Flat Iron Steak & Saloon
808 King Street
Alexandria, VA 22314Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Flat Iron Steak & Saloon
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.flatironkingstreet.com/
- Phone: 7032990777x
- Hours of Operation:
Mon-Thu 11:30 am - 1:00 am
Fri 11:30 am - 2:00 am
Sat 10:30 am - 2:00 am
Sun 10:30am - 1:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Mike Cordero
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
A word from Flat Iron Steak & Saloon
Flat Iron Steak & Saloon is a new concept on King Street in Old Town, Alexandria. Serving affordable, juicy steaks and American fare. Please enjoy our downstairs dining room or have a drink upstairs in the saloon.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Flat Iron Steak & Saloon reviews from OpenTable diners
68 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance3.4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (24)fit for foodies (14)good for groups (14)special occasion (10)kid-friendly (7)great for lunch (6)romantic (5)great for outdoor dining (5)late-night find (5)vibrant bar scene (4)great for brunch (3)hot spot (2)scenic view (2)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Give it a TryOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/24/2014Restaurant week is a great time to try a place you haven't been. We had an early Sunday dinner outside. The service was excellent, drinks excellent, food very good, and sitting outside was a little tight, but very enjoyable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- one wordglycerineDined on 8/16/2014Amazing my fiancee and I first time there and it was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Noisy and tastyLokeDined on 8/15/2014Upper bar, while full of TVs, it is not full of service. Downstairs, service was great, as was the food, but so noisy it was hard to hear my dinner mates' conversations.Special Features:
- Very impressed - enjoyable mealOtherNJDined on 8/13/2014In town for a week - this was a wonderful dining experienceSpecial Features:
- Nice surprise!JRivera127Dined on 8/11/2014We have been wanting to try Flat Iron for a few months and were pleasantly surprised at how good everything was. We had the appetizer sampler which was pretty good. The artichoke dip was a bit bland though. I had the prime rib (very lean and cooked perfectly to my request) my dining companion had a NY strip that he also enjoyed very much. The Caesar salad was a departure from the norm using some red leaf lettuce but it was really quite nice and the dressing perfect. Generous cocktails and decent wine list. Our waiter was the perfect amount of attentiveness and gave us good recommendations. Lots of interesting options other than steak! We will go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, awesome dessertPooch925Dined on 8/7/2014The food was amazing, and the fried candy desserts were perfect to finish off the meal. However, the ambiance is not that great. The bench seating was MUCH lower than the table, I felt like I needed a booster seat all night, which was very uncomfortable. The service was excellent, but the noise from the saloon upstairs carried downstairs to the restuarant. To me it is odd to have the saloon upstairs since this causes people to walk through the restuarant all night - again, takes away from the experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OK, but Nothing SpecialThadVIPDined on 8/3/2014On a Sun evening, it was our 1st visit: It took a long time to take drink orders. Our app of onion rings was decent but over-cooked and hard to chew. Two in our party ordered the prime rib...it came out with decent flavor but over-done (medium-well instead of medium rare) and it had this unappetizing gray look to it...not sure why. My flat iron steak had good flavor but was quite chewy and actually hard to cut. The fourth dish - a burger - was quite good. We shared a fried candy-bar dessert - it was waaay too sweet but got eaten in short order. Finally, echoing other reviews...the chairs were uncomfortable. Including 2 bottles of wine, our bill for 4 folks was $165. We ill not be back - just because there are better choices nearby.
- Great ValueccnJDined on 7/31/2014We were looking for affordable dining that would appeal to ourselves and our teen-age grand kid. This place hit the mark. We had the crab cakes which could hold their old with the best. The kids had Jambalaya and Bistro Steak and they were both happy and full.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lots to lovekathyinvaVIPDined on 7/31/2014There are so many things on the menu that sound interesting, it's a place worth returning to. The tater tots are an addictive beginning and everything else I and my friends have tried has been terrific. Prices are very reasonable. The staff is attentive but not clingy. I work just down the street and this is a great addition to the neighborhood.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/19/2014The food was wonderful and the waiter was knowlegable about the menu and wines. We will go back for the flat iron steak!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food-spotty serviceBdaygirlsDined on 7/16/2014Nice folks-but-our waiter was very slow and seemed a little out of it. However, the food was very good and we all enjoyed our meals. All the steaks were done to perfection. the sides and appies were delish. And-we really appreciated the complimentary birthday dessert.I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's just eh...OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/12/2014My husband and I went here on Sat night. I will say the apps were delicious, but the steaks we ordered were just ok. I ordered a filet medium which came out medium rare closer to rare but it was hard to cut it with the knife & it was really chewy. The chimichurri sauce had good flavor I just wish they put more on. My husband ordered the strip cooked medium which came out medium well & it was ok, but nothing to write home about. It was also really hot in there to the point where both of us were sweating & our waitress never came to refill our water even though she came to our table about 3 or 4 times during the meal & could see our empty glasses. The fried Oreos were good but by that time we just wanted to leave because we were so hot.
- Nothing Special...mcubbageVIPDined on 7/4/2014I had initially ordered the jambalaya, but the server told me to avoid that (which I appreciated), so then ordered the seared scallop risotto, which he told me that they no longer actually serve that. So, I ended up ordering the salmon and it was pretty bland. We ate here w/ a group of 6 and not one person made a comment about liking (or disliking) their food. Overall though, I would not return.
- Great MealMikeDDined on 6/28/2014Was looking for an upscale but casual/reasonable meal for two to celebrate my wife's birthday. We were impressed with the Open Table and Yelp reviews...and also with the owner's responses to the reviews, which told me how much he cared about pleasing the customer. Overall, the atmosphere was great (upscale but casual), the service was excellent (waitress didn't hover, but checked in frequently), and the food was amazing (I got the skirt steak and my wife got the NY Strip...and I especially loved the spinach au gratin). Had a great meal in a great setting. Will definitely visit again.
- Good but could improveOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 6/20/2014We finally made it to Flat Iron Steakhouse this weekend. I had very low expectations because a lot of restaurants on King Street seem to be touristy and expensive. Flat Iron exceeded my expectations in food, price and service. The food was good and the prices were reasonable. Both cuts of meat we had (the flat iron and prime rib) were cooked and seasoned well. . Our waiter was attentive and even more impressive was how engaged the manager was. He stopped by more than once to check on us. When our dessert took too long to come out, the managed took it off our check. My major complaint was how uncomfortable the chairs were. They were hard and sloped backwards into this really awkward position. It made the meal much less enjoyable.
- Great meal!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/15/2014While busy, the restaurant was not overcrowded or hectic. It was accommodating for an early dinner with an 8 month old and grandparents, and the food and service was outstanding. My steak was undercooked, and the situation was remedied quickly and without complaint. A+ experience.Special Features:
- A little disappointingAliJVIPDined on 6/14/2014I've been here multiple times over the past year or so and have had great experiences. Love their Flat Iron steak! My recent trip was a little disappointing, sadly. My food arrived "warm", as if it had been sitting for a bit. My Flat Iron steak, while tasty, was overcooked (I had ordered medium and it was closer to well done). I'm hoping it was just an "off" night. I am happy to report, however, that their fried candy bar desserts are AMAZING.
- Great Steak and Great ServiceBLDiningDined on 6/8/2014We had a lovely meal at Flat Iron. The steaks were cooked perfectly with a nice char on them. Yummy mashed potatoes and other side dishes. Portions were not too large, but filling. And they had a really nice creme brulee for dessert. Their wine selection was diverse and reasonably priced. The decor was fun - cowboyish, yet stylish. And the noise level was good - we had no trouble hearing one another. The wait staff was attentive but not overly and very friendly. I only crave steak on occasion, but I would certainly return here when I do.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good solid placealexfoodieVIPDined on 6/8/2014Took my family and inlaws there for my FIL's birthday. Steak was good, everyone liked their meal, reasonably priced. Godo service. I would definitely go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SenoraDined on 6/8/2014My husband and I went at 3pm on a Sunday and there were very few people there. We selected the window table. Our waiter was extremely attentive. I ordered the Flat Iron steak with Chimichuri, broccoli au gratin and potatoes au gratin. The portions looked small but I was very full. We ordered the deep fried oreos and the deep fried reese's cups. Delicious! Can't wait to return.Special Features:
- Still newOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/31/2014Everything was good, but my steak was over cooked! I was too hungry to send it back. In their defense, there was a huge table of prom kids. Manager took my dinner off the bill, which was very kind.
- Great Steak SelectionIzManDined on 5/30/2014My girlfriend and I loved the steaks we had! Our service was excellent, and my soup looked really pretty. It didn't have a spectacular taste though. I loved the steak selection, and my waiter recommended an excellent sauce (chimichurri) for it. Their dessert menu had great options on it as well!Special Features:
- Fabulous service & choice cutsRae08Dined on 5/28/2014This was our first experience and were looking forward to trying it out. Was not disappointed in the service or food. T-bone and prime rib were both choice cuts that were amazingly tender and left naturally flavored. While new to the restaurant, our server was another amazing surprise in that her personality, desire to ensure our experience was memorable and her all around super ability to provide quality professional service left us impressed with Flat Iron Steak & Saloon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yum YumOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/24/2014My overall experience at Flat Iron Steak & Saloon was great! Our waiter, Mike, was AWESOME, friendly and super attentive.Special Features:
- D grade for overall performance.badmanagementDined on 5/16/2014Chris (our server) was slowwwww with drinks. Food came out cold, steaks were delivered to the wrong people. When my friend (a chef) complained about his steak to the manager, he chuckled... 20% gratuity was added to the bill for a party of 7 so I guess they don't have to earn it!
- Great meal and experienceTopFun66VIPDined on 5/16/2014This was our second visit to Flat Iron. My wife had the fajitas and I had the 10 oz prime rib. Both meals were quite good and priced very well. We enjoyed them both and they were a good value. The service was outstanding, and they had great music playing at just the right level to add ambiance without being overpowering. All-in-all, a very nice meal and evening. We'll be back again.Special Features:
- Steak was greatSixTwo50Dined on 5/10/2014Took mom here for Mother's Day dinner. Chris out waiter was great. Mom had the prime rib. It was flavorful and tender. Cooked perfectly. Dad had the crab cakes, he enjoyed them. I had the combo fajitas. Delicious. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Casual with Solid EntreesmetalDined on 5/7/2014Good cocktails (808 Manhattan is especially good), don't miss the Parmesan Tots, and enjoy a filet!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor ChoiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/3/2014Poor choice for our 45 wedding anniversary!! Had Prime Rib which was noted on the menu as a Chef's pick, awful is the only word. Maybe and issolated instance on their part, but we will not return.
- The following 39 reviews are from the Flat Iron Steak & Saloon reviews archive.
- A Great FindOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/29/2014We both ordered the prime rib, which was seasoned very well, and quite good. But really, the veggies were terrific! Between us we had the spinach au gratin, potatoes au gratin, & broccoli au gratin (yes, a lot of au gratins!). The spinach was to die for good! Potatoes were yummy, broccoli was good as well, but not as good as the spinach. The chocolate cake for desert was moist and decadent. This was our first time here, but we will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved the setting, not the LobstertrReviewsDined on 4/29/2014Great ambience and I should have gotten a steak but, the lobster in the bisque and roll were overcooked. Everyone else in my party loved their plate though!
- Nothing Flat About Flat IronCapitanSourceVIPDined on 4/26/2014Great steak selections, good salads and some seafood, too. (Out of scallops the night we were there.) Generous portions, great prices, and super outstanding service! Can't find as good steaks for these prices elsewhere. A definite addition to Old Town. We'll be going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service. Great food.WoodpileDined on 4/20/2014Went with group for a Easter brunch. Menu was extensive--brunch and regular lunch choices. The waiter was knowledgable and gave great recommendations. Steak was cooked med rare perfectly. After waiter left to run our credit card, he came back and said this reflects your military discount thank you for your service. We gave him a puzzled look and he noticed the USAA credit card so knew we were military. It made our day. We love good customer service so we will be back for great food, great service!Special Features:
- Flat Iron Easter BrunchJeremyDined on 4/20/2014Brunch was overall very good. The parmagiana tots were a nice starter, and both my steak and my wife's sliders were delicious. I'd say the food is no frills but focuses on execution. The steak really was cooked perfect. We plan to try it for dinner next!Special Features:
- Great all-around restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 4/19/2014We have now had both dinner and brunch at Flat Iron and I must say, it is fast becoming our favorite place. The food is delicious - lots of choices and good wine list. We will be back on a regular basis.Special Features:
- Very disappointedkdinDined on 4/12/2014My boyfriend and I had been saying for weeks that we wanted to go to Flat Iron and were really excited when we finally got the opportunity. Which made it all the more disappointing when we dined there and the service was adequate at best, and the food was barely decent. Being named Flat Iron, we each had their signature flat iron steak and were both very underwhelmed. He had his steak medium well and I had mine medium and both of our steaks were dry and tough and bland. The waiter took entirely too long to come check on us and the wait staff who weren't helping us were rude in general, not even moving out of our way when we said "excuse us" on our way out the door while they finished up the conversation they were having.
- Loud, but quickvanilacokefokeDined on 4/12/2014I was at a two-person table and couldn't hear the person I was with, it was so loud. They had a saloon upstairs where there was a live act performing, but it was more of the closed-in space that made it so loud. The food wasn't bad, but it wasn't anything special. However, I have to say that the service was excellent. We got our appetizer two minutes after our drinks and dinner immediately after our appetizer and our bill immediately after we were finished eating. So, if you're in a rush and you want to grab a quick steak, I would recommend this restaurant to you.Special Features:
- Cool spotOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/9/2014I think i went too early which is fine by me as we got a table up in the bar area. I was shocked at how much seafood they had for being called "Flat Iron Steak" but all of it was well made and very quick. The calamari were w tad over cooked and the sauce that came with it was bland. The Caeser dressing was a little over done but the steak on top of it was awesome. Really really good.Special Features:
- Prime Rib was super fantasticKathyDined on 4/4/2014I made the reservation using OpenTable just 20 minutes before we arrived, so I was impressed when we walked in that they had placed a "Reserved for... with my name" on our table. The service was great the whole evening. My prime rib came with a small container of horseradish, a ramekin of creamed spinach finished with toasted bread crumbs, and a mounded scoop of mashed potatoes. It would have been nice if they'd had the traditional whipped cream horseradish sauce that accompanies prime rib, but they didn't. I asked for a small container of sour cream and was able to mix it with the horseradish and make my own. The creamed spinach was very good, but could have used a hint of nutmeg. I would go back again.Special Features:
- NICEJvo1972Dined on 3/29/2014IT WAS AN EXCELLENT TIME THERE. THE FOOD AND THE SERVICE WERE BOTH OUTSTANDING AND NICESpecial Features: