couple of meals at Flea Street. Love the neighborhood cafe ambiance, the creative list of mixed drinks, the really terrific food and thoughtful service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- cootDined on 8/10/2014Food and beverages overall were excellent. We had short ribs, but they weren't quite as flavorful as we experienced in a previous visit. There are several rooms. WE had requested seating in the rear room, but were seated in the front, just by the kitchen. VERY busy and NOISY.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First Time Dining at Flea StreetoceguedaDined on 8/2/2014I'm from the area and have always heard great things about Flea Street but I had never made it in until this last weekend. Reading open table reviews I was expecting some awesome service..... that was not the case. We got seated right away for our reservation. We were greeted by a bus boy with water and the about 5 mins later for the server. Instead of the normal greet, specials and drinks we got I first time? oh nice. Before I tell you about food what do you want to drink? and then throughout the evening we were not checked on. When I needed something I had a wait for a long time just to get someones attention. The service was not "bad" but it wasn't great by any means.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ingredient centered menuhungrygrannyDined on 8/2/2014All organic, local sourced ingredients that change seasonally even daily . lovely, careful preparation to let the flavor of the ingredients shine through. Inauspicious location, and simple, homely interior some might find disappointing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh but priceyOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 8/1/2014Fresh food, attractively prepared. The menu has three tiers (first, second, third course), with ascending prices. The second course offerings (which is what we had, given that the third course offerings were priced at $30-$40) were very tasty but portions were small. Located a bit out-of-the-way in Menlo Park.Special Features:
- Tasty, organic, Californian cuisinefcourtDined on 7/31/2014Excellent place for a tasty dinner, within the area our best pick (not many options for quality food, up there with Evvia). We loved everything, only downside is price as it's not cheap but certainly worth trying. Great attention to detail with a not too formal (but attentive) service.Special Features:
- continued excellencefoodthoughtsVIPDined on 7/30/2014I have been going to Flea Street a few times a year for very special occasions for more than a decade. We have never been disappointed. The continually changing menu has always been innovative. The food looks and tastes wonderful. The service spectacular. Its amazing they have maintained such a high level of quality for so many years.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As always...spectacularshmuelyosefDined on 7/30/2014This restaurant is our 'go to' for special occasions. At the top of my list for locally sourced awesome food, wine and setting. Always celebrating what is currently in season, from premiere organic suppliers, I have never been less than delighted. My wife and I rarely eat meat, but for some reason we both ordered beef...my wife's short ribs were 'melt in your mouth' and succulent and my filet mignon (first steak I have eaten in years) was prepared perfectly with delicious side dishes (it was the special of the day...these are always a treat).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodieeatwellDined on 7/24/2014Food was excellent, fresh, seasonal, and more than creative. It can be noisy, but its part of the lively upbeat ambience. We will certainly return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WhalerDined on 7/23/2014Absolutely prefect service. Food is delightful. They have special magic with vegetables so that, no matter what you order, the veggies will be the star of the show.Special Features:
- A conversation starterTalkerDined on 7/23/2014The best part of the restaurant was the fact that a competent staff and the lack of anoying secondary noise (e.g. music), made it a great place for real conversation, personal or business. This is desired but rare these days. In fact, your questions in section 2 above reflect the latter, as there are no possibility to select a "good for conversation" field, instead it is "vibrant bar scene" or "hot spot"???? A meal is a great occasion for talking business, but not accompanied by an impenetreable wall of noice. The food was tasty, and I applaud the use of fresh, local ingredients. However, my lamb meat balls were fattier than hoped for. A leaner choice of meat would have pushed it to 5 stars for food.I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Winelist out of dateEdwinDined on 7/20/2014One of the attractions to this restaurant was the pricing on the winelist displayed by OpenTable. I did notice that there was some inconsistency between it and the wine list on the restaurant's, but figured that the OpenTable list was reliable. Turned out it was not. When I noted that the Ramey Chardonnay was $62 on the OpenTable list as compared to $112 on the restaurant's, our server said "Oh, that OpenTable winelist is at least five years old." So, knock off a couple of stars off the overall value and experience at Flea Street Cafe given its somewhat high price for the Ramey, but a "Poor" rating goes to OpenTable for its outdated wine list. I am rather astounded that this could happen, the more I think about it.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently OutstandingcalialiroseVIPDined on 7/15/2014Flea Street Cafe is one of the top restaurants on the peninsula and arguably in the Bay Area. The food is locally sourced and prepared with such care so as to honor seasonal flavors. The service is excellent, timely, knowledgeable and friendly. Jesse Cool and her partner and head chef Carlos are consistently excellent and delightfully surprising in their menu selections. Flea also plays as the home turf restaurant to many of the Valley's biggest tech entrepreneurs and hitters so, you might rub elbows with some of the technorati but in an environment that is totally low key and understated. This place is a pleasure.Special Features:
- MargauxDined on 7/13/2014Always a pleasure to return to Flea Street Café as a restaurant that cares about it's organic, local and sustainably sourced ingredients. Presentation every bit as important as the flavors they bring to the palate.Special Features:
- BWILDDined on 7/12/2014Meal was wonderful -- very unusual dishes. Felt like I was eating something new at each course. Lots of good choices, some of the good ones were the prawn/corn salad, filled squash blossoms, lamb meatballs, vegetable sampler (main dish), and the flourless chocolate cake. And we could have eaten more than 2 biscuits each (if we'd had enough room!). Great meal, would definitely come here again. Pricey but you get what you pay for!Special Features:
- Flea street was fantastic!BwhiteDined on 7/11/2014Great local fresh California cuisine, no fuss service. Juliana and staff very courteous, and professional. Will be back for sureSpecial Features:
- Best dining we've found locallyPaulieDined on 7/9/2014Every part of our meal was exceptional; from the seasonal vegetable sampler to the spare rib entre, which cut like butter and was perfectly spiced. We were seated as soon as our reservation time arrived, and Jesse, the owner and head chef, stopped by our table and chatted us up like we were old friends. I suppose they ask everyone, but it was a pleasant surprise to be queried by the wait-staff whether we were celebrating anything (it happened to be our anniversary). For dessert (unordered) they brought us a couple of little cakes with burning candles leaning against each other - just a nice touch. The only thing we thought we might like to change was the stilted, scripted-sounding patter of our waiter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointslxticsVIPDined on 7/9/2014I've been coming to Flea Street since it opened back in the 1980s, and it remains completely reliable. Imaginative food, wonderfully presented, and the service is excellent. At least "upstairs," it's even quite enough for a conversation, a rarity these days.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Birthday DinnerDiningOutDined on 7/8/2014This was our second dinner at Flea Street. We have been very happy with everything about the restaurant both times. The food was great, and the service matched. The menu has just enough variety to make one pause for a while to ponder the choices, but not so many choices as to make it difficult to decide. I had the Salmon special and my wife had the short rib. Both were magnificent, perfectly cooked and delicious. Altogether, we were very pleased with the meal, from the bread served before the meal to the dessert and after dinner drinks. The servers were attentive, but not intrusive and did their best to make the whole evening a great experience.Special Features:
- Right in our own backyard!SalllyDined on 7/5/2014Flea Street has been open more than 25 years and we just discovered it! We were very impressed with the freshness and presentation of the food. There were four of us and all were happy with their selections. One of our guests was hoping for a steak, so that might be a good addition to the menu. All of us are looking forward to a return visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SuperbAndThenVIPDined on 7/5/2014Flea Street Cafe has been around sine the 80s and has maintained its excellence. The people are lovely, the atmosphere perfect and the food is outstanding. Our favorite restaurant in the Bay Area.Special Features:
- Lovely and cute spotkyCAVIPDined on 7/3/2014I love the fact that Jessie would come by to say hi to her customers. But the wait staff needs a little more training on service. On my last visit, our waitress kept taking away our menus. She removed our menus right after we ordered appetizers. Didn't ask if we wanted to order any entrees. We had to ask to keep our menus. When we mentioned we were ready to order entrees, she took our menus from us before we ordered. We had to tilt our heads to look at the menu while ordering. Are they short on menus? At the end of the night, she placed the (large) bag containing our leftovers right in the middle of our (2-person) table, effectively blocking our views of each other. Better wait staff would go a long way. The food was great though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner with Out-of-town friendsLuvqualitydiningDined on 7/3/2014We loved introducing old Stanford grads to FSC, now living in Chicago to FSC. They loved it! The Peach salad had 2 of us swooning. A little less successful was the Ricotta Ngocchi. A little too oily and spicy for my taste, and my friend's as well. So glad FSC is here on the Peninsula! Must add the ease of parking to it's pluses, although it's the food, service, and ambience that bring us back time and again.Special Features:
- Charming first visitOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 6/27/2014Flea Street Cafe has been open for several decades, but it was my first time eating there. From the tasty fresh apricot and squash morsels to the choc are truffle, everything was artfully presented and prepared, particularly the beet salad. I enjoyed the lamb loin as a starter. The gnocchi were the true ideal soft pillows in texture with subtle flavor. Masumoto Suncrest peach pie with creamy vanilla ice cream were also true to form.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a winner!KnanDined on 6/25/2014Special occasion? Flea St Cafe is our go-to place. Starting with exceptional cocktails; simple, fresh and interesting appetizers (fresh oysters, peaches with prosciutto, tomato salad with pistachio and more); onto more small plate options (smoked trout) or entrees (vegetarian tasting was the winner here) and ending with a peach pie and port. All delicious! Oh, yes, and the vino. We always get Ehlers. Check them out. Happy eatingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious beautiful presentationAshcanDined on 6/24/2014I haven't been to Flea Street Cafe in years and years- but Oprah and Bill Clinton have! In any event, I was with my mother and 6 year old son on a last minute "Lets treat ourselves to a wonderful dinner" kind of night and Flea Street delivered. Everything was beautifully presented and the flavors were truly the kind only seasoned and inventive chefs manage to conjure up. We are lucky to have something so exquisite in the neighborhood! Service was wonderful and we really enjoyed ourselves!Special Features:
- Always a favoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/20/2014We especially like Flea Street for special occasions - special food and great service. Nice that it is right in our neighborhood!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic experienceDianaJDined on 6/18/2014I brought my mother-in-law here for a birthday dinner while she was at the VA Blind Rehab in Menlo Park. She lives in Yountville and so she is used to some pretty amazing restuarants. We were both completely delighted with the delicious food. What a find! Our meals were excellent, and we were even treated to some extra delights. I'll definitely be back if I'm in the area!Special Features:
- AWESOME!!LuuuDined on 6/15/2014My meal was possibly the best tasting meal that I have EVER had. I started with a Lavender Lemon Drop (cocktail) which was amazing! I will be making them at home. The presentation of the cocktail was even perfect! I selected the Warm Spinach Salad which was perfect in every way! My main course was Halibut served on a bed of Beat Mashed Potatoes... So SO SOOOO delicious. We all loved our meals. Loved the local fruit served as a pre-appitizer... We were treated with a chocolate truffle after our meal. A Simply Perfect Meal!! I must say though, that it was pretty pricey! The price would keep me from going too often and would likely keep this as a special occasion treat!Special Features:
- Wonderful Graduation Celebration!seasons52Dined on 6/14/2014Loved this place - the food was divine...only downside was the odd server, but his quirkiness was charming overall.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious Flea StreetMommaKDined on 6/11/2014The flavors at flea street are incredible. Jesse Cool pairs unusual flavors to make outrageous food combinations. the smoked trout first course, is the perfect example of this. The buttermilk biscuits they serve before dinner are also incredibly buttery, and a favorite that we can't get enough of. In our most recent experience I found the service to not have good timing on food, but we have been there so many times, and usually have incredible service, so it was probably just a really busy night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Jewel of The NeighborhoodGediDined on 6/8/2014Flea Street Cafe is wonderful place to end the day. A quiet, unassuming presence that belies what awaits inside: lovely ambience, fabulous food, and friendly staff.Special Features:
- always a pleasurefoodfanDined on 6/1/2014great food, great service. Flea Street never disappoints, from the fabulous bar, to the elite service to the devine food. A delight in every way!Special Features:
- Very pleasant dinnerCalgourmetVIPDined on 5/31/2014We sat outside on Friday evening and really enjoyed the food, service, and ambience. The halibut special was very tasty as was the smoked trout. Good wine list with a range of prices. We will go back. One note about the menu though. When I looked at the menu on Open Table, I saw first course, second course, third course, and assumed it was a prix fix menu. It is not. It was my mistake, but I thought others may make the same faulty assumption.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor service ruins experiencenonameVIPDined on 5/23/2014We love this restaurant and the food, as always, was great. However, I was surprised by the extent to which the service, which bordered on rude, could ruin the experience of an otherwise lovely dinner.Special Features: