Flat Iron Tapas Bar and Lounge-Bulfinch Hotel
107 Merrimac Street
Boston, MA 02114Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Flat Iron Tapas Bar and Lounge-Bulfinch Hotel
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.flatironboston.com/
- Phone: 6177782900
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Sunday: 7:00am - 11:00am; Dinner Nightly: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Henrique Bozetti
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Contact the Chef Henrique Bozetti at 857-236-0709.
- Cross Street: Causeway
- Public Transit: We are located off of the Orange and Green lines Haymarket and North Station. We are also near Blue line Government Center.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Street parking is available. The Government Center Garage and Longfellow Garage are just a few steps away from The Flat Iron restaurant and are open to the public.
A word from Flat Iron Tapas Bar and Lounge-Bulfinch Hotel
Located in Downtown Boston's Bulfinch Hotel is the critically acclaimed Flat Iron Tapas Bar & Lounge. Join the Downtown North area restaurant crowd for drinks and plates. The world background music - Portuguese, Spanish and French has been called "tres chic" by the Boston Globe. We offer our own spin of the classic cocktails.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Flat Iron Tapas Bar and Lounge-Bulfinch Hotel reviews from OpenTable diners
- Yummy BreakfastBostonChloeDined on 12/20/2012attentive service; great tasting creative food but portions could be a little bigger (was there for breakfast, the burrito wss great but some potatoes or something with it would have been nice!)great coffee!Special Features:
- The food was good but notOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/9/2012The food was good but not outstanding. The service was not good. Our on-line reservation was not visible in their system. Nonetheless, it was an extremely slow time so we had no problem getting a table. We had ordered two drinks at the bar but then our table was ready as soon as they arrived. The drinks could not be transferred so we had to pay for them at the bar. It seemed it was more a matter of the bartender making sure he got his proper tip. As slow as it was, the waiter was not prompt, he tipped over a glass of ceviche at the table and rather than leaving the half that was still left for us to enjoy he took that away while he got a replacement.
- Tasty But Not OverwhelminglySpanishOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/21/2012The service was excellent. The waiter was very friendly and accomodating. The chef even came out and greeted us. We enjoyed the service. However, by the restaurant name and the website, I was expecting it to have a more Spanish menu and ambiance. The food was tasty and we enjoyed it, however for the price and the online build up I was expecting something different. Could stand to increase the variety of tapas a little.
- Failed to meet expectationsOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/18/2012Service was good, staff was nice, but food was very disappointing for the price.
- Drinks took forever to come.OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/2/2012Drinks took forever to come. Tapas menu has been so cut down as to no longer be attractive. Food that was ordered was okay, not bad, not exceptionally good, and not a great value for the money. I have been going to this restaurant for years before Celtics games. I will no longer be doing so.
- Well, it's a bar. NothingRandyJVIPDined on 10/24/2012Well, it's a bar. Nothing wrong with that but for some reason the website indicted it was slightly more than a bar. It's a nice bar. The spicy ambassador was nice but the caprese needed some spirit. Service was admirably plucky.
- Overall a let down. Had interestIngOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/11/2012Overall a let down. Had interestIng tapas menu online but actual menu had only a few tapas items. Food had some potential but failed in execution. Spicy shrimp tapas was excellent but served with slices of stale bread. Mushroom tapenade was also worth trying. We were only ones in reaturant during dinner. Not up to the potential of a good tapas resturant.
- Food was great, service wasOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/4/2012Food was great, service was a bit "relaxed", and the noise level was a bit high. Great spot to grab a quick bite prior to an event at TD Garden.Special Features:
- The place was small and cleanOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/4/2012The place was small and clean and staff was very friendly. The food they offered was good, but the menu was extremely limited. In my opinion, a good place for appetizers and drinks, not a meal.
- The noise level was just awfulWeOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/3/2012The noise level was just awfulWe couldn't hear ourselves talk.It was very loud rock music, geared for teenagersWould never go there again
- Food was average. settingOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/29/2012Food was average. setting was so so. We went before the coldplay concert so it was a perfect location though it unfortunately left a lot to be desired.
- We were excited to try thisOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/28/2012We were excited to try this restaurant after hearing good reviews from friends. We went online to look at the menu & were excited to try their tapas. The online menu showed a selection of 15-20 tapas. We walked in & there were only 2 people, already a bad sign. Was greeted by a friendly server who promptly brought menus..... To our surprise their menu was drastically different from their online menu. The actual menu maybe had 6 tapas to choose from & maybe 4-5 entrees. Total disappointment!! We kept looking around like we were missing something. We got the attention of the server who explained they hadn't updated the online menu. We left and went somewhere else. The new menu is more bar appetizers than "tapas".
- great food, service and atmosphere-OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/17/2012great food, service and atmosphere- 2 buddies in town from Chicago-they loved the place we will be back all the bestSpecial Features:
- We were the only customers.awt3rdDined on 7/15/2012We were the only customers. a table for six-they served 3 of us and it took another 15 minutes to serve the others. It is not a tapas bar anymore. the menu has been changed.
- Service was great - food wasOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/23/2012Service was great - food was ok to lousy. Very spicy.
- Americanized tapas- felt moreOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/9/2012Americanized tapas- felt more like comfort bar food in small portions. Part of the hotel, decent food. We went on a weeknight and it was pretty quiet. Friendly staff. TV for watching sports if you want. If you're in the neighborhood, it's fine for a quick bite to eat, but wouldn't go out of the way just to eat here.
- It was a good place to stopjuliagray43Dined on 6/7/2012It was a good place to stop before heading to the TD Garden.
- I can't comment on the experience,Eat4FunDined on 5/4/2012I can't comment on the experience, since we didn't have one. I had made a reservation, and received a confirmation. But we arrived at the restaurant at the time (a little early actually) and were told that the restaurant was not open at the time our reservation was for. OpenTable member services folks were helpful and sorry about the mixup, willing to compensate for the mistake. Flat Iron staff at the restaurant were not as friendly about it. Grrr.
- I would say the place wasGoodBWkng1Dined on 4/30/2012I would say the place was average and not much of tru Tapas place. The shrimp dish I had was okay but the shrimp were a not very flavored with the sauce. The bread was really hard which came on the plate. The crab cakes did not taste fresh and did not seem like a Tapas item. I expected more from the description. I might try this again but not sure. The wine was okay.Special Features:
- Great spot for dinner andOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/24/2012Great spot for dinner and drinks! We arrived before a Celtics game and our server Alex made sure we were in and out in time for the game. Service was excellent and the food was fantastic! Highly recommend! :)Special Features:
- The Flatiron wasn't open forOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 4/16/2012The Flatiron wasn't open for lunch so I can't comment on food, service, etc. They did call in advance to alert me that they wouldn't be able to honor the reservation.
- Worst service EVER!!!!!!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/30/2012We had to wait 15 min to get a drink after been seated right away.it took the waitress another 20 min to take our order.and to top all that it took 40 MIN FOR THE FOOD TO BE SERVED!! IN MY OPINION THEY SHOULD NOT BE AN OPTION FOR THE NEXT RESTAURANT WEEK!!
- Slow and just o.k.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/30/2012Server was pleasant. Restaurant hardly had anyone in it on a Friday during restaurant week ( a sign??). Took over an hour to bring out 2 basic tapas and then 45 mins from then to bring out the subsequent orders. As mentioned in other reviews, the slow service is extremely painful. The food is ok, not bad, not great....it's ok. Not overly expensive but service and food quality should be better. I probably would not go back.
- Good, but too pricy for the qualityOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/30/2012The food was delicious, the server was prompt and kind. But the food came out excessively slow and considering it was a tapas bar, we were starving. I received all my items before my boyfriend got one of his. The menu was very expensive for the quality and quantity of food. I love tapas and I don't mind the size, but they need bigger flavors here! We went during restaurant week and therefore got a better food deal.Special Features:
- go for a drink, not a mealOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/29/2012The ambiance was OK, and the menu was OK, they had some interesting tapas dishes…but I wouldn't recommend this restaurant overall. The service, though friendly, was preposterously slow for how empty the restaurant was. Each time someone ordered a drink it took 20 minutes for it to reach the table. The food was tasty but ultimately unremarkable - I had a simple arugula salad with shaved parmesan and a lemon balsamic dressing that was good, but it was pretty bare-bone. As in, it had arugula and cheese. Bottom line? It might be a nice quiet, interesting place to sit at the bar and have a drink and a small dish with a friend, but it's not worth the money and the food isn't good enough to go for an outing.
- Flat Iron is an upscale optionLumpyDined on 3/29/2012Flat Iron is an upscale option to all the bar type food near the Garden. Service was a little slow at first, but once we engaged the server she was attentive. Plantains were not very good. The araricina was very good.Special Features:
- DON"T GO HERE!OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 3/26/2012TERRIBLE experience. Made a reservation before heading to see Bruce at the Garden. Got there 5 minutes early. After waiting about 5 minutes for the hostess to greet us, she told us that she had given our table to someone earlier but told them they would have to leave when we arrived, and that it should only be a few minutes. We grabbed a drink at the bar (standing) and waited for about half an hour before getting fed up and leaving without ever having been seated. The hostess apologized, but she seemed overmatched for the job. Overall they seemed very understaffed. Food looked OK but we didn't get any so we can't rate it. We will NEVER go back. I would give zero stars if possible.
- Great menu, lots of choices.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/22/2012Great menu, lots of choices. Drinks were on the pricey side, but it is Boston. Overall great experience.Special Features:
- Amazing food and drinks, butOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/16/2012Amazing food and drinks, but the service was pretty slow. I'd highly recommend the sangria and chicken curry dish. The calamari and french fries were also delicious.Special Features:
- Highly recommended!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/11/2012Food was excellent and service was great as well. Waittress was freindly and didnt hover even though we were the only 2 ppl in the place when we arrived.Special Features:
- Wonderful for tapas and aBostonDined on 3/9/2012Wonderful for tapas and a drink. Casual and leisurely with nice ambianceSpecial Features:
- Great find!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/7/2012We went here before seeing a show at the TD North Garden. Overall great dinner. We got the wings special, I think 35cent/wing, which were delicious! Also got the Tres Amigos, and the Gamba. Food was great. Environment is quaint, not too big, which makes it easy to have a conversation with your date. The martini was delicous. I would recommend as a great place to eat just before an event at the Garden. Wouldn't be appropriate for larger groups or families, more for 2-4 people out on the town.Special Features:
- Don't waste your timeOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 3/2/2012This was our first time at Flat Irons and probably the last. We were heading to the Celtics game and were looking for a different sort of place for dinner and thought this place would be a nice change from pub food. The service was extremely slow and the food was average. We ordered the risotto balls where I was hard pressed to find the risotto inside. Without the funky sauce they would have been very bland. I would not recommend this place. You will be better off grabbing a sandwich at a pub.
- This is not a lively tapasOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/18/2012This is not a lively tapas bar, you have better look elsewhere to find a fun and spanish atmosphere. Tapas are too sophisticated to be considered as real tapas, but not enough to be considered as fine dishes. Finally, it is too expensive for the overall service.Special Features:
- The food was sub-par. I orderedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/14/2012The food was sub-par. I ordered chicken and it was probably the most rubbery chicken I've ever eaten. Also their Valentine's day special included steak which was so plain it was like eating cardboard. Lastly, they didn't have any steak knifes. How do you serve steak with no steak knives available? Worse $125 I've ever spent.Special Features:
- A really nice find; Our serverOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/10/2012A really nice find; Our server Alex was more than accommodating as ordered course after course after course. It is tapas, you know!Special Features:
- There are fewer tables nowOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 1/18/2012There are fewer tables now than there used to be and the place no longer seems like a happening place. The food is good but not great. The location near the TD Banknorth Garden is the only reason I go there, but I am going to look for alternatives as this place seems stale.
- the best place to eat in theLuv2cookVIPDined on 1/6/2012the best place to eat in the neighborhood before a TD Garden event. But the restaurant part is small and there is only one table for six so groups are a problem. the crab cake wasn't great but the garlic shrimp, calamari with andouille and kobe sliders and meatballs were all very good. extremely attentive wait staff and good but limited wine list.Special Features:
- MehpickyeaterinbostonDined on 12/11/2011I have been here twice and each time the place was empty. Because of this we were well attened to and the food came out promptly but I missed the hum of fellow diners. The fries were delicious but everything else was just ok.Special Features:
- Food was ok but service wasOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/18/2011Food was ok but service was slow. had to ask for our drinks twice.Special Features: